PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather Of Texas Music” Dies after 1 1/2 tr battle with Cancer

TxRedneck13
05-13-2006, 03:56 AM
Born To John And Rose Mary Angelo Coffman On July 9, 1952, In Waco, Texas, Stephen (Steve) Anthony Coffman, ‘The Godfather Of Texas Music”, Was The Youngest Of Four Children, And After A Long And Courageous Battle With Cancer For Over 1 ½ Years, He Finally Found Peace On Monday, May 8, 2006, At 53 Years Of Age.
He Is Survived By His Wife, Vicky Zapp Coffman, His Son, Stephen Anthony (June Bug) Coffman, Jr., And Daughter, Mary Rose Coffman. He Is Also Survived By A Brother, John H. Coffman, Iii, Of Dallas And Two Sisters, Janean Coffman Carey, Ft. Worth, And Rosanne Coffman Johnson, Ft. Pierce, Fl. Also Surviving Are Numerous Nieces, Nephews, And Hosts Of Friends And Other Family Members.

Stephen Attended Elementary School In Houston At St. Michael’s, St. Thomas And Westchester High School, Graduating From Richardson High School In Richardson, Tx. In 1970. He Went On To Stephen F. Austin University And Began His Radio Career At A Nearby Station In Jacksonville On A Part Time Basis.

His Love For Radio, And Texas Music Took Him To The Doors Of
Kafm In Dallas At The Age Of 23. His New Format, “Texas Radio”, An Eclectic Mix Of Texas Swing, Rockabilly, Jazz, Blues And Coastal Sounds, Impressed Management, And He Soon Moved On To Kzew Where He Never Stepped Out Of The Spotlight. His Free Time Was Spent Emceeing The Dallas Symphony Performances And The Willy Nelson Fourth Of July Picnics.

After A Brief Sabbatical From Radio, Stephen Returned To The Airwaves In San Antonio . His Soulful Baritone Graced Many Stations In The Alamo City, Constantly Improving His “Texas Radio” Format, Touching The Hearts Of Music Lovers Everywhere He Was Heard.

In 1993 Stephen And Family Moved To Hallettsville And Started Broadcasting The “Texasmix” On His Network Of Local Stations. After Six Years, Stephen Moved The Family And Format To Victoria In 1999, Where He Operated Ktxn-Fm, And Realized His Dream Of Delivering His Music And Bringing The Community Together For Many Charitable Causes. Known As The “Voice Of Victoria”, Stephen Will Be Missed By Many And Was Loved By All.

Visitation Will Be Today From 6-8 P.M. At Rosewood Funeral Home On Mockingbird. A Funeral Mass Will Be Celebrated Friday , May 12, At 10:30 A.M. With The Rosary Preceding Mass At Our Lady Of Victory Cathedral, 1309 E. Mesquite Lane, Victoria.

The Family Requests That Memorials Be Made To The Hospice House, 605 E. Locust, Victoria 77901, Juvenile Diabetes Foundation Or The American Cancer Society Victoria-Relay For Life.

:(

Maroon87
05-13-2006, 06:15 AM
I just read an article on him in "Texas Music" magazine a few months back. He was a true pioneer. My condolances...:(

big daddy russ
05-13-2006, 06:42 AM
We were camping at Coleto Creek when 98.7 out of Victoria aired it's first song. For some strange reason, my buddy's car radio had stopped on that channel during a search, and I can't remember for the life of me why we left it there. We may have gotten busy or something, I just remember sitting around the campfire and all of a sudden a lightning bolt sound effects comes blaring through the speakers. It was Coffman's new station.

RIP

TxRedneck13
05-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Defently a true Pioneer of his time He will be missed.. :( RIP

Bull Butter
05-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Rest In Peace, Steve :(

Thanks for bringing some great music to the South Texas airwaves. :)