PDA

View Full Version : Jason Terry suspended...

BreckTxLonghorn
05-18-2006, 05:37 PM
I didn't see anything that bad...did anyone else?!

Mavs' Terry suspended one game without pay
Associated Press

DALLAS -- Mavericks guard Jason Terry will miss Game 6 against the San Antonio Spurs on Friday night after being suspended one game by the league Thursday for punching San Antonio's Michael Finley in the closing seconds of Game 5.

The punch likely occurred either when or after Terry was on the ground trying to control a loose ball. San Antonio's Manu Ginobili and Finley tied him up, forcing a jump ball with 3.4 seconds left. Terry missed a shot after that, allowing the Spurs to hold on for an 98-97 victory that kept the Mavericks from advancing to the conference finals.

Dallas still leads the series 3-2. If San Antonio wins, Game 7 would be Monday night on the Spurs' home court.

After practice Thursday, Terry was finishing shooting before speaking to reporters when he was called to the locker room by coach Avery Johnson. He didn't return. There was no immediate comment from club officials.

District303aPastPlayer
05-18-2006, 05:38 PM
he punched him in the scramble that led to the last Mavs possession

Old Tiger
05-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Go Spurs!

Emerson1
05-18-2006, 06:03 PM
David Stern is trying hard to get his game 7. TP made the play of the night grabbing dirks jersey on the tip attempt.

big daddy russ
05-18-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
David Stern is trying hard to get his game 7. TP made the play of the night grabbing dirks jersey on the tip attempt.
So you're saying that the Mavs finally got screwed on a foul call? Once in five games? I'd take that any day of the week.

crabman
05-18-2006, 06:31 PM
he punched him in the scramble

What part of the anatomy is the "scramble"? :D

Emerson1
05-18-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
So you're saying that the Mavs finally got screwed on a foul call? Once in five games? I'd take that any day of the week.
Did I say anything about the refs? Sorry I'm not a spurs fan. I can admit that my team actually played bad.

SintonFan
05-18-2006, 07:27 PM
Did I say anything about the refs? Sorry I'm not a spurs fan. I can admit that my team actually played bad.
Sounds like some hard feelings. BTW, most folks believe both teams played at a high level last night. Do all Mavs fans look down on us poor, uneducated Spurs fans or are you just special...:rolleyes:
I don't like the thought of Terry being suspended for this game. You know that Dallas was pumped going home, but this will get them frantic. It will most likely serve to Dallas' advantage.

big daddy russ
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
The Spurs have only outplayed a team twice out of 12 times this postseason, and last night wasn't one of those games. Last night was neck-and-neck. SA got more energy from Ginobili (for this first time these playoffs) and Parker, Bowen and Duncan were big, but they still need more from their bench. They're going to have to start playing like they mean business if they want to win this series.

Back on topic, Duncan can't get a call to save his life. He's been getting more and more desperate this series, and it showed last night. Refs have been horrible and the games are starting to get away from them.

But then again, I'm just a Spurs fan. What do I know?

beer30
05-18-2006, 08:18 PM
spurs going fishing saturday!

SintonFan
05-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by beer30
spurs going fishing saturday!
I bet they'll have a ball doing it, if so...:D

AggieJohn
05-18-2006, 10:48 PM
youi know david stern is drooling thinking that their might be a dwade/shaq vs. lebron east. conf. final....and a nash vs. novaifjeakfski west. conf. final

SintonFan
05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
youi know david stern is drooling thinking that their might be a dwade/shaq vs. lebron east. conf. final....and a nash vs. novaifjeakfski west. conf. final
You folks and your conspiracies...:rolleyes: :doh: :D

injuredinmelee
05-19-2006, 07:38 AM

There is no way the Spurs can shoot that lights out again in game 6 in Dallas. The Mavs will win tonight and get soem rest in before the conference finals begin. GO Mavs and Go Clippers!!!

seasick4
05-19-2006, 08:18 AM
NBA is all RIGGED anyways....All they care about is someone vs. someone...Its not team vs. team. I cant stand to watch it anyways.

Why not fine the guy instead of suspending him...Hell he didnt even get a technical....

Adidas410s
05-19-2006, 08:20 AM

Wait...what's that Russ??? The Spurs have had how many more fouls called on them than the Mavs? Oh wait...that's right...they haven't!!! The Mavs have had 2 more fouls called on them than the Spurs during the series through Game 5. We just have enough depth on our team that our big guys don't foul out of a game!!! :thumbsup:

Phil C
05-19-2006, 08:20 AM

It wouldn't have happened if the refs would have called the foul on Terry. I missed it during the game but last night ESPN showed it over and over again and it was so obvious.

Phil C
05-19-2006, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Wait...what's that Russ??? The Spurs have had how many more fouls called on them than the Mavs? Oh wait...that's right...they haven't!!! The Mavs have had 2 more fouls called on them than the Spurs during the series through Game 5. We just have enough depth on our team that our big guys don't foul out of a game!!! :thumbsup:

Ad! Everyone knows the Spurs always basically play a good, clean game. There is no arrogance on this team.

Phil C
05-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Sounds like some hard feelings. BTW, most folks believe both teams played at a high level last night. Do all Mavs fans look down on us poor, uneducated Spurs fans or are you just special...:rolleyes:
I don't like the thought of Terry being suspended for this game. You know that Dallas was pumped going home, but this will get them frantic. It will most likely serve to Dallas' advantage.

With him out of the lineup I would be willing to take that chance! :)

DaHop72
05-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Ad! Everyone knows the Spurs always basically play a good, clean game. There is no arrogance on this team. SHOW SOME COMPASSION PHIL

Adidas410s
05-19-2006, 08:26 AM
While I'm not going to dispute what Terry did...there are two problems that I see with this "issue"...

1) Watch the replay and you will see that Michael Finley came down on Jason Terry's head. I honestly doubt that Terry was intentionally trying to inflict any type of malice against Finley. With 3 seconds left in the biggest game of your life...you just don't do something stupid like that.

2) The precedent for this type of scenario was already established by the league in the last round of the playoffs when Reggie Brown of Denver and Chris Kaman of the Clippers had their little "incident." Brown was fined $10,000. Was that too light of a punishment? Yes probably...but the NBA had already set a precedent for this year's playoffs so to now deviate from it was very poor judgement on their part IMO.

Adidas410s
05-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Ad! Everyone knows the Spurs always basically play a good, clean game. There is no arrogance on this team.

No arrogance...but they sure know how to whine with the best of them! ;)

Macarthur
05-19-2006, 08:46 AM
While I'm not going to dispute what Terry did...there are two problems that I see with this "issue"...

1) Watch the replay and you will see that Michael Finley came down on Jason Terry's head. I honestly doubt that Terry was intentionally trying to inflict any type of malice against Finley. With 3 seconds left in the biggest game of your life...you just don't do something stupid like that.

It was a scramble for the ball. Happens all the time. You can't know his intent, but you can clearly see that he made a punching motion. Precedent has been set in the league; If you throw a punch, you sit. It's clear and has been enforced over and over again.

2) The precedent for this type of scenario was already established by the league in the last round of the playoffs when Reggie Brown of Denver and Chris Kaman of the Clippers had their little "incident." Brown was fined $10,000. Was that too light of a punishment? Yes probably...but the NBA had already set a precedent for this year's playoffs so to now deviate from it was very poor judgement on their part IMO.

These are two different situations. The league could find no visual evidence of Brown actually pulling his package. The league has been quoted in at least two articles I have read this morning discussing the difference in these two situations, and their explaination seems reasonable to me.

If you are interested in precedent, throwing a punch has been an automatic suspension. Period. The league has been very firm on that for several years.

Mavs fans should be upset with Terry. As for your comment about not doing something stupid at that point of a game, Terry has quite a history of bone headed moves.

Phil C
05-19-2006, 09:32 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION! :mad:

big daddy russ
05-19-2006, 09:34 AM
It's not about the number. It's about the fouls that were called.

If the UT hoops team played a five-game series with A&M and the number of fouls called were even for each team, would that make it fair? UT averaged like 7 PF's per game throughout the regular season while A&M lived in the double bonus. Granted, the Spurs are more physical than UT, but it still doesn't make the calls right.

Duncan should've never fouled out the other night. One foul was called when Dirk stepped on Timmy's foot, two more were fouls against Duncan (both times by Dampier), and the last one should've been a no-call.

Duncan's been getting more and more frustrated as the series has gone on, with good reason. They say that superstars always get calls. Not in this sereis.

I think David Stern had a talk with the officials before the game on Wednesday, because that was the first decent officiating that I've seen all series long.

