PDA

View Full Version : Mustang Bowl

Ranger Mom
09-12-2002, 10:31 PM
Just got home from Sweetwater and had to comment on their field. IT IS AWESOME. I had to go down to it and feel for myself. When my son came over to me after the game, he had little black dirt looking things all over the side of his face. I would see that stuff kick up when they ran, what is it??

I am half embarassed for Sweetwater to have to play on our field which is planted in 6 different grasses. But I am ready for a GOOD ballgame!!

vet93
09-13-2002, 08:23 AM
Rangermom...I think that those black things on your sons face are the little rubber beads or pellets that help hold the grass like turf in place and give it a more natural feel. Probably the older the grass becomes the more those beads will work they way down to the base of the turf and not get all over everyone.

Originally posted by Ranger Mom:
Just got home from Sweetwater and had to comment on their field. IT IS AWESOME. I had to go down to it and feel for myself. When my son came over to me after the game, he had little black dirt looking things all over the side of his face. I would see that stuff kick up when they ran, what is it??

I am half embarassed for Sweetwater to have to play on our field which is planted in 6 different grasses. But I am ready for a GOOD ballgame!!

heck
09-13-2002, 09:14 AM
RangerMom...
That is actually ground up tires that looks like a black powder. There will be about 260,000 lbs. on the turf after all is said and done. The field will need a rain on it to help settle the padding in but it aint' bad for a little ole 3-A school.
What did your son think of playing on synthetic turf?

Ranger Mom
09-13-2002, 10:02 AM
Well let me put it this way. They got beat 6-16 but he said it was worth it just to be able to play on that field. One question though....we seemed to be slipping and sliding all over the place. Are there special cleats for playing on that type of surface??

heck
09-13-2002, 02:03 PM
I watched your game but I didn't notice slipping and sliding. I asked about the cleats and the answer was you can use tennis shoes and get good traction. So that came from the top.

I think the field will get better with play, at least that is what I am told. BTW, that was a good game.

TarponR13K
09-15-2002, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by heck:
I watched your game but I didn't notice slipping and sliding. I asked about the cleats and the answer was you can use tennis shoes and get good traction. So that came from the top.

I think the field will get better with play, at least that is what I am told. BTW, that was a good game.

slipping and sliding on turf? usually that only happens much when it's wet. I've never played football on there before but when we marched on PSJA's wet turf and when the turf at state marching was wet in Waco, people were falling but when we played at psja this year, it wasn't wet and it seemed pretty easy to march on. I think maybe they're just not used to the feel of it. It is a bit boucier and some of it is like foot long carpet so just not being used to the footing on that will cause some problems especially since there is no grip.

sinton66
09-15-2002, 02:44 PM
R13, this is a different kind of "turf" they're talking about. This is "Fieldturf". It has the look and "feel" of real grass, but is actually artificial. If you have ever been on the field at Viper Stadium in Victoria, that's the stuff they're talking about.

heck
09-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Just to set the record straight, the turf in Mustang Bowl is Astroplay and not Fieldturf. It has great traction and a lower injury rate than natural grass. The kids like it a lot too! Thanks.