PDA

View Full Version : Why Jasper will be "just another team" in the '03 season....

theyoefnshow
12-09-2002, 06:40 PM
who do these guys have left? They lost it seems all the starters......Could be a long year....or would that be short? Just gazing in the crystal ball is all.....

JasperDog94
12-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Sounds like sour grapes to me....

jason
12-09-2002, 10:11 PM
the truth hurts

spiveyrat
12-09-2002, 10:54 PM
Interesting how we haven't heard from our "friends" from Cameron and Diboll since we've played them. How's it going guys? Where have you been? :rolleyes:

theyoefnshow
12-09-2002, 10:58 PM
actually I have posted from time to time....not much point in starting a Cameron topic though no? Anyway, if you missed it I made more than one "Congrats to Jasper" posts after they demolished us. But if you are interested, the boys BBall team is doing quite well. As for the post here, maybe I should have said "Why Jasper COULD be "just another team." I didn't say it was a sure thing, hell what is? I'm just saying that to lose that many Srs/starters, what is left? Simple question, should be a simple answer.

j_dog
12-09-2002, 11:08 PM
I think you may be right, Jasper will probably be just another team next year,......... just another team in the playoffs. I see no way they will have such a dominant team next year, but they will have assets. They are graduating 30 plus seniors, not 30 plus starters. They are not even graduating 22 starters. They will have some of this year's starters back, plus those players from an undefeated JV, plus the freshman running back that scored the last TD on Yoe. I am already looking forward to next Fall's kickoff!

And I did notice your Congrats messages to Jasper. Thanks. They were appreciated.

<small>[ December 09, 2002, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: j_dog ]</small>

lil booma
12-09-2002, 11:43 PM
you all just need to ask a person about jaspers jv they went undefeated last year

lil booma
12-09-2002, 11:45 PM
you all just need to ask a person about jaspers jv team they went undefeated this year. the reason why you didnt see some of the jv players is because they had 32 seniors and not enough red hats

lil booma
12-10-2002, 12:17 AM
oh and the sophmores in jasper high school have never lost a game in there high school career :)

exbccards76'smom
12-10-2002, 01:04 AM
We all will have rebuilding year next year. But there are plenty of players left to help rebuild. wink wink

sinfan75
12-10-2002, 06:02 AM
Well don't feel bad.Sinton loses all but about 7 starters.They'll drop back into the pack,but they should still make the play-offs.

Pudlugger
12-10-2002, 08:37 AM
Well when you lose a lot of seniors it falls back on coaching quality. La Grange lost 25 last year but we had a lot of good players come up from jv and frosh to fill the gap and we went 11-2. I'm betting Jasper will reach into that deep bag of talent out there and put together another very competetive team. Winning games makes winning players. Good luck next year. :)

Diller
12-10-2002, 09:54 AM
Jasper will be competitive but will not be no where near they were this year. They will be your, little-above-ave. 3A team. Dont look forward to them winning the district title. There J.V. may have went 10-0 but they played with juniors against a bunch of freshman from all the other district j.v. teams.

Cooter
12-10-2002, 10:05 AM
I am afraid I have to agree with the man from Possum Trot. Jasper did have a good J.V. but they were playing upper classmen against most teams freshman. I believe that Jasper will be good but by no means dominant.

turbostud
12-10-2002, 10:11 AM
Diller, where the heck is Possum Trot Texas. Is your mascot the Possums? Sounds like a fun place to live.

Cooter
12-10-2002, 10:36 AM
Turbo, sounds like South Padre Island is a better place to live. How is the little one doing?

turbostud
12-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Cooter, Its alot better during spring break. Only if my wife would let me go. The youngin is fine. I'm not getting much sleep though. Thanks for asking.

vet93
12-10-2002, 10:57 AM
Jasper could be just as good as last year, or worse, or even better...nobody really knows. Last year Greenwood had a senior laden team that had been to the playoffs the past few years and had done well. They were expected by the community and the area to do big things. They lost in bidistrict I believe to Crane. This year they had to replace almost all of the starters with a bunch of kids that hadn't even played on varsity...result...14-0. Sometimes kids who aren't expected to be as good turn out even better because...they may work harder because they have less talent, they may be trying to prove something, they may play better as a team, they may be mentally tougher, they may have grown a foot and gotten faster in the offseason etc...etc...We shouldn't be too quick to pigeon-hole a bunch of kids who haven't even gotten a chance to prove themselves on the football field yet. Just an observance from an old west texas boy who has no biases either way toward the Jasper team wink

Diller
12-10-2002, 11:05 AM
Diller, where the heck is Possum Trot Texas. Is your mascot the Possums? Sounds like a fun place to live.

