PDA

View Full Version : Realligment

Gobbla2001
12-18-2003, 03:45 PM
If you watched Fox Sports Southwest this past Saturday during the halftime of the 5A Division 1 Championship game, you may have heard the interview involving the UIL's Athletic Director...

One of the things he discussed was the 6A deal... He said we will not have a 6A for now and will keep the 3-team playoff format and that trimming will take place in 3A...

So... Where do you think, not want the trimming to take place (don't know why I didn't specify this in the origional post)???

<small>[ December 18, 2003, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Gobbla2001 ]</small>

Gobbla2001
12-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Okay, if you voted (or if not, whatever) discuss here...

I voted for most of it to come off of the top...

I don't want it that way, but that's the way I think they'll do it (and I could be WAY wrong)...

I think 2A is set-up perfectly right now, so I don't think they're going to want to mess with that classification... That's my main reason...

I wish they'd just go equally... Load some into 4A, then some into 2A, but I think they're going to take it off of the top, meaning we might not see WOS at all...

CHS_Grad '85
12-18-2003, 04:13 PM
I have to agree... I'd like it to be fair and have both ends adjusted... but I don't see that happening... they'll take it from the top... either way, I don't see it affecting us too much... we fall right in the middle... just wonder how the alignment will change our district...

Old Green
12-18-2003, 05:26 PM
I would like to see it come cut from both ends.
3A has always been an odd ball classification,even back when I was in school.

They may hve to go with around 174 schools like in the 70's to be fair.

JasperDog94
12-18-2003, 06:16 PM
So would it be fair for the 250 teams that would have to compete in 4A? It's never going to be perfect, but they have to try to equal out the number of schools. That's what it'll come down to.

olddawggreen
12-18-2003, 07:04 PM
I voted for it to come off the bottom :D Just shoot me, this is the only time I get to be selfish this month! wink

luiscfrmNorthwoodUniv
12-18-2003, 07:19 PM
it makes more sense from the top.

lotus67
12-18-2003, 08:17 PM
bottom

callandraise
12-18-2003, 09:53 PM
I don't care whether they take it off the top or bottom or out of the middle some adjustments need to be made.I do know that Ballinger ended up playing the last two years in 3A with a 2A enrollment.From the people I have talked to at various games this year I think in west texas we are going to see 4A'S and 3A'S going to 2A even if they leave the cutoffs where they are.Out here we ran out of oil in the 80'S,water in the 90'S and now we're running out of people.
Oh well at least we have plenty of room for those of us who are left.

callandraise
12-18-2003, 09:58 PM
I meant to say 4A's going to 3A and 3A'S going to 2A.

aamove
12-18-2003, 11:10 PM
A little at the top and a little at the bottom.

<small>[ December 18, 2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: aamove ]</small>

SintonFan
12-19-2003, 12:46 PM
It's gonna come from the top.

rholl
12-19-2003, 02:07 PM
Ok help me understand the whole realignment issue.
OK 3a says they have a beef because of the disparity in enrollments in the whole class some schools are too big against schools that are too small. So I used the UIL site and found Everman has 896 ( large school) and Celina has 347 (small school), thats 547 kids difference. Then I go to 5a and looked up Plano East and Rockwall both in the same district, Plano enrolls 5481 and Rockwall enrolls 2544, for a difference of 2937 kids. Then I compare 3a with 547 and 5a with 2937. I'm not a numbers guy so maybe I'm missing something but the big problem looks to be 5a to me. I'm just glad I'm not one of the guys that has to sort out this mess every 2 yrs!!

callandraise
12-19-2003, 06:24 PM
banned again

Old Cardinal
12-19-2003, 06:37 PM
To Kholl: I think that they figure that the disparity spread above 2000 enrollment is not as big an issue as 300-900 in 3A...You can only put 11 on the field in 5A also. Enrollment is an issue in all classifications but is more acute in the 3A spread. I look for the giant 3As to move to 4A....I just heard that a paper mill in Lufkin shut down putting over 600 out of work. Look for that to affect the school enrollment within driving distance of that facility. Manufacturing jobs are declining at an increasing rate in the USA. Service and Technological skill jobs are booming, folks are just going to have to get new training skills or live at a lower standard of living, especially in more rural Texas.

<small>[ December 19, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Owen B
12-19-2003, 06:53 PM
rholl, ratio is more significant than difference.

A hundred pounds difference between two sumo wrestlers wouldn't mean much. A hundred pounds difference between two high school wrestlers would.

callandraise
12-19-2003, 07:12 PM
The UIL is looking at this from the standpoint of percentage. 5481 is 2.15 times as much as 2544,896 is 2.58 times as much as 347.

Gobbla2001
12-19-2003, 07:32 PM
rholl... Think about it this way...

This comes from my mind and my mind only, this is a way to figure things out here...

In 3a say a school has 900 kids and the other has 350... Say half of the school population at both schools are boys, so they boys would be:

450 boys
175 boys

Okay, now say that only a quarter of them wanna play ball...

In school one (900 enrollment) they'll have 118 boys out for football (Remember, just outta my mind, these numbers aren't backed by facts)... Say 22 play on freshmen team, 22 on JV and the rest on Varsity... That would give you 74 players on Varsity for school one...

In school two (350 enrollment) you'll have about 43 athletes out for football... Meaning you'd have less to chose from...

Now, remember, this is using a little math, that's all... I've seen 900 enrollment schools put out less players than the 350 enrollments...

BUT, do your numbers with 5A big and small schools, not that big of a difference when you have that many students...

EL GO TO
12-20-2003, 02:12 AM
In my humble opinion the UIL should use the towns economy as the major factor when realignment is decideed.

Mall=5A

Super Walmart and more than one major car lot= 4A

Two name brand grocery stores, one fast food chain and a major car lot chain =3a

A big grocery store, and one fast food chain. =2A

All the reest of you poor bastards =1A

El got to go

slpybear the bullfan
12-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Now that was creative!

EL GO TO:
In my humble opinion the UIL should use the towns economy as the major factor when realignment is decideed.

Mall=5A

Two name brand grocery stores, one fast food chain and a major car lot chain =3a

El got to go

underware
12-22-2003, 03:15 PM
Howdy Gobbla. yeah, take from the top. I agree with ya dude. Hey, when will they have the new UIL info? Any ideas? Lator, Gator

zippy
12-22-2003, 04:00 PM
EL GO TO
Scrub
Member # 2812

Rate Member posted December 20, 2003 01:12 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mall=5A

El got to go
Hey, I'll go for this breakdown. That would make my Burnet Bulldogs 2A. Maybe, just maybe, we could win the big one in 2A... :D

rimcutter
12-23-2003, 01:51 AM
I think the way that UIL has it set up rite now is fine. if school are complaining about the disparity in enrollment sizes and the number of kids in one program verses another then maybe they should try to get more kids to come out. Falls City has 98 students and qualifies to play six man football Shiner is is close to being 2a. Besides shiner loss in the state title the only other team to beat them was a falls city team that had only 30 players on the sidelines when they put their JV out there.

shinigdam
12-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Realignment between clasifications will always have both some positives and some negatives. No matter what is done, someone ( several ) will get what they feel as nothing short of being screwed. Its just like a setting up a gov't program that is done with the best of intentions. Some will benefit. SOme will not. Some will take advantage, some will not. What I do know is that I agree with Rholl......I would not want the UIL's job.