PDA

View Full Version : Way to go Ramonce

injuredinmelee
05-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Running back Taylor arrested for marijuana possession
Longhorn jailed after report of fight in Bell County.
By Susanah Gonzales

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, May 14, 2006

University of Texas running back Ramonce Taylor was arrested early Sunday after Bell County sheriff's deputies found a backpack containing about five pounds of marijuana in the rear of his vehicle.

According to the Bell County sheriff's office, a live 40-caliber round of ammunition also was found in the center console of the vehicle.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
Coverage of May 13 elections
First two charter measures rejected
Dallas Baptist doubleheader no vacation for Texas
Pflugerville teacher sells baseball card for $5,899
Teen infected with rabies dies

Taylor remained at the Bell County Jail on Sunday afternoon on suspicion of possession of marijuana over five pounds, a second-degree felony. The Bell County district attorney's office was weighing whether to file charges.

Taylor, 20, was a sophomore running back for the national champion Longhorns. He was a part-time starter who scored a touchdown in the Rose Bowl. But Taylor was excused from spring drills with the team in March for unspecified academic reasons.

The arrest stemmed from an incident about 1:30 a.m. Sunday at a pecan farm on Texas 95 in Little River, a community about 10 miles south of Temple and east of Interstate 35.

According to a statement from the sheriff's department, deputies received a report of a fight involving as many as 100 people at the pecan farm.

While en route, deputies received a complaint from Taylor, who had been at the fight and whose vehicle window was broken, sheriff's officials said. A deputy met Taylor at a convenience store in Little River.

While interviewing Taylor, sheriff's officials learned that Taylor had threatened to return to the fight with a firearm and might be armed.

Taylor told the deputies that he was not in possession of any weapons and gave them permission to search his vehicle, sheriff's officials said.

Two other people with Taylor were released at the scene. Taylor's vehicle was impounded and placed on investigative hold. Taylor was cooperative and did not resist at any time during the incident, sheriff's officials said.

Taylor, who is from Temple and played for Belton High School, gained 513 yards rushing and caught 27 passes for 265 yards last season for the Longhorns. In the national championship game at the Rose Bowl, Taylor scored on a 30-yard run in the second quarter to give Texas a 16-7 lead.

Old Tiger
05-14-2006, 01:40 PM
Waste of talent....

District303aPastPlayer
05-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Waste of talent....

i love how you are so quick to drop that statement. He cooperated. a backpack was found in his car. ever have friends leave stuff in your car?

lostaussie
05-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i love how you are so quick to drop that statement. He cooperated. a backpack was found in his car. ever have friends leave stuff in your car? 5 lbs. of stuff at that:doh:

injuredinmelee
I cant imagine why he would call the cops himself knowing that he had 5lbs of weed in the trunk.

Old Tiger
Nope...don't really associate with the stuff

District303aPastPlayer
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I cant imagine why he would call the cops himself knowing that he had 5lbs of weed in the trunk.

my point exactly.

LH Panther Mom
05-14-2006, 01:48 PM
"But Taylor was excused from spring drills with the team in March for unspecified academic reasons."
I wonder if he had already finished finals, because I know some are still in progress. :thinking: :thinking:

injuredinmelee
05-14-2006, 01:49 PM
We should know more about the story tomorrow. Normally I would be crucifying this kid and I beeld ornage but as I said before Im not calling the cops for anything if I have a satchel of grass in the back. Im hoping he was leaving the fight to avoid a bad situation that would reflect badly on him and the Horns.

Emerson1
05-14-2006, 01:52 PM
One of the people at the party probably knew the cops were coming, saw the nearest car so they smashed the window in and got rid of it.

Cameron Crazy
05-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Grass in the back prolly the funniest thing i have heard today thanks injuredinmelee!

hutex04
05-14-2006, 02:17 PM
or maybe ramonce was so drunk he wasent thinking about the weed he had in the back of the car. I hope this turns out for the best. But lucky for UT, he wasent currently on the team

Cameron Crazy
05-14-2006, 02:53 PM
They have the best player in america on there team...Colt Mcoy lol thats all i hear about him at school it gets old

BreckTxLonghorn
05-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by hutex04
or maybe ramonce was so drunk he wasent thinking about the weed he had in the back of the car. I hope this turns out for the best. But lucky for UT, he wasent currently on the team

Well, he was only taking off spring practices to 'get his grades together', though i saw him drinking and partying at a concert on campus the day of the spring game, so maybe this will be a wake up call to him, showing he isnt invincible.

Cameron Crazy
05-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey i forgot you go to school there!

BreckTxLonghorn
05-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Hey i forgot you go to school there!

DID go to school there. I'm officially an alumnus now. :(

injuredinmelee
05-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Nice Congrats!

Txbroadcaster
05-14-2006, 05:20 PM
While I hope he is somehow innocent..MANY times a person has drugs in his car and still allows the police to search their vehicle. Not sure if they think that them saying no would make them look suspicious, or they think they have it hid really well, but either way the fact he consented does not automatically make him innocent.

Also even though he was the caller, he has also been identified as one of the fighters, and had threatened to return with a gun...But as stated before, it is better to wait for all the details come out. We see how the Duke case has blown up because of assumptions.

Gp83
05-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While I hope he is somehow innocent..MANY times a person has drugs in his car and still allows the police to search their vehicle. Not sure if they think that them saying no would make them look suspicious, or they think they have it hid really well, but either way the fact he consented does not automatically make him innocent.

Also even though he was the caller, he has also been identified as one of the fighters, and had threatened to return with a gun...But as stated before, it is better to wait for all the details come out. We see how the Duke case has blown up because of assumptions.

Very true...but the broken window leaves the defense wide open to blame someone else.

Keith7
05-14-2006, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
my point exactly.

He probably didn't expect the cops to search his car since all that happened was his window getting busted out..

but oh i bet he was nervous when they were looking

RMAC
05-14-2006, 09:22 PM
If this goes to court then there is not way that a jury (aside from one that's on a witch hunt) could find him 100% guilty b/c when you think about it, if there were really up to 100 people @ that party, then that broken window will probably be his saving grace. I know that weed is a controlled substance, but if he KNEW he had 5 lbs of weed in the back I highly, HIGHLY, doubt that he would say, YEAH, search the car.

Emerson1
05-14-2006, 09:30 PM
*thinks happy thoughts*

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/249/nationalchamps4004xf.jpg

PhiI C
05-14-2006, 11:08 PM
It could be a frame up. We must wait and see what happened. Circumstances happen. Plus don't forget the illegal search laws without a warrant. This ain't USSR.

etbu
05-14-2006, 11:16 PM
Dont worry there are plenty of Ut judges on CALL. :D

PhiI C
05-14-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by etbu
Dont worry there are plenty of Ut judges on CALL. :D

Whew! :)

RMAC
05-14-2006, 11:24 PM
Phil, didn't it say he consented to the search? I think it did, but I might be mistaken. I just didn't think that the GodFather would miss something to important to the case at hand.

PhiI C
05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
Phil, didn't it say he consented to the search? I think it did, but I might be mistaken. I just didn't think that the GodFather would miss something to important to the case at hand.

Magnificient point!!

lepfan
05-14-2006, 11:44 PM
I will keep my mouth shut...even though others did not when the shoe was on the other foot!!! Those big mouths know who they are. I do hope this was a mix up or whatever.....no college is immune.