PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Sweetwater

tors2002
09-28-2002, 09:43 PM
I would like to congratulate Sweetwater on their win over Abilene Wylie. Was anyone at the game that could tell me if the game was closer than the score or did Sweetwater dominate as the score indicates?

wildstangs
09-28-2002, 11:55 PM
Tors, I would love to tell you about the game. Sweetwater finally scored about 5 minutes before halftime. We go up 7-0. With under a minute left before the half, the Wylie kicker boots a 49 yard field goal!! 7-3 at the half. Wylie comes back out and scored the first TD to take a 10-7 lead. That would be it for the Dawgs. Three straight fumbles led to 21 points. Most impressive was Junior Tailback Josh Jackson. A few people had been saying all week that Carillo was all we had. Looked to me (and a few wylie fans) like Wylie gave up after the fumbles. It was a great one for us. Sure beats the 2000 season when they schooled Sweetwater and Lamesa. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif

Adidas410s
09-29-2002, 02:48 AM
Yeah I would agree that Wylie pretty much quit after the 3 fumbles. Coach Sandifer even decided to punt it away w/ about 5 minutes to go rather than go for it on 4th and 10 from midfield.

The game was quite intersting in the begining. Wylie takes the ball on its 1st drive and gets down the Sweetwater 8 before having a holding penalty and 2 dropped passes in the endzone and our kicker misses a 30 yd FG about 6" left. Then Sweetwater drives down inside the Wylie 10 before having their own FG blocked by Wylie. After that it was pretty much back and forth until Carillo throws up a prayer from midfield that is caught by a pretty much unnoticed Randy Tenery for a 39 yd TD. That was either the 2nd or 3rd pass that Carillo had thrown deep and finally one was caught. Just a side note, Carillo finished the game 3-7 for 78 yds. Just wanted to point that out to those that said that he is just as good of a passing QB as a running QB. He had ample oppourtunity to throw the ball in the 1st half when all of their backfield was shutdown by the Wylie defense and instead he chose to run. Give credit to Wylie for holding him to 64yds on 11 carries. I believe that he was averaging around 130 yds coming into the game.

Another side note, the 50 yd FG was huge for Wylie to end the 1st half and it looked like they were going to use that HUGE momentum booster when they came out and scored to start the 2nd half, but after the fumble on the next drive, they seemed dead for the rest of the game.

Fumbles are what have been killing Wylie this year. We had 3 against Lake View and lost 2. We had 3 against Snyder and lost 2. We had 3 against Aledo and I think lost all 3 of them. We had 4 against Graham but only lost 1. Against Sweetwater we had 5 and lost and lost 3.

I am GLAD that we have a week off now. Hopefully we can fix this fumbling problem because it is plaguing a good team from taking the next step.

Congrats to Sweetwater for taking advantage of the 2 straight gifts inside our own 40 that we gave y'all. Hopefully that will motivate Wylie into working harder on holding onto the ball instead of trying to always get the extra yard and letting the ball hang out there to get stipped. I guess we will see in 2 weeks if things work out!

whsfan
09-29-2002, 05:10 PM
Of course it looked like Wylie gave up after the fumbles happened. They did give up. Because everyone (especially the players) knows what happens when the fumbles start. You can't win by fumbling the football. So far coach has not made any moves to improve the problem. Just waiting and hoping that it won't happen anymore.

hsguru
09-29-2002, 05:45 PM
when you think about it the guys fumbling are all seniors. If you ahvent learned how to hold onto it by now you never will. Who else could he possibly put in there to carry the ball?? Maybe if they would develop some physical play up front things would be better and they wouldnt have to break tackles in the backfield. Dont think that I am downplaying the fumbles because they are one of the things that is klilling this team. Anyone for BLOOD ALLEY to toughen them up??

wildstangs
09-29-2002, 05:52 PM
Carillo 64 yards was still more than any Bulldog rushed for. All week people from Wylie came on here saying that Carillo was all we had. That if they stopped him, they would win. Good to prove them wrong.

I wouldnt totally blame the loss on Wylies offense either. Of course the fumbles were huge, but the Bulldog defense couldnt stop Josh Jackson or Jack Squires in the 2nd half.

spiderman
09-29-2002, 06:42 PM
But you have to remember Mr. Wildstangs that the Bulldog defense had to play most of the game because of all the offensive fumbles. This was an advantage to your offense, Wylie's defense wasn't getting a break.

