PDA

View Full Version : Strongest and Weakest Region in 2006 Football

Milk That Cow
05-08-2006, 11:43 PM
Strongest - I think it's Region 3 Hands Down...

That Region is Loaded Again..

Weakest - BY FAR, it's Region 4,

and people wonder why Cuero always goes so deep...

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/2006align/pdf/3A_fb_bsktb.pdf

schu1213
05-09-2006, 12:33 AM
Cuero would go deep no matter what region they were in. I do agree though that region 4 is the weakest region,but that does not mean that cuero advances deep just because of the weak region.

big daddy russ
05-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Weakest - BY FAR, it's Region 4,

and people wonder why Cuero always goes so deep...

By every year I assume you mean the last two?

Schu's right. Cuero would go deep in any region. And remember, R4 wasn't the weakest two years ago when Cuero had their first dance at state. Sinton was still very tough and Wimberley was just hitting their stride. West Columbia, Wharton, and all the teams out of the SE Texas Gulf Coast were tough, and Liberty Hill and Port Isabel were two of the best Division 2 squads in the state.

The Region got considerably weaker last year, and was hit even harder with the realignment. They lost Liberty Hill, that entire West Columbia district, and a few others. 39 teams in the region in '06 compared to 53 in R3.

It just depends on the year. R4 will be the weakest in '06, but still boasts one of the two most talented teams in the state, at least on paper, and another that's neck-and-neck with the Gobblers.

Toughest: R3
2nd: R2
3rd: R1
4th: R4

crabman
05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Just a little fact. Cuero has played in the state semi-finals twelve times since 1970 and beat Region 3 ten of those times. I wouldn't say Region 4 is weak over a period of time.

That being said, this year will be weak.

neck_94
05-09-2006, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

The Region got considerably weaker last year, and was hit even harder with the realignment. They lost Liberty Hill, that entire West Columbia district, and a few others. 39 teams in the region in '06 compared to 53 in R3.

yup, still dont know how those dopes at the UIL came up with that one...
there will be a couple of reg 3 districts that will have more teams NOT make the playoffs than most every reg 4 team has in their district -- total. I know this is re-hashing a previous thread...but 2 - 4 team districts WHAT A JOKE

JimmyIsaac
05-09-2006, 03:02 PM
How can the toughest region not be Region II? The last three Div. II state titles have come from Atlanta, Gilmer and Tatum. Gilmer is the undisputed preseason No. 1 for 2006. Few from the other regions have found any way to stop Region II's speed.

Milk That Cow
05-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Crabman,

The Region 3 Semi-Finalist is so beat up going through their bracket and Cuero is fresh going through Region 4, so it's obvious why they have a winning record against Region 3...

gobblerfan02
05-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Crabman,

The Region 3 Semi-Finalist is so beat up going through their bracket and Cuero is fresh going through Region 4, so it's obvious why they have a winning record against Region 3...

Excuses are like ***holes, everyone's got one and they ALL stink!

Adidas410s
05-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by JimmyIsaac
How can the toughest region not be Region II? The last three Div. II state titles have come from Atlanta, Gilmer and Tatum. Gilmer is the undisputed preseason No. 1 for 2006. Few from the other regions have found any way to stop Region II's speed.

Region 2 can't be the toughest region. They have no depth in their region at all. Every year they have 1-3 very good teams...and then a bunch of mediocore teams. Other than 1 playoff matchup, you don't see a lot of good region 2 playoff games because they don't have a lot of top notch teams. This is the same point that people are making with Cuero...yeah they may be a top team but when everybody else in the region isn't...then you can't say the region is tough just because they have 1 elite team.

This would be like saying "well how can you not say the Big 12 was the toughest conference in the country last year? You had Texas winning the national title. " K...do you see how your statement went from equating the results of 1 team and applying to the entire region? You can't do that.

As far as the depth of a region and which one is the hardest to get through...I think they rank like this:

Region 3
Region 1
Region 2
Region 4

With teams like Wylie, Sweetwater, Snyder, Canyon, Decatur, Gainesville (though they should be down in 2006), Monhans, Iowa Park (always seems to win a few games every year), and Graham (watch out for McCoy's bunch...looks like the air assault that got his oldest son a ride to Texas is now ready to go for 2006). You can also throw in Burkburnett and Bridgeport as teams with a chance to effect the outcome of this region....then you have to put Region 1 as the 2nd toughest region because of the depth that it will bring to the table.

lostaussie
05-09-2006, 05:18 PM
i agree with adidas. region 2 more often than not has the stongest team but very rarely do they have depth. i would say for the most part region 3 is the strongest year in and year out. regions 1 and 2 somewhat of a tie although i think 1 is stronger top to bottom. last but not least imo is cuero, i mean region 4. this is certainly not the case every year but it has seemed that way for the last few years.

Chris Hart
05-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Region 4 has had in the last 5 years(off the top of my head)

2 state champions
4 state finalists
that's 6 state game appearances out of a possible 10. The overall depth might not be as deep, but the big boys have whipped the 'tough Reg 3' big boys pretty consistently over the past 5 years. And, don't give me this reg 3 is beat up by the semis stuff, I've watched both regions in the playoffs and some reg 3 regular season as well, and I'd say there is alot more hard hittin in Reg IV.

Bull Butter
05-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Milk Cow should have titled this thread "I want to throw out some flame bait to S. Texas".

Specklebelly
05-09-2006, 06:44 PM
People who make the argument of "Region 4 isn't weak, look at all of the state championships they have" don't know what they are talking about.

I live in that area just west of Houston where the Region 3 and Region 4 line is drawn in the sand every two years. We (Rice Consolidated) have bounced back and forth between the regions over the years. I can tell you that I know numerous coaches in this area and EVERY SINGLE ONE of them will tell you that they hope to see their school in Region 4 when the realignment figures come out.

The cream of Region 4 is every bit as good as the cream out of the other three regions. There is no disputing that. Those top teams have a luxury in Region 4 though that other regions do not have. The fact is that when you play in Region 4, you will have at least one and sometimes two games in your playoff run that might as well be a bye for a top notch team. Those games let teams get healthy and stay fresh. That makes a huge difference in a six week, pressure packed run at a title.

Region 3 teams have trouble winning state titles for the same reason SEC football teams rarely win national titles. The SEC is consistantly the top conference in college football just as Region 3 is consistantly the top region in AAA football. The weekly grind of playing a tough, top notch opponent week after week takes its toll both mentally and physically. You can have an off week in you second or third week in the playoffs in Region 4 and still win. Having a sub-par game in the same week in Region 3 always sends you to basketball practice the following Monday.

Milk That Cow
05-09-2006, 07:49 PM
Whatever Specklebelly Said...

Is Exactly The Point...

Cuero and Sinton are Fine Football Programs with a Great Tradition...

But, if they were in Region 3 all these years, they would be 'just another winning program"...

Chris Hart
05-09-2006, 08:49 PM
And that's also why Liberty Hill beat Hutto the Reg III representative in the state championship, but couldn't get out of Reg IV:doh:

SintonFan_inAustin
05-09-2006, 11:07 PM
does it matter whos the strongest, its not like all the teams of each region face each other in the playoffs. Wait a minute this could be settle by playing right away Region 1 vs Region 2 playoff teams and Region 3 vs Region 4 Teams and after its all said and done it be Region 2 team vs a Region 4 Team :) and most likely Region 2 champion well maybe one day it be like this

Maroon87
05-10-2006, 01:25 AM
I hate threads like this. If you ask me Cuero's track record is beyond reproach, regardless of region.

neck_94
05-10-2006, 07:55 AM
the recurring theme here is CUERO, CUERO, CUERO...

To all the people swinging on cuero's nuts... step back and look at the region.
Especially next years alignment, come on... 2-4 team districts,
5-5 team districts and
1-6 team district

vs. regions 3
1-5 team district
4-6 team district
3-8 team district

the point I am making there is going to be a relatively easier ride out of that region for a couple of teams, just like all the years before...

my take on region 4.

after saying that, I sure wish we were gonna be in it for the next two years...I still dont get it UIL :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
05-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by neck_94

To all the people swinging on cuero's nuts... step back and look at the region.
Especially next years alignment, come on... 2-4 team districts,
5-5 team districts and
1-6 team district

vs. regions 3
1-5 team district
4-6 team district
3-8 team district

the point I am making there is going to be a relatively easier ride out of that region for a couple of teams, just like all the years before...

my take on region 4.

after saying that, I sure wish we were gonna be in it for the next two years...I still dont get it UIL :thinking:

remember what region you were in the past 2 years... and yeah... how many times did you make the state championship...

pirate4state
05-10-2006, 09:23 AM
To all the people swinging on cuero's nuts... http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hysterical.gif

That is just FUNNY!!! :evillaugh

neck_94
05-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
remember what region you were in the past 2 years... and yeah... how many times did you make the state championship...

my point exactly...

same team getting out of the region...weak

and believe me I want to be in region 4, especially in the other sports (like track)

District303aPastPlayer
05-10-2006, 09:59 AM
my point exactly...

same team getting out of the region...weak

and believe me I want to be in region 4, especially in the other sports (like track)

if the region is so easy to get through, why didnt your team make it?

