PDA

View Full Version : No Triple Crown this year, Bernardini wins Preakness

TheDOCTORdre
05-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro failed to finish at the Preakness as Bernardini — ridden by jockey Javier Castellano — won at Pimlico and another year will go by without a Triple Crown winner.

Moments before the Preakness was set to begin, Barbaro busted through the gates prematurely. Soon after the race began, Barbaro was pulled out of the race with a leg injury.
Barbaro was aiming to attempt what 10 horses have tried and failed to do since Affirmed in 1978 - become a Triple Crown champion.

There have been many Triple Crown close calls in the past decade, with six horses winning the first two legs in the last nine years. The closest came in 1998, when Real Quiet was nosed out at the wire in the Belmont Stakes, the final jewel in thoroughbred racing's crowning achievement. The most recent bid was a heartbreaker, too, when Smarty Jones was caught in the final 70 yards.

Bull Butter
05-20-2006, 06:11 PM
Ugly injury.
I just hope Barbaro is not going to have to be put down.

Steer Fever
05-21-2006, 02:02 AM
He doesn't he had to fractures and will have to have surgery on Sunday. Will he didn't get the triple crown and cost me alot of money today. Also he ahd a chacne tobe the next big horse. He wont be griping b/c now he will be able to make love all day for millions.

AggieJohn
05-21-2006, 07:57 AM
dang it, and i heard he was like the pujols of the sport...the horse was a man-child