PDA

View Full Version : Corporal Punishment?? Yes or No??

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 02:30 PM
The no pass no attend thread got me wondering where most stand on this issue??

Personally, I had no problem with my kids getting a swat or two on the butt if they needed it!

Please don't call CPS on me....but I spanked my kids when they were younger too!!:eek:

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
I voted yes, but I want a phone call from the principal first letting me know what is going on.

My son got in trouble one time...the principal told me he had a choice between a day of ISS and swats. I asked to talk to my son and see what he wanted...he told me ISS. When the principal got back on the phone..I told him to give him swats!!!:devil: :devil:

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 02:33 PM
thats good.

i think that more kids need to be spanked.

Phil C
05-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
thats good.

i think that more kids need to be spanked.

Some psychiatrists have warned that it could ruin their creativity. :eek:

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 02:51 PM
we have enough creative people....we need more good citizens.

be creative later....on you parent's time.

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Some psychiatrists have warned that it could ruin their creativity. :eek:

I think I am fairly creative....I got my butt busted plenty and I don't think it affected me adversly in the least!

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I think I am fairly creative....I got my butt busted plenty and I don't think it affected me adversly in the least!

i am sure that you are plenty creative.

PurpleFreddy
05-17-2006, 02:58 PM
I personally don't believe that principals should have to call the parent every time little Johnny gets a lick or two for doing something that is a minor offense. But, something major, yes. Principals have WAY too much administrative stuff to worry about already.
As a teacher, I see the problem with ISS, Friday School, or Dentention is that the consequences are not immediate enough. By the time the kid goes to ISS, sometimes, he/she has forgot what it was for.

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
I personally don't believe that principals should have to call the parent every time little Johnny gets a lick or two for doing something that is a minor offense. But, something major, yes. Principals have WAY too much administrative stuff to worry about already.
As a teacher, I see the problem with ISS, Friday School, or Dentention is that the consequences are not immediate enough. By the time the kid goes to ISS, sometimes, he/she has forgot what it was for.

Do they even give licks anymore for minor offenses?? Or what do you consider minor?

My son got busted with Copenhagen in school....that was immediate ISS or licks!!

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 03:05 PM
Do they even give licks anymore for minor offenses?? Or what do you consider minor?

My son got busted with Copenhagen in school....that was immediate ISS or licks!!

legally principals dont have to call.

can use teh board if they have permission to or not....from the parent.

--------------------------------------------------------

did he get a ticket for it too?

is/was he 18?

neck_94
05-17-2006, 03:09 PM
yup

problem is, lazy butt kids now-a-days dont mind sitting on their rump for an hour after school, or a half a day saturday, or that dreaded in school suspension... there is basically no recourse for their actions bacause they know there is nothing you can do to them that will (for lack of a better term) hurt them. or effectively punish them

and that attitude that always comes out, "my momma dont even hit me" well that is why they act like that... cause momma (or daddy) didn't hit em...

neck_94
05-17-2006, 03:12 PM
now the snuff thing... boys will be boys, and I dont think licks can make him quit, maybe what our school does, 250.00 first time, 500.00 each subsequent time... OUCH !!!

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by neck_94
yup

problem is, lazy butt kids now-a-days dont mind sitting on their rump for an hour after school, or a half a day saturday, or that dreaded in school suspension... there is basically no recourse for their actions bacause they know there is nothing you can do to them that will (for lack of a better term) hurt them. or effectively punish them

and that attitude that always comes out, "my momma dont even hit me" well that is why they act like that... cause momma (or daddy) didn't hit em...

i think that as long as it isnt the same punishment over and over...it can be effective.

also, kids need to be taught how to correct the problem....not jsut whack em.....although just whackin em with the board can be effective.

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

can use teh board if they have permission to or not....from the parent.

--------------------------------------------------------

did he get a ticket for it too?

is/was he 18?

Ours call the parents and give them the heads-up, before ANY punishment is given.

No, he didn't get a ticket, just a stern warning from the D.A.R.E officer and the swats on the butt.

olddawggreen
05-17-2006, 03:52 PM
When I was in highschool, me and some of my other more intellegent classmates, decided to hold a contest to see who could get the most licks within a 6 week period. I won with 65 licks, my grades really sucked that 6 weeks, but just look how I turned out:D

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/5558/bugeye4tm.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Phil C
05-17-2006, 03:53 PM
You all don't understand! I didn't say it. It was qualified psychologists that said that spanking would ruin their creativity.

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
You all don't understand! I didn't say it. It was qualified psychologists that said that spanking would ruin their creativity.

I don't know about the pshchologist...but I don't think doctors know everything! I was told not to introduce solid foods to my kids until at least 4 months of age.....they were HUNGRY!!!! If I would have listened to him, I would have had to have a kid attached to my breast 24-7!! I put all 3 of them on cereal at 2 weeks old.....they immediately began sleeping through the night!

When I told the Doctor at the 6 weeks check up (with the first child) I was told I had started what would probably be a long life of obesity for my child.

If anyone has seen ANY of my children, who are now 16, 18 and 20...none of them come close to being called fat!

Doctors don't know EVERYTHING!!!!

wedo
05-17-2006, 04:13 PM
The no pass no attend thread got me wondering where most stand on this issue??

Personally, I had no problem with my kids getting a swat or two on the butt if they needed it!

Please don't call CPS on me....but I spanked my kids when they were younger too!!:eek:

Man when i was a kid i didn't get spanked !!! I got "whooped"
And IMO i think it did a lot of good, i was never in trouble in school or by the law. Except a Little MIP, which wasn't even drinking. B/C i knew what would happen to me when i got home!!!

TheDOCTORdre
05-17-2006, 04:18 PM
if a kid does something against the rules and the only way to get through to him is to have his @$$ busted then go for it

CHS_Grad '85
05-17-2006, 04:38 PM
All I know is that I got swats for talking in class and chewing gum... my parents were never contacted and that was a blessing because my Mom would have given me more when I got home...

Besides, it was entertaining when teachers gave out swats... :D

LH Panther Mom
05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
We used to have corporal punishment, at least in junior high, as an option to ISS as long as the parent signed. Yes, I did sign it....and yes, he did get licks.

And no, it wasn't # 55! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

CHS_Grad '85
05-17-2006, 04:47 PM
Yes - Caldwell gives this options to the parents also... I signed for them to get swats and so far so good... but I still have one more in school so I'm not out of the woods yet...

crabman
05-17-2006, 09:56 PM

Not exactly true. By law they do not have to call or notify anyone IF THAT IS THE SCHOOL DISTRICTS WRITTEN POLICY. Corporal punishment is perfectly fine with the state but you have to have a written board policy. If the policy says to call, you had better call. If it says notification is not necessary you don't have to. There are a ton of court cases on corporal punishment in schools. There is not a judge in Texas that would allow a lawsuit by a parent for their kid getting paddled. It is a guaranteed loser.

GreenMonster
05-18-2006, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by wedo
B/C i knew what would happen to me when i got home!!!

Wedo, that says it all brother. Whatever we got at school it was double or triple at home for having "embarrassed" Mom and Dad like that in public. Whatever happened to just beating the hell out of your kid when they needed it? I'm not talking abuse here, no no no no no I'm talking TOUGH LOVE. It worked for all of us. I bet every parent on this message board can remember a good whoopin they got as a child and none of us are any worse for wear.

RiverRat19
05-18-2006, 08:41 AM
I don't advocate violence toward children but reasoning with younger ones when they are screwing up does not work. If they get their butt busted first for doing something wrong, then an explanation a little while after the sting goes away that can be effective. My wife and I have done that with our 6 year old since she's been about 2 or 3 and she's very well behaved.

The problem is that most kids don't get this kind of discipline when they are elementary school age. By the time they get to JH/HS they are already pretty good or very rotten. At that point the schools are in a bind and if they use some corporal punishment it will have the most effect with the ones who are "on the fence" and your occasional offenders.

The chronic troublemakers need to be dealt with swiftly and severly - fine the parents, send them to the alternative campus or expell them. Put it back on the parents in these cases and if they can't "fix" them, don't let them ruin the decent kids you have in the school.

District303aPastPlayer
05-18-2006, 12:53 PM
i believe you should be given the right to slap the livin ish outta someone elses kid every now and then so yeah i voted yes

zeus63
05-18-2006, 02:06 PM
We need to go back to the days of every teacher having a paddle in their room. It would sovle a lot of problems. IMO. (Speaking as a teacher, anyways)

Haunta Yo
05-18-2006, 03:10 PM
You can definitely tell kids whose parents aren't afraid to be parents vs. parents who want to be their child's best friend.

A child doesn't need more friends...He needs parents that aren't afraid of saying "NO".

"Don't do it again" is what should be said after the punishment not instead of the punishment.

More schools need to swing it...
Especially for disrespect/talking back to teachers. Don't send them to the office, just take care of it in the hallway and then get him back to class. Discipline problems get fixed real quickly.

Main problem for me is that the girls in our school cause more problems than the boys because they know they won't get licks.

Chris Hart
05-18-2006, 05:20 PM
When they took the paddles and prayer out of the classrooms, that is when they had to start building more prisons after more prisons....But, all the brainiacs knew best didn't they?:rolleyes:

Old Tiger
05-18-2006, 05:23 PM
I would rather take swats over lunch restriction or after school detention