PDA

View Full Version : Northwestern Suspends Womens Soccer Team

TheDOCTORdre
05-16-2006, 12:38 AM
EVANSTON, Ill. (AP) - Northwestern University suspended its women's soccer team Monday while the school investigates alleged hazing involving players last year.

The school learned of the allegations Monday, athletics director Mark Murphy said in a statement.
"If the investigation shows that there has been a violation of Northwestern's policies, appropriate sanctions will be imposed and the Athletic Department may take additional action as well," Murphy said.

The statement did not provide details about the alleged incident, and a Northwestern spokesman Alan Cubbage said the school would not comment further.

A Web site on Monday displayed pictures allegedly of Northwestern soccer players in T-shirts and underwear, some wearing blindfolds and others with their hands tied behind their backs. Other women had words or pictures scrawled on their bodies and clothes, and it appeared some were drinking alcohol.

Northwestern's Division of Student Affairs will conduct the investigation, Murphy said.

"I have asked all Athletic Department staff, team coaches and members of the team to cooperate fully in the investigation by Student Affairs," he said.

A message left at the office of women's soccer coach Jenny Haigh on Monday night was not immediately returned.

The Wildcats' 2006 season is scheduled to begin in August. Northwestern finished with a 9-9-1 record last season.

Phil C
05-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Booooooooooooo! :mad:

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Booooooooooooo! :mad:
:confused: Boo, what? That soccer was suspended? Or that the coach is taking care of a potential problem? ;)

raider red 2000
05-16-2006, 10:37 AM
is there evidence of this?

where are the pictures :)

Phil C
05-16-2006, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:confused: Boo, what? That soccer was suspended? Or that the coach is taking care of a potential problem? ;)

That soccer was suspended! I hardly think it's fair to condemn a whole program because of some little slip up.

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2006, 11:34 AM
That soccer was suspended! I hardly think it's fair to condemn a whole program because of some little slip up.
Hazing is a bit more than a little slip up. :doh: :doh:

Bandera YaYa
05-16-2006, 11:37 AM
It really concerns me that some young people are that dang dumb to risk it all like that....they get what they deserve!! Lordy........ :rolleyes:

Phil C
05-16-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
It really concerns me that some young people are that dang dumb to risk it all like that....they get what they deserve!! Lordy........ :rolleyes:

But this is women's soccer! :(

LH Panther Mom
05-16-2006, 11:54 AM
But this is women's soccer! :(
So, females should be excused from idiotic behavior? :doh:

pirate4state
05-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
So, females should be excused from idiotic behavior? :doh: Uh oh....this is not gonna be pretty....

BUT...I agree, gender should not matter.

Bandera YaYa
05-16-2006, 12:04 PM
But this is women's soccer! :( Is it not a college team?????? ?????????

Phil C
05-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Girls or Ladies are not as rough. It is limited to maybe mud in the hair or something like that. That is what they used to do at Ray High School in Corpus Christi till someone got upset cause their hair got a little messed up. Remember we are talking about suspending a whole soccer season. Let's not go to the extreme now. Certainly a strong reprimand and a good chewing out by the coaches and dean would be in order.

District303aPastPlayer
05-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
is there evidence of this?

where are the pictures :)

my best guess... search myspace, lol

PhiI C
05-16-2006, 12:34 PM
You have to also remember that Northwestern is at Chicago. These are sophisticated young ladies that go to a very prestigious university.

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!

zeus63
05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Girls or Ladies are not as rough. It is limited to maybe mud in the hair or something like that. That is what they used to do at Ray High School in Corpus Christi till someone got upset cause their hair got a little messed up. Remember we are talking about suspending a whole soccer season. Let's not go to the extreme now. Certainly a strong reprimand and a good chewing out by the coaches and dean would be in order.

No offense, but it has probably been a long time since you have been to college. Women get into just a much, and just as bad, things as the men do, hazing included. Girls these days can be pretty ruthless when it comes ot these sorts of things.

PhiI C
05-16-2006, 12:38 PM
I would have felt the same way even if it had been A&M's soccer team. And when a UT fan says this you must take note. Remember women's soccer must advance especially at the college level. This is good for the sport and the country.

SHOW SOME KINDNESS!! :mad:

PhiI C
05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
No offense, but it has probably been a long time since you have been to college. Women get into just a much, and just as bad, things as the men do, hazing included. Girls these days can be pretty ruthless when it comes ot these sorts of things.

"There is nothing new under the sun." - King Soloman

zeus63
05-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C

Really? Times have changed and so have the kids.

Phil C
05-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Really? Times have changed and so have the kids.

Kids still eat food and breath air just like they did a hundred years ago and do now and will a hundred years from now. The sun still rises in the east and sets in the west.

TheDOCTORdre
05-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
my best guess... search myspace, lol
i've been searching everywhere I can and I still havent found any pics :(

zeus63
05-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Kids still eat food and breath air just like they did a hundred years ago and do now and will a hundred years from now. The sun still rises in the east and sets in the west.

Those are basic charateristics of the human race and the world. Beliefs and mind-sets do change. If you want to get historical about it 2000 years ago they believed the earth was the center of the universerse, we now know that it is not. 600 years ago some still believed that the world was flat, we know now that the world is a sphere. 50 years ago people beleived in only 3 states of matter solid, liquid, and gas. Now we know that there are 4 states, solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. So while basic things like eating, breathing, and the sun rising do not change, we know that other things on this earth will change just like they did 100 years ago and 100 years from now.

TheDOCTORdre
05-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Those are basic charateristics of the human race and the world. Beliefs and mind-sets do change. If you want to get historical about it 2000 years ago they believed the earth was the center of the universerse, we now know that it is not. 600 years ago some still believed that the world was flat, we know now that the world is a sphere. 50 years ago people beleived in only 3 states of matter solid, liquid, and gas. Now we know that there are 4 states, solid, liquid, gas, and plasma. So while basic things like eating, breathing, and the sun rising do not change, we know that other things on this earth will change just like they did 100 years ago and 100 years from now.
beliefs and mindsets do and will change but nonetheless, "there is nothing new under the sun" is a correct statement. I love the Book of Ecclesiastes,(sp).

District303aPastPlayer
05-18-2006, 01:14 AM
i found the pictures if anyone wants to see them...

Phil C
05-18-2006, 09:29 AM
SHOW SOME COMPASSION!! :mad: