PDA

View Full Version : Should we have a National Language?

neck_94
05-19-2006, 05:32 PM
flat out, YES or NO

piratebg
05-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Si. :D

GreenMonster
05-19-2006, 06:20 PM
yes. If you want to come here to prosper then you better speak our language.

espn1
05-19-2006, 09:34 PM
English is the National Language. What dumba$$ said no?

Adidas410s
05-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by espn1
English is the National Language. What dumba$$ said no?

Sir...there is no national language for America.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20011107.html

Keith7
05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
There shouldn't be a national language!! Are you guys trying to become communist?? This country is sopposed to be free, and people should be able to speak whatever language that they want. To say that everybody in this country should be forced to learn a certain language takes away something the country is founded on..

tap_tx_sinton
05-19-2006, 10:07 PM
YES YES YES did you say flat out i'm sorry YES

slpybear the bullfan
05-19-2006, 10:47 PM
Not communist to ask everyone to be able to communicate in commerce, etc.

You can speak whatever language you want to around this great nation. But we absolutely shoudl have on common language used in commerce, education, and government.

SintonFan
05-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
There shouldn't be a national language!! Are you guys trying to become communist?? This country is sopposed to be free, and people should be able to speak whatever language that they want. To say that everybody in this country should be forced to learn a certain language takes away something the country is founded on..
Very naive of you Keith. Again you hurt my feelings with your sharp naivity...:(
"Forcing someone to talk our language?"
How dare anyone expect to simply communicate with each other...:o
How dare we...
Besides, noone is asking one to GIVE UP their native tongue, just learn what you, I and everyone is doing NOW, speak in English. Goodness!:hand:

Bandera YaYa
05-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Hell yah we should have one....geezzzzzzzzzz. Do you know that in Southern California a Caucasion went in to apply for a job at a McDonalds and because he couldn't speak Spanish, the manager (Mexican) didn't hire him....NOT THAT'S PLAIN WRONG!! Couple in my office today is moving outta there cuz they said they are tired of paying for illegals kids to go to school. They said a 2 bedroom apt goes for about $1400 for a "legal" American.....but is subsidized to an illegal for $60. Plus when they leave to go back to Mexico in the fall, they dump their mattresses and junk at Walmart parking lots or on the roads....they just don't care.....I was in shock whten they told me that!
anyways...we gotta do something...I have no problem with anyone becoming legal to live here....and pay what I would have to pay!

espn1
05-19-2006, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Sir...there is no national language for America.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20011107.html Any real American Knows what our National Language is.

Bandera YaYa
05-19-2006, 11:24 PM
Any real American Knows what our National Language is. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: AND, GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

espn1
05-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: AND, GO SPURS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 10-4

Bandera YaYa
05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
10-4 ...GOOD BUDDY!!! GO SPURS GO!!

Adidas410s
05-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Any real American Knows what our National Language is.

I was just stating that there is not an OFFICIAL national language.

Ranger Mom
05-20-2006, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Hell yah we should have one....geezzzzzzzzzz. Do you know that in Southern California a Caucasion went in to apply for a job at a McDonalds and because he couldn't speak Spanish, the manager (Mexican) didn't hire him....NOT THAT'S PLAIN WRONG!! Couple in my office today is moving outta there cuz they said they are tired of paying for illegals kids to go to school. They said a 2 bedroom apt goes for about $1400 for a "legal" American.....but is subsidized to an illegal for $60. Plus when they leave to go back to Mexico in the fall, they dump their mattresses and junk at Walmart parking lots or on the roads....they just don't care.....I was in shock whten they told me that!
anyways...we gotta do something...I have no problem with anyone becoming legal to live here....and pay what I would have to pay!

My daughter was looking into various colleges to become a medical assistant. We were told she had one strike against her going in...she's not bilingual, she only speaks good old English.

espn1
05-20-2006, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My daughter was looking into various colleges to become a medical assistant. We were told she had one strike against her going in...she's not bilingual, she only speaks good old English. That's El Bull Crap. But! It's good to speak a second language.

Old Tiger
05-20-2006, 09:22 AM
I do not think we should have to learn a second language.

CHS_CG
05-20-2006, 09:29 AM
Of course there should be a National Language. I am sick and tired of people coming into this country expecting to get sh!t handed to them and not have to work for it. If we go to say France, they arent gunna be like "well lets learn English for the American's" they are gunna speak French and we will have to adapt to that. Why should it be any different here?? IT SHOULDNT point period blank the end!

Old Tiger
05-20-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by CHS_CG
Of course there should be a National Language. I am sick and tired of people coming into this country expecting to get sh!t handed to them and not have to work for it. If we go to say France, they arent gunna be like "well lets learn English for the American's" they are gunna speak French and we will have to adapt to that. Why should it be any different here?? IT SHOULDNT point period blank the end! DITTO

Ray_BearKat
05-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I was under the assumption that English was our national language...

Ray_BearKat
05-20-2006, 10:33 AM
My daughter was looking into various colleges to become a medical assistant. We were told she had one strike against her going in...she's not bilingual, she only speaks good old English.

She more then likely doesn't need it and sure we shouldn't be forced to learn another language...but it is so helpful to know other languages. I was watching a special a few months back on Education in America and they were comparing us to other countries. I was shocked at how far behind we seem to be from others around the globe. I mean we complain about having to learn spanish and kids in the Netherlands are learning 4 or 5 languages in HS.

Gobbla2001
05-20-2006, 10:42 AM
It'd be nice to have a National Language, but how would that be enforced? What all would it change?

Speak what you want, just have the balls to say what you're saying about me in your language TO me in MY language...

And also, if you're trying to tell me, an American who speaks English that you need something important, how in the hell am I gunna get it for you if you can't speak to me?

A very, very, beautiful, HOT girl at work speaks little English at all, but she's cool as hell we flirt all of the time...

Anyhoo she asks me one day "Derick why you not speak Spanish" (you get the point) and I forget how I answered but later on I thought back on it and was like "Wow, she asked how come I don't speak spanish?" Do they really want us to?

I want to learn spanish for two reasons... #1 so I figure out what in the hell they're saying when they're in their clicks and #2 so I can hit on the lolitas at work...

Ray_BearKat
05-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Not all Mexicans think that way I read an article a few weeks ago in the Vally Morning Star about a border town in Mexico that believes that Americans shouldn't use spanish as a national language...they mentioned that different countries hold different things dear to them...and English is as American as apple pie. We shouldn't have to compromise that.

Ranger Mom
05-21-2006, 12:29 PM
I don't the Spanish the kids learn in school helps them out one single bit.

The only thing I retained from Spanish Class was the Pledge of Allegience....almost 30 years later, not one single hispanic that I have met and said it to understood what I was saying!

The Spanish they teach in schools and the Tex-Mex that is spoken here seem to be two different languages to me!

SintonFan
05-21-2006, 12:41 PM

The only thing I retained from Spanish Class was the Pledge of Allegience....almost 30 years later, not one single hispanic that I have met and said it to understood what I was saying!

The Spanish they teach in schools and the Tex-Mex that is spoken here seem to be two different languages to me!
LOL
So true!
I remember taking two years of Spanish in HS. I wanted to practice with some of my friends who spoke Tex-Mex and they literally laughed and scoffed at me. Well, there went my ability to retend most of my Spanish back then.
When my wife and I went to Puerto Vallarta for our honeymoon some years later, I did get to use my broken knowledge of Spanish and was actually able to converse with suprising accuracy.:)

SintonFan_inAustin
05-21-2006, 12:48 PM
Good luck if u feel u dont need to speak or understand another language.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-21-2006, 12:50 PM
what u learn in spanish class is the correct spanish:) , but not very helpful here as its different meanings on several words .

