PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Bond Election in Breckenridge

Adidas410s
05-08-2006, 10:16 AM
School bond divides Breckenridge
Some criticize proposed multipurpose facility

By Sidney Levesque / levesques@reporternews.com
May 8, 2006

Breckenridge voters are faced with an $8.64 million bond election to fund a multipurpose athletic/fine arts facility school officials say is needed to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.

They say it would cost too much to make the present varsity gym, built in 1970, accessible to the handicapped.

But resident Tommy Wimberley thinks the school district, with an elementary rated academically unacceptable by the state, should be focused on classroom instruction and getting rid of portable buildings.

He shared his opposition by spray painting in big red letters various signs he placed on property he owns around town

One sign reads: ''Vote no: May 13 school bond. Taj Mahal gym, ghetto elementary schools. Less athletics, better academics.''

''I want to get the voters really stirred up and have a large turnout,'' Wimberley said. ''If a majority wants this, then I'm dead in the water. But I don't know what we're going to do about elementary schools.''

Breckenridge American columnist Carla McKeown weighed in on the issue in a recent article that said that by her measurements, less than 3.6 percent of the new facility would actually be used for fine arts classrooms

Connie Martin, Breckenridge schools superintendent, said that figure is incorrect because the gym also would be used for physical education and two classrooms would be used for vocational programs.

According to a bond brochure, the facility includes two competition size gyms; spectator seating for 1,500 and other seating for 400; and a community room for school and outside groups.

''They played this up as everything in the world, but it really is an athletic facility,'' Wimberley said.

Martin said it's ironic some of the same people who oppose the bond election because it doesn't include schools also opposed a previous bond election that did include schools.

The district's last bond election was in 2002. It was prompted by a citizens task force that found campuses in ''deplorable'' condition, according to Reporter-News archives.

But the $11 million bond issue to build two elementary schools and a high school gym and band hall was defeated 906-649.

Wimberley, who said he served on the task force four years ago, said he supported building the new schools. But he opposed the whole bond issue because it included the gym and band hall.

''You kill the good in order to prevent the bad, as far as I'm concerned,'' he said.

He said the different facilities should have been broken out on the ballot into multiple propositions so people could pick and choose what they supported.

Martin said after the 2002 bond election failed, the district did its best with available funds to renovate buildings, landscape and build a classroom addition. But the upgrades needed at the high school gym to make it handicapped accessible would be costly and it needs to be replaced with a modern facility, she said.

The district was reported to the federal Office for Civil Rights by a handicapped person because its facilities were not accessible, according to the district's Web site. The federal agency, which works to ensure equal access to education, has asked the district to make the facilities accessible or they will be shut down.

Wimberley remains unconvinced the bond issue is needed.

''Until we get two new elementary schools, I'm going to keep fighting them tooth and toenail,'' he said.

Martin said the district needs new schools, but must take care of the multipurpose facility now.

''We need both, but with OCR hanging over us, this is our first priority,'' she said.

If the bond issue passes, the tax rate would increase by an estimated 17.21 cents. The taxes on a $32,623 home (the average value for the district) would increase by $30.33 a year.

Early voting will be 8 a.m.-4 p.m. today and Tuesday at the school administration office, 208 N. Miller St., and 6-8 p.m. today at East Elementary, 1310 E. Elm St.

Adidas410s
05-08-2006, 10:20 AM
as a side note...this is probably the biggest athletic and "fine arts" complex in the state.

http://www.shwgroup.com/portfolio/big/sp_birdville1.jpg
http://www.shwsports.com/big/birdville2.jpg
http://www.birdville.k12.tx.us/FAAC/images/FrontViewStadium.jpg

Johnny Utah
05-08-2006, 10:27 AM
Breck needs new facilities. Schools need to pass bond issues, and voters need to pass them. This guy needs to wake up!!! We are not living in the 70's anymore.

zeus63
05-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Breck needs new facilities. Schools need to pass bond issues, and voters need to pass them. This guy needs to wake up!!! We are not living in the 70's anymore.

