PDA

View Full Version : Wylie food fight ????

raider red 2000
05-12-2006, 10:42 AM
whats the scoop.

i read about it on another site....sounds pretty bad.

pero chato
05-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Some of the idiot seniors thought it would be fun to sling some food as a prank. Now for some bizarre reason, they and their parents are whining about the punishment. Guess what? If they hadn't started the food fight, there would be nothing to punish. I'm really sorry that life ain't fair, but it's a concept you'd better grasp quick or you'll have a tough time in the real world

Snyder_TigerFan
05-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Wylie food fight ain't over
Parents say punishment for cafeteria fracas unfair

By Sidney Levesque / levesques@reporternews.com
May 12, 2006

Wylie High School students and their parents are still steaming over how school officials handled punishments - including exclusion from most school activities - for a food fight last week that covered the cafeteria.

Nearly 30 students, many of them seniors, have received suspension, detention and exclusion from activities except baccalaureate and graduation for what school officials are calling a ''food riot.''

Parents, who said the melee lasted less than a minute, think the punishment is too harsh and not everyone involved was disciplined. They said they believe nearly 100 students were probably involved in the food fight, which was caught on videotape by surveillance cameras. But administrators won't let parents view the footage.

Principal Terry Hagler said he does not comment on discipline issues. He said everything has been discussed with the parents and students involved.

School officials have already spent many hours looking over the video, said Assistant Superintendent Joey Light. He said it is an administrative policy to allow parents to view surveillance video, which is relatively new to the high school, only if school officials plan to use footage as evidence. Because the students confessed, parents don't need to see the video, he said.

Parents also are not allowed to watch the video to look for other students participating because that could violate privacy rights, Light said. Parents said school officials told them they would need a court order to view the video.

Parents said they just want all the students involved in the food fight to be treated equally.

''If they're going to punish them, punish all of them. It's making our kids seem awful and they're not,'' said Becky Jennings, whose senior son, Jacob, 18, was punished.

Jacob said Assistant Principal Phil Boone called him and two other students into his office the morning of the food fight because he had heard a rumor it would take place that day. He told the students there would be consequences.

Jacob said Boone slipped on goggles and pulled out a water gun and a paddle, and jokingly said, ''We're prepared.''

''What kid wouldn't take that as an invitation?'' said Tony Barrera Sr., whose son Tony Barrera Jr. was one of the suspended students.

Senior Landon Morrow, 17, said the students decided to go forward with the food fight anyway, although some of the teenagers said it ''kinda just happened'' and got out of control.

During lunch, one student feigned he was choking and another pretended to help him. While Boone was distracted, the food fight started, students said. Some ducked under the table; teachers took refuge in the library. A stage curtain and the ceiling were splattered with Mexican food.

''There was not a square inch of the cafeteria that didn't have food on it,'' Jacob said. School employees quickly stopped a second attempted food fight at another lunch period later that same day.

Students said Boone asked several teenagers he thought were involved in the food fight to help clean up and confess, saying their punishment would be less severe. Those who confessed were immediately suspended from school for three days and not allowed to attend a sports banquet that night.

Barrera, whose son was a soccer team captain, said he thought that was the extent of the punishment.

Then parents of suspended students received a letter this week saying their children would be placed in a disciplinary alternative education program - akin to detention - for the rest of the school year starting Wednesday. If they are tardy more than once, they were told they will be expelled.

Further, they must pay for any damage, not socialize with other students at school or participate in any school activities, including the senior trip later this month to Six Flags Over Texas in Arlington. The students are allowed to participate in baccalaureate and graduation May 26.

Originally, about 22 students were suspended - all boys, even though girls were seen throwing food, too, teens and parents said. Four more students identified in the video were told Thursday they also will be punished.

''I don't think they want to admit they (administrators) handled it wrong,'' said Kathy Brown, whose son Ethan was punished.

Students said the experience put a damper on what should have been a fun senior year.

''Now I'm just ready to get out of here,'' said Tony Barrera Jr.

LH Panther Mom
05-12-2006, 11:18 AM
:weeping: :weeping: :weeping:

DL version (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=44356) ;)

injuredinmelee
05-12-2006, 11:32 AM
I want my kids to know that if you do the crime your gonna do the time. They are lucky they were not all suspended. I do however believe that the District should allow the parents to view the video tape. I cant tell you that the video is very hard to see and make out peoples faces but with a little work and study it can be done.

WOSgrad
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I remember a thread here a few weeks ago started by one of the supposed participants saying what a blast the food fight was and how much fun he had.

I wonder if he still feels that way.

Kudos to the Wylie school district for coming down with both feet on this!

EricDraven
05-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Kids acting stupid, parents showing why their kids are stupid. Sure all the great "fans" on here are enjoying this.

RMAC
05-12-2006, 12:36 PM
My friend called me the other day and told me what happened. I just laughed and he said he didn't really care if he got suspended or not, it was worth it.

Gobbla2001
05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
Sounds like fun to me, I would have done it...

A better punishment, however, would be making the students clean the cafeteria every day after school until school is out...

30 kids, wanting to get home from school? I guarantee you the job would get done a LOT faster than it has ever been done...

injuredinmelee
05-12-2006, 12:44 PM
but the time it takes to clean it up takes away from their time in the classroom.

Gobbla2001
05-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
but the time it takes to clean it up takes away from their time in the classroom.

Yah, that's why I said after school... but I'm sure now that I think about it that is is against certain health regulations to leave a cafeteria that dirty for that long...

Make 'em set up graduation or something... the stage etc... one chair at a time and stuff...

MHSvarsity2007
05-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Sounds like fun to me, I would have done it...

A better punishment, however, would be making the students clean the cafeteria every day after school until school is out...

30 kids, wanting to get home from school? I guarantee you the job would get done a LOT faster than it has ever been done...

i would've done it too. my friend from wylie said that everybody was okay with being suspended but they just ruined a $10,000 stage curtain, thats the only thing they were kinda worried about.

WOSgrad
05-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
My friend called me the other day and told me what happened. I just laughed and he said he didn't really care if he got suspended or not, it was worth it.

Perhaps it was the attitudes expressed by your friend and the young man on this thread that caused the punishment to be ramped up. That is that the Wylie school officials wanted to make sure that the price paid was not worth it.

I don't mean to sound like a kill joy, but I guess the son of a cafeteria employee, who was at work before the roosters crowed while he was growing up, doesn't really find any humor in a food fight at all.

Bulldawgs100
05-12-2006, 06:27 PM
The students who participated cleaned it up

injuredinmelee
05-12-2006, 09:19 PM
you guilty b?

Emerson1
05-12-2006, 09:32 PM
We used to have mini food fights last year, somehow there would be end up being no teachers in the cafeteria and the seniors would start it.

olddawggreen
05-13-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey, them taters in your hair ain't so funny anymore, now are they?:D :D

http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/3593/foodfight23bd.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Heres how they do it down on the farm;

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/6545/food20fight2qm.gif (http://imageshack.us)

:clap: :clap: