PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane(s) to hit Texas Gulf Coast???

Adidas410s
05-15-2006, 01:51 PM
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Three major hurricanes will strike the United States this year, with the storm-battered Gulf Coast most at risk in June and July, forecaster AccuWeather predicted Monday.

The outlook comes after a record-setting hurricane season in 2005 that devastated New Orleans and other coastal cities along the Gulf, and dealt a heavy blow to the U.S. oil industry that sent energy prices to record highs.

"The 2006 storm season will be a creeping threat," said AccuWeather Chief Forecaster Joe Bastardi. He projected that five hurricanes, three of them with winds over 110 miles per hour, would hit the U.S. coastline.

"Early in the season the Texas Gulf Coast faces the highest likelihood of a hurricane strike, possibly putting Gulf energy production in the line of fire," he said. "As early as July, and through much of the rest of the season, the highest level of risk shifts to the Carolinas."

At the tail-end of the season, the Northeast and southern Florida will be most at risk from storms, he said.

This year feature fewer named storms than last year's record of 28, but will still be a season of above-average storm frequency, AccuWeather said in the press release.

Last year, there were eight tropical storm landfalls in the U.S., including two separate strikes by Katrina as the storm crossed the Florida peninsula and then plowed into the central Gulf Coast in late August. Four of these were major hurricanes - with winds over 110 mph: Dennis, Katrina, Rita and Wilma.

Hurricane Katrina was the costliest storm on record, causing more than $80 billion in damage

piratebg
05-15-2006, 01:59 PM
We are due.....very due.......over due for the Big One. We have begun making our preparations at work since late April, which is more than I can say about home. The CC area has had too many near misses the past couple of years. Eventually our luck is going to run out.

pirate4state
05-15-2006, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
We are due.....very due.......over due for the Big One. We have begun making our preparations at work since late April, which is more than I can say about home. The CC area has had too many near misses the past couple of years. Eventually our luck is going to run out.

:weeping: :weeping: I hope our luck holds up another year.

pirate44
05-15-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
last years Hurricane Rita took the wind out of my sails. i was really anticipating for that Cuero/Sinton game. thanks Rita :foul:

CHS_CG
05-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
last years Hurricane Rita took the wind out of my sails. i was really anticipating for that Cuero/Sinton game. thanks Rita :foul:

you and me both!

pirate4state
05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
last years Hurricane Rita took the wind out of my sails. i was really anticipating for that Cuero/Sinton game. thanks Rita :foul: Glad I could help!!! :p :evillaugh

DaHop72
05-15-2006, 04:15 PM
Glad I could help!!! :p :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

pirate44
05-15-2006, 04:30 PM
Glad I could help!!! :p :evillaugh
:tongue:

Adidas410s
05-15-2006, 04:37 PM

THERE'S NO NEED FOR ANY OF THAT AROUND HERE...GAH!!!:flamingma :flamingma :flamingma

pirate4state
05-15-2006, 04:41 PM

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sleep/schla11.gif

That smiley really isn't for you FOFO...I just wanted to test it out! ;) :D :D :D :kiss:

Cameron Crazy
05-15-2006, 04:44 PM
Just saw that on www.msn.com kinda scary for all of you down there hope everyone is ok and God takes care of you!

pirate44
05-15-2006, 04:53 PM
http://www.websmileys.com/sm/sleep/schla11.gif

That smiley really isn't for you FOFO...I just wanted to test it out! ;) :D :D :D :kiss:
cool. but its been years since ive used a pacifier ;)

good one though.

44INAROW
05-15-2006, 04:53 PM
JUST A FRIENDLY FYI REMINDER

There is a 30 day waiting period on flood insurance!..

pirate44
05-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
JUST A FRIENDLY FYI REMINDER

There is a 30 day waiting period on flood insurance!..
ive got mine

PPHSfan
05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Look at the bright side. A natural disaster would be great for the state's economy. Look at New Orleans. There is more sales tax being collected there than ever before. Don't let anyone tell you it's not. There may be less stores but the place is loaded with a population that spends a ton of money. If you want to argue with me, come down here first and try to drive from Metairie to Mid City at seven oclock in the morning.

sahen
05-15-2006, 07:37 PM
so now the people that cant predict what is going to happen 2 or 3 days from now r trying to predict what the next half year is going to be like...we will see if they r right, the hurricane season is going to be more intense just because the sea is warming up, therefore the likely hood of a storm devolping is much higher....i dont relaly listen to the weather people unless if they rtelling me there is a storm out there/what is going to happen today (and they still get that wrong)....

Fish's mom
05-15-2006, 11:24 PM

Me too. but it's not looking good, my mom moving to Ingleside to get away from hurricanes (6 have hit or skimmed her last year in WPB, FL.) She'll be here in June. Betcha she brings one with her even tho told her to leave them there HAHAHA:thinking: Some Murphy Law or other?:doh:

sinfan75
05-16-2006, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I guarantee ya one thing. I ain't gonna get caught with my pants like last year. That all-out evacuation they had last year with the storm not even in the Gulf left me with no money and no water. Hopefully if one comes into the Gulf this year they'll at least wait and see which direction it's goin before they order an all-out exodus. And maybe this year they'll be a little more orderly about it. You no, beaches first, coastal cities 2nd inland areas 3rd. Not everybody at one time.

Crimestick
05-16-2006, 06:39 AM
From someone who took a direct hit from Rita last year, I could give a #*$& about the state's economy. I still haven't fixed everything.