SintonFan
05-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
what u learn in spanish class is the correct spanish:) , but not very helpful here as its different meanings on several words .
I know. Even with my friends ribbing me, I still retained alot. But I had to go to Mexico to find that out.
I also believe that if anyone knows a second or third languge it's a major advantage to those who learn and should be encouraged. Now forcing others to do something they don't wanna do is rediculous. Let individuals make their own choices on what they so choose to do.

kaorder1999
05-21-2006, 01:01 PM
i found it weird that we dont have a national language. while in office Clinton made language our common language or something like that.

Phantom Stang
05-21-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Not communist to ask everyone to be able to communicate in commerce, etc.

You can speak whatever language you want to around this great nation. But we absolutely shoudl have on common language used in commerce, education, and government.
Well said Slpy.:clap:

sinfan75
05-21-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Good luck if u feel u dont need to speak or understand another language. nothing wrong with learning another language but all a national language does is tell immigrants you wanna live here learn english! Geez all the Europeans that came over all learned english so they would have a common language. My great grand-parents and grand parents were very fluent in german but they spoke english when in public and when us kids were around. They spoke german when we were around but when spoke to us it was in english.

Gobbla2001
05-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Yah, you learn the correct spanish in spanish class, but not the correct mexican/south america spanish...

My ex-girlfriend and I almost got into an arguement last week (surprise surprise) about a word in spanish... I told her what it means to the people who work out in my plant and she kept saying "no, you say it like this" and I said "Yes, that may be how you were taught, but THIS is how they talk FOR REALLLLL"...

sinton66
05-21-2006, 01:51 PM
Classes in Spanish in the US are in Castillian or "proper" Spanish such as is spoken in Spain. Although all Hispanic language has the same roots, they are quite different in word pronunciations and meanings.

And yes, America is entitled to have a national language. What would the French say if forced to learn Arabic? 60% of the French population is from the middle east now.

neck_94
05-21-2006, 08:45 PM
good discussion

yo quiero english

Emerson1
05-21-2006, 09:08 PM

The spanish you learn in school and the spanish mexicans speak isn't even the same thing. I asked some of my mexican friends who know spanish why they don't just take an exit test and get the credit for the classes. They said it was because they wouldn't be able to pass, the spanish they know is slang. Just like most of us speak some kind of slang english.

spiveyrat
05-22-2006, 07:10 AM
Just think of the amount of money taxpayers wouldn't be charged if the government didn't print every single form in multiple languages.

cdlvj
05-22-2006, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
nothing wrong with learning another language but all a national language does is tell immigrants you wanna live here learn english! Geez all the Europeans that came over all learned english so they would have a common language. My great grand-parents and grand parents were very fluent in german but they spoke english when in public and when us kids were around. They spoke german when we were around but when spoke to us it was in english.

And what are doing in European countries these days, Teaching their kids English!

There are different dialects of Spanish. Same thing between the Bohemians and Moravians, basic stuff the same but many words are different. Even some differences between Northern Moravia (80% immigrants in Texas) and Southern Moravia.

neck_06
05-22-2006, 07:50 AM
YES.........flat out.

pancho villa
05-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Hable inglés

wedo
05-22-2006, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Keith7

Exactly what i think!!!! If there is an official language it would be too hard for all immigrants!!! Many immigrants want to learn english but it takes time. Enlish is one of the hardest lanqueges to learn!! You can't expect some one to come to this country and pick up on english right away!!! Thats why they have those pieces of paper with one side english and the other spanish, and those bilinquil classes in public schools!!!!

I speak Spanish and im glad i know spanish b/c i am proud of where i came from and of who i am!!! And when i have kids i will teach them spanish b/c i want them to know who they are!!!

mustang04
05-22-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Exactly what i think!!!! If there is an official language it would be too hard for all immigrants!!! Many immigrants want to learn english but it takes time. Enlish is one of the hardest lanqueges to learn!! You can't expect some one to come to this country and pick up on english right away!!! Thats why they have those pieces of paper with one side english and the other spanish, and those bilinquil classes in public schools!!!!

I speak Spanish and im glad i know spanish b/c i am proud of where i came from and of who i am!!! And when i have kids i will teach them spanish b/c i want them to know who they are!!!

well be proud of where u came frome....but i dont think that i should have to learn a language of people entering our country....if they want help, they need to learn english!! i think its ridiculous that we are expected to learn spanish for the ppl who are too lazy to learn the most spoken language. especially in a country where it is MOST fluent.....my words for all them..... TOUGH TITTY!!! ( i dont know how u say it in spanish and i frankly dont care!!!)

ps: its LANGUAGE not lanqueges

also..when i think of making english the OFFICIAL language...who said that it means people will be enforced to learn it???? i just think it should mean that people dont have to have a history of spanish to get hired on in a job....so if the spanish speakers refuse to learn english, they can try and get by as well as they can

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
well be proud of where u came frome....but i dont think that i should have to learn a language of people entering our country....if they want help, they need to learn english!! i think its ridiculous that we are expected to learn spanish for the ppl who are too lazy to learn the most spoken language. especially in a country where it is MOST fluent.....my words for all them..... TOUGH TITTY!!! ( i dont know how u say it in spanish and i frankly dont care!!!)

ps: its LANGUAGE not lanqueges

also..when i think of making english the OFFICIAL language...who said that it means people will be enforced to learn it???? i just think it should mean that people dont have to have a history of spanish to get hired on in a job....so if the spanish speakers refuse to learn english, they can try and get by as well as they can

Dude your trippin!!! First of all i was trying to say that yes i think they should learn english but you can't expect them to know english has soon as they enter the county!! Thats why there should be people to help them such as bilinqual people!!! There are a lot of immigrants trying to learn english and it is extremely hard for them if they come from a country that is poorly educated but without the help how would they learn!!!! Its people like you that piss me off that think you are better than everyone else just b/c of where you come from!!!

mustang04
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
Dude your trippin!!! First of all i was trying to say that yes i think they should learn english but you can't expect them to know english has soon as they enter the county!! Thats why there should be people to help them such as bilinqual people!!! There are a lot of immigrants trying to learn english and it is extremely hard for them if they come from a country that is poorly educated but without the help how would they learn!!!! Its people like you that piss me off that think you are better than everyone else just b/c of where you come from!!!

i never said i was better?!?! whats ur malfunction???

AND PLUS....im not COMMING from anywhere!!!! thats the WHOLE POINT!!!!!! I am an american that is HERE, i was born here, and i live here..and ill die HERE....the IMMIGRANTS are the ones COMMING from somewhere, so why should i have to learn their language when they come HERE when ive LIVED HERE MY WHOLE LIFE?????

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:20 PM

you didn't have to say you were!!! I don't have a malfunction i was just telling you what i think!!!!

mustang04
05-22-2006, 01:22 PM
you didn't have to say you were!!! I don't have a malfunction i was just telling you what i think!!!!

ohhhh.....what YOU think????? so i cant say what I think???? so i say what i think and you ASSUME i claim to be better than other people????? heres what else I think....you put th prefix in assume

mistanice
05-22-2006, 01:24 PM
We live in Texas where the official languages are English and Spanish if that means anything to ya.

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:24 PM

AND PLUS....im not COMMING from anywhere!!!! thats the WHOLE POINT!!!!!! I am an american that is HERE, i was born here, and i live here..and ill die HERE....the IMMIGRANTS are the ones COMMING from somewhere, so why should i have to learn their language when they come HERE when ive LIVED HERE MY WHOLE LIFE?????

You can't put yourself in some one else's shoes can you???

mustang04
05-22-2006, 01:26 PM
You can't put yourself in some one else's shoes can you???

can you????

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:28 PM
ohhhh.....what YOU think????? so i cant say what I think???? so i say what i think and you ASSUME i claim to be better than other people????? heres what else I think....you put th prefix in assume

I wasn't trying to say you can't say what you think!!! By what you said i think that you ASSUME your better than people!! Thats my opinion and i could care less what you think of me!!!!

