PDA

View Full Version : "Da Vinci Code"

pancho villa
05-19-2006, 08:47 AM
Who all is going to see it?
Great book! Hope the movie is as good.

AggieJohn
05-19-2006, 08:53 AM
Cannes Film Festival laughed at it......

The Catholic Church has told it's members not too see it.....

I've got tickets for tonights show...

pirate44
05-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Cannes Film Festival laughed at it......

The Catholic Church has told it's members not too see it.....

I've got tickets for tonights show...
i think religion is important to a lot of people. i dont plan on seeing it for the same reason, i wouldnt see a so-called "fictional" movie about my mother that tried to contradict everything i know her to be.

big daddy russ
05-19-2006, 09:15 AM
I'm going to see it in about four hours, but I don't think the movie will live up to the book. Great book.

Didn't shake up my religious beliefs at all. Whenever you hear something, take 15 minutes out of your day, get on Google, and do some research of your own. I found out that many of the "facts" in this book were only half-truths or were very misleading in other ways.

Still, it was entertaining and clever and I'm curious to see how the movie turns out.

Bullaholic
05-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Churches provide a place for you to practice your religion......movie theatres provide a place for your entertainment.

AggieJohn
05-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I'm going to see it in about four hours, but I don't think the movie will live up to the book. Great book.

Didn't shake up my religious beliefs at all. Whenever you hear something, take 15 minutes out of your day, get on Google, and do some research of your own. I found out that many of the "facts" in this book were only half-truths or were very misleading in other ways.

Still, it was entertaining and clever and I'm curious to see how the movie turns out.

exactly, people need to learn you can see something against your beliefs and not consider it evil....

i think if you go your whole life sheltering yourself from stuff like this, your not ready to defend your faith when people bring it up....

zeus63
05-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
i think religion is important to a lot of people. i dont plan on seeing it for the same reason, i wouldnt see a so-called "fictional" movie about my mother that tried to contradict everything i know her to be.

That's the thing most people don't understand. The book "The Da Vinci Code" is a fiction book, and if you read the preface to it, it is presented as a work of fiction.

pirate44
05-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
exactly, people need to learn you can see something against your beliefs and not consider it evil....

i think if you go your whole life sheltering yourself from stuff like this, your not ready to defend your faith when people bring it up....
i have no problem defending my faith without seeing it. would you go see a movie portraying your mother as a prostitute? my faith and religious beliefs are important to me and im not going to support a movie that tries to cloud the truth. whether its entertainment or not. it has nothing to do with sheltering.

pancho villa
05-19-2006, 09:25 AM
I'm a Catholic and it did'nt affect my beliefs. It is a NOVEL! Very good book though. I am going to bring my 15 year old son and he understands it is fiction. He also read the book.

pirate44
05-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
I'm a Catholic and it did'nt affect my beliefs. It is a NOVEL! Very good book though. I am going to bring my 15 year old son and he understands it is fiction. He also read the book.
im not going to see it and i know its fiction. im not going around telling people not to watch it. but there are just as many people saying if you DONT watch it, you are insecure and being "sheltered".

pirate4state
05-19-2006, 09:30 AM
im not going to see it and i know its fiction. im not going around telling people not to watch it. but there are just as many people saying if you DONT watch it, you are insecure and being "sheltered". You are so insecure!!! :p :p :p :D :D :D ;)

pirate44
05-19-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You are so insecure!!! :p :p :p :D :D :D ;)
:tongue: :D

BU97
05-19-2006, 10:36 AM
I had heard of the book and knew that it was a best seller but never knew anything about it. When I found out what it was about I was first shocked and maybe offended, BUT after that wore off I wanted to read it just to see what the fuss was.

I don't know if I will read the book, watch the movie or both. I don't think that it is going to make me doubt what I believe and people who take a book or movie as fact are pretty insecure (sp?).

I know that my church has started a study on the Da Vinci Code, so that people can be prepared to answer questions of non believers after they have seen the movie.

On another not, the Houston Chronicle said the movie was not good.

pirate4state
05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by BU97
On another not, the Houston Chronicle said the movie was not good. It hasn't been getting great reviews. I have yet to see a movie live up to the buzz of a good book.

spiveyrat
05-19-2006, 11:22 AM

I'm with ya! :thumbsup:

piratebg
05-19-2006, 11:40 AM
I'll see it just because. I have never read the book, but I love to go see movies the church says not to. The Exorcist, Stigmata, Dogma......all good movies in my mind. Oh, and I am Catholic, too.

pirate4state
05-19-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
I'll see it just because. I have never read the book, but I love to go see movies the church says not to. The Exorcist, Stigmata, Dogma......all good movies in my mind. Oh, and I am Catholic, too. :thumbsup: You're such a REBEL!! :D

Ranger Mom
05-19-2006, 01:12 PM
It seems boring to me! I have TONS of other movies I would rather spend $7.75 on!

SintonFan
05-19-2006, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It seems boring to me! I have TONS of other movies I would rather spend $7.75 on!
Like X-Men!!!:clap:
That's entertainment.

pirate44
05-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
im holding out for "Cars"

spiveyrat
05-19-2006, 02:48 PM
im holding out for "Cars"

Me too! Mah boy wants to see it. :)

sahen
05-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It hasn't been getting great reviews. I have yet to see a movie live up to the buzz of a good book.
in general for me, if the "experts" say the movie sucks then i normally like it....if they say the movie is good then i think its horrible....so maybe i should go see it?....I already told my dad i'd go w/ him cause he read the book, I refuse to read the book before i see the movie because normally if i do that i am highly disappointed in the movie.....

big daddy russ
05-19-2006, 04:08 PM
For once, I agree with the experts. Just too much info in the book. Hard to cram into a 2.5 hour movie.... and a 2.5 hour movie is a little too long for me anyways.

If you've read the book, you know how it ties a bunch of history and background into the story. You leave the movie theatre still scratching your head. Also, it didn't have a real climax. It just kind of tied the story up at the end... and Ron Howard took his sweet time doing that.

You'd be better off spending the $15 on the book than the $15 on movie tix for you and your sweetie. Go see M:I-3.

smustangs
05-19-2006, 09:13 PM
im goin to see it on saturday