PDA

View Full Version : CC Moody vs Burbank HS/MacArthur HS

District303aPastPlayer
05-08-2006, 11:03 PM
So appearantly SA Burbank had 4 Mexican (from Mexico) kids enroll around january, and they played baseball... well, turns out the 4 Mexican kids played professional baseball in Mexico. In turn, they have to forfeit every game played (i believe) that the 4 kids played in, which in turn, makes it Mac taking Burbanks place against CC Moody... talk about a sticky situation

SintonFan
05-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
So appearantly SA Burbank had 4 Mexican (from Mexico) kids enroll around january, and they played baseball... well, turns out the 4 Mexican kids played professional baseball in Mexico. In turn, they have to forfeit every game played (i believe) that the 4 kids played in, which in turn, makes it Mac taking Burbanks place against CC Moody... talk about a sticky situation
Clarify please... Is Moody playing SA Mac then/now? Why have I missed this in the paper?:confused:
lol
cool SoPark saying... lol

District303aPastPlayer
05-08-2006, 11:06 PM
They are playing Mac now... and it was on KRIS-TV 6 (NBC)

SintonFan
05-08-2006, 11:09 PM
So that will be their oponent this next week?
What is shocking is that Burbank was playing 4 Mexican professionals as High School Kids?:eek: That SHOULD be national news!:eek: :eek:

LH Panther Mom
05-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Okay, now I've read elsewhere that a decision was to be made today by 2:00 by the UIL? :confused: :confused:

OnceABucJr
05-09-2006, 09:23 PM
I thought it was Gregory Portland that was waiting to see what SAISD was going to do about this??????

Buccaneer
05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
It is GP and they will play Burbank!

District303aPastPlayer
05-10-2006, 03:06 AM
i goofed up bad.

Gobbler Fan
05-10-2006, 05:22 AM
Eligibility upheld for 4 Mexican baseball players at Burbank

Web Posted: 05/10/2006 12:00 AM CDT

Dan McCarney
Express-News Staff Writer

The eligibility of four Mexican baseball players who transferred to Burbank in January was upheld by a split vote Tuesday following a five-hour meeting of the District 29-4A executive committee.

The committee — comprised of principals from Brackenridge, Burbank, Edison, Fox Tech, Sam Houston, Kennedy, Lanier and Memorial high schools — emerged from executive session at the Alamo Convocation Center at 7:05 p.m. for a public vote.

In front of a small gathering of media, the committee voted 4-2 to uphold the players' eligibility.

Voting in favor were Nancy York of Fox Tech, Linda Marsh of Brackenridge, Richard Solis of Lanier and George Colon of Memorial. Voting against were Melonie Hammond of Sam Houston and Charlie Muñoz of Edison.

As principal of the school in question, Burbank's Andrew Rodriguez was not allowed to vote. As the district chairman, Owen Kelly of Kennedy would have voted only in case of a tie.

All except Kelly left without speaking to the media. Efforts to reach Hammond and Muñoz on Tuesday night were unsuccessful.

Kelly said he wouldn't comment on why a split vote was reached.

"I really can't answer for them," Kelly said. "You would have to speak to them."

Though San Antonio Independent School District athletic director Gil Garza declined to divulge any details, he did characterize the meeting as contentious.

"There was a lot of tension in the room," Garza said. "They knew this was going to be scrutinized. No matter what we did, we knew there are going to be people who say we did the right thing and people who say we did the wrong thing."

The meeting culminated an official probe requested by the University Interscholastic League, the state's governing body for public high school athletics, after it received an anonymous letter alleging:

The four players, all of whom are from Monclova, Mexico, were in violation of UIL residency rules.

They were recruited by Burbank coach Rudy Vera.

At least one has played professionally in Mexico.

Garza headed the investigation. Though the UIL has the authority to overturn Tuesday's vote, it almost always defers to local decisions.

Barring such a veto, Burbank will play Gregory-Portland on Friday in Victoria in the second round of the Class 4A playoffs.

Burbank earned a first-round bye after winning its fourth-consecutive district championship.

Gregory-Portland coach Fred Flores said he was concerned by the details of Tuesday's meeting.

"If a group of professionals got together and decided this was a good thing, we have to abide by it," Flores said. "We'll be ready to play. But I wouldn't be truthful if I said I didn't have any concerns.

"The fact that it took five hours, with two principals voting against, doesn't sound like a good thing. This doesn't happen every day."

Burbank's Vera didn't immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

The four players — juniors Guillermo De La Cerda, Said Lozano and Rudy De La Fuente and sophomore Luis Rodriguez — have had key roles at Burbank since enrolling Jan. 5.

Burbank officials have maintained they are living together with their parents in a small apartment near the school. Two attendance auditors who made at least three random visits to the apartment verified the players are living with their parents.

Garza said that during the investigation he interviewed the players, their parents, Vera and Gilbert Salas, coach of an off-season team comprised largely of Burbank players.

