PDA

View Full Version : Question about Burnet

letsgo
01-02-2004, 09:58 PM
We know were Jordan and Stephen are going to end up next year but what about the others on the team that have a chance to go D1. For example Ty Kuhn LB, Cody Warrner WR/DB, Eddie Rollmann OL, and Chris Levins RB I was just wondering if anyine knew who all had contacted them offers they may have gotten or even were you would like to see them end up.

HotDawg89
01-02-2004, 10:05 PM
letsgo:
We know were Jordan and Stephen are going to end up next year but what about the others on the team that have a chance to go D1. For example Ty Kuhn LB, Cody Warrner WR/DB, Eddie Rollmann OL, and Chris Levins RB I was just wondering if anyine knew who all had contacted them offers they may have gotten or even were you would like to see them end up.This is rumor mill info...
Ty is a favorite to go to SMU
Cody was being looked at by several schools, I think ACU was a hot one- his size hurts him in my opinion
Eddie could go SMU, Kansas or Arkansas
Haven't heard anything about Levens...

letsgo
01-02-2004, 10:15 PM
I heard that Rollmann lost his offer from Arkansas not sure if it true but thats what I heard.

HotDawg89
01-02-2004, 10:53 PM
letsgo:
I heard that Rollmann lost his offer from Arkansas not sure if it true but thats what I heard.reeeeely...hmmm that's interesting. There are a couple of kids in line for the spot at SMU that Kuhn may have been offered, but I heard Ty has the grades, and the other two don't.

letsgo
01-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Well i do beleive Ty has the grades bc i heard through the grapevine that some ivy league schools were looking at him.

HotDawg89
01-02-2004, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I heard that too. He is a great student, one of his former teachers has told me that. They are a really nice family- good values. He'd be an asset to any team.

Old Dog
01-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Rumor mill has Ben Rountree being sized up by a couple of smaller schools. Ben never got enough credit to me. He is what I call a "smart" linebacker; just very solid and great fundementals.

BurnetBandRules
01-03-2004, 03:30 AM
letsgo:
Well i do beleive Ty has the grades bc i heard through the grapevine that some ivy league schools were looking at him.Yes, Ty does have the grades. But, there is a difference between somone who challenges themself and one who doesn't. I have had ty in two classes and they were electives. He has taken no challenging courses in his Highschool career. Straight A's r straight A's but if it is only in required classes then there is obviously no challenge. Ty is VERY smart and could do alot better. I have heard that he was hit up by some Ivy league schools and I hope that he can get into one because anyone with a given chance can/may do well.

letsgo
01-03-2004, 07:59 AM
What about Cody Warrner how are his grdes I know he has the tallent but you need both to succeed.

dawgdad
01-03-2004, 07:46 PM
Arkansas gave away the scholarship they had offered to Eddie Rollmann right before the state championship game- believe me they heard about it from Coach Willmann and Coach Shipley! His top three choices are Notre Dame,Purdue and Kansas. Will be visiting starting this month,kind of got a late start because of the playoffs. All together 8 offers,plus.

BHS#1
01-03-2004, 08:49 PM
I was talking with Ty's Mom at one of the games and she said that there were a lot of ivy league schools looking at him but all the others he looked at said he was too small for linebacker.

Old Dog
01-03-2004, 11:35 PM
Am I crazy, or wouldn't Ty be a good candidate for Free Safety. He sures has speed and a nose for the football.

<small>[ January 03, 2004, 10:36 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

dawgdad
01-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Old Dog:
Am I crazy, or wouldn't Ty be a good candidate for Free Safety. He sures has speed and a nose for the football.Ty would be and excellent free safety/db- he has the speed (4.4) to play there and can tackle,obviously.

letsgo
01-04-2004, 11:20 AM
What I dont understand is how there arnt colleges knocking down the door for a group of kids such as Levins who dang near has a 10ypc average and Warner who had 7 ints for the year and Kuhn Defensive MVP for 3a and had 222 tackels. Levins sure is as fast as most college running backs and is also a very explosive back, Codys not the tallest corner in the game but I have seen many short corner at the college level one on the Houston Cougar team he was 5'6 that shorter than Cody. So give these great players a chance.

