PDA

View Full Version : SOFTBALL: Region Final

pirate4state
05-21-2006, 12:46 AM
Please post, as available: location, times & dates to the following match ups.

REGION I

Clyde (26-3) vs. Abilene Wylie (21-8)
All games at Abilene Christian University
Game 1 - Clyde 6 Abilene Wylie 1
Game 2 - Clyde 13 Abilene Wyle 0 (5)
CLYDE advances

REGION II

Texarkana Liberty-Eylau (24-10) vs. Van (32-4-1)
Game 1: TLE 6 Van 4
Game 2: Van 5 TLE 0
Game 3: Van 6 TLE 5 (15)
VAN advances

REGION III

Barbers Hill vs. Splendora (31-1)
Barbers Hill 4 Splendora 0
BARBERS HILL advances

REGION IV

Sinton (29-8-1) vs. West Columbia (34-1)
Sinton 2 West Columbia 3
WEST COLUMBIA advances

Please help keep this thread at the top of the page! :) Good Luck to all Region finalist!! :clap:

GO LADY PIRATES!!!

pirate4state
05-21-2006, 12:49 AM
You should be able to vote one from each region! :thumbsup:

Old Tiger
05-21-2006, 01:13 AM
Abiline Wylie
Van
Splendora
West Columbia

pirate4state
05-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Please post teams records if you have them. Thanks! :) G'nite

nexfan
05-21-2006, 01:38 AM
West Columbia is either 34-1 or 35-1.

softball_mom
05-21-2006, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Please post teams records if you have them. Thanks! :) G'nite
Columbia 34-1 (34 wins in a row)

scrub c
05-21-2006, 06:41 AM
very impressive

Good Luck Lady 'Necks

txkmom
05-21-2006, 09:04 AM
Texarkana Liberty Eylau 24-10
Having a Cinderella year behind a freshman pitcher after finishing 3rd in district 14-3A. Have knocked off Sabine, Carthage, Lindale, Will's Point and just happy to still be playing! Nothing set yet for playing Van - conflicts with graduation an issue.

pirate4state
05-21-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by txkmom
Texarkana Liberty Eylau 24-10
Having a Cinderella year behind a freshman pitcher after finishing 3rd in district 14-3A. Have knocked off Sabine, Carthage, Lindale, Will's Point and just happy to still be playing! Nothing set yet for playing Van - conflicts with graduation an issue. :clap: Thanks and Good Luck! :)

wyliegrad04
05-21-2006, 08:14 PM
anyone know where/when the Clyde-Wylie matchup will be?
What was their scores during district?

pirate4state
05-21-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
anyone know where/when the Clyde-Wylie matchup will be?
What was their scores during district? District scores:

3/21/06 Clyde defeats Wylie 2-1
4/07/06 Clyde defeats Wylie 8-0

loyalleopard
05-22-2006, 12:16 AM
Go Lady Leopards........ Beat the Van Lady Vandals

Go Leopards....... Beat the Kennedale Wildcats

pirate4state
05-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Anyone have the Barbers Hill record???

BTEXDAD
05-22-2006, 02:48 PM
Anyone have the Barbers Hill record???

four losses and twenty something wins. Don't know exactly.
Two of the losses were to Splendora in district. Not sure of others.

txkmom
05-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Texarkana Liberty Eylau vs. Van

Friday - 7:00 pm - Sulphur Springs High School

Saturday - 1:00 pm - Marshall High School
(3:00 pm - Game 3 - if needed)

Good luck to you all!

Bandera YaYa
05-22-2006, 09:19 PM
GO WEST COLUMBIA AND SPURS!!!

Sinton94
05-23-2006, 09:26 AM
Good Luck Sinton Lady Pirates:D

wyliegrad04
05-23-2006, 03:24 PM
anyone going to the Wylie-Clyde game will want to get there really early. I would suggest getting there when the gates open ... not only is it a regional final, it is being played at ACU's Wells field which is very very small. One section of bleachers behind home plate ... Might fit 150? 200? Don't know if it is even that big.

oh yea ... GO WYLIE :)

pirateman98
05-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Who all is going to the WC and Sinton game? Who ever is going please send my love and support to those girls out there. Yell extra loud for me please.

GO LADY PIRATES!! :D

pirate4state
05-23-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by pirateman98
Who all is going to the WC and Sinton game? Who ever is going please send my love and support to those girls out there. Yell extra loud for me please.

GO LADY PIRATES!! :D :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I'll be there!! :D :D

Phil C
05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by pirateman98

GO LADY PIRATES!! :D

Ditto for me too! Go Lady Pirates!

OnceABucJr
05-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Especially for you BPhill - RA and I will be there! (hoping history does repeat itself - re '99)

TPlinebacker53
05-24-2006, 12:56 PM
i think clyde will beat wylie

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 10:00 AM
GOOD LUCK LADY PIRATES :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

District303aPastPlayer
05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
i think i will be at whataburger field tonight :)

SintonFan_inAustin
05-25-2006, 10:20 AM
i will be at what-a-burger field tonight also, would had been great if they played on different day. Lady Pirates Bring home a Region 4 Title Trophy:)

piratebg
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I'll be at home, wishing I was at Whataburger Field. Good luck tonight Pirates.

Buccaneer
05-25-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by wyliegrad04
anyone going to the Wylie-Clyde game will want to get there really early. I would suggest getting there when the gates open ... not only is it a regional final, it is being played at ACU's Wells field which is very very small. One section of bleachers behind home plate ... Might fit 150? 200? Don't know if it is even that big.

oh yea ... GO WYLIE :)
How many fans go to these games?

pirate4state
05-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
How many fans go to these games? That's what I'm thinking. I know for our girls it is the usual crowd especially since the boys are still playing. :rolleyes:

neck_94
05-25-2006, 08:56 PM
One is in the books,

West Columbia region IV

RBARKER
05-25-2006, 09:22 PM
Barbers Hill takes Region III

BH 4
Splendora 0

wyliegrad04
05-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Clyde beat Wylie 6-1 ... I think it was 6-1.

Wylie had more errors than hits ... not a good night for Wylie.

pirate4state
05-26-2006, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by RBARKER
Barbers Hill takes Region III

BH 4
Splendora 0

:clap: Congrats to Barbers Hill!!! 3rd time was the charm. ;) Good Luck at State!

neck_94
05-26-2006, 09:34 AM
So, does that mean BH lost to them twice in district?

(they are in the same district, right)

congrats BH

scrub c
05-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Wooo - Hoooo

I would like to see a
West Columbia vs Barbers Hill Championship game.

I know I know, it could happen 1st and or both teams still have to win to get there...

but I would like to see that match up for the CHAMPIONSHIP

RBARKER
05-26-2006, 07:36 PM
:clap: Congrats to Barbers Hill!!! 3rd time was the charm. ;) Good Luck at State!

Yes, BH lost twice to Splendora in District. First time Splendora won 2-1 in 8 innings second time Splendora won 3-1 in regulation. BH is playing well there pitcher is a Sophmore and so far out of six playoff games she has only allowed 2 runs and has thrown 2 no hitters. Another thing about this team is it only has on senoir on the team. BH should do well in 4A next year. Good luck to WC in Austin!!!

txkmom
05-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Texarkana Liberty Eylau over Van 6-4

Van had a 4-run inning early on LE errors to lead 4-0.
In the 4th, with 2 outs and bases loaded, the Van catcher drops the 3rd strike and none of the Van players realize so they start to leave the field - LE sends the runners and all three score after the catcher recovers the ball and 1st cannot make the play - ball rolls way out there. Batter makes it to 3rd and is base-hit in by the next batter. Tie ball game.
LE scores 2 more in the bottom of the 6th and holds Van (2K, 1 SS to 1st out in the 7th) to win.
What an exciting ballgame!
Game 2 Saturday in Marshall at 1:00.

LE boys beat Kennedale 6-2 in Tyler.

pirate4state
05-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Texarkana Liberty Eylau over Van 6-4

Van had a 4-run inning early on LE errors to lead 4-0.
In the 4th, with 2 outs and bases loaded, the Van catcher drops the 3rd strike and none of the Van players realize so they start to leave the field - LE sends the runners and all three score after the catcher recovers the ball and 1st cannot make the play - ball rolls way out there. Batter makes it to 3rd and is base-hit in by the next batter. Tie ball game.
LE scores 2 more in the bottom of the 6th and holds Van (2K, 1 SS to 1st out in the 7th) to win.
What an exciting ballgame!
Game 2 Saturday in Marshall at 1:00.

LE boys beat Kennedale 6-2 in Tyler.

WOW!! Good Luck tomorrow!!! :)

pirate4state
05-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Yes, BH lost twice to Splendora in District. First time Splendora won 2-1 in 8 innings second time Splendora won 3-1 in regulation. BH is playing well there pitcher is a Sophmore and so far out of six playoff games she has only allowed 2 runs and has thrown 2 no hitters. Another thing about this team is it only has on senoir on the team. BH should do well in 4A next year. Good luck to WC in Austin!!! I'm telling ya'll all of these clubs are YOUNG!! Sinton graduates 3 seniors, West Columbia 2, you guys 1 (and moving to 4A :clap: ) and TLE is young as is Splendora. Very good softball gonna be played in the next few years!! :thumbsup: :clap:

neck_94
05-27-2006, 06:38 AM
thanks txkmom

keep us informed

txkmom
05-27-2006, 07:01 AM
Our newspaper today said the Van catcher let the 3rd strike ball bounce before scooping it and rolling it back towards the mound, never touching home plate (bases were loaded) as they left the field. We all still swear she dropped it, too, but who knows? I think there were 10 shared errors in the game, but LE loading the bases and scoring 2 runs in the 6th made the difference.
Their pitcher struck out 13 and allowed 6 hits. Our freshman pitcher only struck out 5, but also allowed only 3 hits. I hope we can carry this into today. Will post tonight. Thanks for your good wishes.

