PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 mothers who were also athletes

TheDOCTORdre
05-14-2006, 11:33 PM
Only a select few people of either gender know what it's like to compete as a high-ranking athlete. Fewer still are the great athletic champions who competed in sports while nurturing their children as a mom.
Photo gallery ...
Athletes and their moms

With Mother's Day upon us, we take a look at some of the greatest athletes who competed at their athletic peaks while also raising children. Included on this list are great athletes from golf, tennis, basketball, soccer, horse racing and bowling. They include single mothers, married mothers, divorced mothers, lesbian mothers and ordained ministers.

1. Nancy Lopez
When Nancy Lopez was 25 years old, she married major league baseball player Ray Knight. Lopez, who had one of the great years any golfer ever had (winning five straight tournaments in 1978), gave birth to her daughter, Ashley, in 1983. She won a golf tournament seven months earlier, late in her first trimester. By 1985, she won five tournaments, finished second in five others, won her second LPGA Championship, and returned to the top of the rankings. In May of 1986, Nancy had daughter Erinn Shea. Nancy wasn't through, as she won her third major, the LPGA Championship, in 1989. As late as 1997, she finished second at the U.S. Women's Open. She sacrificed a good portion of the peak of her great career, being a baseball wife and being a mother.

2. Julie Inkster

Julie Inkster won seven majors, including the 1999 U.S. Women's Open at Old Waverly Golf Course. (Luke Frazza/AFP / Getty Images)

Julie Inkster won the Crestar Classic on May 7, 1989 — just short of nine months before daughter Hayley was born on Feb. 4, 1990. By then, she already had a distinguished career. She had captured the U.S. Women's Amateur title from 1980-1982. She had 13 wins on Tour prior to becoming a mom. She played a limited schedule in 1990. When she returned full-time, she took up where she left off, losing in two major championship playoffs in 1992. After taking off most of 1994 for the birth of her second daughter, Cori, she won another 15 tournaments, including four majors (the 1999 and 2000 LPGA Championship, and the 1999 and 2002 U.S. Women's Open). She won seven majors, including four after having kids.

3. Glenna Collett Vare
Born in 1903, she was one of the greatest golfers of all time. You might not know of her, but you might have heard of the Vare Trophy, annually awarded to the LPGA golfer with the lowest scoring average. From 1919-1938, she competed annually in the U.S. Women's Amateur championship, winning six times, the last as a mother of two children (named Glenna and Edwin). In a later era, she would have been a professional, winning her share of major tournaments and millions of dollars.

4. Mary Bacon
Mary Bacon was a tough-as-nails athlete who won 286 races as a jockey. She might have won more, but women weren't even legally allowed to ride at tracks until 1969, when Mary was 21. Marrying a fellow jockey, she rode in three consecutive races one day before admitting herself to the hospital to deliver her daughter Suzy (in 1969). Her nickname was "Queen of the Turf." Bacon passed away at the age of 43 after a bout with cancer.

5. Margaret Smith Court
Born in 1942, she was one of the greatest women's tennis players of all-time. She won 62 Grand Slam titles in all, including 24 singles, 19 doubles, and 19 mixed doubles titles. She won all four major tournaments in 1970 to win the Grand Slam (when three of the tournaments were held on grass, her strength). In 1971, Court lost the singles final at Wimbledon to Evonne Goolagong while pregnant with her first child. Her son was born in early 1972. Court made a comeback the same year and played in the US Open. She is perhaps most known for a match held on Mother's Day in 1973 against self-proclaimed male chauvinist Bobby Riggs. She lost 6-2, 6-1 to Riggs, despite being the top ranked woman in the world. She won the 1973 women's singles title at the U.S. Open. In 1974, her second child, Marika, was born. Court started playing again, but retired permanently early in 1977 upon learning she was expecting the third of her four children. She devoted herself to her family and became ordained as a minister in 1991.

6. Evonne Goolagong
Evonne was born in 1951 in Australia, and grew up with Margaret Smith Court as her hero. She would win her share of major tournaments — seven — including Wimbledon victories in 1971 and 1980. At the time of her last Wimbledon, she had married Englishman Roger Cawley and had the first of their two children. Thus she was the first mother to win since Dorothea Douglass Chambers 66 years before.

7. Sheryl Swoopes
The WNBA is in getting set to commence its 10th season, and is in the process of voting for and naming their All-Decade team. There is little doubt that Swoopes will make the league's Top 10. She would make the team if it were limited to a starting five. She is a three-time Olympic gold medalist. She is a three-time WNBA MVP. She's one of the WNBA's original players, and has helped make the league last. Late in 2005, she came out of the closet and announced that she was a lesbian.
"Sexuality and gender don't change anyone's performance on the court," she said. Neither does motherhood.

8. Yolanda Griffith

Yolanda Griffith celebrated a WNBA title in 2005. (Rocky Widner/NBAE / Getty Images)

The WNBA Most Valuable Player in 1999, and four-time All Star, the 36-year old Griffith has a 16-year old daughter, Candace. Yolando supported herself and her daughter for a time early on by repossessing cars while a student at Palm Beach Junior College. As difficult as it must be to crash the boards against Lisa Leslie, it must have been harder to repossess cars. But when you're a mother, you do everything you can to put food in your child's mouth.

9. Flo McCutcheon
Born in the early 1900s, she is a most unlikely athletic champion. McCutcheon was a heavyset lady who used bowling to lose weight. As she got better, the gray-haired McCutheon used to challenge men to series of matches. She made her reputation as one of bowling's pioneers in a series of three-game blocks against Jimmy Smith, the then-reigning match-play champion. At the time, McCutcheon had a college-aged daughter. Smith was defeated 704-697, as Florence came from behind to win. From there, she embarked on a 50-city exhibition tour. She died in 1983, at the age of 79.

10. Joy Fawcett
She has been called "The Ultimate Soccer Mom" because, well, she plays soccer and she's a mom. Saying she played soccer was like saying Michael Jordan fooled around a little with a basketball, or Lawrence Taylor was an alright pass-rusher. She may have been the greatest defender of all-time. Joy played every minute of the 1995 Women's World Cup, the 1996 Olympics, and the 1999 Women's World Cup. She had daughter Katie in 1994, Carli in 1997, and Madi in 2001. Her story is not too dissimilar to a character in the movie The Incredibles. You know, where the mother excuses herself from a school meeting, in order to answer the call to play for the national team that needed

Gobbler Fan
05-14-2006, 11:44 PM
Another feel good story about a mom that ran in Austin sat.

Cameron Yoe's Lopez gets early Mother's Day present
Senior hurdler says she'll give the gold to her 10-month-old son, Jordan.

By Alan Trubow
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, May 14, 2006

They are gifts to her son.

The two shiny, gold medals that Cameron Yoe senior Nikki Lopez had draped around her neck Saturday weren't going to stay in her possession. Instead, she planned to give them to her 10-month-old son, Jordan, the biggest blessing of her life.

"He loves shiny things," Lopez said. "And now he's got two, so that's great."

They are also gifts to her dad.

Lopez dedicated her victories in the 300 hurdles and 100 hurdles at the Class 3A state track and field meet to her role model, her father, Matthew Lopez, who pushed her to continue in track when the burden of being a teenage mother almost made her quit.

"He motivated me. He inspired me, and look where I am now," Lopez said.

They are gifts to herself.

Because the two victories certainly are going to turn the heads of college recruiters, and Lopez desperately wants to earn a scholarship. Because earlier this week she was diagnosed with anemia, and she needed something to lift her spirits after getting out of the hospital Wednesday. And, because today is Mother's Day.

"This is a great Mother's Day gift," Lopez said. "I couldn't have asked for more. I have an amazing son. I have an amazing father. And now this."

Lopez's victories, a 14.45-second dash in the 100 hurdles and come-from-behind 44.32-second victory in the 300 hurdles, proved that her life finally has come full circle.