BrahmaMom
01-04-2004, 11:49 AM
I don't know any of the kids involved, obviously know they are talented, I would just like to comment on the "why isn't someone taking a player for this position or that position?" While these guys are exceptional in 3A ball, there are a lot of 4A and 5A kids competing for the same spot. Only the truly elite of 3A get scholarships to D1 schools, it comes down to getting the best, strongest, fastest for the money. It is a sad, difficult reality for all of us, but especially for kids who have given it their all. I speak as a mom who has been there, not one who is being critical of these fine young men.

20dawgz05
01-04-2004, 03:01 PM
i have no idea but.... someone told me that Warner was lookin at Tech b/c all his family had gone there or summin like that.

Chief Woodman
01-04-2004, 04:57 PM
BrahmaMom:
I don't know any of the kids involved, obviously know they are talented, I would just like to comment on the "why isn't someone taking a player for this position or that position?" While these guys are exceptional in 3A ball, there are a lot of 4A and 5A kids competing for the same spot. Only the truly elite of 3A get scholarships to D1 schools, it comes down to getting the best, strongest, fastest for the money. It is a sad, difficult reality for all of us, but especially for kids who have given it their all. I speak as a mom who has been there, not one who is being critical of these fine young men.Quite true, these kids are competing against 4A and 5A not just 3A. "Size of the barnyard" also has something to do with it. They did real well in 3A, but could they have even started in 5A? If they did would there stats be as good? Granted that those are merely academic questions, but it does hurt players from smaller schools. There are at least 3 other factors working against them.

1. If not offered a scholarship and you really do have the talent (and it is not a figment of your imagination), earn one post high school. I work with a man who went to high school at a six-man team school. NO college would even talk to him. So he paid his own way to TCU through grants. Walked on...eventually earned a full ride once they got to see him every day. Anyone who really does have talent can do the same. It overcomes the academic questions mentioned earlier as well as the next two obstacales.

2. Most students who are "blue chips" got to be so by attending football camps during the summmer. It allows recruiters and coaches to see you and get to know you. Without that edge, many players with talent go unoticed. The guy who picks the ARMY all-star team featuring the best 78 football players in the nation found almost evryone of those players by going to summer camps. He even said so. Further evidence of this....One of the players who was in the game this year, Bobby Tatum from Dunbar HS in Fort Worth is a son of one of my co-workers. He was "Discovered" while at a summer camp a couple of years ago, Thus he made the blue chip list and got a full ride to UT.

3. Some parent market their children so that they can get these scholarships. More than one student athlete owes their scholarship, even if at a small school to the work that their parents put in. Parents get game films make contact and phone calls begging schools to look at their son/daughter. Many times, students who have more talent than those do not get scholarships becuse no one knows about them. These hard working parents are recognizable by the statements.."we have an official visit" or "we recieved a scholarship" insted of "my child has". I am not knocking these parents. When they say "we" they are corrct. Without their hard work there would be no scholarship.
As a side note...my son made 2nd team all-state...and only one school has even contacted him. He never went to a camp, I have never made a call to a college for him, and he attended a 3A school. Was it because he went to a small school? Probably not since the made the Fort Worth all-area team that included 5A-1A schools. So why has he not recieved any other offers? He has the talent, but has not been "Marketed". Good luck to all...and if it means enough....pay your own way to start and walk on, then earn the "ride".

BurnetBandRules
01-05-2004, 12:33 AM
letsgo:
What I dont understand is how there arnt colleges knocking down the door for a group of kids such as Levins who dang near has a 10ypc average and Warner who had 7 ints for the year and Kuhn Defensive MVP for 3a and had 222 tackels. Levins sure is as fast as most college running backs and is also a very explosive back, Codys not the tallest corner in the game but I have seen many short corner at the college level one on the Houston Cougar team he was 5'6 that shorter than Cody. So give these great players a chance.Well, one reason why some of the doors of the kids you listed are still on their hinges is because they may think you are a great football player but they know that there is a minimum GPA that is to be kept up by th student and a few of those you listed aren't really the stongest of students. I think it would be shielding them from a loss of the schools part as well as the students part. Football, in college, can only take you as far as your grades.

zippy
01-05-2004, 12:10 PM
Chief Woodman's post above really hits the nail on the head. Too many HS players out there to recognize. Parents need to take an active role in promoting (marketing) their kids in order for them to be picked up within the radar screen.

Below is a good (FREE) recruiting tool for parents to use to list their kids stats, etc.

HS recruiting page (http://www.athletesadvance.net)

alot of Div.II and Div.III recruiters utilize this site.

dawgdad
01-11-2004, 09:28 PM
"Marketing" your kid can be as simple as sending him to football camps in the summer. We did that with mine and he will play D-1 ball, I guarantee that the other players who are being recruited at Burnet were "marketed" by their parents and so were several from last year.

Jacket2000
01-12-2004, 02:13 AM
letsgo:
What I dont understand is how there arnt colleges knocking down the door for a group of kids such as Levins who dang near has a 10ypc average and Warner who had 7 ints for the year and Kuhn Defensive MVP for 3a and had 222 tackels. Levins sure is as fast as most college running backs and is also a very explosive back, Codys not the tallest corner in the game but I have seen many short corner at the college level one on the Houston Cougar team he was 5'6 that shorter than Cody. So give these great players a chance.Give them a chance? There's a difference between college football and HS football.
College coaches have a set standard that they look for. If a kid isnt as fast or big as what they're looking for at that position, then why would they sign him if they can get exactly what they're looking for?
J2K

next generation
01-12-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm sure Jordan Shipley went to camps for reciever, but did he really have to? I don't think so because he could market hisself in the games and getting the Texas Recieving Records.

dawgdad
01-13-2004, 09:16 PM
next generation:
I'm sure Jordan Shipley went to camps for reciever, but did he really have to? I don't think so because he could market hisself in the games and getting the Texas Recieving Records.We're not talking about the "superstars" here,we are talking about good players that might be over-looked without someone pointing them out to the people who can make a difference in their lives. There are tens of thousands of players playing at the high school level in Texas,let alone the entire nation. It takes a lot of information and time to sort out the less than 1-2% that can play at D-1 level,anything you can do to help is worth it considering the expenses it could save you. College recruiters talk to each other and if not interested in a particular player will often call other coaches that they know to pass on a good player. Some schools say they do not look at Rivals or Superprep and all the other recruitin sites,but others do and if the information is there and accessible the odds are that someone will take interest. Some of these scholarships are worth $30-$40,000 per year, depending on the school. I guess the parent needs to figure out if it is worth the effort, along with input from their kid as to desire to play and ability. And there are also D-2 schools to consider. Free is free !!!!

3afan2K3
01-13-2004, 10:01 PM
dawgdad:

next generation:
I'm sure Jordan Shipley went to camps for reciever, but did he really have to? I don't think so because he could market hisself in the games and getting the Texas Recieving Records.We're not talking about the "superstars" here,we are talking about good players that might be over-looked without someone pointing them out to the people who can make a difference in their lives. There are tens of thousands of players playing at the high school level in Texas,let alone the entire nation. It takes a lot of information and time to sort out the less than 1-2% that can play at D-1 level,anything you can do to help is worth it considering the expenses it could save you. College recruiters talk to each other and if not interested in a particular player will often call other coaches that they know to pass on a good player. Some schools say they do not look at Rivals or Superprep and all the other recruitin sites,but others do and if the information is there and accessible the odds are that someone will take interest. Some of these scholarships are worth $30-$40,000 per year, depending on the school. I guess the parent needs to figure out if it is worth the effort, along with input from their kid as to desire to play and ability. And there are also D-2 schools to consider. Free is free !!!!He's right Jordan Shipley is good, But there are alot better 4A/5A receivers

GreatBigBurnetFan
01-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Come on now, your youth is showing. If there were A LOT of better receivers in 4A and 5A why was little ol' Jordan the LEADING receiver when he was playing with the 4A and 5A in the Army All American game. Your youth fingers just overloaded reality as you were typing. Why don't you just admit that Jordan can compete with any player of ANY classification.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan
He was looked to for special teams runbacks.
He also did a good job there too.

dawgdad
01-13-2004, 10:25 PM
Don't know if they are better or not or how you determined that,but they are good athletes and can play at the college level.

jason
01-13-2004, 10:28 PM
GreatBigBurnetFan:
Come on now, your youth is showing. If there were A LOT of better receivers in 4A and 5A why was little ol' Jordan the LEADING receiver when he was playing with the 4A and 5A in the Army All American game. Your youth fingers just overloaded reality as you were typing. Why don't you just admit that Jordan can compete with any player of ANY classification.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan
He was looked to for special teams runbacks.
He also did a good job there too.i guess we'll see when he plays for UT...if he ever gets on the field...