neck_94
05-10-2006, 10:04 AM
because we lost to the 2 teams that made it out of the region... unlike yours

come on

27 team is region 3 WONT make the playoffs compared to 15 in reg 4

guess where i want to be...

crabman
05-10-2006, 10:29 AM

You don't think Cuero was beat up on their state final run when they beat West Columbia, Wimberly, Sinton, and Palestine? That is about as tough a path as you could possibly take.

pancho villa
05-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I was a lot sadder when we moved to reg. III from IV, than going from our 6 team district to a 8 team district.

big daddy russ
05-10-2006, 10:42 AM
because we lost to the 2 teams that made it out of the region... unlike yours...
During their runs, they went to the state final once, lost to Burnet twice in the Regional Final, and lost in the Regional Final to Cuero before bowing out early last year. Sinton hasn't exactly been a pushover.

Sinton's strongest team (and quite possibly the strongest team to come out of the region in the past six years) was the 2001 squad... and that team had more problems with a couple of teams in R4 than it did with the R3 rep at state. They waxed a solid Bridge City squad, 38-0. Granted, one of those R4 teams was Bellville, but when the Regions are even R4 more than holds its own at the 3A level and below. In the bigger schools, there's a disparity but in the smaller ones, not so much.

I'll agree with you that R4 is way down this year, but if you compare regions on a year-to-year basis when they have the similar numbers of teams (yes, that means when some SE or CenTex teams are in R4), it's not that big of a disparity between R3 and R4. As a matter of fact, R4's been TOUGHER than R3 over the course of the past six years. With or without Cuero making it through every time.

EDIT: My bad... meant to say R4 was stronger than R3 over the course of the past six years.

neck_94
05-10-2006, 10:48 AM
well said

Specklebelly
05-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
And that's also why Liberty Hill beat Hutto the Reg III representative in the state championship, but couldn't get out of Reg IV:doh:

You obviously missed the part of my post that says, "The cream of Region 4 is every bit as good as the cream out of the other three regions." Liberty Hill was the 2nd best team in Region 4, or "the cream" of the crop. By the way, what region is Liberty Hill in now?

hutex04
05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Liberty Hill is in region 3 now. Hutto had the hardest path to the championship. Beat RIce, Marlin, Bridge city, Cameron,Cuero

WylieGrad2003
05-10-2006, 05:25 PM

To all the people swinging on cuero's nuts...

We don't swing on Cuero's nuts, we just kick them in the nuts...Ask them how they felt after losing to us in the State Championship...

Old Green
05-10-2006, 05:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by neck_94
[B]the recurring theme here is CUERO, CUERO, CUERO...

To all the people swinging on cuero's nuts...

They saved you a spot. Better latch on:devil: :D
J/K

Good topic:)

WylieGrad2003
05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
lol

gobblerfan02
05-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by WylieGrad2003
We don't swing on Cuero's nuts, we just kick them in the nuts...Ask them how they felt after losing to us in the State Championship...

Alright, you might upset some of the crazy posters on here!!!

Anyways, yes, with the next realignment Region 4 will be down quite a bit, but you can't justify our region being "weaker" year in and year out, especially just going by how many teams are in your region's districts...that just tells us that more teams are in your region, not more "quality" teams. And just because Cuero has made it out of the region the past two seasons also doesn't mean that this region is weak!

Cameron Crazy
05-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Region 1 is ok..not to great though..

BeastoftheEast
05-10-2006, 08:44 PM
I know that the Northeast corner of Texas is some tough 3A ball. Atlanta, Gilmer, and Tatum in the last 3 years. That's tough to argue against. I realize Cuero is good but put them up in Northeast Texas and they won't be near as dominant.

RMAC
05-10-2006, 10:50 PM
I think people are missing the point of this. I'm not going to say who's the strongest and who's the weakest, I'm just going to give an idea for all of ya'll out there to think about. Take the top 10-12-or even 15 teams from each region and have them play a round robin w/ the other 3 region's teams of the same number. Once all of this is over, which region do you think will have the most wins?? I know Cuero might win all 3 of theirs, and I'm sure Sinton and some other schools will get a few W's, but when it's all said and done, top to bottom, Region 4 is no way the toughest region; all this makes perfect sense to me anyways . . .:rolleyes:

gobblerfan02
05-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I think people are missing the point of this. I'm not going to say who's the strongest and who's the weakest, I'm just going to give an idea for all of ya'll out there to think about. Take the top 10-12-or even 15 teams from each region and have them play a round robin w/ the other 3 region's teams of the same number. Once all of this is over, which region do you think will have the most wins?? I know Cuero might win all 3 of theirs, and I'm sure Sinton and some other schools will get a few W's, but when it's all said and done, top to bottom, Region 4 is no way the toughest region; all this makes perfect sense to me anyways . . .:rolleyes:

And are you talking about after realignment (next season), because if so, then I'd agree! If you were talking about last season! Well:
Cuero
Wimberley
Liberty Hill
Sinton
Columbia

I would say that these five teams would each have at least 2 wins each going by your standards, if not winning all 3 games! Wharton might even pull out 2 more wins, and Ingleside, Rice, and Port Isabel might do the same, but I guess WE WILL NEVER KNOW!

big daddy russ
05-11-2006, 02:50 AM
I'm just saying you bank on the percentages. How do you realistically compare a region with 39 teams to a region with 36% more teams? If you want to look at the top 15 teams in R4, you're almost in the bottom half of the region. If you want to compare the top 15% of the teams in R4, that's a different story altogether.

Like I said before, R3 is definitely the strongest this year, as it was last year. But two and three years ago, R3 may have actually been the WEAKEST region in the state.

BeastoftheEast
05-11-2006, 06:50 AM
How many state champions have come out of Region 3 in the last 4 years? I can't think of any. I would have to say Region 3 is a bunch of average teams.

RMAC
05-11-2006, 11:23 AM
But you also have to take into account whoever gave the example of Region 3 being like the SEC. Once it comes time for the really big games, some teams just can't handle having to play ranked teams for 4+ weeks straight.

big daddy russ
05-11-2006, 11:28 AM
But you also have to take into account whoever gave the example of Region 3 being like the SEC. Once it comes time for the really big games, some teams just can't handle having to play ranked teams for 4+ weeks straight.
But the SEC tends to do very well in the postseason. It's their conference games that give them fits.

wedo
05-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
But the SEC tends to do very well in the postseason. It's their conference games that give them fits.

R3 and R2 have the best teams in 3a and 4a classifications without a doubt!!!!

rholl
05-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Not in 3a anymore but looking back at time from an Everman perspective I'd say Region 2 was the hardest....but then again....the 2 yrs Everman got knocked out it was by Region 1 team...thanks Wylie!!!!!!!

JimmyIsaac
05-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Region 2 is rarely dominant in Div. 1. Most of the powers in this area are small schools like Tatum and Daingerfield (both now in 2A), Atlanta and Gilmer, which stays in Div. II because Gladewater has about four more students. I think Gilmer is the hands-down preseason No. 1 team.

Sweetwater Red
05-11-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Region 1 is ok..not to great though..

Are you kidding me? Region I is a joke.
Only like 32 total teams and only two
"real" districts. That being 7-3A and 8-3A.

WTF-82
05-11-2006, 02:46 PM
GOTTA LOVE ALL THIS FOOTBALL TALK.

mustang04
05-11-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Are you kidding me? Region I is a joke.
Only like 32 total teams and only two
"real" districts. That being 7-3A and 8-3A.

i have to agree....but, usually year in and year out, i'd put sweetwater and wylie against any other team in the state....im not saying they'd win, they might or might not, so dont start bashing everyone, im just stating that sweetwater and wylie's winning football traditions cant be ignored.....and besides, i think if sweetwater and wylie played alot of the east texas teams for pre-district and district...it would make them way better

but 2 teams football cant speak for the whole region, cuz region 1 is very weak once u go below the top teams

Cameron Crazy
05-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Region 1 toughest

lostaussie
05-11-2006, 08:07 PM
Region 1 toughest you crazy. take say, your best 10 teams. not who has the most state championships. who has the the toughest road to a regional championship. i gotta believe that is region 3 nearly every year. doesn't matter, it is just a conversation topic. i still believe for the most part region 2 has the best team most years. they are just not in the hardest region.

Cameron Crazy
05-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Aussie calm down i was joking~

lostaussie
05-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Aussie calm down i was joking~ i'm not upset at all. i think this is a fun topic. i just don't want people getting their feelings hurt because someone else dosen't think their region is the best. there are teams in every region capable of winning it all. just because 4 beats 3 in the semi-finals (or vice-versa) does not make them overall a better region for that given year. it is all cyclical. every body gets their turn in the bucket.

STANG RED
05-11-2006, 08:37 PM
It doesnt take a very good team to make the playoffs in region 1. But it takes a very good team to get passed the 3rd round in the playoffs. The only good programs I can think of off hand are Sweetwater, Wylie, Snyder, Canyon, Monahans, and maybe Midland Greenwood,Lubbock Cooper, & Breckinridge. I'm sure I'm missing a couple more, but I cant think of any more off hand. Clyde has a great young RB and may jump up do something next year, and maybe Andrews will make a comeback now that they have dropped to 3A. Who am I forgetting?