PDA

View Full Version : Region 1 Baseball Pairings

GWOOD
05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Sometimes that Midland Reporter Telegram does print something helpful:

Class 3A Playoff Pairings:

Canyon (16-13) vs. Littlefield (13-11), Game 1: 7 p.m., Friday, Plainview; Game 2: 1 p.m., Saturday, Plainview; Game 3: (if necessary) 30 minutes following Game 2

Abilene Wylie (18-5), bye

Monahans (16-9) vs. Clyde, Game 1: 5 p.m., Friday, Howard College; Game 2: 11 a.m., Saturday, Howard College; Game 3: (if necessary), 30 minutes following Game 2

Levelland (17-8), bye

Breckenridge (20-2) vs. Pilot Point (11-13), Game 1: 7:30 p.m., Thursday, Weatherford College; Game 2: 7:30 p.m., Friday, Weatherford College; Game 3: (if necessary) 11 a.m., Saturday, Weatherford College

West, bye

Lake Worth (13-11) vs. Hillsboro, Game 1: 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Burleson; Game 2: 7:30 p.m., Friday, Burleson; Game 3: (if necessary) Noon, Saturday, Burleson

Bowie (17-7), bye

Borger (11-15) vs. Lubbock Cooper (15-10-1), Game 1: 5 p.m., Friday, Connor Park, Canyon; Game 2: 30 minutes after Game 1; Game 3: (if necessary) 11 a.m., Saturday, Connor Park

Presidio (16-4), bye

Greenwood (16-10) vs. Snyder (21-10), 7 p.m., Friday, Andrews

Perryton (20-7), bye

Graham (12-14) vs. Sanger (15-11), Game 1: 7:30 p.m., Thursday, Sanger; Game 2: 7:30 p.m., Friday, Graham; Game 3: (if necessary) 2 p.m., Saturday, Sanger

Decatur (21-4), bye

Fort Worth Castleberry (12-14) vs. Glen Rose (17-8), Game 1: 7:30 p.m., Thursday, North Crowley HS; Game 2: 7:30 p.m., Friday, North Crowley HS; Game 3: (if necessary) 1 p.m., Saturday, North Crowley HS

Iowa Park (20-4), bye

Bullaholic
05-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Just for fun, GWood, who do you see as the Region I favs?

Breck, IP, & Decatur?

GWOOD
05-04-2006, 04:48 PM
I really like Iowa Park and Decatur for several reasons. First, they have played some bigger schools. Good competition raises the level of your own performance. Second, they went through district undefeated. That is not easy to do. Especially when you have a state ranked team in your district. Third, they are in the playoffs often. Fourth, they've won a lot of games this year.

After these two, I'm keeping my eye on Wylie. After that first loss to Snyder, they have now won six in a row--beat Snyder twice (actually I think they beat Snyder another time in a tournament) and run ruled everybody else in their district except for one game with Sweetwater. They only won that one 9-2.

Of these three, I've only see Iowa Park play (saw them three times) and I'm impressed with Fulfer and the number of guys in the lineup who can hit.

Steer Fever
05-04-2006, 04:54 PM
I.P. should roll solid bats Breck will win first round but thats abou it you get in a 3 game series then they are done.

VWG
05-04-2006, 05:04 PM
Decatur is my choice. Good pitching and the depth needed to take a 3 game series. Staley has been a 4 year starter for the Eagles.
IP is a good team, but I don't see the pop in the lineup that they have had through the years. Fulfer can hit, Gibson and Rusk can hit... Smoak is an above average hitter, but thats 4 out of 9. Top to bottom you need production to go through the playoffs. They have to pick it up a notch to go deep in the playoffs.... in my opinion.
Everybody has forgotten about Perryton.... who won their district.
Could be the sleeper team.

Breckenridge can definitely win.......... a one game series. Heatley can dominate on the bump, but he is only one pitcher that Breckenridge has that can really shut another team down.
Turner is a quality starter, but doesn't have the presence or ability to shut a good team down. Then after that?

GWOOD
05-04-2006, 05:18 PM
i just noticed that the MRT article has Iowa Park at 20-4. I think they are 19-6! A great record considering 6 games with 4A schools and 1 with a 5A school.

Pmoney
05-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Snyder and Greenwood is the only 1 game series in Region 1...

GWOOD
05-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by VWG

Everybody has forgotten about Perryton.... who won their district.
Could be the sleeper team.

?

I really think Perryton is a year away. They lost 6 or 7 critical seniors from last years team. I know they are reloading this year but I still am guessing that next year they will be really tough.

injuredinmelee
05-04-2006, 07:42 PM
I think it is a Wylie/IP regional final. IP and Decatur battling in round 3 would be one to see. Play in Mineral Wells if Furman has his way.

RMAC
05-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I think it is a Wylie/IP regional final. IP and Decatur battling in round 3 would be one to see. Play in Mineral Wells if Furman has his way.

Or here in Graham. I think IP could go deep even though they might not have the depth at the plate, they just might pick it up here in the playoffs. Yeah, if you get Break in a 3 game series then their just about toast. Heatly is a good pitcher but other than him they have no depth on the mound.

football4life
05-04-2006, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by GWOOD
I really think Perryton is a year away. They lost 6 or 7 critical seniors from last years team. I know they are reloading this year but I still am guessing that next year they will be really tough.

I agree. They beat us 3 times by a total of 4 runs, showing that they are mature. As for us, we could be in the same boat, as we have only 3 senior starters this year. Problem is, I'm one of those so maybe we can make a run. Wylie will be extremely tough, after we get past littlefield.

GreenMonster
05-04-2006, 10:41 PM
Play-off games are determined by solid pitching performances paired with good defensive outings and TIMELY hitting. If you can get it done when your one or two chances to capitalize come around, regardless how you do it, then you will win the game. It doesn't take a lineup full of bombers, but rather a lineup full of good contact men to accomplish this.

*Side note, last time I talked to Drew Fulfer he was making plans to attend Paris Junior College to continue his baseball career.

PS: Fuhrman loves to play in Mineral Wells. The layout is very similar to that of Graham which his teams are accustomed to and it is a very reasonable meeting place for most teams from the metro or Abilene area. He also likes to play in Snyder if he's playing a west Texas school.