PDA

View Full Version : Gobblers want to get medal in 6th trip to state

Gobbler Fan
05-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Gobblers want to get medal in 6th trip to state
May 11, 2006
PAUL EBNER - Advocate Sports Writer
CUERO - The past three trips to the state golf tournament have resulted in fourth-place finishes for the Cuero Gobblers and that is something this year's team is ready to change.

Advertisement
"That's been one of our goals all year long - to get over the hump and get a medal," Gobblers coach John Fuqua said. "It took us a couple of tries to get over that eighth-place hump. Now it's time to get over fourth place."

The Gobblers will get their shot today and Friday in Austin at the Jimmy Clay Golf Course, but Fuqua knows it will also be a tough task to accomplish.

Cuero comes into the Class 3A state tournament with the second-best regional score, but six teams are all within 33 strokes of each other.

"I think this is the first year that there have been so many low scores coming out of regional since we've been going to state," Fuqua said. "It's going to be tight."

Graham, last year's state runner-up, comes in as the top seed with a 586 regional score, followed by Cuero's 593. Borger, the runner-up to Graham in Region I, is next with a 596, while defending state champion Palestine follows with a 600 and Lindale, the Region II champion, has a 609.

"I told the kids that this is what state should be, the best of the best, and that's what we are going to have," Fuqua said.

The Gobblers will be making their sixth trip to state in seven years, missing only in 2003. The only other trip to state the Gobblers made came in 1975.

Cuero has captured three regional titles and finished as the runner-up four times in 20 appearances since 1962. That stretch also includes 10 district titles.

Only two of the five Gobblers have experience of playing at the state tournament and Fuqua said that could be a key factor in Cuero's efforts to medal.

"I know there is going to be some anxious moments for some of them, especially when they get up on that first tee," Fuqua said. "I'm anxious to see how well they perform."

Fuqua should have plenty of confidence in his two returnees - Austin Griffin and Steven Bell. Griffin tied for fourth individually last year at state and won the regional title this year with a 69-75-144. Bell finished fourth at regional with a pair of 73s.

Donavon Sanchez also turned in a pair of 73s for the Gobblers at regional, while Gabe Villarreal placed 16th with an 80-79-159 and Johnny Spears was 22nd with a 78-85-163.

44INAROW
05-11-2006, 07:26 AM
Johnny tees off at 8:50 - Gabe, Donavon, Steven and Austin in 10 minute increments after him......... Good Luck Guys :)

LH Panther Mom
05-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Johnny tees off at 8:50 - Gabe, Donavon, Steven and Austin in 10 minute increments after him......... Good Luck Guys :)
Good luck to 44INAROW, Jr. :)

Ranger Mom
05-11-2006, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Good luck to 44INAROW, Jr. :)

Ditto that! Keep us informed how it's going!!

44INAROW
05-11-2006, 03:54 PM
my previous info was kind wrong... so here is corrected updates......
School First Round Score
Palestine 299
Graham 308
Borger 311
Lindale 313
Atlanta 331
Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson 331
Cuero 331
Sweeney 341

OK guys, we've spotted them 32 strokes, now it's time to get down to business :) GO MEAN GREEN :)

injuredinmelee
05-11-2006, 04:12 PM
where do the Graham kids practice everyday? How in the world are they always so good? Its like San Saba. They have this little 9 hole job in town and nothing even close thats a tough track but they seem to do well almost every year.
Good coaching?

Cameron Crazy
05-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Well me being from Graham we have gotten second two times now at state and we were beaten by Palestine...They practice at our golf course Graham Country Club...I think the reason why they are so good is cause they have so much depth..and plus the Coach is awsome and knows alot of golf not bashing our later coaches but ya so that has to be why..

gobblerfan02
05-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
my previous info was kind wrong... so here is corrected updates......
School First Round Score
Palestine 299
Graham 308
Borger 311
Lindale 313
Atlanta 331
Sour Lake Hardin-Jefferson 331
Cuero 331
Sweeney 341

OK guys, we've spotted them 32 strokes, now it's time to get down to business :) GO MEAN GREEN :)

Any individual scores would be helpful Lorie, or I'll just give you a call tomorrow afternoon to see how the boys did if its not posted on here by then!

44INAROW
05-12-2006, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by gobblerfan02
Any individual scores would be helpful Lorie, or I'll just give you a call tomorrow afternoon to see how the boys did if its not posted on here by then!

I hope I have good news to share when I call :)

DAYUM this getting up early :eek: