PDA

View Full Version : No-pass, no attend?

kepdawg
05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
Failing fans may not have spot in stands

DeSoto spectators, like athletes, may be barred from events for grades

03:42 AM CDT on Tuesday, May 16, 2006

By HERB BOOTH / The Dallas Morning News

In Texas, it's a rite of passage for teenage students to attend high school football games.

In the DeSoto school district, however, students may soon have to pass class just for the right to attend the games.

To bolster academics, officials are discussing a proposal that would keep any student who fails any classes from attending extracurricular events – from band concerts to football games. The "no-pass, no-attend" proposal would transcend no-pass, no-play, the state rule prohibiting a student who fails a class from participating in extracurricular activities.

Although they were concerned some students might cause trouble if banned from school events, DeSoto school board members generally seemed to favor the proposal during a recent meeting.

"The majority of parents I come into contact with want and expect success from their child," board president Janice Pettis Ingram said. "It needs to be worked on some more, but ... let's give them some guidance."

Superintendent Alton Frailey said the suggestion is in the "thinking out loud" stage. He said he would gauge staff and community feedback before recommending the policy for 2006-07.

"The idea came up at a cabinet meeting," Mr. Frailey said. "We have good kids who only pass during their [athletic] season, then they slack off. We thought, 'What if we made them work to come to the games as well?' "
First of its kind?

Officials with the Texas Education Agency, the Texas Association of School Boards and the National Association of School Boards said they had never heard of such a proposal. The national and local experts, however, seemed divided over the idea's merits.

"It's a novelty," said Tom Hutton, staff attorney for the National Association of School Boards. "It would seem to me that this would be an administrative nightmare."

Mr. Frailey, however, said the district could easily handle the situation with electronic identification cards, which would carry academic information.

Preliminary discussion centers on enforcing the proposed policy in grades five through 12 or seven through 12.

The superintendent said that during recent community meetings, a majority of parents said they felt students had little or no academic ambition. Those parents said students generally don't exhibit strong personal discipline.
Students opposed

Most youngsters, however, did exhibit strong opposition to the proposal when asked about it.

"Just because a student doesn't make grades doesn't mean they can't cheer on their team," said DeSoto High ninth-grader Brittany Jackson. "That's crazy."

A sampling of DeSoto parents seemed split on the issue.

"My first concern is that if there's a single parent out there with two or three kids, is there some leeway for them?" said Pam Glover, a parent and president of DeSoto East Junior High School PTA. "They couldn't all attend the event. It's almost like encouraging parents to leave children at home. I think they'd have to work some things out before this becomes policy."

But parent Sandra Blair embraced the concept. She said if her daughter isn't passing she shouldn't be attending events.

"She has to pay the price," Ms. Blair said.

Mike Tiegs, president of the Amber Terrace Intermediate School PTA in DeSoto, supports the idea.

"There have to be consequences," said Mr. Tiegs, who also is a youth baseball coach and enforces no-pass, no-play on his team. "Kids need to get things done in the classroom first."

Shari Dooley Smith, president of the DeSoto Council of PTAs, said if the policy were fair and equitable, she would support it.

"I think you have to have some kind of intervention at a lower level and earlier. You shouldn't have students come to the end of the year and not know they are failing," said Ms. Smith, a former Duncanville teacher.

The "no pass, no attend" idea comes just months after school district officials in nearby Lancaster instituted mandatory homework assignments for students during winter break. Lancaster officials said the move was to help boost district academic scores.
Struggle to motivate

Mr. Hutton said school districts nationally are struggling with meeting educational challenges in the face of budget cuts. Public education has become "highly politicized and scrutinized," he said.

"Everyone is struggling with how to motivate kids," Mr. Hutton said. "Reasonable minds debate on which issues may be overreaching, but the amount of pressure on these institutions is tremendous."

Mr. Hutton questioned the legality of the DeSoto proposal, but Joy Baskin, director of legal services for the Texas Association of School Boards, doesn't see anything illegal about the policy as long as students who fail a class aren't identified publicly.

"It might be difficult to enforce, but if education is a reasonable basis upon which to allow participation – and viewing – then it sounds OK legally," she said.

She said federal and state case law supports school districts' contention that participation and attending extracurricular activities are privileges.

DeSoto High senior Devin Sims understands what the district is trying to do but says the policy would go too far.

"You can't deprive a kid of attending an event," he said.

E-mail hbooth@dallasnews.com.

Cameron Crazy
05-16-2006, 06:26 PM
Nice article..

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2006, 06:29 PM
:thinking: :thinking: I wonder what happened to parents stepping up and making sure either that the kids are passing, or having some type of consequence for not. Maybe that's too easy a concept. :confused: :doh:

Emerson1
05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Shouldn't it be up to the parents if their kids can go to games or not. Either way it would be impossible to keep kids out of football games.

GreenMonster
05-16-2006, 10:23 PM
This is a violation of these kids' civil rights. It will get get shot down very quickly. No judge in his right mind would allow this to be legal if ever challenged.

PhiI C
05-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Yeah that's about right coming from Mrs. Blair whose daughter is probably nicknamed Mrs. Albert Einstein.

injuredinmelee
05-17-2006, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:thinking: :thinking: I wonder what happened to parents stepping up and making sure either that the kids are passing, or having some type of consequence for not. Maybe that's too easy a concept. :confused: :doh:

a lot of parents send their kids toschool to be raised but wont allow the teachers and administrators to hold them responsible for their actions.

LH Panther Mom
05-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
a lot of parents send their kids toschool to be raised but wont allow the teachers and administrators to hold them responsible for their actions.
Oh, believe me, I know. And that's truly sad to me.

CenTexSports
05-17-2006, 08:44 AM
When were we given the civil right to attend football games? I would think that the scool could limit access to whomever it wanted.

neck_06
05-17-2006, 08:47 AM
good idea, tough to enforce though.............

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 08:55 AM
neck- i just thought of how to inforce it.

when report cards go home.....if the kid failed....there will be a sticker.....that says, "IDIOT" if you failed a class put it on your forehead.

that way the idiots can stay away from the games. :)

AggieJohn
05-17-2006, 09:09 AM
bold move

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 09:10 AM
i want to see how this works out.

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
good idea, tough to enforce though............. Not really, I think it's stupid.

Phil C
05-17-2006, 09:33 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad:

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:36 AM
IT'S STUPID!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 09:38 AM
why is it stupid?

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Why isn't it?

How do grades effect what you do on friday night?

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't see how it could be enforced! What would you do...show up to the game with your ticket, report card and ID??

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 09:44 AM
you said it was studpid....i dint say it was great.

---------------------------------------------------------

what i see it as:

1- schools have become parents to many kids.
- someone has to hold the kid accountable.

2- if parents don act like parents and take care of the kid then someone should.
- similar to grounding them.

3- school cant say johnny/suzie you cant goto the party
- school should be able to say who can and cant goto school functions.

i see it is a way of helping to motivate kids to do right.

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't see how it could be enforced! What would you do...show up to the game with your ticket, report card and ID?? lol

It would be different if the kid was in ISS or an Alternative Education Program, but honestly I agree. How could they stop people who are willing to give money to the school/athletic department money?

GreenMonster
05-17-2006, 09:45 AM
I don't think it would be LEGAL. Segregation was ruled unconstitutional years ago. Public venue that is publicly funded, schools have no right to say who can and can't come to the games.

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I don't see how it could be enforced! What would you do...show up to the game with your ticket, report card and ID??

me and some co-workers have been discussing it.

1- if you are at a rich school district wher you have ID cards that can be scanned.....you scan the ID card

2- if you are in a poor district- have a punch card like at subway.
- it can say which six weeks you have passed or failed.

how do you get the kids to show ID's????
- let the passing kids in free or at a student price.

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

Would they not get in at the "student" price anyway??

Phil C
05-17-2006, 09:53 AM
I got an idea that might be better. Let the ones that don't pass go to the games but make them pay ADULT prices.

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I don't think it would be LEGAL. Segregation was ruled unconstitutional years ago. Public venue that is publicly funded, schools have no right to say who can and can't come to the games.

sure they can...kids get banned from games.

GreenMonster
05-17-2006, 10:00 AM
IP has no student price. All tickets $5. Now, since it has been said to use scan cards or punch cards, how do you enforce this at a small, community based school where you have kids from all levels attending? Do you enforce on HS kids only or is it for all levels? If it's HS only how do you justify it as being helpful for the HS kids and not for everyone else? If you cover all levels, how do you keep track? This is a bad idea and it needs to be dismissed.

LH Panther Mom
05-17-2006, 10:05 AM
IP has no student price. All tickets $5. Now, since it has been said to use scan cards or punch cards, how do you enforce this at a small, community based school where you have kids from all levels attending? Do you enforce on HS kids only or is it for all levels? If it's HS only how do you justify it as being helpful for the HS kids and not for everyone else? If you cover all levels, how do you keep track? This is a bad idea and it needs to be dismissed.
I don't think it's a statewide proposal, just for the one school. ;)

piratebg
05-17-2006, 10:05 AM
I'd raise hell. The only students that are banned from attending sports events are those that have been suspended, at least that is the way it is here.

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 10:07 AM
i think that once DESOTO works out the kinks ....if they do.

then it should be looked at my more communities.

or

maybe it is stupid.....i dont know.

it seems to me that a community is trying to do something to encourage kids to do right....but many people apparently think it is stupid.

LH Panther Mom
05-17-2006, 10:09 AM
it seems to me that a community is trying to do something to encourage kids to do right....but many people apparently think it is stupid.
IMO, encouraging kids isn't a bad thing. :)

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I'd raise hell. The only students that are banned from attending sports events are those that have been suspended, at least that is the way it is here.

as a parent or as a kid woulr ou raise ----?

i am sure that school boards all over the state have ideas that parents dont like....but rules are rules.

