PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer vs. Bishop Gorman HS (Las Vegas)

Buckeye80
05-17-2006, 12:29 PM
Apparently this game is officially part of the 2006 East Texas Kickoff Classic at Rose Stadium now. It was in the Gilmer Mirror this morning, which is just as reliable as Fox News.:D

Sorry if this has already been discussed. I've been out for a while.

Aesculus gilmus
05-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Here's TITUS Sports Marketing's press release. Joe Dodd's article about it will be online in a few days.

Two of the state’s premier quarterbacks will be on display in the third annual East Texas Football Classic presented by Trinity Mother Frances, Aug. 31 and Sept. 1-2 at Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium in Tyler.
The 4-game East Texas Football Classic presented by Trinity Mother Frances opens in big fashion as Gilmer High School takes on Bishop Gorman High School, from Las Vegas. In the first-ever varsity football game for Gilmer against an out-of-state school, kickoff on the opening night for Texas high school football will be 8 p.m. on Aug. 31.
Gilmer returns to Tyler for the third time in 13 games, and is looking for its third victory to open the East Texas Football Classic in as many years. The Buckeyes have lost just one regular season game since the 2002 season and have not lost a district game since 2000.
Gilmer will be led by one of the top passing tandems across the Lone Star State: quarterback G.J. Kinne Jr. and wideout Curtis Brown. Kinne Jr. transferred to Gilmer earlier this spring from Canton, where his father, Gary Joe Kinne (now an assistant coach at Baylor), was honored as the National High School Coach of the Year in 2005 while the younger Kinne was the 3A Offensive Player of the Year.
Brown, who has committed to Texas, is regarded as one of the state's top skill players (WR/DB).
One of the top schools in Nevada, Bishop Gorman readies for its third out-of-state trip in as many years. The Gaels return eight starters from 2005, including massive lineman Po’u Palelei (6-4, 335; national recruit) and top running back Corey White (5-9, 200). Bishop Gorman is 16-0 in Southwest Conference play under head coach David White.
"Coming to Texas and being a part of such a big game is something our program appreciates," said White. "Gilmer is a great team and we look to gain some experience against a team with talent and speed. We're going to be young but we have a few senior leaders and a lot of young players who need to fill some holes."
In the second game, Tyler Lee High School will host Lake Highlands High School, which is located just northeast of Dallas, at 8 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 1. Tyler Lee is 2-0 in the East Texas Football Classic.
One of the most talented programs in the Dallas area, Lake Highlands is expecting to improve on its 8-4 season from 2005 (including wins in five of its last six games). The Wildcats return 10 starters; two of the six on offense include quarterback Daniel Miller (2,487 yards and 23 TDs) and running back D.J. Monroe, who was a standout sophomore in ’05. Linebacker Patrick Hesseler has posted an impressive spring.
Tyler Lee’s hard-fought 34-28 victory over Hollywood (Fla.) Chaminade Madonna in the East Texas Football Classic was voted one of the state’s top five games of ‘05. Defensive backs Tekerrian Cuba and Tim Hayter, wideout Jacob Amie and tight end Tyler Fleet are among 11 returning starters for the Red Raiders, who had their run of eight straight playoff berths under coach Mike Owens ended last season.
The doubleheader on Sept. 2 begins with an exciting 4A battle: Forney High School playing nearby Whitehouse High School (10 a.m. kickoff). The Jackrabbits are eager to get started in 2006 after winning three of their last six games and gaining experience playing the best – including eventual 4A, Div. I state champion Highland Park to end the season. Forney has 13 starters back and returns speedy running back Andre Derosier, who was also a standout in the secondary last season alongside Larry Williams (100 tackles between the tandem).
The 2006 season is expected to be a memorable campaign for the Whitehouse Wildcats, who ended last season on the opposite sideline as eventual 4A, Div. I state finalist Marshall. The return of 14 starters should boost expectations, with running back Luke Shivers (1,500 yards and 15 TDs) and speedy backfield mate Jimmy Kennedy leading the offense.
John Tyler High School and Texas High School from Texarkana headline the Classic finale at 8 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 2. Rivals John Tyler and Texas High have split their two previous meetings in the East Texas Football Classic.
It should surprise few that the Tigers will be picked by many media outlets to reign atop Class 4A in 2006. The main reason – in addition to the past success of the Tigers – may be the return of quarterback Ryan Mallett (6-7, 240; 2,219 yards and 21 TDs), who many regard as one of the nation's top quarterbacks. Mallett committed to Michigan earlier this spring.
Cornerback Jimmy Strong will lead a Tiger defense which returns four of the team’s eight starters.
In one of the great turnarounds at the Class 5A level last season, John Tyler posted an 8-3 mark after a 3-year period of just six wins in 30 games from 2002-04 (0-18 in district play). The Lions, who opened the ’05 campaign with a last-second victory over Texas High in the East Texas Football Classic, return elusive running back Kendall Hunter (5-9, 185) and massive lineman Marquis Franklin (6-6, 320).
During the Classic finale between John Tyler and Texas High, the Tyler Independent School District will dedicate Trinity Mother Frances Rose Stadium's playing field to Earl Campbell, arguably the most memorable player in Texas high school football history. The "Tyler Rose," Campbell graduated from John Tyler High and led the Lions to the 1973 state title.
A statue honoring Campbell will be unveiled during the game on Sept. 2.
The 4-game, 3-day East Texas Football Classic presented by Trinity Mother Frances was created and is managed by Dallas-based TITUS Sports Marketing for the Tyler Independent School District.
Reserved tickets to the East Texas Football Classic are available at each of the participating schoools, or may be purchased at the gate on game day for $10.
“Everything about our participation in the East Texas Football Classic last year was first class," said Chaminade Madonna coach Mark Guandolo. "It was a learning experience for our players and coaches to see how East Texas plays its football. The stadium was beautiful, and the fans were certainly passionate and knowledgeable about their football.”
Chaminade Madonna was one of the nation’s “Top 25 Prep Programs To Watch” in Street & Smith’s 2005 College Football Yearbook, and the Lions finished the season as Florida state champions.

http://www.gilmermirror.com/index.php?CATID=2

Buckeye80
05-21-2006, 01:08 AM
The first time in history that a 3A team from Texas plays an "out of state" opponent and it ends up on page 7 after 4 days. No one has a comment about this? No "Gilmer's goin' down and it serves 'em right!" or "Finally everyone will see what Texas' "middle class" of football looks like!" Nothing from anybody?

I just don't feel the love anymore like I used to.:(

LH Panther Mom
05-21-2006, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Buckeye80
The first time in history that a 3A team from Texas plays an "out of state" opponent and it ends up on page 7 after 4 days. No one has a comment about this? No "Gilmer's goin' down and it serves 'em right!" or "Finally everyone will see what Texas' "middle class" of football looks like!" Nothing from anybody?

I just don't feel the love anymore like I used to.:(
:p Gainesville played the CA team last year. :D

Gilmer's goin' down and it serves 'em right. :D

lostaussie
05-21-2006, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:p Gainesville played the CA team last year. :D

i'm a little late, but i was gonna say the same thing.

3afan
05-21-2006, 06:55 AM
The first time in history that a 3A team from Texas plays an "out of state" opponent .....

FYI there have been many 3A teams play schools from the bordering states ... unless those don't count as "out of state"

2006 (partial list) :: Perryton, Vernon, Sanger, Whitesboro, Texarkana Pleasant Grove, Dalhart ....

Chris Hart
05-21-2006, 12:55 PM

I just don't feel the love anymore like I used to.:( If Gilmer were playing the best of the best of the largest class in Nevada, this would be front page material, but I don't see Gilmer having any trouble with these guys. Gilmer will play much harder 3A teams from Texas in the playoffs than this team from Nevada. You know nothing compares to TEXAS high school football! I expect Gilmer to mop up the field with em, like Gainesville did the California team last year. Good luck to the Buckeyes, represent Texas well!:)

gtownpoke
05-21-2006, 04:26 PM
apparently it is the best team in Nevada and they are pretty well known for recruiting. Their running back from last year signed with OU (DeMarco Murray). If you get on a Nevada high school sports forum you can tell they are pretty hated.
I've watched film on them but you dont know how good the competition is out there and they lost the running back and their quarterback and some other key positions.

Hupernikomen
05-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by gtownpoke
apparently it is the best team in Nevada and they are pretty well known for recruiting. Their running back from last year signed with OU (DeMarco Murray). If you get on a Nevada high school sports forum you can tell they are pretty hated.
I've watched film on them but you dont know how good the competition is out there and they lost the running back and their quarterback and some other key positions.

Unreal..I can't imagine a high school getting stud players from other towns.

gtownpoke
05-21-2006, 11:56 PM
what i meant by them recruiting was they actually go to like pop warner games and stuff like that and give out cards and information about their school to the parents and players who look good. they are a private school so they are able to do it i guess.