PDA

View Full Version : Silver Boot Series 2006

Keith7
05-18-2006, 02:58 PM
The most anticipated series of the year is finally upon us.. The first three games of the famous silver boot series will be played over the weekend.. The rangers have taken it the past 3 years and have been known as the "Champions of Texas" through out Texas during this time.. This may be the biggest series in Texas going on right now.. Do you think the slumping astros have what it takes to finally overtake the Rangers to finally be known as the best baseball team in texas??

SintonFan_inAustin
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
First game on Friday, looks like Astros have the edge with Rangers using there 5th starter and hes being called up from Triple A. i have tickets for Saturdays game and Sundays both Rangers victories:D

Adidas410s
05-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
First game on Friday, looks like Astros have the edge with Rangers using there 5th starter and hes being called up from Triple A. i have tickets for Saturdays game and Sundays both Rangers victories:D

Yeah with Tejeda starting for Texas...just pencil in a W for the Astros

District303aPastPlayer
05-18-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
This may be the biggest series in Texas going on right now

quit kidding yourself.

Emerson1
05-18-2006, 06:04 PM
Baseball season started?

SintonFan_inAustin
05-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Baseball season started?

:eek: basketball hasnt finish? havent they been playing since november :D jeez just end the misery already for the spurs fans:p

Bull Butter
05-18-2006, 07:12 PM
The most anticipated series of the year is finally upon us.. The first three games of the famous silver boot series will be played over the weekend.. The rangers have taken it the past 3 years and have been known as the "Champions of Texas" through out Texas during this time.. This may be the biggest series in Texas going on right now.. Do you think the slumping astros have what it takes to finally overtake the Rangers to finally be known as the best baseball team in texas??

Most anticipated series of the year for who??? As an Astros fan, I say with certainty that I get more worked up about the Astros playing the Cardinals or Cubs and even the Reds (this year) than I do the Rangers. I think most Astros fans would agree with me.

This just shows where each team's fans' priorities lie. The Rangers fans are more worried about beating the Astros and claiming a "silver boot" while the Astros fans are concerned with beating the St. Louis & the Cubs and getting to the playoffs.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-18-2006, 07:16 PM
one time in a blue moon they make it to the world series and u talking like they make a run at it every year:doh: yeah its hard to get excited since Rangers keep beating them by 18+ runs in a game the past two years. talk about getting whipped:D

Keith7
05-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

the Astros fans are concerned with beating the St. Louis & the Cubs and getting to the playoffs.

What kinda boot do u get for winning those series??

Bull Butter
05-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Go back and check the NL Central standings the past 10 years and you'll know what I'm talking about. Each one of those seasons, the division was won by either STL, CHI or HOU. Except for the 2000 season, the Astros have been in the playoff chase every year since the NL Central was formed. I'm sorry if it hurts the Rangers fans feelings that we dont get all geeked up for this meaningless series but the bottom line is what's more important. The fact is that Houston is a perennial playoff contender. Each season they have a legitimate shot of playing well into October. You can talk about Houston's lack of success in those playoffs, but the Rangers lack of success is even more glaring, so I wouldn't go there. Neither team has exactly set the baseball world on fire in October. A Lone Star series in the month of October would be great!

NL Central Standings.....
1995- (1) Cincy (2) HOUSTON (3)Cubs
1996- 1) St. Louis (2)HOUSTON (3) Cubs
1997- (1) HOUSTON (2)Pittsburgh (3) Cubs
1998- (1) HOUSTON (2)St. Louis (3) Cubs
1999- (1) HOUSTON (2) Cincy (3) Pittsburgh
2000-(1) St. Louis (2) Milwaukee (3) Cubs (4)HOUSTON
2001- (1) HOUSTON (2) St.Louis-Wild Card (3) Cubs
2002- (1) St. Louis (2) HOUSTON (3) Cincy
2003- (1) Cubs (2) HOUSTON (3) St. Louis
2004-(1) St. Louis (2) HOUSTON-Wild Card (3) Cubs
2005- (1) St. Louis (2)HOUSTON-Wild Card (3) Milwaukee

As you can see, the Astros have finished either first or second in their division 10 of the past 11 seasons.

In closing, I'm not gonna say that the Lone Star series isn't big, because it is. Yes, there's bragging rights on the line. Is it bigger than a series with the Cardinals or another division contender? No way!

Keith7
05-18-2006, 08:14 PM
Go back and check the NL Central standings the past 10 years and you'll know what I'm talking about. Each one of those seasons, the division was won by either STL, CHI or HOU. Except for the 2000 season, the Astros have been in the playoff chase every year since the NL Central was formed. I'm sorry if it hurts the Rangers fans feelings that we dont get all geeked up for this meaningless series but the bottom line is what's more important. The fact is that Houston is a perennial playoff contender. Each season they have a legitimate shot of playing well into October. You can talk about Houston's lack of success in those playoffs, but the Rangers lack of success is even more glaring, so I wouldn't go there. Neither team has exactly set the baseball world on fire in October. A Lone Star series in the month of October would be great!