Turbo,
PT is a small community between Sheblyville and Huxley! Off of boles field road, It is a very fun place to live and growed up. Cooter are you from Joaquin? just wonderin.

spiveyrat
12-10-2002, 01:12 PM
This may seem like a dumb question, but I honestly don't know the answer. Why did Jasper JV play so many freshman teams? Do the schools they play not have enough players/students to field freshman, jv, and varsity teams? And if that's the case, wouldn't you field a varsity and jv squad instead of a varsity and freshman squad? It seems to me this would be the case because you would have a pool of more athletes to choose from instead of only the freshman class.

Cooter
12-10-2002, 01:34 PM
Spiveyrat, In theory, all teams play a J.V. in the District. In Reality, Most teams play freshman on there J.V. for lack of numbers. That is the difference in having 900 students and having 400 students.

mistanice
12-10-2002, 03:45 PM
Speaking of numbers, there was someone that mentioned that there was around 8,000 population in jasper. From where im (Diboll) from we're lucky if we have 5,000. 3,000 is a big difference. 30 or so seniors at Jasper, we had maybe 10 seniors on our roster. 800 enrolled at jasper hs. we have around 400 at our high school. Big difference.

pinecone
12-10-2002, 05:00 PM
To mistanice:
Doubt we have 8000 anymore. You are lucky to have Temple Inland. We have lost a lot of our industrial base in the last few years. We would prefer to play 4A ball if we had the numbers, but we had to go play schools twice our size, and when your talking 800 compared to 1600, that's a big difference. We could beat schools bigger than we were, even 5A. But in the play-offs the teams we played were often huge in comparison. You will only get better playing stiff competition. Diboll will get better for having Jasper in their district. Jasper has to worry about staying good when they don't have the tough schedule like they
used to have. We hope every one in our district improves so our reprsentatives can bring those championships: bi-district, regional, semi-finals, state, etc. back to our district.

pinecone
12-10-2002, 05:07 PM
We lose one of the best QB's in high school football and a premier defensive lineman and a host of other great players, but we had about 20
underclassmen on the roster. We hope we have someone who can get the ball to #11, Gilder, because he is a great soph.

lil booma
12-10-2002, 06:32 PM
The jv quarter back Edrick Bronson can throw the ball just as good as Ricky can. Dont worry Jasper will have a good team because I played on Jv

theyoefnshow
12-10-2002, 06:57 PM
ok, so because YOU played on JV they'll be pretty good? Wow....that's a bold statement.

lil booma
12-10-2002, 09:56 PM
It aint a bold statement Kinfolk so mind yo business. and watch jasper win a state championship next year

lil booma
12-10-2002, 09:58 PM
It aint a bold statement Kinfolk so mind yo business. and watch jasper win a state championship next year

Bulldog92
12-10-2002, 10:00 PM
Hey, Booma...don't start that already. We just lost 3 days ago. You can't win the state championship with a big mouth, so please save it for the field. We're gonna need it. Take it easy...

The8thLace63
12-10-2002, 10:16 PM
lil booma: there is a slight difference between jv and varsity. I would have liked to have seen yall play newtons JV last year the year before and so on. Yall were lucky yall played a "rebuilding" jv team of newton if thats what you call it. A team which had prolly 5 sophmores and a buncha freshman who were scared to death. I cant wait until we play yall next year we are going to take the bulldogs behind the woodshed. And yall are coming to our house this year, we wont have to play in the dogpen.

The8thLace63
12-10-2002, 10:18 PM
No disrespect to any bulldog people or nothin I just had to get that out player to player.

c-town_balla
12-10-2002, 10:51 PM
For all that I know yoefnshow (little) I still can bet alot that you are not his "kinfolk"

:D

spiveyrat
12-11-2002, 07:57 AM
pinecone:
To mistanice:
You are lucky to have Temple Inland. I thought I heard TI was moving their corporate office to Austin.

Diller
12-11-2002, 10:00 AM
I've already said that Jasper will be competitive, but they need to wake up to reality! Their superb senior class is gone and regardless of what anyone says you cant come close to replacing those caliber of players and 39 seniors. They lost about 8 starters on both sides of the ball and nearly every backup. Thats what happens when you have nearly 40 seniors. They will always be fast but wont be near as big or strong. Just my take.

fred grunden
12-11-2002, 05:16 PM
lil booma, I hope you are one of the good ones we had on JV 'cause we are gonna need you and a few more to step up and play varsity. Diller, where did you get the 39 seniors? I have already posted corrections to that number and no one has stepped up with proof that we ever had 39. But losing 29 seniors is bad enough. I have seen the JV play several times this year. There is a big jump between JV and varsity but no more than usual. If the current JV'ers work hard in the off season and
grow a little, we will be all right. We can look forward to the kicking of #42, Marlon Cook. He was perfect in extra point kicking for the last 2 games. He can boom it on Kick-offs too.

sntnpirate1316
12-11-2002, 06:38 PM
sinton is the same way losing most of their starters
returning starters will be:
defense: defensive tackles danny coy and rudy hernandez
outside linerbacker pj salone
and inside linebacker clint threadgill(went out early in the season with a shoulder injury)
thats all on defense!
offense:
linemen ben lamb, fred rodriguez
receivers marshall kastner, matt trujillo
i believe thats all
but dont count us out well be in there and ready to go!

AnotherEagle
12-11-2002, 11:18 PM
I understand everything 8th lace is saying they are not gonna have a good team just because the JV is good dont mean squat While Jasper's rebuilding NEWTON and rest of the District will be strong and ready for the Season?

turbostud
12-12-2002, 08:48 AM
Lil Booma I hope you are around next year to back that statement up.

Compudyne
12-12-2002, 01:28 PM
They will be weaker but will still field a quality team. I do not look for them to win the district but should still be is the top 3. Congratulations on a Great Season.

JasperDog94
12-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Jasper technicly didn't win district this year. That didn't seem to slow them down too much. :D

j_dog
11-30-2003, 02:16 AM
j_dog:
I think you may be right, Jasper will probably be just another team next year,......... just another team in the playoffs. I see no way they will have such a dominant team next year, but they will have assets. They are graduating 30 plus seniors, not 30 plus starters. They are not even graduating 22 starters. They will have some of this year's starters back, plus those players from an undefeated JV, plus the freshman running back that scored the last TD on Yoe. I am already looking forward to next Fall's kickoff!

And I did notice your Congrats messages to Jasper. Thanks. They were appreciated.Just dusting off an old topic from last year where some people were so quick to write Jasper off for 2003. :) Probably nobody thought Jasper would make it back to the Semi's but here we are. :)

Go Jasper Dogs! We are proud of you!

j_dog
11-30-2003, 02:29 AM

<small>[ November 30, 2003, 01:31 AM: Message edited by: j_dog ]</small>

LH Panther Mom
11-30-2003, 07:12 AM
Congrats, Jasper, on your season. It's impossible to tell at the end of a season what will happen the next year. That's why the game is played.

LogieJoeBean001
11-30-2003, 08:27 AM
That's the thing about next year. Nobody really knows what "next year" will be like. I think every team will be losing dominant players, but who is to say that some younger players won't mature in the meantime and come up to fill the shoes of those leaving? Leave next year to next year because it won't be until then that we all see how it all unfolds.

theyoefnshow
11-30-2003, 09:07 AM
what a year a difference makes huh lol......I still stand my my statement in them not being as powerful as last year but I think that's a pretty standard issue. But...they are running into a helluva wall this week against Burnet. I made it to last years game at Kyle Field but prob won't be able to make this one. Good luck to both teams!!!

JasperDog94
11-30-2003, 11:40 AM
Man, I forgot all about this post. Thanks for reminding all us bulldogs just how far this team has come. :)

JasperDog94
11-30-2003, 11:46 AM
Man, I forgot all about this post. Thanks for reminding all us bulldogs just how far this team has come. :)

Whiskers
11-30-2003, 08:24 PM
The Dawgs really have come a long way since their first games against Nederland and PNG. I have really been impressed with the maturity of this young Jasper team. Way to go Dawgs.

j_town
12-01-2003, 11:12 AM
For the record, Jasper's JV didn't have that many juniors, mostly sophmores. No one thought Jasper would go anywhere this year, losing so many seniors/starters last year but look where we are at now. The Jasper Bulldogs have a good coaching staff that can rebuild a good team, because they believe in working to players to be the best athlete they can. With the Jasper mentality, we can be as good as we want to be.