PDA

View Full Version : former Daingerfield and Baylor star headed to college hall of fame

lostaussie
05-18-2006, 07:34 PM
May 16, 2006

From the national ballot of 77 candidates and a pool of hundreds of eligible nominees, Ron Johnson, chairman of The National Football Foundation & College Hall of Fame, announced the 2006 College Football Hall of Fame Division I-A Class, which includes the names of 13 All-America players and two legendary coaches. Among the 13 players in the Class of 2006 is former Baylor standout free safety Thomas Everett, who starred for the Bears from 1983-86.

Everett becomes the ninth individual from Baylor to be inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame, following in the footsteps of Barton Koch (1974), James Ray Smith (1987), Lawrence Elkins (1993), Bill Glass (1985), Coach Morley Jennings (1973), Mike Singletary (1995), Coach Grant Teaff (2001) and Hayden Fry (2003).

Playing under the tutelage of College Football Hall of Fame coach Grant Teaff, Everett was a leader during one of the program's most successful eras as the Bears won 30 games and appeared in three bowl games. "Thomas is very representative of the qualities of young men we were able to recruit to Baylor from the state of Texas," said Teaff. "He was a great player, student and person. Thomas came from a small high school but he turned out to be one of the finest players in Baylor history and one of the finest young men to ever play at Baylor."

A two-time First Team All-America selection, Everett earned unanimous honors in 1986, played in the Hula Bowl and received the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back. Twice named Southwest Conference Most Valuable Player and First Team All-Conference, he was voted the conference's Athlete of the Year for the 1986-87 school year.

Named to Baylor's All-Decade of the 1980s Team, Everett ranks among the school's top 10 in career interceptions (12), tackles (325), punt returns (80) and punt return yards (766). A member of the Baylor Athletics Hall of Fame, he led his team in punt return yards three times.

Drafted in the fourth round of the 1987 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers, Everett enjoyed nine seasons in the NFL with the Steelers, Dallas Cowboys and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Currently, he resides in Dallas, Texas.

injuredinmelee
05-18-2006, 07:43 PM
Everett was a beast. I loved watching him play. Saw Grant Teaff monday also. Love visiting with him every year.

injuredinmelee
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
coincidentally I also speak with the man that still holds the Aggie single season interception record. Hes way over 80 yrs old and a pain in the buttocks but its cool that his record has stodd since like the 30's. Dub Sibley is his name by the way.

lostaussie
05-18-2006, 07:47 PM
going back in my memory bank, i think Everett was a senior on the 83' team that gave up a total of 8 points in 16 games. also had a national record 14 shutouts:doh:

AggieJohn
05-18-2006, 10:50 PM
thanks phil c