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:30 PM
can you????

Yes i can see where you don't think you should have to learn another lanquage!! But no one is making you!!! You think that immigrants should learn english on ther own!!!

mustang04
05-22-2006, 01:31 PM
I wasn't trying to say you can't say what you think!!! By what you said i think that you ASSUME your better than people!! Thats my opinion and i could care less what you think of me!!!!

well u didnt say think...you said something like: people like me piss you off because we think we are better than others because of where we come from

thats the the exact quote of course...but its the main point

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Yes i can see where you don't think you should have to learn another lanquage!! But no one is making you!!! You think that immigrants should learn english on ther own!!!

So in other words you don't want to learn another lanquage but you think that somebody else should!!!

Yeah i know we are in America but remember there is no official lanquage!! There are plenty of immigrants willing to learn english!!!

mustang04
05-22-2006, 01:39 PM
So in other words you don't want to learn another lanquage but you think that somebody else should!!!

Yeah i know we are in America but remember there is no official lanquage!! There are plenty of immigrants willing to learn english!!!

i said they dont have to.....but they shouldnt expect us to know spanish.....they come over here EXPECTING things, and i cant stand that, you have NO CLUE where im comming from and cant possibly understand why i HATE illegal immigrants

and for CRYING OUT LOUD....LEARN HOW TO SPELL LANGUAGE!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

mistanice
05-22-2006, 01:47 PM
i said they dont have to.....but they shouldnt expect us to know spanish.....they come over here EXPECTING things, and i cant stand that, you have NO CLUE where im comming from and cant possibly understand why i HATE illegal immigrants

Like it or not, knowing spanish now a days will help you when looking for a job. My brother just got a job because none of the other applicants were fluent in spanish.

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:48 PM

whatever fool im tired of arguing with you!!!!

LANQUAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST FOR YOU!!!!!!!!LANQUAGE

Of course i know how to spell it!!! If i would have spelled it right i would have enjoyed making you mad!!! Maybe one day some one will knock some sense into you!!!!!

mustang04
05-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Like it or not, knowing spanish now a days will help you when looking for a job. My brother just got a job because none of the other applicants were fluent in spanish.

i do know that....im not an ignorant hillbilly that doesnt know anything...hell i have spanish credits and i can speak some spanish, im just saying that i dont think it should be required in schools or anything..... if americans want to get ahead of the game for their future careers, sure, let them take an optional spanish course!

zeus63
05-22-2006, 01:54 PM
i do know that....im not an ignorant hillbilly that doesnt know anything...hell i have spanish credits and i can speak some spanish, im just saying that i dont think it should be required in schools or anything..... if americans want to get ahead of the game for their future careers, sure, let them take an optional spanish course!

I didn't say what I thought you think i was thinking at the time that I thought it, because you thought that I think what you do.

It's like arguing with a brick wall dude, the only way you are gonna win is by hiring a wrecking ball to come in a knock it down for you.

wedo
05-22-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
I didn't say what I thought you think i was thinking at the time that I thought it, because you thought that I think what you do.

It's like arguing with a brick wall dude, the only way you are gonna win is by hiring a wrecking ball to come in a knock it down for you.

Funny!!!!!

zeus63
05-22-2006, 01:59 PM
Funny!!!!!

Glad you think so, but I was talking to Mustang04

wedo
05-22-2006, 02:00 PM

do you know why China has the most population in the World????
B/C they stay within there race!!! Just think if Mexicans did that!!!! Within 50 years more than 80% of Americans will be some sort of hispanic!!!

zeus63
05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
do you know why China has the most population in the World????
B/C they stay within there race!!! Just think if Mexicans did that!!!! Within 50 years more than 80% of Americans will be some sort of hispanic!!!

You mean skin color don't you? As far as I'm concerned there is only one race, THE HUMAN RACE!! It's ignorance like that that keeps everybody from getting along in the first place.

mustang04
05-22-2006, 02:11 PM
You mean skin color don't you? As far as I'm concerned there is only one race, THE HUMAN RACE!! It's ignorance like that that keeps everybody from getting along in the first place.

technically not even skin color....its culture:)

just helpin

mustang04
05-22-2006, 02:12 PM
so how about Lebron and Cleveland!!!!:clap:

zeus63
05-22-2006, 02:20 PM
technically not even skin color....its culture:)

just helpin

Thanks, appreciate that.

EricDraven
05-22-2006, 02:23 PM
so how about Lebron and Cleveland!!!!:clap:

Yes, how about King James (puke) sittin' in his mansion today..watching the PISTONS!:clap:

TheDOCTORdre
05-22-2006, 02:32 PM
i've watched this thread go on for a couple of days and it it quite humerous if you ask me. I do believe that knowing more than one language is very beneficial, but that does not just apply to Americans knowing Spanish, it is also very beneficial to Mexicans/hispanic/latinos/whatever you prefer to know English as well. IMO tho if we are going to have a National Language we need to make sure we start at home, and I dont mean in your own house I mean in the USA, because if we are going to tell immigrants who come here they need to learn English, we damn well better make sure that everyone who is born and raised here in the US of A can read and write decent English because IMO one of the saddest things to see is a student in high school, who has lived in America all their life not know how to read or write properly in a language they were born and raised in.

mustang04
05-22-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
Yes, how about King James (puke) sittin' in his mansion today..watching the PISTONS!:clap:

hey now...dont talk smack down on him....i was complimenting him!!!!

TheDOCTORdre
05-22-2006, 02:37 PM
hey now...dont talk smack down on him....i was complimenting him!!!!
ya it wasnt his fault that the rest of his team shot 9-41 from the field of course you could say it is his fault that he only had 6 pts in the 2nd half but I like to credit Detroits defense with that

mustang04
05-22-2006, 02:39 PM
[i] who has lived in America all their life not know how to read or write properly in a language they were born and raised in. [/B] and YOU know this from experience hahaha

j/k, good post dre!

everybody....listen to this guy! we had english together, he was almost as good as me:D :D

dre...remember reid and I?? whenever we'd make those noises? haha, the teacher had no clue what sound we were doing haha

TheDOCTORdre
05-22-2006, 02:42 PM
and YOU know this from experience hahaha

j/k, good post dre!

everybody....listen to this guy! we had english together, he was almost as good as me:D :D

dre...remember reid and I?? whenever we'd make those noises? haha, the teacher had no clue what sound we were doing haha
i wil give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are better than me in English because you're always writing those dang poems about you and your life and heartbreak and all that stuff. Ya I remeber you and bish making those noises, that was hilarious. Do you remember when we made some people cry during English?

mustang04
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
i wil give you the benefit of the doubt and say you are better than me in English because you're always writing those dang poems about you and your life and heartbreak and all that stuff. Ya I remeber you and bish making those noises, that was hilarious. Do you remember when we made some people cry during English?

hahaha...and in world history and U.S. history haha

but i remember that certain someone was hott once upon a time

TheDOCTORdre
05-22-2006, 02:54 PM
hahaha...and in world history and U.S. history haha

but i remember that certain someone was hott once upon a time
do you remember in english when the school first got the A/V room we would always ask if we could go in there and when we got there all the guys would do is go up to the podium and play with the cameras?

mustang04
05-22-2006, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
do you remember in english when the school first got the A/V room we would always ask if we could go in there and when we got there all the guys would do is go up to the podium and play with the cameras?

hahaha....yep...that zoom sure did come in handy hahaha:D :clap:

TheDOCTORdre
05-22-2006, 03:00 PM
those were the days man, good times with the Union haha

wedo
05-22-2006, 03:32 PM

Actually i did mean curlture!!!! And if your trying to imply that i am a racist i am far from it!!!