PDA

View Full Version : Theodore Roosevelt and Immigration

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-10-2006, 08:04 PM
Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

ILS1
05-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Sorry,but it's been posted about 10 times already!!!!

:p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
05-10-2006, 08:19 PM
Sorry, I was completely unaware...oh the infamy...oh the shame....:D

Gobbla2001
05-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Sorry,but it's been posted about 10 times already!!!!

:p

Come on now, ILS1, don't gripe at the guy unless you know the facts... it's been posted 11 times... jk :D

GetRDoneStangs
05-10-2006, 10:00 PM
:D :D :D

Well, if you say something over and over......
Maybe it will stick!!!

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Ranger Mom
05-11-2006, 07:05 AM
I actually thought this was only the 3rd time!:D

olddog73
05-11-2006, 08:15 AM
It doesn't matter how many time its been posted in the past, this is the first time that I have seen it, and its great, thanks for posting it! :)

raider red 2000
05-11-2006, 10:34 AM
old dog- you should read more then....it has been on here a bunch.

;)

wedo
05-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907:

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

Ok, about the flag, i have a shirt that has the MEXICAN flag on it and i wear it proudly!!!! OK!! What is the difference between that and when i see all these Confederate or "Rebel" Flags on people trucks and in the air at the beach!!! What is the Difference????

zeus63
05-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Ok, about the flag, i have a shirt that has the MEXICAN flag on it and i wear it proudly!!!! OK!! What is the difference between that and when i see all these Confederate or "Rebel" Flags on people trucks and in the air at the beach!!! What is the Difference????

The difference is that you are wearing it to show that you are proud of your heratige. You don't actually wish that America would become Mexico. As for all those people that wear the Conferate flag on their shirts, those people are just ignorant.

wedo
05-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
The difference is that you are wearing it to show that you are proud of your heratige. You don't actually wish that America would become Mexico. As for all those people that wear the Conferate flag on their shirts, those people are just ignorant.

So why doesn't nobody complain about those people??

Sweetwater Red
05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
They do all the time. Did you not hear
about the long running debate over the
state flag of South Carolina.

wedo
05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
They do all the time. Did you not hear
about the long running debate over the
state flag of South Carolina.

O yeah!! I remember now!!

piratebg
05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
When I was in junior high, there was an issue that developed because of the Mexican and Confederate flag. Most of those involved were athletes, too. You had the hispanic students throwing the Mexican flag at the white kids and the white kids throwing the Conferate flag at the hispanics. Then there were those, like me, who thought the whole thing was stupid.

The hispanics asked why I didn't stand up for the Mexican flag with them, I flat out said it's not my flag. I'm not from Mexico. I'm not Mexican. I'm American. I know my flag and that's not it.

On the other hand, I despise the Confederate flag with a passion. In my opinion, that flag is a symbol of disunity in one this country's darkest times. That flag led to the deaths of so many American on both sides of the war. It should be made illegal. You have those that would argue it is a symbol of white supremecy or salvery, and that may be true in some cases, but ultimately, to me, it is a symbol of death and destruction.

I know my flag. Red, White, Blue, 13 stripes and 50 stars.....no other flag matters.

piratebg
05-11-2006, 01:36 PM
One day, a fight broke out in the locker room over this crap and the coaches were so POed about the whole thing. Things did fizzle down eventually, but I've never forgotten that whole ordeal.

It's like wedo said, some people are just plain ignorant.

zeus63
05-11-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by wedo
So why doesn't nobody complain about those people??

I do. Matter of fact there was a guy that put one in the window of his house across the street from our school. We got enough people to complain about it and they made him take it down. It's ridiculous that people even want to associate themselves with that. Most don't even know what it represents to begin with.

zeus63
05-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
When I was in junior high, there was an issue that developed because of the Mexican and Confederate flag. Most of those involved were athletes, too. You had the hispanic students throwing the Mexican flag at the white kids and the white kids throwing the Conferate flag at the hispanics. Then there were those, like me, who thought the whole thing was stupid.

The hispanics asked why I didn't stand up for the Mexican flag with them, I flat out said it's not my flag. I'm not from Mexico. I'm not Mexican. I'm American. I know my flag and that's not it.

On the other hand, I despise the Confederate flag with a passion. In my opinion, that flag is a symbol of disunity in one this country's darkest times. That flag led to the deaths of so many American on both sides of the war. It should be made illegal. You have those that would argue it is a symbol of white supremecy or salvery, and that may be true in some cases, but ultimately, to me, it is a symbol of death and destruction.

I know my flag. Red, White, Blue, 13 stripes and 50 stars.....no other flag matters.

AMEN!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sweetwater Red
05-11-2006, 01:48 PM
You know what I think of when I see the
rebel flag???

Two things...

Toothless rednecks and tatoo'd up skinheads...

Both to me aren't worth the time or energy debating over.