GreenMonster
05-17-2006, 11:24 AM
I don't have a problem with encouraging kids to do right, I just happen to think this isn't a very positive way to go about it. IMO, schools are taking more and more ideas from the prison system in the way they handle their "motivation." Whether it be segregation or uniform dress. I just simply don't like it. These are kids not criminals. I know that a lot of this has come about because of CPS and other organizations out there that have attempted to take the "board" out of the teachers hand. I say give the teacher a 2X4 and a hard ass to swing it and many of the discipline problems will disappear. I know this isn't realistic in today's me first society though. I don't have a good answer for this problem but I feel that this isn't anything I would like to see. All this will do is push those kids out where there is no supervision and will lead to more trouble. Take away something else. Have a seperate lunch where the failing kids get tutored while lunching together. It is very embarrassing for the kids and they will be receiving help at the same time. Take away any free time that they may have during the school day to go to tutorials. Educate them while punishing them.

piratebg
05-17-2006, 11:27 AM
I despise our school board, both as a student(former) and a parent.

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 12:56 PM

run against em

neck_94
05-17-2006, 01:40 PM
This is a violation of these kids' civil rights. It will get get shot down very quickly. No judge in his right mind would allow this to be legal if ever challenged.

ahhh, there it is...the problem in today's society...

Buccaneer
05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
Would you mind sharing some of your reasons why?

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by neck_94
ahhh, there it is...the problem in today's society...

courts or lawyers ???

explain...i think that i agree with you on.

neck_94
05-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Who says it is a kids "right" to attend a extra-curricular function ? I think kids have way too many "rights".

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 03:02 PM
kids and moms think that their kid is entitled to things.

i have no idea where they got it from.

people dont know how to work for things and earn rights.

pirate4state
05-17-2006, 03:06 PM

i have no idea where they got it from.

people dont know how to work for things and earn rights. guess none of these kids have dads just moms?

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 03:10 PM
my dad never tried to bail me or any of my siblings out of trouble.

mom would go to bat for us and raise H--L if she thought her kids were mistreated.....even if we bent the truth to make it seem like we were not wrong:)

sorry DAD's i forgot to include you.

neck_94
05-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
guess none of these kids have dads just moms?

dads dont shoot off at the mouth like kids and moms... :D

so they are not heard from or mentioned as much

pirate4state
05-17-2006, 03:15 PM
dads dont shoot off at the mouth like kids and moms... :D

so they are not heard from or mentioned as much :eek: Ya'll must have some tame dads!! :eek:

neck_94
05-17-2006, 03:15 PM
oh yeah, dads are also usually smart enough to keep their mouth shut ...;)

neck_94
05-17-2006, 03:16 PM
okay unless we are talking baseball...:D

raider red 2000
05-17-2006, 03:16 PM
my dad just knew that mom would goto bat.

dad also was a teacher and knew that kids were bad and fibbers :)

pirate4state
05-17-2006, 03:19 PM
oh yeah, dads are also usually smart enough to keep their mouth shut ...;) or too dumb to know what to say! :p :D

PurpleFreddy
05-17-2006, 03:46 PM
These are kids not criminals.

As a teacher, I bet to differ. A lot of them try real hard to act, look and think like criminals. That sometimes is their only role model.

DaHop72
05-17-2006, 04:09 PM
oh yeah, dads are also usually smart enough to keep their mouth shut ...;) Not some of the Little League dads I know.:mad: :mad:

Emerson1
05-17-2006, 04:36 PM
me and some co-workers have been discussing it.

1- if you are at a rich school district wher you have ID cards that can be scanned.....you scan the ID card

2- if you are in a poor district- have a punch card like at subway.
- it can say which six weeks you have passed or failed.

how do you get the kids to show ID's????
How would they know if a kid is from the school district. If I failed a class and I knew I wouldn't be allowed to go to a game, I would just go in on the visitors side wearing a hat and sunglasses. You can't force everyone that looks under 18 to show an ID to make sure they shouldn't be at the game.

LH Panther Mom
05-17-2006, 04:46 PM

:eek: OMG! I can't believe you just said that. :p My husband deals with very few "issues". My children earn what rights/privileges they have. And they know when they're not doing as expected (regardless of what it is, but especially grades), those privileges are taken away.

GreenMonster
05-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by PurpleFreddy
As a teacher, I bet to differ. A lot of them try real hard to act, look and think like criminals. That sometimes is their only role model. Sorry PF, you'll have to excuse my lack of big school knowledge. All I know about is hometown USA where a village still raises a child.

GreenMonster
05-18-2006, 08:13 AM
ahhh, there it is...the problem in today's society... KMA. If it weren't for people like me and the ACLU out there protecting your Civil Rights they would have been taken away by now and you'd the living in the Soviet States of America because we would have lost the Cold War. MY views and my opinions aren't molded around my babies as much as they are molded around your babies and everyone elses babies. I know that by protecting your kids' Civil Rights that my own children will also be protected in the process. Say what you want about me, I'll still be out there fighting the good fight regardless.

raider red 2000
05-18-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:eek: OMG! I can't believe you just said that. :p My husband deals with very few "issues". My children earn what rights/privileges they have. And they know when they're not doing as expected (regardless of what it is, but especially grades), those privileges are taken away.

that came out wrong.

i was talking about the moms that go complain about this and that....when they know only half of the story.

sorry :)