PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Hires new basketball coach

football4life
05-20-2006, 03:05 PM
Canyon names Naz's Scarbrough new boys coach

Led Swifts to three Class 1A titles; ready to take over 'a great program'

By Roger Clarkson
roger.clarkson@amarillo.com

Mike Scarbrough is leaving one dream job for another.
After leading Nazareth to three state championships, Scarbrough has been hired as the head boys basketball coach at Canyon.

"As far as I'm concerned Nazareth is the best small school job in the state. But Canyon is one of those opportunities you can't pass up," Scarbrough said.

"It's a great community. It's a great program with high academics and high athletics. "It's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It's kind of a dream job."

Scarbrough piled up a 245-76 record in nine seasons at Nazareth.

His teams won Class 1A Division II state titles in 2002, 2003 and 2006. The Swifts also won the Texas Cup in 2003 and were a state finalist in 2001.

Scarbrough replaces Tim Webb, who resigned two weeks ago to become a principal in Wellington.

"We're excited to get him," Canyon ISD athletic director Todd Howey said. "We think he's a perfect fit for Canyon. He has an impeccable track record and he knows the way to Austin.

"One thing we know he can do is coach kids to play basketball."

Scarbrough is a native of Lorenzo and coached at Shamrock four seasons before moving to Nazareth. He has a 276-119 career record in 13 seasons.

In March, Scarbrough's Swifts beat Lipan, 53-48, to win the fourth state title in school history. Scarbrough was the coach for three of those teams.

"The hardest part about this is saying goodbye," Scarbrough said.

"I'm going to miss the kids here. They're great kids and I've had a lot of great memories here.

"But there's a lot of similarities between the kids here and the kids in Canyon. They're hard workers. They're good in academics. They're good athletes and they're used to success."

Scarbrough is the fourth former Nazareth head coach with state title credentials to join the staff at Canyon.

Head girls coach Joe Lombard, assistant girls coach Johnny Hampton and junior high girls coach Sandy Heiman also have strong Nazareth ties in their background.

Scarbrough's work load is expected to drop at Canyon. In addition to coaching basketball at Nazareth, Scarbrough also coached golf and football and filled in the gaps in any other capacity he was needed.

Scarbrough will only coach basketball at Canyon.

"That was a big thing for me. I'm going to get a chance to see my kids a lot more," Scarbrough said. "When you're doing so many things and you're on the road so much, you don't get to see your family nearly as much. From the start of two-a-days right up to the end of school, you're so busy you just don't see them much.

"This way I'll be a lot closer to home."

Mike Scarbrough

Career record: 276-119 in 13 seasons.

Record at Nazareth: 245-76 in nine seasons.

Accomplishments: Won Class 1A Division II state championships in 2002, 2003 and 2006. Won Texas Cup in 2003. State finalist in 2001.

Scarbrough joins Joe Lombard, Johnny Hampton and Sandy Heiman as the fourth former Nazareth head coach who won state championships to join Canyon's staff.

Johnny Utah
05-20-2006, 07:42 PM
Great Hire for sure. Word is Canyon is growing, might be 4a again. He will do very well and the people of Canyon will be very impressed.