PDA

View Full Version : Joey Porter has something to say to President Bush

TheDOCTORdre
05-16-2006, 12:22 AM
As he showed during Super Bowl week last February, Steelers linebacker Joey Porter isn't afraid to speak his mind. And apparently, that extends to the president of the United States.

According to a report in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Porter has a bone to pick with President George W. Bush when the Super Bowl champion Steelers visit the White House on June 2.

Joey Porter has never been one to remain quiet. (Andy Lyons / Getty Images)

"Yeah, I got something to say to Bush, I'm going to have a swagger when I walk in there, too," Porter said. "I'm looking forward to it. I have something to tell him, too. I don't like the way things are running right now. I feel like he has to give me some of my money back, so I got something to tell Bush."

You may recall, Porter's comments during the days leading up to Super Bowl XL were the most inflammatory of the week. Porter directed most of his ire toward Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens, blowing Stevens' "guarantee" of a Super Bowl win way out of proportion.

"I don't think he is worth enough to talk like that," Porter said. "Personally, I think he is soft. That's just me. This is his fourth year in the league and you have never heard anything about him until right now. He is just starting to play.

"He was a first-rounder. You aren't too good if you are a first-rounder and you barely play for four years, and that is just my opinion. If you are a first-rounder, you are supposed to come in and play immediately. You are barely getting on the field in your fourth year? And he got on because somebody got hurt so I don't respect his game or anything he talked about."

President Bush isn't the only chief that Porter has a few words for these days.

Porter also took issue with Pittsburgh head coach Bill Cowher, who has repeatedly said that he doesn't believe the Steelers were the best team in the NFL last season, even though they won the Super Bowl.

"Everybody looks at it different, but that's not how I look at it," Porter said. "I feel like we definitely was the best football team.

"(Cowher) probably has a different outlook than I do. That's just my point of view on how I feel. But he's the head coach, he looks at it a whole different way. He breaks down film different ways than I break it down."

Bull Butter
05-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Joey, there will be no less than 10 guys with suits & ties and guns nearby. They are called the Secret Service. They seem to take exception to guys who "swagger" into the White House.

Joey Porter vs. Secret Service........................My money's on the Service in this one:D

AggieJohn
05-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Bull Butter
Joey, there will be no less than 10 guys with suits & ties and guns nearby. They are called the Secret Service. They seem to take exception to guys who "swagger" into the White House.

Joey Porter vs. Secret Service........................My money's on the Service in this one:D as sure as you double down w/ an 11 in blackjack

injuredinmelee
05-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Guess what mr. porter? I know your famous and all that crap but I dont give a rats about your political views. Being able to conduct a public forum does not give you the right to express your political views. Athletes and actors are the same with this problem. Just shut up and entertain me thats all your good for.

zeus63
05-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
Guess what mr. porter? I know your famous and all that crap but I dont give a rats about your political views. Being able to conduct a public forum does not give you the right to express your political views. Athletes and actors are the same with this problem. Just shut up and entertain me thats all your good for.

AMEN!!

Bearkat
05-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Porter is one of the many Americans who elected Bush. Why can't he voice his opinions towards the leader of the free world? Heck, in a way, Porter gave Bush a job.

District303aPastPlayer
05-16-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Bearkat
Porter is one of the many Americans who elected Bush. Why can't he voice his opinions towards the leader of the free world? Heck, in a way, Porter gave Bush a job.

:clap: :clap:

PhiI C
05-16-2006, 12:42 PM
I am sure he will be politically correct which is always wise.

zeus63
05-16-2006, 12:43 PM

He might have voted for Bush, but he did not single-handedly give him the job. Remember there are several millions of other registered voters out there that voted for Bush to, and against him for that matter. But, you are right, let him speak his mind. Hopefully they will get in on tape and show the rest of the country what an idiot this guy is.

injuredinmelee
05-16-2006, 12:54 PM
what he needs to understand is that his opinion means as much to me as the one of the homeless guy that stands on my corner asking for food and the bank president that lives next door. I could care less. My point is that just because you are "famous" I dont need to hear your political views and you shouldnt think that because you can that you should.

Matthew328
05-16-2006, 12:59 PM
if he wants to tell bush how he feels...more power to him....doesnt affect me

chugbug
05-16-2006, 01:13 PM
good Luck those federal boys don't have a sense of humor:p :p :eek: :weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

Maroon87
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Hmmm...I smell an audit for Mr. Porter.;) Seriously though...he will keep running his mouth as long as there are cameras and microphones around. It's all about shock value, just like Ron Ron Artest. It tells you a lot about this guy that a couple of years ago he actually got thrown out of a game an hour before kickoff.:rolleyes:

Bullaholic
05-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Wow! I sure hope I have a pen and paper with me the next time Joey Porter has something to say.......

TheDOCTORdre
05-16-2006, 02:01 PM
dont y'all love the fact that hes gonna tell Bush to give him, "To give him some of his money back." I love it when people with more than enough money want some more

EricDraven
05-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Wow, another idiotic pro athlete. What are the chances?

Jason1725
05-16-2006, 05:37 PM
"what he needs to understand is that his opinion means as much to me as the one of the homeless guy that stands on my corner asking for food and the bank president that lives next door. I could care less. My point is that just because you are "famous" I dont need to hear your political views and you shouldnt think that because you can that you should."

Rather YOU like it or not he has a little paper on his side called the Bill Of Rights which says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." So I ask what makes you think we care what you have to say?

Pmoney
05-16-2006, 06:33 PM
i would say something but it might go into the political catagory which is banned but ill say this Joey Porter is being just as unAmerican as some of those protestors on May 1st

wedo
05-16-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Jason1725
"what he needs to understand is that his opinion means as much to me as the one of the homeless guy that stands on my corner asking for food and the bank president that lives next door. I could care less. My point is that just because you are "famous" I dont need to hear your political views and you shouldnt think that because you can that you should."

Rather YOU like it or not he has a little paper on his side called the Bill Of Rights which says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." So I ask what makes you think we care what you have to say?

i quarantee that joey porter does not care that you do not care what he has to say, b/c he will say it anyways!!! Thats the one thing i like about this guy, he does not care who you are he will speak his mind and will tell people what he thinks!!! Who cares whether it makes sense or not! the point is he not afraid to it!!

wedo
05-16-2006, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Pmoney
i would say something but it might go into the political catagory which is banned but ill say this Joey Porter is being just as unAmerican as some of those protestors on May 1st

How is that??? Please explain!!!!

Chris Hart
05-16-2006, 07:07 PM
If he don't like the president whether republican or democrat, I think he should go find him another country with a president he can support. He should know that 'Joey Porters' opinion of the president doesn't mean squat to America so he should keep his mouth shut, or go to France with the Dixie Chicks...:hand:

Jason1725
05-16-2006, 07:31 PM
If he don't like the president whether republican or democrat, I think he should go find him another country with a president he can support. He should know that 'Joey Porters' opinion of the president doesn't mean squat to America so he should keep his mouth shut, or go to France with the Dixie Chicks...

So you are saying that regardless of rather you like the President you should support him regardless just because he is the President? That's crazy! :rolleyes:

Jason1725
05-16-2006, 07:36 PM

So protesting is un-American? What about the founding fathers who protested British rule and seceded with the Declaration of Independence, was that un-American?

Jason1725
05-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Just in case anyone wants to know what he actually said instead of quotes taken out of context.

Mr. Porter Goes to Washington

Few players in the National Football League talk the talk like Joey Porter, the Steelers' star linebacker who's never at a loss for words.

On the field, he's one of the best at his position. In the locker room, he's one of the most opinionated, most quotable athletes in the country. And on June 2 when he and the rest of the Super Bowl champs visit the White House, Porter plans on being in rare form.

"Yeah, I have something to say to (President) Bush, too," Porter said with a twinkle in his eye Sunday between the morning and afternoon minicamp practices. "I'm going to have a swagger when I walk into there, too.

"I'm looking forward to it. But like I said, I have something to tell him, too. I don't like the way things are running right now. So I have something to tell Bush."

Other than suggesting a tax break, Porter didn't say exactly what he doesn't like about the way President George W. Bush is handling his job as President.

"The government's taking too much money out of my pocket," Porter said, laughing.

Regardless of any political differences he has with Bush, Porter said he's genuinely excited about the Steelers' visit to our national's capital for yet another celebration of their Super Bowl XL victory.

Although the Steelers have not yet been told of the exact itinerary for their White House visit, Porter hopes he'll get the chance to speak to President Bush face-to-face and perhaps get to know him. After all, Porter pointed out, Bush knows Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton well enough to call him by his nickname.

Hampton, an All-American defensive tackle when he played at the University of Texas, befriended Bush when he was governor of the Lone Star State.

"Casey used to work out with him all the time in Texas," Porter said. "(Bush) actually calls Casey 'Big Ham.' That trips me out. Like, he knows the President. How do you get to know the President? So it's crazy."

"Yeah, I used to talk to him a few times when I was working out at our facility in Texas," Hampton said. "But no, I haven't talked to him since. He's too busy. He's got too much going on (as President)."

Porter has never met President Bush, but was in the crowd when Bush visited Porter's hometown of Bakersfield, Cal., a few years ago. Porter, who didn't vote for Bush in the past two presidential elections, does hope to get to know Bush well enough that the President will call him by his nickname, too.

"I'll try to get on that level with him," Porter said. "Like 'Peezy, what's happening?'"

According to a release from the team's media relations department, the Steelers are expected to work out June 2 as part of the voluntary coaching sessions, a series of 14 practices that start Tuesday and end June 8.

But it all likelihood, coach Bill Cowher will cancel practice that day for the Steelers' White House visit.

Over the years, several U.S. presidents have hosted professional or college athletic teams in honor of their championship accomplishments.

"I'm not going to be in awe because I've seen him before," Porter said. "But at the same time, it's always an honor to be with the president. He's the one who runs everything. So it will be an honor to be in the same room with him."

KingRob
05-16-2006, 08:12 PM

Well Said!:thumbsup:

Chris Hart
05-16-2006, 09:08 PM

So you are saying that regardless of rather you like the President you should support him regardless just because he is the President? That's crazy! :rolleyes: Exactly! My opinion is somewhat different than yours and Mr. Porter's isn't it?:p

Jason1725
05-17-2006, 07:14 AM
If he don't like the president whether republican or democrat, I think he should go find him another country with a president he can support. He should know that 'Joey Porters' opinion of the president doesn't mean squat to America so he should keep his mouth shut, or go to France with the Dixie Chicks...

I agree with this because it's in the Declaration of Independence "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness." Which is exactly what happened, however another Republican President didn't believe in this and the sovereignty of each State in the Union. So he unconstitutionally invaded the Southern states to force them to stay in this voluntary "Union" America's first dictator Abraham Lincoln. At least President Bush hasn't been anywhere near as tyrannical as Lincoln who destroyed the Bill Of Rights and ignored the Constitution. I would think and hope a Southerner would know his own history.

wedo
05-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
If he don't like the president whether republican or democrat, I think he should go find him another country with a president he can support. He should know that 'Joey Porters' opinion of the president doesn't mean squat to America so he should keep his mouth shut, or go to France with the Dixie Chicks...:hand:

So your against people fighting or saying what they beleive in??? B/C thats what is sounds like!!!!! So if we selected a president and he curupted the house/senate and turned this country into a communists country, you would still support him b/c he his your president??

This is just an example don't get your panies in a bundle, b/c im not saying this is what bush is doing!!!!!!!!!

Chris Hart
05-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by wedo
So your against people fighting or saying what they beleive in??? B/C thats what is sounds like!!!!! So if we selected a president and he curupted the house/senate and turned this country into a communists country, you would still support him b/c he his your president??

This is just an example don't get your panies in a bundle, b/c im not saying this is what bush is doing!!!!!!!!! No, LOL! I was really just stirring the pot a bit. But, I do believe that we should all support the President after elected whether a member of our party or not. I didn't say we couldn't disagree with him, but you can do that and still support the position he holds. I did it with President Clinton all the time. I also believe this and it may not be popular or politically correct or even constitutional, but I don't think any citizen has the right to go to the White House and voice their disapproval to the President. They should do it through the proper channels. We always called it 'reverance', but in today's society reverance toward the President is almost no more. I just believe that if a person has that big of a problem with the President/Congress/Government, then they should run for some sort of political office and be heard that way. I don't agree with someone basically saying they are going to go into the Presidents home and try to 'straighten him out politically, period. Especially when they are being invited there to be congratulated by the man.

I hope that no one considers that a politcal post, just my humble opinion on an issue of respect for the Presidential position...

injuredinmelee
05-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by wedo
i quarantee that joey porter does not care that you do not care what he has to say, b/c he will say it anyways!!! Thats the one thing i like about this guy, he does not care who you are he will speak his mind and will tell people what he thinks!!! Who cares whether it makes sense or not! the point is he not afraid to it!!

both you guys are correct Porter doesnt care what I have to say and I am glad. I am not the one pushing my politcal agenda on the rest of america.

Jason1725
05-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Wedo said it better than me, you got me upset with the whole you shouldn't say anything against the President cause he's the President. Maybe thats not what you were saying but it came across that way. If you read the real article from the Tribune it mentions he was laughing meaning he wasn't serious. Besides who likes to pay taxes?

Pmoney
05-17-2006, 09:36 PM
So protesting is un-American? What about the founding fathers who protested British rule and seceded with the Declaration of Independence, was that un-American?
i understand what you mean i was putting that because of all the people that said the May 1st protesting is un-American....but no one really gets mad about what a pro athlete says just because he is a pro athlete, its the same way with actors and actresses...i was in no way saying protesting was un-American but i can see where you took that idea..sorry for the confusion

Jason1725
05-18-2006, 07:24 AM
It's okay, I am still amazed people are upset even after I posted the original article that shows he was laughing and then goes on to say he respects the job of the President. Instead of believing the first article that took his quotes out of context, nobody cares he was joking. Maybe if it were someone like Manning that said this would it be as big of a deal? I doubt it. I think people need to realize that the media hardly ever reports the truth anymore, they take stuff out of context in an attempt to make contraversy in order to sell their paper or magazine and that is a shame.