NL Central Standings.....
1995- (1) Cincy (2) HOUSTON (3)Cubs
1996- 1) St. Louis (2)HOUSTON (3) Cubs
1997- (1) HOUSTON (2)Pittsburgh (3) Cubs
1998- (1) HOUSTON (2)St. Louis (3) Cubs
1999- (1) HOUSTON (2) Cincy (3) Pittsburgh
2000-(1) St. Louis (2) Milwaukee (3) Cubs (4)HOUSTON
2001- (1) HOUSTON (2) St.Louis-Wild Card (3) Cubs
2002- (1) St. Louis (2) HOUSTON (3) Cincy
2003- (1) Cubs (2) HOUSTON (3) St. Louis
2004-(1) St. Louis (2) HOUSTON-Wild Card (3) Cubs
2005- (1) St. Louis (2)HOUSTON-Wild Card (3) Milwaukee

As you can see, the Astros have finished either first or second in their division 10 of the past 11 seasons.

In closing, I'm not gonna say that the Lone Star series isn't big, because it is. Yes, there's bragging rights on the line. Is it bigger than a series with the Cardinals or another division contender? No way!

Win the astros get 1st or 2nd in the division are they then known as the "Champions of Texas"?? No!

If the Astros don't want to be the best baseball team in Texas they should stop playing the rangers, and everyone should just recognize the rangers as the one and only Champs of Texas

Emerson1
05-18-2006, 08:42 PM
Texas longhorns are the only baseball champs in Texas.

Keith7
05-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Texas longhorns are the only baseball champs in Texas.

how?? they didn't beat the Rangers or the Astros.. and i have a feeling that if they did play they would more then likely lose to both those teams

AggieJohn
05-18-2006, 10:44 PM
Most anticipated series of the year for who??? As an Astros fan, I say with certainty that I get more worked up about the Astros playing the Cardinals or Cubs and even the Reds (this year) than I do the Rangers. I think most Astros fans would agree with me.

This just shows where each team's fans' priorities lie. The Rangers fans are more worried about beating the Astros and claiming a "silver boot" while the Astros fans are concerned with beating the St. Louis & the Cubs and getting to the playoffs.

this kind of has an A&M/Texas/OU vibe to it

RMAC
05-18-2006, 11:22 PM
To all the Astros fans, just like Keith said in October last year; How could the Astros REALLY be the champions of the world if they couldn't be the champions of Texas? To me, that's like saying the starting varsity QB couldn't start for the freshmen team. It just doesn't make sense.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-19-2006, 03:17 AM
From MLB.Com

Texas haunt 'em
Rangers at Astros

Just what the Rangers needed, another Alamo: The Astros may not have won the World Series, but at least they got there. Unlike the Rangers, whose postseason glass ceiling has been the Division Series. Says Mark Teixeira, "We don't want to play second fiddle to the Astros in our state."

spiveyrat
05-19-2006, 06:24 AM
What kinda boot do u get for winning those series??

For St Louis, it's one with a high arch.

For Chicago, it's one with an aerodynamic design.

:D

Think about it. ;)

RMAC
05-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Their all just mad Keith.

Bearkat
05-19-2006, 09:43 AM
I love this time of year!!! Silver Boot Series is upon us. RANGERS and astros. The RANGERS win, again, and prove who the champions of Texas are.

Keith7
05-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Looks like Astros took the first game, but the rangers dominated the whole game except the 8th, should make for another good game tonight

Gobbla2001
05-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Looks like Astros took the first game

Yah, I think that's what it looked like...

but the rangers dominated the whole game except the 8th

They did, but the Astros dominated the 8th with the bases loaded... W...

should make for another good game tonight

Let's hope so, been horrible seeing 'em blown away by the Giants...

Also, I could give a rats booty about this series right now, I just want to see the Astros get some freakin' wins...

Gobbla2001
05-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Yah, I think that's what it looked like...

They did, but the Astros dominated the 8th with the bases loaded... W...

Let's hope so, been horrible seeing 'em blown away by the Giants...

Also, I could give a rats booty about this series right now, I just want to see the Astros get some freakin' wins...

Oh, wasn't trying to be negative Keith, read my reply and it came out that way... I was just on a quoting-spree...

:D

AggieJohn
05-20-2006, 01:11 PM
how's that whole rangers thing going their keith....nice loss last night HAHAHA

SintonFan_inAustin
05-20-2006, 02:05 PM
The odds were Astros should had won friday with no problem with their ace on the mound and rangers using a call up from minors but Rangers almost had that game, now these next two games is all Rangers:D

Gobbla2001
05-20-2006, 06:24 PM
The odds were Astros should had won friday with no problem with their ace on the mound and rangers using a call up from minors but Rangers almost had that game, now these next two games is all Rangers:D

Shhhhh, everybody be quiet and listen, I just think I heard someone say Almost... did you hear that guys? :p

sahen
05-20-2006, 08:58 PM
one time in a blue moon they make it to the world series and u talking like they make a run at it every year:doh:
im pretty sure when ur in the playoffs almost every year thats considered making a run at the world series....

i'd rather lose the silver boot series and be playing in october than win it and not have a post season birth....the past 4 years the series is at 2-2.....the 2 times the astros won they didnt go to the post season, the 2 times they lost they did, i had a lot more fun the 2 years we lost the series than the 2 that we won....consequently, the rangers didnt go to the playoffs any of those years....thank god im an astros fan! go 'stros!

bccards
05-21-2006, 08:25 PM
HOUSTON -- Jason Lane might find a bottle of champagne at his locker this week courtesy of right-hander Taylor Buchholz.
It was Lane's two-run, eighth-inning home run on Sunday afternoon in the Astros' 5-0 win against the Rangers that gave Buchholz the extra cushion needed to pitch the ninth and complete his first Major League game.

"When Lane hit the home run, I figured I'd be going back out there," Buchholz said. "So, thanks Jason."

Buchholz wasn't out there long in the ninth, even though he dealt with the heart of the Rangers' order in Michael Young, Mark Teixeira and Hank Blalock.

He retired them on just three pitches, which gave the Astros the series win and the Silver Boot for the Lone Star series.

"I thought they might kind of sit back a little, because I know they are aggressive," Buchholz said of the ninth. "I thought they might try to work the count, but I'll take a three-pitch inning any day."

Young agreed with Buchholz's assessment.

"He threw strikes, but we got a little overaggressive and got away from our game plan," he said.

Manager Phil Garner's game plan, on the other hand, went great.

"I thought that was as good as you could pitch today," Garner said. "He did an enormous job. He really threw his fastball well all day. He threw a curveball, slider and some timely changeups for strikes."

Buchholz threw those same pitches well in his previous two starts, when he allowed a combined 16 runs on 19 hits for two losses. The difference in this start, though, was mainly Buchholz's command.

"The couple games before this, I was getting ahead of guys and then throwing fat pitches over the plate," he said.

Although Buchholz threw too many fat pitches in those previous losses, he felt the same mechanically on Sunday as he did last week.

"Nothing changed," he said. "I was just able to stay focused the whole game. I was trying not to get too overwhelmed. I just wanted to keep doing what I was doing the whole game."

Buchholz kept his pitches around the plate the whole game and made just a few mistakes. All five of his hits allowed were singles, and he never faced more than four batters in an inning.

Complete coverage >His defense helped out, too, particularly in the seventh. That inning, Buchholz allowed a leadoff single to Kevin Mench and then a towering fly to Brad Wilkerson, which nearly cleared the wall in right.

Fortunately for Buchholz, it didn't, instead being caught for the first out. He then shifted his focus to Rod Barajas, the next batter, and escaped the jam with a 5-4-3 double play.

He didn't shy away from the Rangers, either, and that was the key to his success.

"He kept throwing the ball over the plate," Garner said. "It's my feeling that if you do that, sometimes hitters are going to bump you a little bit."

The same goes for left-hander Wandy Rodriguez and right-hander Fernando Nieve, who struggled in their last outings.

"There will be some bumps," Garner said. "As we said, they don't have a lot of leeway [now], but certainly they'll be roughed up once in a while. The key is not to shy away."

Entering the bottom of the eighth, Garner shied from Buchholz pitching the ninth and started warming closer Brad Lidge. Lane's two-run homer, which stretched the Astros' lead to five, apparently changed his mind.

And now, Garner can erase this past week from his mind and move forward. But he'll need to rack up a few more wins before he uncorks some champagne of his own.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060521&content_id=1464902&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Buccaneer
05-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Overall, Astros are 18-15 against the Rangers.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-21-2006, 09:44 PM
Astros pitcher look unhittable in this game, was stun how good he look compare to his last game he pitched. Rangers will get them in arlington:)

Keith7
05-21-2006, 10:54 PM
Astros take the lead in the series 2-1.. Wait til Ameriquest field asstros!!

bccards
07-02-2006, 10:05 PM
:D:doh: :doh:

BigTex
07-02-2006, 11:48 PM
Gee.....based on all of the gloating that Keith7 has exhibited in the past about the Rangers winning the Silver Boot, I thought that I as an Astro fan would really be excited to be the "Baseball Champions of Texas". It is nice to win (4 games to 2), but I think have found the fallacy of Keith's reasoning. He was ecstatic about being Texas Champions because they beat the 2005 National League Champion Astros. We as the 2006 Texas Champions can't brag too much because we have only beat the traditionally underachieving Rangers. Hey, how about declaring the Rangers the Champions of the Metroplex (if the Frisco Rough Riders don't complain!)? ;)