Adidas410s
05-19-2006, 09:53 AM
It's not about the number. It's about the fouls that were called.

If the UT hoops team played a five-game series with A&M and the number of fouls called were even for each team, would that make it fair? UT averaged like 7 PF's per game throughout the regular season while A&M lived in the double bonus. Granted, the Spurs are more physical than UT, but it still doesn't make the calls right.

Duncan should've never fouled out the other night. One foul was called when Dirk stepped on Timmy's foot, two more were fouls against Duncan (both times by Dampier), and the last one should've been a no-call.

Duncan's been getting more and more frustrated as the series has gone on, with good reason. They say that superstars always get calls. Not in this sereis.

I think David Stern had a talk with the officials before the game on Wednesday, because that was the first decent officiating that I've seen all series long.

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :flamingma

big daddy russ
05-19-2006, 10:02 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!! :flamingma
LOL

eagles_victory
05-19-2006, 11:10 AM
he has gotten calls all his career im tired of seeing Timmy "*** Bag" complain about every call that goes against him with that same goofy facial expression.

Gobbla2001
05-19-2006, 12:14 PM
This really sucks... now if the Spurs win the series we will hear "IT WAS BECAUSE TERRY WAS SUSPENDED Y'ALL GOT LUCKY"...

*** Bag? 3 rings, not bad for a *** Bag!!!

But I will show some compassion and end my reply here :D ...

Go Spurs!!!

SintonFan
05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
he has gotten calls all his career im tired of seeing Timmy "*** Bag" complain about every call that goes against him with that same goofy facial expression.
lol
Goofy expression...
I'd take Timmy and his three rings and whatever goofy expressions he cared to make. Sounds like it kinda gets to people.:p

SintonFan
05-19-2006, 12:32 PM
No arrogance...but they sure know how to whine with the best of them! ;)
I guess Nowitskis looks of disbelief when a call doesn't go his way doesn't count for whinning...:p

Gobbla2001
05-19-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
lol
Goofy expression...
I'd take Timmy and his three rings and whatever goofy expressions he cared to make. Sounds like it kinda gets to people.:p

But no one talks about Dirk curling his lip every time a foul is called on him... WHY? Because winners don't care what the losers do (AKA: been there, done that, worrying about winning is what folks used to winning do, the little crap is irrelevent)...

And no one talks about the person who taught Tim Duncan how to complain, AVERY JOHNSON... AJ was a BIG baby out there (and with plenty of reason)... I remember how he'd look at the ref, cock his head to the side and give them the "What The Hell Was That" look through an almost crying face and then stomp his feet and swing his arms like a child in the toy section at Wal-Mart getting told "No, I'm not getting that for you"...

Or about Mark Cuban getting ticked off EVERY call as well...

Not everything is one-sided in this series, mostly folks are seeing through green/blue colored glasses...

Gunna be a helluva a game tonight, no matter who makes faces...

The fact is, Dirk's a great player, AJ was a great player and is now a great coach, and Cuban is obviously a great owner... people hate on the great people... you'll never hear anyone rag on the facial expressions of the crappy players on crappy teams...

SintonFan
05-19-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
But no one talks about Dirk curling his lip every time a foul is called on him... WHY? Because winners don't care what the losers do (AKA: been there, done that, worrying about winning is what folks used to winning do, the little crap is irrelevent)...

And no one talks about the person who taught Tim Duncan how to complain, AVERY JOHNSON... AJ was a BIG baby out there (and with plenty of reason)... I remember how he'd look at the ref, cock his head to the side and give them the "What The Hell Was That" look through an almost crying face and then stomp his feet and swing his arms like a child in the toy section at Wal-Mart getting told "No, I'm not getting that for you"...

Or about Mark Cuban getting ticked off EVERY call as well...

Not everything is one-sided in this series, mostly folks are seeing through green/blue colored glasses...

Gunna be a helluva a game tonight, no matter who makes faces...

The fact is, Dirk's a great player, AJ was a great player and is now a great coach, and Cuban is obviously a great owner... people hate on the great people... you'll never hear anyone rag on the facial expressions of the crappy players on crappy teams...
You mean faces like these?
http://img422.imageshack.us/img422/8171/dirknowitzki9ct.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/1592/resygetimg4ww.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
If you look carefully at the last pic, he's making a face and noone is around him.:D