Ultimately, Kelly said, there was not enough evidence to prove any UIL rules were violated.

"Rumors are not a reason to start an investigation," Kelly said. "I think it's important that we separate the unsubstantiated from credible evidence, and I think the committee did a good job of that."

Vera last week told the San Antonio Express-News he never had seen the four Mexican players before they arrived at Burbank in January.

He later said he saw them play in December in Eagle Pass for the off-season team organized and coached by Salas. Salas told the Express-News he invited the four players to play.

Salas' son, Alejandro, is a freshman starter for Burbank. Vera and Salas were questioned Tuesday by the committee, Garza said.

pirate44
05-10-2006, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
So that will be their oponent this next week?
What is shocking is that Burbank was playing 4 Mexican professionals as High School Kids?:eek: That SHOULD be national news!:eek: :eek:
the national media wouldn't cover a story like this. especially in the climate of recent events

pirate44
05-10-2006, 08:12 AM
just heard, the players in question are "Eligible" to play

SintonFan
05-10-2006, 11:51 AM
Vera last week told the San Antonio Express-News he never had seen the four Mexican players before they arrived at Burbank in January.
He later said he saw them play in December in Eagle Pass for the off-season team organized and coached by Salas. Salas told the Express-News he invited the four players to play.
Does this sound right? Is this kind of recruiting ok today?
I agree p44, in light of recent events this is being swept under the rug imo. Stupid national media...

j_dog
05-11-2006, 07:53 PM
For any school that wants to "recruit", mabe they could go to Burbank for lessons? ;) Seems they know how to do it without it being called "recruiting". :eek:

I suspect we have not heard the last of this. "Ultimately, Kelly said, there was not enough evidence to prove any UIL rules were violated." If someone gathers some hard evidence, this decision could well be reversed. And there are some folks who have the motivation to find the evidence.

Fish's mom
05-11-2006, 11:44 PM
This is just wrong...........looks like recuiting to me. Boy, this should be plastered all over the news........:thinking:

pirate4state
05-11-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Fish's mom
This is just wrong...........looks like recuiting to me. Boy, this should be plastered all over the news........:thinking: It has been on the local news channels. Art Mack is loving it :rolleyes: :evillaugh

Jay Tope
05-11-2006, 11:51 PM
District committee voted 5-0 to overturn yesterday's decision after new information was turned in. Burbank will not be in the playoffs.

(from SAsports.com)

Gp83
05-12-2006, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Jay Tope
District committee voted 5-0 to overturn yesterday's decision after new information was turned in. Burbank will not be in the playoffs.

(from SAsports.com)

No kidding?

Gp83
05-12-2006, 06:12 AM
Burbank to forfeit playoff vs. G-P
By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
May 12, 2006

The District 29-4A executive committee on Thursday unanimously denied the eligibility of four Burbank High School baseball players from the same hometown in Mexico, reversing Tuesday's split decision allowing them to play.

The ruling forced the Bulldogs to forfeit all their games and bans the team from postseason competition. Burbank was scheduled to open the playoffs tonight against Gregory-Portland in a one-game Class 4A area matchup at Riverside Stadium in Victoria.

"I tell you what, it's been a crazy week," said Wildcats coach Fred Flores, whose team received a pass into the third round after 29-4A fourth-place finisher Fox Tex declined an invitation to take Burbank's spot.

"We were still trying to make sense of the first ruling and then this comes out," Flores said. "It gives you a sense that the right thing was done."

On Tuesday, the committee voted 4-2 in favor of upholding the eligibility of juniors Guillermo De La Cerda, Rudy De La Fuente, Said Lozano and sophomore Luis Rodriguez. However, the group received new information Thursday and gathered for an emergency meeting.

Flores said he found out the committee had reconvened around 2:30 p.m. Three hours later, University Interscholastic League athletic coordinator Mark Cousins called Flores about the decision.

"He told me that Burbank had been thrown out of the playoffs and that they gave Fox Tech the opportunity of jumping in there and taking their spot," Flores said. "After about an hour Cousins he called to say (Fox Tech coach John Gallardo) didn't think it was wise, so they bowed out."

That means G-P automatically advances to the third round against either 31-4A champion Robstown or S.A. Kennedy. The Cotton Pickers and Rockets begin a best-of-3 series tonight in San Antonio.

G-P now must endure a stretch of 11 days without a game. Considering 31-4A teams went 10 days without playing during the regular season, Flores said the Wildcats are handling the situation well.

"We don't get to play, but we've been through this thing before," he said. "We had an awesome week of practice and were ready to play Burbank. Regardless of the circumstances, we have to get ready.

"The kids are pumped up and excited. They should be proud to be in the third round. I know they deserve it."

Contact Javier Becerra at 886-3734 or HYPERLINK mailto:becerraj@caller.com becerraj@caller.com