I don't understand why in the world he opposed the 2002 bond issue. What, it included a band hall and a gym. He should have used a little more reason the first go round and understood that music and athletics are also a vital part to a students success in the classroom.

Adidas410s
05-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by zeus63
I don't understand why in the world he opposed the 2002 bond issue. What, it included a band hall and a gym. He should have used a little more reason the first go round and understood that music and athletics are also a vital part to a students success in the classroom.

The 2002 bond election also ended up costing me a part time job teaching their band as the director left to go to a program that could be funded. Their old band hall is literally in shambles and was a joke to teach students in.

BreckTxLonghorn
05-08-2006, 11:09 AM
I was a senior when the first bond election came through. It was a great plan, with the focus on renovation of our schools, which at the time were horrible (they're still not stellar). They had some athletic purpose, but the main object was to build a brand new school for the K-1, and I believe 2 grade kids, who were over 30 to a room in a man/mobile home type building. As a senior class, we put out ads in the newspaper and told everyone we knew to go out and vote, begging the public to do something good for our schools so that the future would be better. Obviously, people did not want to pay $30 PER YEAR to help out the school, and on a larger level, the city.

Now, Martin has gone more to the athletic venue for two reasons:
1) Our basketball venue is pathetic. Anyone who has seen a game there knows there are much smaller schools with much better facilities. Handicap accessibility is at a bare minimum, the bathrooms are iffy, the locker rooms are quaint at best, and capacity is 25% of most gyms of schools our size. Training facilities haven't been updated in over 30-40 years as well.
2) Since the town wouldn't support the bond for academics, the new athletic facilities would bring in more money in extracurricular activities. Playoff basketball games, football games,tennis tournaments, powerlifting tournaments, and fine arts meets (the fine arts center is being made specifically for band/drama/etc events only, not for athletics) are all examples. This extra cash flow would help upgrade our academic facilities, and possibly/hopefully help teacher pay.

It's not that much money per person, and it brings the town more income and better facilities. I don't live there anymore, but if I did, I'd vote for it. And I'd honestly pay up to $30 PER MONTH (on a college income, no less) if it would help pass this.

If you pray, please pray. If you're superstitious, cross your fingers. But please hope this works out for Breckenridge; they need it.

Phil C
05-08-2006, 11:10 AM
SHOW SOME POLITICAL CORRECTNESS! :mad:

Let the Voters decide!

BreckTxLonghorn
05-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

Let the Voters decide!

Phil, I respect your opinion, but you didn't live through the 2002 bond election. It would have only helped the school district, and it was roughly the same price. Even if you have an expensive house (ex. $240,000--WOW), it's $20/month. Wouldn't you pay that to have the best in academic/athletic facilities?

Adidas410s
05-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
If you pray, please pray. If you're superstitious, cross your fingers. But please hope this works out for Breckenridge; they need it.

Breckenridge is a dying community and I fear that things aren't going to get any better in the near future with the mindset of the remaining people in the community. A fair amount of people have moved to either Albany or Graham because the towns are in much better shape and aren't much further away from where they may work. When I started highschool in 1997, Breckenridge had an enrollment of over 700 kids, one of the biggest 3A's at the time. In less than 10 years, they are now down to 461 and it's likely that you will see them fall to 2A within the next 4 years.

buffpride
05-08-2006, 11:23 AM
What the voters usually see is that their taxes keep going up and they want to try to slow the increases. They DO NOT think about what a facility like this would for the whole community. As a tax payer myself that is the way I use to think, now after some light was shed on what benefits there are, I am a supporter. Althought it is tough to get others to realize what it is the school district is trying to accomplish, those in support of the bond need to be the one's to open peoples minds to what and why this needs to happen.

Just my opinion and good luck Breckenridge!

Johnny Utah
05-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Phil C, give me A BREAK!!! Political Correctness!!! Where have you been man!!! SCHOOLS NEED FUNDING!!!! Get out and vote yourself!!! Come to Breck america and see for yourself!!! You need to get out of the 70's!!!! Better schools bring better staffs, teachers, and in turn bring in more people for better communities, etc., etc., etc... WAKE UP!!!!

Macarthur
05-08-2006, 11:39 AM
I tell ya this is a tough one. I personally love sports, especially high school athletics. I believe they are an important part of a well rounded education.

However, I do believe we have gotten our priorities out of line. When you have to cut band programs and art programs because you don't have the money, then everything needs to be on the table. I know HS football is the scared cow in Texas, but we are in a different world with diminising resources. I don't know what the answer is, but we can't keep building these temples to the football gods and cut fine arts programs, and God forbid, other academic programs and leave athletics untouched.

big daddy russ
05-08-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd imagine the district's going to have to do something to make everything more handicapped accessible. Didn't the Americans with Disabilities Act force that on everyone?

BreckTxLonghorn
05-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I tell ya this is a tough one. I personally love sports, especially high school athletics. I believe they are an important part of a well rounded education.

However, I do believe we have gotten our priorities out of line. When you have to cut band programs and art programs because you don't have the money, then everything needs to be on the table. I know HS football is the scared cow in Texas, but we are in a different world with diminising resources. I don't know what the answer is, but we can't keep building these temples to the football gods and cut fine arts programs, and God forbid, other academic programs and leave athletics untouched.

Here's the thing, though. First, the football program would benefit the least of this, if any. We're not building a new stadium. We're building a new basketball facility, new tennis courts, new workout facilities, and a building dedicated to the Fine Arts programs. The big winners would be Basketball, Tennis, and the Fine Arts. Right now, the band hall is smaller than some high school cafeterias, and conditions are terrible. The new facilities would increase size and quality and give an area for drama to practice if the auditorium was booked. It would be the biggest funding for Fine Arts since the band got new uniforms, and it would exclipse that immensely. What Breckenridge is trying to do is to increase the quality of all extra-curricular activities, making the school more well rounded. 4 years ago the goal was academics; the public disapproved. Now, the administration is trying a different approach in order to save the district.

Adidas is right. Enrollment has done nothing but drop the last 10 years, and there was speculation Breck would be 2a next year. Without proper funding to help programs that would make families WANT to move to Breckenridge, it's inevitable a drop would occur.

AggieJohn
05-08-2006, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Let the Voters decide! chill phil, this is us exercising our 1st amendment rights...

Bandera YaYa
05-08-2006, 01:19 PM
I also think priorities are out of line, when athletics are involved, and I am a huge fan of high school sports. Sounds like they are trying to keep up with the Jones next door!
It's one thing, when your community can afford new glorious facilities, but with the average value of the homes being less than $35,000, and the enrollment dwindling as it has, I wonder?
Can the school budget support the upkeep of such a building?
I have never been in this town, but these are the questions I would have. Is a new gym more important to that community than a new elementary? I wouldn't listen just to the administration here, they can rationalize just about anything.
I mean who wouldn't want to boast of a new athletic complex??
Good Luck to them in deciding what is best.

Macarthur
05-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Here's the thing, though. First, the football program would benefit the least of this, if any. We're not building a new stadium. We're building a new basketball facility, new tennis courts, new workout facilities, and a building dedicated to the Fine Arts programs. The big winners would be Basketball, Tennis, and the Fine Arts. Right now, the band hall is smaller than some high school cafeterias, and conditions are terrible. The new facilities would increase size and quality and give an area for drama to practice if the auditorium was booked. It would be the biggest funding for Fine Arts since the band got new uniforms, and it would exclipse that immensely. What Breckenridge is trying to do is to increase the quality of all extra-curricular activities, making the school more well rounded. 4 years ago the goal was academics; the public disapproved. Now, the administration is trying a different approach in order to save the district.

Adidas is right. Enrollment has done nothing but drop the last 10 years, and there was speculation Breck would be 2a next year. Without proper funding to help programs that would make families WANT to move to Breckenridge, it's inevitable a drop would occur.

I really was making a general statement; not specific to Breck.

The Bond proposal sounds reasonable to me. However, given the condition of the elementary schools, I have a hard time with the priorities. I know you can't do it all at one time.