Ranger Mom
09-29-2002, 06:52 PM
Well..........I figure that's what is is all about! That's football man, you want to have possession of the ball as much as possible, wearing down the defense in the process.
WAY TO GO MUSTANGS!!!!

wildstangs
09-29-2002, 10:08 PM
spiderman:
But you have to remember Mr. Wildstangs that the Bulldog defense had to play most of the game because of all the offensive fumbles. This was an advantage to your offense, Wylie's defense wasn't getting a break.So your saying that in 2000 the only reason Wylie beat us 31-0 was because our defense had to play most of the game?

Excel94
09-30-2002, 12:23 AM
Wildstangs,
I believe I have been reading post all over this board giving Sweetwater the credit for being a great team. It has been said time and again you guys have a great TEAM. Spiderman did not say anything about the year 2000, just you. You guys derserve all the credit of being a good TEAM. The people from Wylie on here are talking about correcting the problems going on with their team. In that 21 of the 28 points Sweetwater had were from 3 fumbles in the 4th quarter. Again I must stress you guys hava a great team and you were a better team than Wylie on Friday. By the way I also think that your coach and team showed alot of class by not scoring on us again in the last seconds of the ballgame by taking a knee. I am sure you would have put it in the endzone.
Ranger mom I am just curious did you go to the game on Friday? Our defense was exhausted and unless you have seen our defense play dont tell me what football is all about. Spiderman was making a point about how much time they spent on the field. I'll tell you what football is all about and that is a kid who loves the games so much that he didnt tell anybody he did not feel well, because he wanted to play. He is a huge part of our offense and defense. He was admitted to the hospital on Sat. after playing his heart out. That is what football is all about.

Excel94
09-30-2002, 12:33 AM
Guru,
In reply to your question about who else they could put in the backfield. I was wondering if you ever watched Matt Gross #40 play when he was on JV? I have heard he is good prospect with good hands. They say he got alot of yards and TD's on JV. Why do you think he is not being used back there. I think he could be a good tool for the Wylie offense.

wildstangs
09-30-2002, 07:30 AM
Excel94:
Wildstangs,
I believe I have been reading post all over this board giving Sweetwater the credit for being a great team. It has been said time and again you guys have a great TEAM. Spiderman did not say anything about the year 2000, just you. You guys derserve all the credit of being a good TEAM. The people from Wylie on here are talking about correcting the problems going on with their team. In that 21 of the 28 points Sweetwater had were from 3 fumbles in the 4th quarter. Again I must stress you guys hava a great team and you were a better team than Wylie on Friday. By the way I also think that your coach and team showed alot of class by not scoring on us again in the last seconds of the ballgame by taking a knee. I am sure you would have put it in the endzone.
Ranger mom I am just curious did you go to the game on Friday? Our defense was exhausted and unless you have seen our defense play dont tell me what football is all about. Spiderman was making a point about how much time they spent on the field. I'll tell you what football is all about and that is a kid who loves the games so much that he didnt tell anybody he did not feel well, because he wanted to play. He is a huge part of our offense and defense. He was admitted to the hospital on Sat. after playing his heart out. That is what football is all about.Fair enough Excel :)

wildstangs
09-30-2002, 09:33 AM
Excel94:
Wildstangs,
Ranger mom I am just curious did you go to the game on Friday? Our defense was exhausted and unless you have seen our defense play dont tell me what football is all about. Spiderman was making a point about how much time they spent on the field. I'll tell you what football is all about and that is a kid who loves the games so much that he didnt tell anybody he did not feel well, because he wanted to play. He is a huge part of our offense and defense. He was admitted to the hospital on Sat. after playing his heart out. That is what football is all about.I just wanted to let you know that I really meant no disrespect. I was just commenting on some of the posts. Some people seemed to be getting at the point that we just happened to get lucky and all. How is the young man from Wylie doing?

pero chato
09-30-2002, 10:21 AM
Hey Wildstangs, y'all really put it to us Friday night! I had mentioned in an earlier post that your defense was getting better each week and they proved me right. I think Sweetwater also answered the critics who think it's all a one man show. Carillo's numbers may not have been the greatest, but his execution was near perfect--and that was to keep our defense off balance. True, we helped with some gifts (fumbles), but the Sweetwater defense either caused or recovered the three fumbles, so give them the credit. Then of course the offense shoved it down our throats. Turnovers sure can demoralize a team. It looked like we gave up after the second fumble. The injury bug bit us, also. Our running back missed most of the first half, and his replacement was playing hurt. The player in the hospital is one of our linemen. I'm getting information third hand, but I heard he has a leg infection and 104 fever. Don't have a status this morning--I appreciate you asking. Good luck in district and in the playoffs. Like I said earlier, I hope we DON'T meet again down the road. lol.

Animal02
09-30-2002, 03:25 PM
From the info i got about the player...which i was told by a teammate of his was that he was in the hospital because he had a tempurature of 105..which is near death..

Ranger Mom
09-30-2002, 04:08 PM
Ranger mom I am just curious did you go to the game on Friday? Our defense was exhausted and unless you have seen our defense play dont tell me what football is all about. Spiderman was making a point about how much time they spent on the field. I'll tell you what football is all about and that is a kid who loves the games so much that he didnt tell anybody he did not feel well, because he wanted to play. He is a huge part of our offense and defense. He was admitted to the hospital on Sat. after playing his heart out. That is what football is all about.[/QB]I also meant no disrespect and no I wasn't at the game. I just commented that, in my opinion, you would want to dominate the ball during a game hoping the defense would wear down. But hey, I'm just a "girl" what do I know?? :)
Seriously though, I hope your sick player makes a complete recovery soon. I had read on a post after yours that his temp was 105 - that is scary!! Keep us informed on how he is doing and he is in my prayers!!

Excel94
09-30-2002, 04:55 PM
Ranger Mom and Wildstangs,
Thank you for your prayers and concern for our player. Last update we got his fever is still extremely high, he has a staph infection in his leg which the doctors think he will recover from just fine. They are keeping him because of the very high fever.
Sorry if I got short with you guys. You know when things happen like Chris being put in the hospital it makes you think what really matters and football is just a game that I am very guilty of taking way to serious.

Ranger Mom
09-30-2002, 05:08 PM
No problem, excel. Believe me, we ALL understand. Hats off to Chris (I believe that's what I read), to play when he obviously should not have been, shows a tremendous amount of "HEART". If players don't have heart, they might as well kiss their season good-bye. That is just another personal opinion of mine!!

wildstangs
09-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Excel94:
Ranger Mom and Wildstangs,
Thank you for your prayers and concern for our player. Last update we got his fever is still extremely high, he has a staph infection in his leg which the doctors think he will recover from just fine. They are keeping him because of the very high fever.
Sorry if I got short with you guys. You know when things happen like Chris being put in the hospital it makes you think what really matters and football is just a game that I am very guilty of taking way to serious.Shows us all what is really important in life. Please keep us updated, and God Bless.

MustangFan03
09-30-2002, 09:37 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Adidas410s:
<strong>Yeah I would agree that Wylie pretty much quit after the 3 fumbles. Coach Sandifer even decided to punt it away w/ about 5 minutes to go rather than go for it on 4th and 10 from midfield.

The game was quite intersting in the begining. Wylie takes the ball on its 1st drive and gets down the Sweetwater 8 before having a holding penalty and 2 dropped passes in the endzone and our kicker misses a 30 yd FG about 6" left. Then Sweetwater drives down inside the Wylie 10 before having their own FG blocked by Wylie. After that it was pretty much back and forth until Carillo throws up a prayer from midfield that is caught by a pretty much unnoticed Randy Tenery for a 39 yd TD. That was either the 2nd or 3rd pass that Carillo had thrown deep and finally one was caught. Just a side note, Carillo finished the game 3-7 for 78 yds. Just wanted to point that out to those that said that he is just as good of a passing QB as a running QB. He had ample oppourtunity to throw the ball in the 1st half when all of their backfield was shutdown by the Wylie defense and instead he chose to run. Give credit to Wylie for holding him to 64yds on 11 carries. I believe that he was averaging around 130 yds coming into the game.

Another side note, the 50 yd FG was huge for Wylie to end the 1st half and it looked like they were going to use that HUGE momentum booster when they came out and scored to start the 2nd half, but after the fumble on the next drive, they seemed dead for the rest of the game.

Fumbles are what have been killing Wylie this year. We had 3 against Lake View and lost 2. We had 3 against Snyder and lost 2. We had 3 against Aledo and I think lost all 3 of them. We had 4 against Graham but only lost 1. Against Sweetwater we had 5 and lost and lost 3.

I am GLAD that we have a week off now. Hopefully we can fix this fumbling problem because it is plaguing a good team from taking the next step.

Congrats to Sweetwater for taking advantage of the 2 straight gifts inside our own 40 that we gave y'all. Hopefully that will motivate Wylie into working harder on holding onto the ball instead of trying to always get the extra yard and letting the ball hang out there to get stipped. I guess we will see in 2 weeks if things work out!</strong>[/QUOTEFrom what I saw of the game it looked as though the Sweetwater D. was much quicker than Wylie and was knocking the snot out of the Wylie players. No gifts, just take aways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<small>[ September 30, 2002, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: MustangFan03 ]</small>

spiderman
09-30-2002, 10:12 PM
[/QUOTEFrom what I saw of the game it looked as though the Sweetwater D. was much quicker than Wylie and was knocking the snot out of the Wylie players. No gifts, just take aways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QB][/QUOTE]

This is just a brillant observation. Everyone from Wylie has repeatedly stated that "SWEETWATER HAS A VERY GOOD TEAM".

Do you need to read it another 100 times?

Well fine, "SWEETWATER HAS A VERY GOOD TEAM" X 100.

Now maybe we got that settled.

Oh, by the way, that was one hell of Sweetwater shot when our QB trips on the gaurd backing out from center and fumbles. By my count we turned lose of the ball 5 times in the first half and 3 in the second half. But there were no gifts. Oh by the way, we've had these kind of fumbles for the last 3 games and they seem to be getting worse.

But again, no gifts, just that "SWEETWATER HAS A VERY GOOD TEAM".

hsguru
10-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Gross and Landon were spectacualr on JV. I think between them they had 58 touchdowns. And "the UNSTOPPABLE" two point play in the words of Crider was ran so many times to perfection.

heck
10-01-2002, 02:31 PM
After reading these posts, I have a few observations/questions:

1. Whose fault is it when a team fumbles? Is this an excuse for a loss or a reason for a win? Put another way, is this great defense or poor offense?

2. If a defense is on the field for long stretches and fatigue sets in, does this mean that there are no defensive subs? Doesn't Wylie bring about 60 players to each game?

3. If the only thing a qb can do is run, who cares as long as he wins?

4. If you say one team has a "great team" and in the next breath/sentence say fumbles caused your loss, do you really mean to give credit to the winning team or make excuses for a loss?

I saw Sandifer on tv after the game and he gave all the credit to the Sweetwater team...after he mentioned all of the reasons/excuses for loosing the game.

...just a few observations.

<small>[ October 01, 2002, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: heck ]</small>

Ranger Mom
10-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Ahhhh......veddy good questions!! I, of course, have no answers, but will be curious to see some that will undoubtedly be posted!!

pero chato
10-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Well heck, Heck. Lemme see if I can address your observations. 1. The blame of losing the ball lands firmly on the ballhandler. He should be able to take a hit and not fumble. Proper technique in carring the ball should be coached and practiced to death. So, to answer your question -- it's poor offense in execution and great defense in delivering the hit and recovering the fumble. In a tight game we all know that turnovers can make the difference, no excuses--just fact. 2. It seems overall that defenses tire before offenses. I don't know why. Maybe you have an idea. (Wylie brings a lot of players but a lot of them are JV and are not eligible to play). But a tired defense is a tired excuse in my opinion, so I agree with you. 3. There are those critics of Mr. Carillo that believe all he can do is run. I am not one of those people. He does what it takes to win and does it well. He is a great leader and athlete. He proved that Friday night. 4. Shouldn't be any excuses for the loss. I think what you are reading is a lot of frustration from the fans and players for the number of turnovers per game-- whether we win or lose it's still frustrating. 5. Coach Sandifer is surely frustrated as well. Playing a team as good as Sweetwater, you can't give them any short field opportunities. Again, this is not an excuse, it's a fact and can be applied to any close game by any two teams. I think that was his point.