PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bonds

Bull19
05-09-2006, 01:27 PM
should he be in the hall of fame?

Bullaholic
05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
It will all hinge on whether or not he gets convicted of illegal substance abuse over the next few years. If he is convicted---his HOF chances go way down. If he becomes elligible before the court proceedings, if any, are completed---I think he makes the HOF.

Adidas410s
05-09-2006, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
It will all hinge on whether or not he gets convicted of illegal substance abuse over the next few years. If he is convicted---his HOF chances go way down. If he becomes elligible before the court proceedings, if any, are completed---I think he makes the HOF.

The problem with any type of court proceedings (outside of maybe perjury charges) would be to prove that he ever failed a drug test. Obviously, MLB can't do this or he would have been gone a LONG time ago! I doubt that Congress seriously pursues any type of perjury charges because it will look bad upon Congress to put so much time and effort into going after a baseball player for lying about steroid usage (when most people already think he has lied) than for doing things that they SHOULD be doing...like working to improve our budget deficit, the war on terror, immigration issues. Unless some smoking gun shows up in the near future against Bonds...I doubt he is ever convicted of anything.

wedo
05-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Bull19

I think that he gets in only if he didn't use illegal substances!! To me im not sure that he did or not, i can't tell with all the he said she said stuff!! People say look how much weight he has gain over the past years, but he is getting older and most people do gain weight!! I wouldn't put it past him if he used CREATINE or a substance to that sort.

Bullaholic
05-09-2006, 01:44 PM
I think we took two different "roads" to the same place, Adidas.

EricDraven
05-09-2006, 01:49 PM
Understand, I am NOT a Bonds fan. I do not like his demeanor on or off the field and I would bet my last ten dollars he juiced up. But, the fact is he will be in the Hall one day unless convincing evidence is brought forward against him.

Adidas410s
05-09-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think we took two different "roads" to the same place, Adidas.

don't we always? lol....I just doubt that any type of court proceedings will ever take place! Man I shouldn't have had that 3rd glass of Chicken E sweet tea...:thinking:

Txbroadcaster
05-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Not a Bonds fan BUT..if they want to keep him out of the HOF because he "tainted" the game because he cheated, then they need to kick Gaylord Perry OUT of the HOF, because he admitted, and wrote a book about how he threw the spitter during his career, in fact it is now a big joke that he cheated.....And IMO to actually doctor a ball, bat or any other insturment used in the game is worse than taking roids.

eagles_victory
05-09-2006, 02:21 PM
Lets be realistic if your still one of the naive ones out there that thinks he didnt use steriods he did its obvious. But he put up hall of fame numbers before he was on roids. But I would still put him in even though I hope he doesnt set the all time homerun record. I think he should be in just because of what he did at the beg. of his career.

GWOOD
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
I have a different take on the Bond’s issue. For the most part, I don’t believe this is really about Bond’s use of steroids. While there are some personalities with a strong sense of right and wrong who are upset over any kind of impropriety, the American public is usually bent towards grace and mercy when it comes to a person’s faults. We know we are far from perfect so why be harsh and judgmental towards another?

But there are some things that are up in the “unforgivable sins” area that people tend to react strongly to. One of those is an arrogant person who treats other people with disrespect…especially when that other person happens to be you. That is Barry Bonds. When we encounter people like this, it is often the human response to find anything they can to bring them down. We do not want them to succeed. We would rather them fail and fall hard, a just punishment for thinking that they were superior to you and I and for treating us as though we were not valuable human beings. (A common feeling toward bosses, by the way.)

Don’t think that I am defending Barry Bond’s use of steroids. I strongly suspect that he has taken steroids, at least for one year. I think there is a good reason for making the use of steroids illegal. I think steroids have bad consequences and we need to do everything we can to discourage the use of them.

Am I not seeing this clearly or does it seem like the majority of the American public is harsh on the egotistical Barry Bonds but lenient on the fan-friendly, sports media-friendly, lovable duo of Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa? Is there not at least as much evidence that these two used steroids for their record-setting performances as there is for Bonds?

How many people turned a blind-eye to the off-the-field antics of Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle, very self-centered individuals who both had a skill in treating most people, particularly sports writers, like they were their best friends and valuable human beings? And when the word “gambling” comes up with these two, nobody wants to talk about it. But with Pete Rose…it is “how dare that arrogant _______ bet on baseball.”

Now, I’m not saying that Ruth and Mantle bet on baseball. There is no evidence of that. They both were known to gamble away a lot of money while they were baseball players. I’m just saying that if they (sportwriters, League presidents) went after the lovable, friendly personalities of Ruth and Mantle the way they went after the cocky and egotistical Rose it’s likely that they may have stumbled onto something as well.

I think that the big reason this has become such a major issue is because most people just don't like Bonds--especially the sports media. Many do not want to see him succeed. This scenario is like the people I encounter who want to see someone they don't like suffer the maximum penalty for a particular fault or mistake but will offer excuses for the friendly, out-going person whom they like and who has just committed a similar offence.

Holy Cow—I’ve nearly written a book. Off of my soapbox and back to the original question: Bonds in the Hall of Fame?

Absolutely, with a 100% vote on the first try. Just my opinion.

Adidas410s
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
great post GWood...great work as always!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Now take a few deep breathes!!! :thumbsup:

PHS Wildcats
05-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Not a Bonds fan BUT..if they want to keep him out of the HOF because he "tainted" the game because he cheated, then they need to kick Gaylord Perry OUT of the HOF, because he admitted, and wrote a book about how he threw the spitter during his career, in fact it is now a big joke that he cheated.....And IMO to actually doctor a ball, bat or any other insturment used in the game is worse than taking roids.

I'm not a bonds fan and would care less if he got the record or not, but please explain why it's obvious that he was on the juice.:thinking:

GWOOD
05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
great post GWood...great work as always!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: Now take a few deep breathes!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks! I feel better now!
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-002.gif

htowntransplant
05-09-2006, 08:07 PM
well its tough to believe bonds bc of the history he has of being a hothead. speaking of hothead, ill bet his head felt hot in the batting cage after taking one to the noggin a few days back. the questiion is: how long has bonds been unknowingly taking roids? well before he broke mcgwires record, its a toss up whether or not he makes the HOF.

Cameron Crazy
05-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I had a thread just like this about ummm:thinking: 1 week ago...No he shouldnt be in the HALL OF FAME!:devil:

Txbroadcaster
05-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by PHS Wildcats
I'm not a bonds fan and would care less if he got the record or not, but please explain why it's obvious that he was on the juice.:thinking:

Where did I say it was obvious he was on roids?

neck_06
05-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Bull19

YES

pirate44
05-10-2006, 07:44 AM
lets suppose he HAS been on steroids knowingly. i believe his stats wouldnt be the same if he played clean, but they would be hall of fame worthy. that being said, cheating is cheating and shouldnt be rewarded

neck_06
05-10-2006, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
lets suppose he HAS been on steroids knowingly. i believe his stats wouldnt be the same if he played clean, but they would be hall of fame worthy. that being said, cheating is cheating and shouldnt be rewarded

if he gets caught, then no, he doesn't need to be in the Hall, but if he is clean (which he is until proven guilty) then he should get in without a doubt.

AggieJohn
05-10-2006, 08:22 AM
this is like asking if pete rose should be in the hall of fame, it just would take too long to talk about

District303aPastPlayer
05-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
this is like asking if pete rose should be in the hall of fame, it just would take too long to talk about

pete rose should be in the hall though.