pirate4state
05-27-2006, 10:08 AM
LADY VANDALS LOSE BIZARRE GAME ONE, 6-4
By: SHANE STARK, Staff Writer
05/26/2006

SULPHUR SPRINGS - It appeared Van was in total control - ahead by four runs against a team crumbling with Cara Hulme striking out batter after batter and experience on its side.

The Lady Vandals had a cushioned lead in their Class 3A Region II championship series - against a team that doesn't score many runs and had committed five errors in one inning alone.

But then - the bizarre.

As in Liberty-Eylau rallying to tie the game - three runs scoring on strikeouts.

As in Liberty-Eylau adding another two runs on a double-play attempt. As in the teams combining for 10 runs, none earned.

As in the favored Lady Vandals - state semifinalists last season - having reached the brink of elimination due to a 6-4 loss Friday night at Sulphur Springs High School.

Game 2 of the best-of-three series is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday. Game 3, if necessary, will follow.

"It's like I've said all along, you've got to be the lucky team," said Lady Vandals coach Suzanne Braly.

In unanswered fashion, Liberty-Eylau (25-10) scored four runs in the fourth inning and two in the fifth. The Lady Leopards, who received a complete-game three-hitter from freshman pitcher Lacey Middlebrooks, scored three runs amid confusion.

The confusion came when Lauren Armstrong went down swinging with two outs and the bases loaded, meaning Van (32-5-1) appeared to have escaped a major jam while still leading 4-0. However, the home plate umpire ruled that Van catcher Trish Crocker didn't catch the offering from Hulme, who on the game struck out 14 while giving up six hits.

Armstrong then took off to first, and the three Lady Leopards on base began to advance.

According to Braly, Crocker scooped the ball up and touched home to force the third out. According to Liberty-Eylau coach Steve White, however, Crocker scooped the ball up and flipped it back toward the pitcher's mound to signal the end of the inning.

Nevertheless, the ball ended up in right field and Liberty-Eylau had surprisingly closed its deficit to 4-3 with two outs.

Then the next batter, Ashlee Johnson, scored Armstrong on a single to right to tie the game at 4-4.

Van never crossed home again, its best chance coming in the sixth when Kristin Brey reached third.

Liberty-Eylau, on the other hand, loaded the bases in the sixth and scored the winning runs on a 1-2-3 double play attempt that first baseman Shannon Hullum couldn't field.

Game over.

"That was just a lack of focus," Braly said. "There are no excuses."

The bizarre world also favored Van. The Lady Vandals scored their only runs thanks to five errors by Liberty-Eylau in the third. Van's Christy Carter and Shelby Harris were credited with RBIs.

Leading the Lady Vandals at the plate were Chasity Smith (two singles), Harris (single, RBI) and Crocker (single).

Liberty-Eylau, which ousted 15-3A runner-up Lindale in the regional quarterfinals and Wills Point in the regional semifinals, was led by Middlebrooks (two singles), Lauren McDonald (two singles), Armstrong (single), Kaylee Treas (single) and Johnson (RBI single).

It was the first postseason loss for Van, appearing in its third straight regional final.

---

Class 3A Region II Final

(Best-of-3 Series)

Game 1

At Sulphur Springs High School

Liberty-Eylau 6, Van 4

Van 004 000 0 - 4 3 4

Liberty-Eylau 000 402 x -6 6 6

Cara Hulme and Shelby Harris; Lacey Middlebrooks and Haley Hardage; W - Middlebrooks (20-5); L - Hulme (26-4).

RECORDS - Van 32-5-1; Liberty-Eylau 25-10.

NEXT UP - Game 2: 1 p.m. Saturday, Marshall High School.

Story link (http://www.tylerpaper.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16702088&BRD=1994&PAG=461&dept_id=374749&rfi=6)

pirate4state
05-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Yes, BH lost twice to Splendora in District. First time Splendora won 2-1 in 8 innings second time Splendora won 3-1 in regulation. BH is playing well there pitcher is a Sophmore and so far out of six playoff games she has only allowed 2 runs and has thrown 2 no hitters. Another thing about this team is it only has on senoir on the team. BH should do well in 4A next year. Good luck to WC in Austin!!!

:clap:

Third time is charming for BH

By Michael Pineda
Baytown Sun

Published May 26, 2006

HUNTSVILLE — The Hill is going to Austin.

Splendora will have the honor of hanging a 2006 District 23-3A championship banner, but that was little consolation Thursday night. Barbers Hill, the second-place team in 23-3A, jumped on the Ladycats early and made the lead stick to capture the Region 3 championship and punch their ticket to the Class 3A State Tournament in Austin in the process.

In front of a sellout crowd on the campus of Sam Houston State University, the Lady Eagles made sure their last season in 3A was a memorable one with a 4-0 win over archrival Splendora. It was the first time in three chances that Barbers Hill had defeated the Ladycats this season.

“You always think about going to state,” BH head coach Kirk Hall said. “When you get there it is like a dream come true.”

The Barbers Hill offense had little problem getting the bat on the ball in the first two innings but in the third the contact paid dividends. Katie Stripling led off the third with a single and Lexi Stephens followed with a sacrifice bunt, but reached safely as Splendora’s Meagan Weldon could not handle the throw at first. A sacrifice bunt by Chandler Hall moved the runners to second and third to set up a big hit for Katie Blaylock.

On Blaylock’s first at-bat, the senior fouled out to first base, but the second time around hit a line drive to right center to score Stripling and Stephens for a 2-0 lead.

“We had to hit the ball and we knew that coming into the game,” Hall said. “We had not hit (Stephanie) Loge all year. We knew we had to get on them early.”

The Lady Eagles manufactured a run in the fourth inning to boost the lead to 3-0. Ashley Rasmus led the inning off and took one for the team by getting hit by a pitch. Rasmus stole second and advanced to third on a groundout by Alura Hernandez. With one out, a Stephanie Loge offering got past catcher Corley Call. Rasmus made the run for home plate and reached safely, as Call elected to make a throw to Loge instead of making the tag herself.

Meanwhile Splendora had several chances to get on the scoreboard but could not get the big hit. Four Lady Eagle errors and two walks gave the Ladycats several runners on the base paths despite only getting one hit off Hall.

In all Splendora stranded seven runners in the first four innings. Three of the stranded runners came in the first inning, as the Lady Eagles committed two errors and gave up a walk. But Hall struck out Shaun Bryan to end the threat.

“In the last three games we have loaded the bases in the first inning and got out of it,” Kirk Hall said. “We made some errors but we were good enough defensively to get past them.”

The Ladycats squandered another excellent scoring opportunity in the fourth inning as they placed runners on first and third with one out. Ciara Tullos grounded to third and Bryan took off for home at the crack of the bat. Blaylock made the play at third and threw a strike to Hernandez, who made the tag at the plate for the second out of the inning. A groundout to Jana Creel at second sent the game into the top of the fifth.

The Lady Eagles added an insurance run in the top of the seventh when Stripling, who was 2-for-3 on the night, came home from second base on an RBI single by Hall.

Barbers Hill collected seven hits off Loge for the evening. Splendora tallied three hits off Hall as the sophomore struck out six while walking two. In Barbers Hill’s six playoff wins, Hall has five shutouts, two no-hitters, and has given up only one run.

Alexa Lyday was 2-for-3 at the plate for the evening as was Stripling, who also scored two runs. Hall, Blaylock and Rasmus each had base hits on the night.

Story link (http://baytownsun.com/story.lasso?ewcd=95c03d2deab8a7ae)

flowerchick
05-27-2006, 08:28 PM
Hats off to Sinton softballs girls.... good game.
Daughter on WC team.

txkmom
05-27-2006, 09:55 PM
Van wins game 2 5-0, then a 15-inning game 3, 6-5. What a battle LE fought. Our LE pitcher was hobbled by a ball hit back into her ankle in game 2 and taken out in the 7th inning. She came back and pitched game 3 and she and the team never gave up. She pitched all 15 innings in game 3 - Van used both of their pitchers, the first of whom was hit in the face with a line drive. She came back and pitched, but the SS later finished the game for her. Good luck, Van, it was a tossup until the end.

pirate4state
05-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Van wins game 2 5-0, then a 15-inning game 3, 6-5. What a battle LE fought. Our LE pitcher was hobbled by a ball hit back into her ankle in game 2 and taken out in the 7th inning. She came back and pitched game 3 and she and the team never gave up. She pitched all 15 innings in game 3 - Van used both of their pitchers, the first of whom was hit in the face with a line drive. She came back and pitched, but the SS later finished the game for her. Good luck, Van, it was a tossup until the end. :clap: Incredible series!! :clap: Hats off to both clubs. It's a shame someone has to lose. :(