Old Dog
01-14-2004, 12:11 AM
Do you guys really think that only 4A and 5A breed good players? Do you recall a hick kid from west Texas named Jack Pardee that played 6 man football. He went to A&M, made all-american, on to the NFL and made all-pro, then coached there. Raw talent is where you find it. Of course we know it's more competitive in 4A and 5A.....we're not as stupid as "you" think we are. Just give a little damn credit when it's due.

The recruiters have turned another gem up in Gainesville's DB, McBath. I'd bet most all north Texas fans knew of him but it took the state playoffs before the seekers of talent woke up. 10 to 1 says he'll start in some D1 backfield real soon. The recruiters just go where the rate of return is greater....4A and 5A!!!!!!!!!!1

<small>[ January 13, 2004, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

jason
01-14-2004, 12:21 AM
Old Dog:
Do you guys really think that only 4A and 5A breed good players? Do you recall a hick kid from west Texas named Jack Pardee that played 6 man football. He went to A&M, made all-american, on to the NFL and made all-pro, then coached there. Raw talent is where you find it. Of course we know it's more competitive in 4A and 5A.....we're not as stupid as "you" think we are. Just give a little damn credit when it's due.

The recruiters have turned another gem up in Gainesville's DB, McBath. I'd bet most all north Texas fans knew of him but it took the state playoffs before the seekers of talent woke up. 10 to 1 says he'll start in some D1 backfield real soon. The recruiters just go where the rate of return is greater....4A and 5A!!!!!!!!!!1easy..nobody called u stupid...

Murphy Lee
01-14-2004, 02:28 AM
I know the Burnet fans were a bit overwhelming during the season, but is that any reason to discredit the talent of one of their players? I don't think there is any doubt that Jordan Shipley is one of the best receivers in the state. To do what he did this year with every team focussing on stopping him is amazing. Maybe it wasn't against the best the state had to offer, but it was against the best 3A had to offer. The Gaiesville DB guarnteed he wouldn't catch a pass. The first time they threw to him it was a 50 yard TD. And this was after his KO return for a TD. I think we all agree that Gainesville was a formidable opponent who could probably hold their own in 4A. Shipley can play. That's all there is to it. I still say he's better off going to Tech, though. I think he'll play sooner and more often. Texas has become a running team, and I don't see that changing a whole lot while Young is the QB. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of their 5 receiver commits backs out.

UNFINISHED BUSINESS
01-14-2004, 11:52 PM
Way to sound off GreatBigBurnetFan, anyone who saw that game could see Jordan was a primary reciever. The stats back it up. On the other subject Kuhn Dawgs dad was talking TCU or Rice.

GETBACKCOACH
01-15-2004, 08:53 PM
Murphy,
If you go watch the game film, I finally got to see it, You will see McBath let Shipley catch one ball when he was on him (and he fumbled that one). McBath took the other 1000 yd receiver and he did have one catch in the last minute of the game for six yards. This is why the Gainesville-Burnet video is so impressive to the Colleges now.

Chris Hart
01-15-2004, 09:37 PM
GETBACKCOACH:
Murphy,
If you go watch the game film, I finally got to see it, You will see McBath let Shipley catch one ball when he was on him (and he fumbled that one). McBath took the other 1000 yd receiver and he did have one catch in the last minute of the game for six yards. This is why the Gainesville-Burnet video is so impressive to the Colleges now.McBath was one of the 'two' defenders on Jordan while he made his 50 yd TD catch. McBath is a great player, but even the best ones get burned.

Murphy Lee
01-16-2004, 12:50 AM
I haven't seen the video or who got beat by whom. All I know is that there was a prediction made that Shipley wouldn't catch a pass, and we all know what happened. I was just trying to show how even the best teams in the state underestimate his ability and wind up getting burned.

GETBACKCOACH
01-16-2004, 09:02 AM
McBath was not on Shipley on the 50 yarder. #1 and #2 were. I don't think Gainesville underestimated anything.........I think it was the other way around.

GreatBigBurnetFan
01-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Hey coach,
Before the game, Gainesville folks were telling us that you folks had a number of Div 1 Def. backs, not just one! He was, by your admission, double teamed!

By the way, where was all that speed on the runback?
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

poncho
01-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Coach I was at the game also. Mcbath is a great talent. Its a team sport!! The rush of your defensive line has a lot to do with how well any (DB)is when is comes to pass defense. It took a stiff rush from the defensive line and a double team to slow Jordan and the Bulldogs down. Gainesville's line had the speed to rush the quarterback. :cool:

<small>[ January 16, 2004, 12:26 PM: Message edited by: poncho ]</small>

dawgdad
01-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Point seems to be that, just like the game of football; any player (or team), on any day can beat another. Turnovers will decide the winner in a situation where two teams are evenly matched every time.

dawgdad
01-18-2004, 09:37 AM
Looks like there may be someone (SMU) looking at the Kuhn-dog. Good luck,Ty!!!

jason
01-18-2004, 09:45 AM
dawgdad:
Looks like there may be someone (SMU) looking at the Kuhn-dog. Good luck,Ty!!!just curious...does he have the 'smarts' for a school like SMU ???

Chief Woodman
01-18-2004, 07:40 PM
jason:

dawgdad:
Looks like there may be someone (SMU) looking at the Kuhn-dog. Good luck,Ty!!!just curious...does he have the 'smarts' for a school like SMU ???Not being rude, BUT athletes are admitted using lower accademic standards than other students. Does not take as much brains as one might pretend. This was done because many great athletes could not maitain eligibility or even get into college under the same standards as all other students. Heck, hall of famer Dexter Manley of the Washington Redskins got a college degree,....and he could not even read on the third grade level. That being said, to say an athlete cannot stay academicicly eligible means they are not too bright at all. Does not make them a bad person, but not real smart.

GreatBigBurnetFan
01-18-2004, 10:06 PM
From my understanding, Ty has no problems in the
grades dept. He's a fine young man and a great family, very supportive.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

GreatBigBurnetFan
01-18-2004, 10:18 PM
BTW, Jason,
None of us Burnet folks have ask any questions
or made any insinuations about the young men from Forney and certainly not about Gainesville. Yes, we Burnet people are defensive when some ask about the kids from Burnet's capabilities in the classroom or on the field. Some have questioned the abilities of Jordan on the field or other
young men from Burnet as to their "smarts". We have complemented players from Gainesville and Forney and not said or asked anything negative about any of the youngsters from various other teams. It seems it is just others who want to cast "questions"
about our fine young guys from Burnet. So, If you don't have anything nice to say about the Burnet players, soon to be graduated, just don't say or ask anything, please.
Regards,
GreatBigBurnetFan

dawgdad
01-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Jordan Shipley and Texas Tech? Heard any rumors- they're floating around again!!

jason
01-19-2004, 10:57 PM
dawgdad:
Jordan Shipley and Texas Tech? Heard any rumors- they're floating around again!!he'll play more at tech...wont see the field for two years at UT...IMO

dawgdad
01-21-2004, 08:48 AM
jason:

dawgdad:
Jordan Shipley and Texas Tech? Heard any rumors- they're floating around again!!he'll play more at tech...wont see the field for two years at UT...IMOHe took an official visit last week !

Murphy Lee
01-21-2004, 01:11 PM
I've heard he's a horn and is not taking anymore phone calls or visits. This was decided after an in-home visit by Mack Brown and his visit to UT. He cancelled his visit to Tech. Despite all the speculation, he'll be at Texas afterall.

big daddy russ
01-21-2004, 06:17 PM
Hey guys, it's been a while. As for Shipley, he's a D-I starter. Maybe not as a freshman, but down the road you'll be hearing his name. He reminds me of Jerricho Cotchery over at NC State or Geoff McArthur at Cal. The kid's got outstanding hands, good speed and is great at running his routes (or improvising when the play breaks down) and once he learns his new system he'll be a big, reliable target for Young or Daugherty or whomever's throwing to him. I can't say he'll be a stud on Sundays, but it looks like he has the tools to be a standout on Saturdays.

Also, I saw some people talking about Levens, and my take is that he could make it at a I-AA school. Reminds me a lot of Dereck Farmer of Texas A&M. Strong as an ox and fast as hell, but he just doesn't have that D-I burst that the major schools look for. It wouldn't suprise me, though, to see Levens at a school like Texas State or (get this) Sam Houston State. I don't know who's recruited him, but I know the Bearkats love the passing game and with the skills the boy's learned in that pass-oriented system he would be a great fit up in Huntsville.

By the way, it's good to see everyone again. Happy belated New Year.

dawgdad
01-21-2004, 09:30 PM
Talked to Phil Bennet (SMU) today, he was asked to look at Ty Kuhn by several coaches and teammates. He told me that he had gone back and looked at Ty's game tapes and was very,very impressed with him. They are possibly gonna offer him a scholarship!!! Good luck Ty!!! Go Joppa dogs!!