PDA

View Full Version : Kinky for Governor

piratebg
05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Friedman Submits Petition for Texas Ballot 2 hours, 34 minutes ago

AUSTIN - Musician and author Kinky Friedman took his rebel campaign for governor to state authorities Thursday, presenting 169,574 voter signatures he hopes will get him on the November ballot as an independent candidate.

"All I can say is, thank God for bars and dance halls," said Friedman, who wore his trademark black cowboy hat and chomped a cigar while explaining where many signatures came from.

Independent gubernatorial candidates had to collect 45,540 signatures from registered voters by Thursday's deadline to make it onto the ballot.

Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, the other major independent in the race, turned in Tuesday what her campaign said were 223,000 voter signatures.

Republican Gov. Rick Perry and Democrat Chris Bell will be on the fall ballot because they won their parties' primaries in March.

The Secretary of State's Office has said it will take five or six weeks to verify whether Friedman and Strayhorn have enough valid signatures. An outside vendor will input the names into a computer database, then state officials will check the names for validity.

Those who signed the independent candidates' petitions cannot have voted in the Republican or Democratic primaries or runoffs. Voters cannot sign more than one independent petition, or the signature provided second won't be counted.

pirate44
05-11-2006, 07:20 PM
this should be interesting. he seems like a real man's man. a true texan, heart and soul. whether he can run a country..uh i mean state is yet to be seen.

GreenMonster
05-11-2006, 07:35 PM
Let's get KINKY in '06!!

pirate44
05-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Let's get KINKY in '06!!
i dont have the guts to cast that one

mustang04
05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
That would be cool if we could get Kinky in office....

CLINTON DID!!!! :D

GreenMonster
05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
i dont have the guts to cast that one

I do, but I don't really think he will make a real impact though. Even if he does get elected, he has no support for his ideas in the legislature to make an impact. I think it would be good for Texas and would send a real message to the politicians that we want action on these lingering issues and not more special sessions. I've got a bad case of tired head from all the lollygagging these guys have been doing over the past 3-4 years. We've got Democrats leaving the state in order to get their way and we have Republicans (that already have the majority) re-drawing the voting district lines to give them an even bigger advantage. All the while we have underfunded schools, under paid teachers, and the federal government threatening to pull their funds if we don't fix the stupid Robinhood Plan that has been deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. I'm not saying that Kinky can fix any of these issues but I do think it would be a very loud message from the voters of this great state to the established parties to get off their butts and take care of business for a change.

Emerson1
05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
Who was the guy that was running who wanted to put a 100% tax on video games and a %50 tax on candy and cokes?

STANG RED
05-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Kinky is a strange fellow!!! I'd like to set and drink a cold beer with him and talk politics, but I'm not sure I would want him in the Governors mansion. He has a lot of good ideas, but he also has a lot strange, far out ideas as well. He'll never garner enough support to get elected, and he knows it, but he's gonna raise a lot of important issues, and should make the debates interesting, if he can get in them. Even if he somehow did manage to get elected, I doubt he would have enough support in Austin to ever get anything done. At least this wont be a boring election.

olddog73
05-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Let's get KINKY in '06!!

I haven't been this excited since I voted for Clayton Williams, or was it Ross Perot? :confused: :confused: :doh: :crazy: