PDA

View Full Version : Mexia

Old Cardinal
07-09-2003, 08:33 PM
I have only seen Mexia play twice-- Bridge City clobbered them in the Playoffs(2001) and again last season Jasper clobbered them(2002). With an enrollment of only 584 its a little hard to control your destiny in Division I, postseason. I have a lot of respect for Mexia, they play a very good game. No hiding holds, mouthing, being cocky-they come to play as well as they are capable. Their fans are just great also.... Mexia swept their District 7-0. Remember they won 9 games, including a win over upstart Fairfield who did well in Division II. Mexia, comes to play: they have size and average speed, a good program and give 100% on Friday nights. I look for them to win their District again this season.

Matthew328
07-10-2003, 12:30 PM
Mexia is always tough....they are getting shafted in a way having to play in D1 with an enrollment of less than 600...I still don't think they'll be able to take Fairfield this season...Fairfield has too much coming back from a playoff tested squad..

Old Cardinal
07-10-2003, 01:17 PM
You may be right Matt, we will just have to see...Fairfield has a pretty good Coach and those are the only two teams in my opinion with an ongoing program!

Blackcat03
07-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Old Card thank you, and Matt, you are right, we do get shafted by going D1, if Mexia woulda been in D2 last year I guarauntee that we would have gone as far, if not farther than Fairfield last year. I think Mexia will repeat as District Champs again too Old Card, thanx for your respect. But it only counts on the field and not here, so if yall wanna see a good game go to the Mexia vs. Fairfield game. That will decide who wins District. Good luck to the Cats, I will always have yall's back! I'll be there to cheer yall on! Keep doing what yall are doing and good things will come!

zeke
07-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Fairfield has a very talented bunch of seniors returning in 2003. Offensively, all their skill players return with losses only in their starting line with 4 lineman having to be replaced. Key losses on defense are 2 defensive line positions and 1 inside linebacker spot. Backups and a talented undefeated JV from last year should heal graduation losses.
In the 2002 Regional Final, Fairfield almost gave Bellville a return visit home when on first down from 6 yards out with 90 seconds left in the game, they threw an interception into the back of the end zone. Using their timeouts they got the ball back and drove the length of the field to kick a game tying field goal from the 20 yard line...the try failed and Bellville won the game by 3 points. Bellville went on to beat Marlin and lost to eventual state champ**Bandera** in the semifinal game.
Fairfields passing game progressed during their 2002 playoff games. If they can step up that portion of their offensive game "early-on" this year with their already potent running game, they will be a difficult team to stop by the time the playoffs get going.