Her freshman year, she was part of the Yoemen's gold medal-winning 800-meter relay team.

"She was a gem her freshman year," Cameron Yoe coach Linda Richter said. "She came in with something to prove. Her sophomore year, she had a tough time. Things didn't go as well."

As a sophomore, Lopez finished fourth in the 100 hurdles and eighth in the 200 meters, but she was heading downhill in all aspects of her life.

"I was struggling at that time," Lopez said. "I was getting in trouble. I wasn't passing my classes. I had a real attitude. I think I was just young and immature. I had a lot of growing up to do.

"Then I got pregnant."

And life changed. She jogged for as long as she could, but eventually she had to stop running all together. Her legs grew weaker.

On July 1, 2005, she gave birth to Jordan.

Her parents, who have supported her and helped her financially so she could stay in school, told Lopez they wanted her to keep running track.

Lopez didn't think she could. She was a mother now. She just wanted to do well in school, enjoy her English and history classes and take care of her son. But she gave track another shot.

"When I started running indoor track in the winter, I didn't think I had it in me anymore," Lopez said. "After I had Jordan, I had trouble walking for a while because I had a C-section. And once I got back on the track, I really struggled. I got blown away. I was having a tough time getting over hurdles. I ended up getting passed one day. I really was ready to give up. It just didn't seem worth it."

That's when her father stepped in.

Matthew Lopez had gone through tough times himself, making $5 an hour at crummy jobs while trying to feed his growing family. And he had some advice for his daughter.

"I know everybody struggles, but we struggled very hard," Lopez said. "He told me all about his struggles and how he struggled growing up, and he said, 'You don't have to struggle.' You need to get back in shape and I should go for it."

So she turned her life around. She worked harder at track, put in longer hours. She studied harder and brought her grades up enough to make the honor society.

"She really has turned her life around," Matthew said. "I couldn't be prouder of her. I really couldn't have asked for a better daughter."

Though it hasn't been easy. When her friends are heading to the lake on Saturdays, she is busy taking walks with Jordan, because she loves pushing him in the stroller, and he likes being outside.

When her friends asked her to go buy hair supplies so they could look good for Saturday's state meet, Lopez said she couldn't, because she "needed the money to buy diapers."

"Becoming a mother, you have to grow up so fast," Lopez said. "But it's not easy.

"It's great because you have somebody to love and somebody to love you. I couldn't ask for anything else. I wouldn't trade him for the world. But I don't recommend it. Wait. Protect yourself. That would be my advice."

After spending today with Jordan, Lopez will be on a new quest, to secure that elusive scholarship.

"I came into state just wanting to medal. It didn't even have to be gold," said Lopez, adding that Northwestern (La.) State, Angelo State, McMurry University and Texas Tech are interested in her. "I just wanted the colleges to notice me. My parents said they would take care of Jordan while I go and finish up my education."

That's her next golden ticket. After all, she's already got the gold medals.

"And a golden child to go with them," Lopez said.

PhiI C
05-15-2006, 12:10 AM
I wonder why there wasn't room for Wilma Rudolph on the list. She was born to a poor black family in 1940 and had a bout with polio while she was very young but in spite of this she became a track star and went to Tennessee State as a track and field star. She had a baby girl in 1958. The father was Robert Eldridge and they later married and had three more children even though they later got divorced. She had a successful track and field career with the highlight being the 1960 Olympics in Rome where she won three gold medals in sprint races. A tv movie was made based on her life. It is not to the credit of the list that she is omitted. She passed away in 1994 at the age of 54.

AggieJohn
05-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Another feel good story about a mom that ran in Austin sat.

Cameron Yoe's Lopez gets early Mother's Day present
Senior hurdler says she'll give the gold to her 10-month-old son, Jordan.

By Alan Trubow
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Sunday, May 14, 2006

They are gifts to her son.

The two shiny, gold medals that Cameron Yoe senior Nikki Lopez had draped around her neck Saturday weren't going to stay in her possession. Instead, she planned to give them to her 10-month-old son, Jordan, the biggest blessing of her life.

