PDA

View Full Version : Highland Park ISD is seeking donations

Adidas410s
05-04-2006, 09:50 AM
HP will pass hat to fund schools
Officials: $100 million endowment would give district fiscal stability

09:07 AM CDT on Thursday, May 4, 2006
By KRISTEN HOLLAND / The Dallas Morning News

The state Legislature has exhausted two years and four special sessions searching for a new way to finance public schools.

Highland Park schools, however, have had enough. Rather than wait for money that's unlikely to come, the district will raise cash a simpler way – by asking for it.

The district's plans to build up a $100 million endowment – yes, that's $100 million – is raising some eyebrows, though. While some private schools including St. Mark's School of Texas and The Hockaday School have endowments worth nearly that much, it would be more than many colleges have in the bank.

The University of North Texas, for example, only has about $58 million in its endowment fund. Texas State, in San Marcos, has less than $39 million.

Though district officials say they need the financial security an endowment of that magnitude would provide, some say it raises equity concerns because few communities can raise that kind of cash. As public schools nationwide struggle with funding cuts, many see endowments – more common for private schools and universities – as unavoidable.

"What we're looking for are mechanisms that can assure that the gap between what the state funding formula gives you and what is needed to educate our students is covered," said Cathy Bryce, Highland Park's superintendent.

Jan Peterson, executive director of the Highland Park Education Foundation, said the goal is daunting, but doable.

"I wouldn't even say it if I didn't think it was feasible," Ms. Peterson said, adding that the nonprofit will oversee the fund.

The campaign hasn't officially begun, but an announcement about the first million-dollar donation is planned for Tuesday's school board meeting. Ms. Peterson declined to identify the donor but said it's a local resident.

She said announcements about several $250,000 and $100,000 gifts will come in the next few months.

Per-pupil spending
Though insiders are familiar with the district's financial straits, the perception that liquid gold flows from Highland Park faucets still exists.

The district is considered wealthy by the state, but it spends less per student than Dallas. Southlake Carroll, Coppell, Richardson and Plano also spend more.

During the 2004-05 school year, Highland Park spent $6,419 per student, enough to be ranked 37th out of 68 North Texas districts. The state average was $6,526 that year.

The gap would be even wider without donations.

Highland Park received $331 in private funds for each student during the 2004-05 school year. In the early 1990s, before the current school finance system started, Highland Park consistently topped the rankings statewide without private dollars.

Critics, however, say Highland Park can spend less per student because the district has minimal transportation, food service and social services costs.

Nevertheless, district leaders say they wouldn't be in a funding predicament if the tax system didn't drain their revenues. Almost three-quarters of Highland Park's property tax revenue is redistributed to poorer districts.

By the end of this summer, Highland Park will have sent almost $600 million to the state since the finance system started in 1993. Since then, parents have stepped up to fill gaps, giving more than $23.7 million.

The district's Mad for Plaid effort – which generated more than $2.5 million last year – will not be affected by the endowment.

Millions each year
Depending on the return on its investments, a $100 million endowment would allow the education foundation to give $4 million to $5 million a year to the district, Ms. Peterson said. The funds could be spent on teacher salaries, technology and campus improvements.

Unlike annual funds, endowments are like permanent savings accounts. Instead of spending the money on immediate needs, it's invested and only the earnings are used.

"The real advantage of an endowment is it provides a dedicated source of funding that's not going to be subject to budgetary crisises, changes in leadership, political clamor," said David Bass, director of governmental relations for the Council for Advancement and Support of Education, or CASE.

Dorothy Hopkins said that type of funding is needed in Highland Park.

"Not knowing what's going to happen with Robin Hood, it makes sense to keep this foundation going and raise all the money they can," said Mrs. Hopkins, whose youngest daughter is a junior at Highland Park High.

Budgetary pressure
Highland Park isn't the first public school district to look outside the tax system for money. As funding has slipped, schools nationwide – from California to Massachusetts – have turned to private sector fundraising.

"We get a lot more calls," Mr. Bass said. "A lot of it is clearly budgetary pressure, desire on the parts of the parents to make sure institutions have the capacity to provide levels of excellence above what public financing can provide."

Just look at Boston Latin School.

In 1999, the 371-year-old public school launched its first major fundraising campaign to cover costs the Boston school district could not. The five-year effort raised about $50 million for the public college-prep school.

"It's really been a godsend," said David Weiner, president of the school's alumni group. "We were able to create an endowment to provide scholarships to our seniors. We were able to use some of the money to create a bigger, more modern library."

While few would argue that raising private money is a bad business move for school districts, some say it could be seen as unfair.

"The flip side of the Highland Park story are those districts that tax at the same rate that Highland Park does or higher but can't get nearly the resources," said Margaret Plecki, an assistant professor in educational leadership and policy studies at Washington State University.

She said that leaders of less wealthy districts may question whether Highland Park needs any state funding if it has a large endowment. "This is another example of what happens when we are drawing from unequal resource bases," in this case property taxes, Dr. Plecki explained.

No desire to outspend
Dr. Bryce defended the tactic, saying that a $100 million endowment won't generate much more than what the district must raise on an annual basis now.

"I think it's fair to say that this community has no desire for us to outspend," Dr. Bryce said. "Those days are over, they're gone."

Public schools that want to maintain high student achievement must bring in private funds because state funding is declining, she said. Even colleges and universities are feeling the pinch and leaning toward public-private partnerships.

In 2005, 334 out of 746 colleges and universities reported having endowments worth at least $100 million, according to a study conducted by the National Association of College and University Business Officers. Whether Highland Park can meet its fundraising goal remains to be seen. But Bob Hopkins, founder and president of Dallas-based Philanthropy World magazine, said the endowment will be an easy sell in the Park Cities.

"Those people that live in Highland Park cherish that educational system; $100 million is not out of bounds for them," he said.

E-mail kholland@dallasnews.com

HPISD AT A GLANCE

Enrollment for 2005-06: 6,212

Average teacher salary for 2004-05: $45,550 (state average for 2004-05: $41,011)

Operating expenditures per student for 2004-05: $6,419, including $331 in private donations and participation fees (state average for 2004-05: $6,526)

Operating budget for 2005-06: $115,203,016

SOURCE: Highland Park ISD

Macarthur
05-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Can't say that I blame them.

Our public school system is extremely broken at the state level as well as nationaly. We need a presidential candidate that will fix it and take an honest approach that doesn't pander to anyone. Personally, I think it needs to be blown up and start over. There are lots of models around the world that work better than ours. The first thing we need to do is forget about this ideal of everyone needing to be educated the same. It's just not possible outside of basic reading and writing. But I don't every see it happening.

Would love to hear others thoughts....

Aesculus gilmus
05-04-2006, 12:46 PM
The founders of Texas were very committed to public education. I think it was Mirabeau B. Lamar who called it the "guardian genius of democracy."

What they would not recognize is the change in composition of the population. I very much doubt if these antebellum Texans would have ever envisioned a majority nonwhite population in the public schools, but that's what we are approaching.

Don't get me wrong. I am not calling for "separate but equal" which was ruled unconstitutional by Plessy v. Ferguson in 1896. In fact, it is not even the blacks I am considering here. Many achieve brilliantly. It is the influx of Mexicans or Texicans or whatever you want to call them once they establish more or less permanent residence without achieving legal status. These children have a tradition of not going beyond sixth grade in Mexico. Then they either go to work or make babies.

If an entire segment of the population (a rapidly growing one, at that) positively DOES NOT WANT a public, taxpayer-funded education, who am I to tell them they have to go to a public school twice as long as they did back in their native land?

raider red 2000
05-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
The founders of Texas were very committed to public education. I think it was Mirabeau B. Lamar who called it the "guardian genius of democracy."

What they would not recognize is the change in composition of the population. I very much doubt if these antebellum Texans would have ever envisioned a majority nonwhite population in the public schools, but that's what we are approaching.

Don't get me wrong. I am not calling for "separate but equal" which was ruled unconstitutional by Plessy v. Ferguson in 1896. In fact, it is not even the blacks I am considering here. Many achieve brilliantly. It is the influx of Mexicans or Texicans or whatever you want to call them once they establish more or less permanent residence without achieving legal status. These children have a tradition of not going beyond sixth grade in Mexico. Then they either go to work or make babies.

If an entire segment of the population (a rapidly growing one, at that) positively DOES NOT WANT a public, taxpayer-funded education, who am I to tell them they have to go to a public school twice as long as they did back in their native land?

what does lazy brown people not liking school have to do with rich people raising money????

what are you talking about?????

Aesculus gilmus
05-04-2006, 01:37 PM
I was replying to Macarthur's post, not the article itself.

Macarthur said he would love to hear other thoughts about our public schools. Those were my thoughts.

And I've looked it up. What President Mirabeau B. Lamar of the Republic of Texas said was: "Cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy."

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/handbook/online/articles/LL/fla15.html
Lamar's proposal that the Congress establish a system of educationqv endowed by public landsqv resulted in the act of January 26, 1839, which set aside land for public schools and two universities. Although it was decades before the school system was established, Lamar's advocacy of the program earned for him the nickname "Father of Texas Education." A dictum in one of his messages to Congress, "Cultivated mind is the guardian genius of democracy," was rendered by Dr. Edwin Fayqv into Disciplina Praesidium Civitatis, the motto of the University of Texas.

raider red 2000
05-04-2006, 01:41 PM
so whats your suggestion?

if kids dont want to goto school....dont make em?

Macarthur
05-04-2006, 01:47 PM
One model I have read about is japan. The school and parents identify in late elementary what "track" a kid will take. The two primary are vocational or acedemic. There's no sense once a kid turns 13 or 14 to keep them in a strictly acedemic evironment if they have no interest or motivation to be there. Teach them a trade.

raider red 2000
05-04-2006, 01:52 PM
i kinda believe in something like that, but isnt that what the soviets were doing for years?

i think that if we did it for a few years, then it would pay off.....let the punks go to work or decide if they want to learn to contribute in school.

we dont carry no dead weight.

wyliegrad04
05-04-2006, 01:54 PM
maybe Wylie needs to do this ... surely they could raise $100 million, haha ...

ACU did a campaign thing to raise $150 million and they are getting way way way up there. But that is with like $10 and $20 million dollar donations in there.

raider red 2000
05-04-2006, 01:58 PM
why would wylie want to do this....just to do it?

wyliegrad04
05-04-2006, 02:04 PM
well, you gotta think of funding in the future ... highland park wants to get ahead ... i think wylie should too ... why not?

raider red 2000
05-04-2006, 02:16 PM
i dont know if it would be a good idea to keep up with the jones all of the time.

espcially when the jones' in HP can buy the state of TEXAS if they wanted.

Aesculus gilmus
05-04-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
so whats your suggestion?

if kids dont want to goto school....dont make em?

I don't know, but it would sure save a lot of money if public school attendance were to be voluntary after, say, age 14.

raider red 2000
05-04-2006, 02:38 PM
yes it would.

can you imagine all of those free lunches that we wouldnt have to give out :)

seriosly..i think that more schools need to teach more about vocational trades than what kids are getting.

i say get rid of TAKS and teach kids to be mechanics and plumbers....useful stuff.

JimmyIsaac
05-04-2006, 04:00 PM
It's looking like Tatum ISD will stay in good shape for the coming years, particularly with TXU's latest expansion announcement.

Chris Hart
05-04-2006, 06:20 PM
I'm guessing that the Highland Park vault used to buy the parents of recruits is running dry. Here's to wishing them success in raising the money to keep em coming in;) :D

AggieJohn
05-04-2006, 07:44 PM
crazy, and A&M had problems getting the 20 million for the indoor stadium