PDA

View Full Version : Don't open unless you are a twisted individual

pirate4state
05-16-2006, 12:00 PM
Don't say you weren't warned! :eek: :eek: :evillaugh

Bears Eat Monkey in Front of Zoo Visitors Mon May 15, 10:52 PM ET

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20060515/capt.f64dde856a944fed9429fd7b8cda563e.netherlands_ bear_eats_monkey_ams801.jpg?x=180&y=269&sig=W_Rwvg3pQJfpkLQcRmxhXQ--

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - Bears killed and ate a monkey in a Dutch zoo in front of horrified visitors, witnesses and the zoo said Monday. In the incident Sunday at the Beekse Bergen Safari Park, several Sloth bears chased the Barbary macaque into an electric fence, where it was stunned.

It recovered and fled onto a wooden structure, where one bear pursued and mauled it to death.

The park confirmed the killing in a statement, saying: "In an area where Sloth bears, great apes and Barbary macaques have coexisted peacefully for a long time, the harmony was temporarily disturbed during opening hours on Sunday."

"Of course the habitats here in the safari park are arranged in such a way that one animal almost never kills another, but they are and remain wild animals," it said.

Witness Marco Berelds posted a detailed report on the incident, including photos, on a Dutch Web site. He said one Sloth bear tried unsuccessfully to shake the monkey loose after it took refuge on the structure, built of crossing horizontal and vertical poles.

Ignoring attempts by keepers to distract it, the bear climbed onto a horizontal pole, and, standing stretched on two legs, "used its sharp canines to pull the macaque, which was shrieking and resisting, from its perch."

The bear then brought the animal to a concrete den, where three bears ate it.

The zoo said it "usually wasn't possible" for keepers to intervene when an animal killed another.

The park plans now to move the Barbary macaques — which are large monkeys but often inaccurately called "Barbary Apes" — to another part of the park, it said.

Link to story (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060516/ap_on_fe_st/netherlands_bear_eats_monkey)

pirate44
05-16-2006, 12:01 PM
wow. straight out of national geographic.:eek:

piratebg
05-16-2006, 12:03 PM
I would have loved to have seen this when it happened.

injuredinmelee
05-17-2006, 06:45 AM
I got to see the old lions at the Abilene zoo copulate one time with my kids class at school. Talk about a conversation starter with a class of 5-6 yr olds.

GreenMonster
05-17-2006, 07:53 AM
I would have loved to have seen that as well. I was genuinely upset because the monkeys didn't have a poop fight the last time I went. I think the zoo is one of the least entertaining places in the world. All you see is some animal from half-way around the globe laying around sleeping all day just like the dog in your own backyard. Boo to the Zoo!

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I got to see the old lions at the Abilene zoo copulate one time with my kids class at school. Talk about a conversation starter with a class of 5-6 yr olds.

ROFL! What in the heck is going on at the Abilene zoo?? Last time I was there, we got to watch the elephants "copulate"...and that same trip we saw the alligator at the entrance chomp down on a big ole turtle. The zoo keepers were beating the alligator in the head...it was great!!

piratebg
05-17-2006, 08:45 AM
I haven't been to a zoo since I was like 5 years old. Of course, I have no memory of going to one at all, but there are pictures to back my parents claims.

I was planning to take my kids to the San Antonio Zoo back in April, but plans fell through, so I guess I'll have to stick to watching the cows "copulate" outside of town.

olddawggreen
05-17-2006, 08:54 AM
What I'm amazed about is the fact that when I clicked on this thread there were 137 twisted individuals on the downlow:eek: :eek:

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I would have loved to have seen this when it happened. ditto

DaHop72
05-17-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
ditto No thanks.:( :(

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:30 AM
No worse than the slaughter video we watched in Animal Science

well maybe a little

piratebg
05-17-2006, 09:34 AM
I don't see the fuss. It's a freakin zoo with wild animals in it. What do you expect to see, Madagascar? They just doin it like they do on the Discovery channel baby.

injuredinmelee
05-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Macarthur may remember the video we had to watch in 5th grade about euthanizing animals. Alot of people cried that day. Ok I am goign to show my age hee.. it wasnt really a video it was a film shown on a projector. Some of you pups may not remember those.

Ranger Mom
05-17-2006, 09:38 AM
I don't see the fuss. It's a freakin zoo with wild animals in it. What do you expect to see, Madagascar? They just doin it like they do on the Discovery channel baby.

I wouldn't want to witness it in "real life" though!

I always turn the channel, shut my eyes, or look away when an animal is killed on the Discovery Channel...I know it's life (or death, I guess)...but it still breaks my heart!:(

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Just the other day a lion ran down a gazelle and ate it but you do not hear that on the news

pirate44
05-17-2006, 09:44 AM
there are more twisted individuals on this board than i thought

pirate4state
05-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Just the other day a lion ran down a gazelle and ate it but you do not hear that on the news Was it at a zoo? These things happen "in the wild", but for it to happen at a zoo in front of kids/adults...that is just crazy!! :evillaugh

Old Tiger
05-17-2006, 09:45 AM
We're all a little crazy somehow, lmao

piratebg
05-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Was it at a zoo? These things happen "in the wild", but for it to happen at a zoo in front of kids/adults...that is just crazy!! :evillaugh

True, but monkeys still throw poop out in the wild. And they "make a love" in the trees out in the wild with the rest of the gang watching them go at it. Why is it crazy for them to have a little snack?:thinking:

pirate4state
05-17-2006, 10:20 AM
Why is it crazy for them to have a little snack?:thinking: It's not. You wanna know the truth? Here it is: What I thought was really funny when I saw this headline was the mental picture I got of little kids screaming in horror b/c a bear just ate a monkey!!! :devil: :evillaugh Did any little kids witness this? I don't know, but I still think it is funny. :eek: :D

LH Panther Mom
05-17-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
there are more twisted individuals on this board than i thought
:thinking: :thinking: Personally, I thought more of us were twisted. :devil: :devil:

turbostud
05-17-2006, 10:33 AM
There used to be a old Gorilla at the San Antonio Zoo named Mopey that would throw his poop at the visitors. My brother and I would purposely go to see him to try and dodge his poop.

piratebg
05-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
It's not. You wanna know the truth? Here it is: What I thought was really funny when I saw this headline was the mental picture I got of little kids screaming in horror b/c a bear just ate a monkey!!! :devil: :evillaugh Did any little kids witness this? I don't know, but I still think it is funny. :eek: :D

I had the same picture in my head. At the same time, I saw myself standing in the back eating popcorn cheering the bears on.

pirate4state
05-17-2006, 10:41 AM
I had the same picture in my head. At the same time, I saw myself standing in the back eating popcorn cheering the bears on.
:clap: :clap: :clap: