PDA

View Full Version : Projected State Champs-Div. I West Orange-Stark..Div. II Jasper

Old Cardinal
02-03-2004, 10:31 PM
I would like to predict that WO-S will sweep the Div. I Championship...Likewise, since Silsbee is now in the same District as Jasper, that will put Jasper into Division II. I think they will make a straight run to the Crown, also. Both teams are loaded with quality skilled Seniors this coming fall....

<small>[ February 03, 2004, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

fred grunden
02-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Slow down there! Sounds good, but both Silsbee and Jasper have to make the playoffs. I like Jasper's chances, but Silsbee is another story.
Of course, they will give Jasper all they can handle, always have.

District303aPastPlayer
02-03-2004, 10:36 PM
I would like to formally become a full fledged homer, and say that Sinton will be more than loaded with a couple of perrenial all staters in Ramirez, Franco, and Rodriguez. Add to that the fact that they arelosing only 4-6 seniors... and almost all of the team that made a run to the Regional Finals will be back.. I wouldnt give the crown to WO-S just yet....

<small>[ February 03, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: District303aPastPlayer ]</small>

fred grunden
02-03-2004, 10:40 PM
Should have pointed out that I'm just talking about who makes the play-offs in our district.
The state championship is a very good goal, but no predictions from this fellow. Right now, I'd just like to see us beat WOS in that first game.

ej2525
02-03-2004, 10:43 PM
After going 0-10 last year you have to wonder what Silsbee has left talent wise. Dropping from 4A to I bet they still make the playoffs.

Old Cardinal
02-03-2004, 10:49 PM
Fred, I think Silsbee will make the 3rd team in that District up your way...I am excited Bridge City is scrimmaging Newton, Splendora, and Cleveland. They are then playing Jasper, LCM, Kirbyville, Liberty and Silsbee in Postseason...If they are ever going to get those Juniors and Sophomores ready-it will be against these good teams. I was thinking that Gainesville is the only team that might have a remote chance to slip-up on WO-S. My gut feeling is that they are going to be extra tough by playoff time. People can say what they want across the State, but I have seen them play some "hoss" 4As, and they ended up 8-2 with a young returning skilled team from last year. If nothing else a post like this will get some action on the board, LOL....

<small>[ February 03, 2004, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Ray_BearKat
02-03-2004, 10:54 PM
I think if Jasper does go D2 they have to get through Marlin or Rice Consolidated first then worry about wining state.

Old Cardinal
02-03-2004, 10:56 PM
Marlin may give them a game but they would beat Rice Cons. by 50 points easy...

Old Tiger
02-03-2004, 10:58 PM
ej2525:
After going 0-10 last year you have to wonder what Silsbee has left talent wise. Dropping from 4A to I bet they still make the playoffs.Look at Navasota.

pakrat
02-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Old Card, I know you are very familiar with Dan Hooks. What do you think Bridge City's chances are against WOS. I have known of some stuff Hooks has pulled. I once sat down by someone that had video equipment on the visitors side of the field
back in the days when video cameras weren't supposed to be brought into the stadium. These guys were videoing all the time. I got to listening and they seemed to be filming the other
teams hand signals. I remember when WOS dropped from 5A to 4A. They won state championships in 4A pretty quickly. I heard Hooks was talking about retiring a few years back, but he must have changed his mind when he started thinking about dropping into 3 A.

PPHSfan
02-03-2004, 11:27 PM
Man oh Man,

Let me tell you what. All you need to do to get Old Card to jump on your bandwagon is beat his beloved Bridge City football team like they stole something for a few years in a row. Yall remember year before last when Jasper was gonna roll through the playoffs without being scored on? That was right after they had thrashed Bridge City. What is Bridge City's record against WOS? Look it up. It is gonna be a fun run this year I can tell already. :D

Specklebelly
02-03-2004, 11:29 PM
Old Cardinal:
Marlin may give them a game but they would beat Rice Cons. by 50 points easy...Whhhooooooo, spot us 50 and Ill bet my life on covering that line. You sure love taking stabs at us every chance you get for some reason Old Card.

Lets all remember that at this time two years ago when Jasper dropped to 3A, the rest of the state was supposed to roll over and hand Jasper the state championship but that hasn't happened yet.

sinton66
02-03-2004, 11:30 PM
I guess Sinton hasn't beaten Bridge City lately , so we must not count. :D :D :D

PPHSfan
02-03-2004, 11:32 PM
sinton66:
I guess Sinton hasn't beaten Bridge City lately , so we must not count. :D :D :D If you can schedule BC in preseason and give them a good 40 point whoopin...Old Card will tell the whole world how your team can't be beat. :p

j_dog
02-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Specklebelly:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Old Cardinal:
[qb]....
Lets all remember that at this time two years ago when Jasper dropped to 3A, the rest of the state was supposed to roll over and hand Jasper the state championship but that hasn't happened yet.You have a good point there. Jasper has been a total and abject failure in 3a! In two years they have lost two 3a games on the field (twice in the Semi's to Burnet, now in 4a) and forfeited one game to Newton for using an ineligible player on a kickoff or two. Hard to do worse than that! :D

Seriously, Jasper may not have been able to deliver the state championship, but I have to agree with OC on WOS. WOS has proven that they know how to win it all. Div I teams are going to have their work cut to beat WOS. :)

j_dog
02-04-2004, 02:30 AM
Ray_BearKat:
I think if Jasper does go D2 they have to get through Marlin or Rice Consolidated first then worry about wining state.I think you are right. Jasper will just be worrying about winning their district. Marlin and Rice Cons have so much speed, don't know if Jasper can hang with them. frown

spiveyrat
02-04-2004, 06:45 AM
j_dog:

Ray_BearKat:
I think if Jasper does go D2 they have to get through Marlin or Rice Consolidated first then worry about wining state.I think you are right. Jasper will just be worrying about winning their district. Marlin and Rice Cons have so much speed, don't know if Jasper can hang with them. :(Sarcasm, right?

Matt
02-04-2004, 07:45 AM
Should we just cancel all the games and save everyone the embarsement of getting pounded by WOS & Jasper, and just go ahead and hand them the state titles?

duckbutter
02-04-2004, 09:26 AM
I too think that WOS has a VERY good shot at taking it all. The difference between Jasper's first yr and WOS next yr is coaching. Hooks knows how to win at all levels of play and has a record to prove it. My preseason picks would have WOS #1 and Jasper#2. Just my $.02

CatWoman
02-04-2004, 09:52 AM
Just to stoke the fire a bit, while you're doing the early playoff predctions, don't forget a few little teams out West namely Abilene Wylie, Midland Greenwood and Sweetwater. I think they will be hanging around come playoff time!! imho

JasperDog94
02-04-2004, 10:00 AM
FINALLY...some interesting discussion about football...and it's only February! :D

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-04-2004, 10:14 AM
CatWoman:
Just to stoke the fire a bit, while you're doing the early playoff predctions, don't forget a few little teams out West namely Abilene Wylie, Midland Greenwood and Sweetwater. I think they will be hanging around come playoff time!! imhoNo one has mentioned Vernon? They are returning a load of kids that will be in their second season under the new system. Not to mention that ALL the "skill positions" players are returning. They will probably have a better team this next year than the Region I championshipship team of this past year!

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 09:17 AM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

eagle.eyes
02-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Here we go again! Last year was Burnet this, Burnet that. They were very good as will be WOS. BUT, there's always a Gainesville/Atlanta type team smiling in the background. It'll happen again next year!

BigRedfan
02-04-2004, 11:45 AM
I can not believe I am typing this but you also can not leave out the defending state champion in Division II and that is the Atlanta Rabbits. They have a good coaching staff that can get the most out of their kids. I would not be surprised to see them go real deep in the playoffs again next year.

spiveyrat
02-04-2004, 12:31 PM
JasperDog94:
FINALLY...some interesting discussion about football...and it's only February! :D No kidding! I wouldn't have expected anything like this til at least the June/July timeframe. :D

Old Cardinal
02-04-2004, 12:37 PM
Sounds like a lot of people are jockeying to get their teams rated, which is usual each year...I just call them the way I see them...#1 WO-S & #2 Jasper!....I agree with the thoughts that Dangerous Dan Hooks, is an interesting guy, BUT he is one of the premier Coaches in Texas History. LOOK AT HIS RECORD OVER MANY SEASONS...Jasper, in my humble opinion, had the athletes but did not have a lot of snap in the Offensive Coaching, year before last.. Hooks has the 4A level athletes and a superb Coaching staff to back him up. They want start to really shine till the playoffs-- and Hooks will make a monkey out of some of the 3A Coaches he will face...

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-04-2004, 12:53 PM
spiveyrat:

JasperDog94:
FINALLY...some interesting discussion about football...and it's only February! :D No kidding! I wouldn't have expected anything like this til at least the June/July timeframe. :D Hey Spivey, just wait till we get some WOS people on here. That'll spice things up a bit! eek! :D

Old Cardinal
02-04-2004, 01:18 PM
To Pakrat: I can't see Bridge City as a contender of any kind in football, they will be lucky to go 5-5 against the stiff schedule they have chosen..WO-S, Jasper and some others have too many seasoned Senior ball players and are just superior to most 3A football, as we have known in the past....I do see BC as a viable State Contender in Cross County(boys and girls), Track(boys and girls), Weightlifting, Softball, Baseball,Tennis, and Golf. Football and Basketball are not going to be that strong next season. It is interesting; however, the Academic team wins nearly every contest that they enter. They did come in second in one 24 team competition to a composite team made up from Fort Bend County....Again football belongs to Jasper and WO-S plus Newton is now a shoo-in in 2A. A SE TEXAS may also win the 1A Division title, also.

Keith7
02-04-2004, 01:23 PM
Old Cardinal:
Sounds like a lot of people are jockeying to get their teams rated, which is usual each year...I just call them the way I see them...#1 WO-S & #2 Jasper!....I agree with the thoughts that Dangerous Dan Hooks, is an interesting guy, BUT he is one of the premier Coaches in Texas History. LOOK AT HIS RECORD OVER MANY SEASONS...Jasper, in my humble opinion, had the athletes but did not have a lot of snap in the Offensive Coaching, year before last.. Hooks has the 4A level athletes and a suburb Coaching staff to back him up. They want start to really shine till the playoffs-- and Hooks will make a monkey out of some of the 3A Coaches he will face...Gainesville should be number 1 until they are defeated.. which with Terrius coming back, may not be until after next season

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-04-2004, 01:41 PM
BigRedfan:
I can not believe I am typing this but you also can not leave out the defending state champion in Division II and that is the Atlanta Rabbits. They have a good coaching staff that can get the most out of their kids. I would not be surprised to see them go real deep in the playoffs again next year.I understand that Atlanta was senior heavy this year. I also noticed that they only suited up 29 players so they didn't seem to be too deep. I think that they had THE best team in 3A this year (sorry Gainsville but they were awesome, I didn't get a chance to see Gainsville play though). Next year will be hard for them because everyone will be shooting for them. They snuck under the radar on several teams this year.

<small>[ February 04, 2004, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Z motion 10 out on 2 ]</small>

JasperDog94
02-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Keith7:

Old Cardinal:
Sounds like a lot of people are jockeying to get their teams rated, which is usual each year...I just call them the way I see them...#1 WO-S & #2 Jasper!....I agree with the thoughts that Dangerous Dan Hooks, is an interesting guy, BUT he is one of the premier Coaches in Texas History. LOOK AT HIS RECORD OVER MANY SEASONS...Jasper, in my humble opinion, had the athletes but did not have a lot of snap in the Offensive Coaching, year before last.. Hooks has the 4A level athletes and a suburb Coaching staff to back him up. They want start to really shine till the playoffs-- and Hooks will make a monkey out of some of the 3A Coaches he will face...Gainesville should be number 1 until they are defeated.. which with Terrius coming back, may not be until after next seasonI'm not going to argue with you on that one, but I will say this. That's the exact same thing that Everman said last year. Then after Everman lost, Burnet had the target on their backs. While it's nice to be ranked #1, it's always better to win your last game.

Matthew328
02-04-2004, 02:01 PM
I actually have to agree somewhat with OC on this one....there are only 2 teams I can see in Div I that will be able to stay with WOS...and those are Gainesville and Sinton...maybe Abilene Wylie also...Class 3A is not near as deep going into next year...think about 6 Top 20 teams are now gone...Burnet, Forney, Everman, Celina, Newton and Ballinger are all in other classes...that is a big hit...

JasperDog94
02-04-2004, 02:15 PM
Matthew328:
I actually have to agree somewhat with OC on this one....there are only 2 teams I can see in Div I that will be able to stay with WOS...and those are Gainesville and Sinton...maybe Abilene Wylie also...Class 3A is not near as deep going into next year...think about 6 Top 20 teams are now gone...Burnet, Forney, Everman, Celina, Newton and Ballinger are all in other classes...that is a big hit...I'm assuming that you are putting Jasper in Div. II?

Matthew328
02-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah I think Jasper will be D2...I can't see Silsbee finishing less than 3rd..

JasperDog94
02-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Matthew328:
Yeah I think Jasper will be D2...I can't see Silsbee finishing less than 3rd..This is what's really unfair about DI and DII. Jasper's one of the largest schools in 3A, but we just happen to be in a district with a larger school. They should take the top 3 schools in a district, combine them with the other 8 schools in each region and then take the top 8 for DI. That would help balance out the numbers. Just my .02

crzyjournalist03
02-04-2004, 02:40 PM
out of curiosity, what's going on with current DII champs Atlanta? What kind of roster turnover will we see there?

hound22
02-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Snyder had a Great JV this year. they went 9-1 and blew away every district and non district opponent( beat wylie by over 21pts) with the exception to 4A frenship. All this with out the 3 best sophs ( one second team all district LB and Another Soph newcomer of the year for district 3-3A) . Snyder returns the heart to the O line and many on D as well. No doubt they will be very tough

BHKrystal06
02-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Ya'll don't forget that Barbers Hill is still here! Are ya'll saying that there is no chance for us since WO-S moved to 3A?

JasperDog94
02-04-2004, 06:36 PM
BHKrystal06:
Ya'll don't forget that Barbers Hill is still here! Are ya'll saying that there is no chance for us since WO-S moved to 3A?There's always a chance, but Barbers Hill failed to make it to the Region championship the past 2 years. Now with WOS in the mix, that's just going to make it that much harder.

spiveyrat
02-05-2004, 07:36 AM
JasperDog94:

BHKrystal06:
Ya'll don't forget that Barbers Hill is still here! Are ya'll saying that there is no chance for us since WO-S moved to 3A?There's always a chance, but Barbers Hill failed to make it to the Region championship the past 2 years. Now with WOS in the mix, that's just going to make it that much harder.JasperDog's right. There's always a chance. I didn't like Jasper's chances against Burnet this past year as much as I did the previous year with a "weaker" team. But, they dang near pulled it out! Just goes to show... come gametime, anything can happen.

GETBACKCOACH
02-05-2004, 09:11 AM
It's hard to be #1. Everyone wants you. But, how you play is how you finish. Jasper will be real good. W-O-S seems to be by old cardinal unbeatable (heard this already real recent- Burnet). Gainesville has one of the best offensive lines, one of the best backs in the NATION, and a defense that will be better than last returning next year.

And for the record, GHS JV's has only lost one game in the last 3 years and that game was 8-6. Depth.....

We will know for sure in December who is the best.

duckbutter
02-05-2004, 09:47 AM
Don't forget Atlanta, they can make you look real bad real fast. I think they were the best team in 3a last yr.

JasperDog94
02-05-2004, 10:03 AM
duckbutter:
Don't forget Atlanta, they can make you look real bad real fast. I think they were the best team in 3a last yr.Aren't they losing a lot of players to graduation?