PDA

View Full Version : Land Mine Found in McKinney Neighborhood

Adidas410s
05-17-2006, 01:26 PM
Got a land mine in your yard? Sounds like a job for the Dyess crew

By Blanca Cantu / cantub@reporternews.com
May 17, 2006

Two airmen from Dyess Air Force Base were called to a Dallas suburb Monday evening to destroy a World War II-era land mine found in a resident's back yard.

Civil Engineer Squadron commander Col. Barry Mines (kind of a fitting name!) said the device was not considered fully live, meaning it had a fuse but no explosive material inside.

Senior Airman Daniel Nicholas said a man noticed the device while mowing his lawn.

The man called McKinney police, who called the Plano bomb squad, the Associated Press reported. The bomb squad called Dyess' command post, and the post notified the base's Explosive Ordnance Disposal team.

The Dyess team was called to detonate the device because the Army Explosive Ordnance Disposal Team, stationed at Fort Hood, is deployed. The Dyess EOD team is serving a large portion of the area that Fort Hood's EOD team normally would cover, said Mines.

The EOD team from Dyess has an area of responsibility that extends in an approximately 500-mile radius. McKinney is about 30 miles north of Dallas and 205 miles from Abilene.

According to the Associated Press, Feliciano and Lucy Guzman, the residents of the home where the device was found, were unaware that the device was a land mine, said their son, Jesse Guzman. He said a family friend found the device on a trip to Arizona and brought it back as a souvenir, giving it to the Guzmans as a gift.

''I never thought it was a land mine,'' Jesse Guzman told the AP. ''It looks like a mousetrap.''

Guzman said the family had owned the device at least 10 years, moving it with them from house to house. At the latest McKinney residence, they kept it on a bench near their backyard shed, he said.

Guzman said the visit from authorities Monday surprised the family, and they were shocked even further when they found out their ''ornament'' was a land mine.

''It's kind of scary, knowing that's what it was,'' he said.

McKinney police Capt. Randy Roland said it was unclear whether the situation would warrant charges.

Jesse Guzman, 43, said his mother was away and not yet aware of what happened. ''She's gone to New Mexico - ain't no telling what she'll bring back,'' he said.

Associate Press staff writer Sheila Flynn contributed to this report

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

McKinney police Capt. Randy Roland said it was unclear whether the situation would warrant charges.

OH GOOD GRIEF!!! That would be RIDICULOUS!!

Adidas410s
05-17-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
OH GOOD GRIEF!!! That would be RIDICULOUS!!

yeah just slightly

olddawggreen
05-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Whatsa big deal, I find land mines in my yard every time I mow, and believe me, their fully loaded:eek: :eek:

This looks like the same model I found last weekend:D

http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?image=poop9ma.jpg