"He loves shiny things," Lopez said. "And now he's got two, so that's great."

They are also gifts to her dad.

Lopez dedicated her victories in the 300 hurdles and 100 hurdles at the Class 3A state track and field meet to her role model, her father, Matthew Lopez, who pushed her to continue in track when the burden of being a teenage mother almost made her quit.

"He motivated me. He inspired me, and look where I am now," Lopez said.

They are gifts to herself.

Because the two victories certainly are going to turn the heads of college recruiters, and Lopez desperately wants to earn a scholarship. Because earlier this week she was diagnosed with anemia, and she needed something to lift her spirits after getting out of the hospital Wednesday. And, because today is Mother's Day.

"This is a great Mother's Day gift," Lopez said. "I couldn't have asked for more. I have an amazing son. I have an amazing father. And now this."

Lopez's victories, a 14.45-second dash in the 100 hurdles and come-from-behind 44.32-second victory in the 300 hurdles, proved that her life finally has come full circle.

Her freshman year, she was part of the Yoemen's gold medal-winning 800-meter relay team.

"She was a gem her freshman year," Cameron Yoe coach Linda Richter said. "She came in with something to prove. Her sophomore year, she had a tough time. Things didn't go as well."

As a sophomore, Lopez finished fourth in the 100 hurdles and eighth in the 200 meters, but she was heading downhill in all aspects of her life.

"I was struggling at that time," Lopez said. "I was getting in trouble. I wasn't passing my classes. I had a real attitude. I think I was just young and immature. I had a lot of growing up to do.

"Then I got pregnant."

And life changed. She jogged for as long as she could, but eventually she had to stop running all together. Her legs grew weaker.

On July 1, 2005, she gave birth to Jordan.

Her parents, who have supported her and helped her financially so she could stay in school, told Lopez they wanted her to keep running track.

Lopez didn't think she could. She was a mother now. She just wanted to do well in school, enjoy her English and history classes and take care of her son. But she gave track another shot.

"When I started running indoor track in the winter, I didn't think I had it in me anymore," Lopez said. "After I had Jordan, I had trouble walking for a while because I had a C-section. And once I got back on the track, I really struggled. I got blown away. I was having a tough time getting over hurdles. I ended up getting passed one day. I really was ready to give up. It just didn't seem worth it."

That's when her father stepped in.

Matthew Lopez had gone through tough times himself, making $5 an hour at crummy jobs while trying to feed his growing family. And he had some advice for his daughter.

"I know everybody struggles, but we struggled very hard," Lopez said. "He told me all about his struggles and how he struggled growing up, and he said, 'You don't have to struggle.' You need to get back in shape and I should go for it."

So she turned her life around. She worked harder at track, put in longer hours. She studied harder and brought her grades up enough to make the honor society.

"She really has turned her life around," Matthew said. "I couldn't be prouder of her. I really couldn't have asked for a better daughter."

Though it hasn't been easy. When her friends are heading to the lake on Saturdays, she is busy taking walks with Jordan, because she loves pushing him in the stroller, and he likes being outside.

When her friends asked her to go buy hair supplies so they could look good for Saturday's state meet, Lopez said she couldn't, because she "needed the money to buy diapers."

"Becoming a mother, you have to grow up so fast," Lopez said. "But it's not easy.

"It's great because you have somebody to love and somebody to love you. I couldn't ask for anything else. I wouldn't trade him for the world. But I don't recommend it. Wait. Protect yourself. That would be my advice."

After spending today with Jordan, Lopez will be on a new quest, to secure that elusive scholarship.

"I came into state just wanting to medal. It didn't even have to be gold," said Lopez, adding that Northwestern (La.) State, Angelo State, McMurry University and Texas Tech are interested in her. "I just wanted the colleges to notice me. My parents said they would take care of Jordan while I go and finish up my education."

That's her next golden ticket. After all, she's already got the gold medals.

"And a golden child to go with them," Lopez said.

i don't like this story at all...