PDA

View Full Version : Favorite sports memories (no kid stories)

CenTexSports
05-04-2006, 08:22 AM
1) Getting Mickey Mantel's autograph when I was 7.

2) Watching Nolan Ryan face Bo Jackson for the first time at Royal's Stadium. Bo struck out 3 times that night.

3) Watching Dave Kingman in Chicago one night swing so hard that he had to have the trainer come out and spray the cold stuff on his ribs. The next pitch he hit on the roof of old Comisky.

4) Getting to see Brooks Robinson hit a home run against the Rangers at the old Arlington Stadium.

5) Meeting Roger the Dodger when he spoke at our football banquet my senior year in high school. It was the highlight of our 1 - 9 year.

BullFrog Dad
05-04-2006, 08:49 AM
In the summer of 1974, my Dad and I watched the Rangers sweep the Angels in a double header at the old Arlington Stadium. Ferguson Jenkins and Jim Bibby were the Ranger starters. Nolan Ryan and Frank Tanana pitched for the Angels.

WOSgrad
05-04-2006, 09:09 AM
In 1980 (year the Astros won their first division title), my dad caught a foul ball hit by reliever Dave Smith. We were sitting in the first row of the upper deck at the Astrodome near the first base area.

I had always wondered how a reliever who batted very little could get a ball up there. Then, a few years later, Billy Hatcher was suspended after the broken bat he was using spilled cork all over the Astroturf. The bat.....was Dave Smith's.

Mystery solved!

SWMustang
05-04-2006, 09:12 AM
I was at the 18 inning Astros Playoff game last year against the Braves in the divisional series. Greatest Rollercoaster ride I ever saw in person.

Adidas410s
05-04-2006, 09:19 AM
In no particular order:

1) Sitting in the first row behind home plate to watch Nolan Ryan vs Roger Clemens in the last year of the old Arlington Stadium. Even better is meeting Nolan Ryan the following year in Abilene at a fundraiser and he signed a photo my dad took of Ryan helping out in a rundown between 3rd and home and there are all of the Kodak "K's" hanging over the left field wall.

2) Being at Carlton Fisk's last game at Fenway Park as a White Sox player. I'm not sure but I think it was Wade Boggs last year. The game went 14 innings and in the bottom of the 14th Boggs fouled a ball off right into my seat (under the awning on the 3rd base side) but we had moved down to the first few rows after people started leaving.

3) Listening to Nolan Ryan's 5000th strikeout vs Ricky Henderson. Also, watching his 6th and 7th no-hitters. I watched those tapes over and over and over...

4) Getting to meet Will Clark when he came to play for Texas. He was my favorite player as a kid.

5) Travelling to Austin to watch Abilene Cooper win state in baseball in 1987 and 1988. Arguably one of the greatest teams in Texas history, they had 10 or 11 guys that played on at least one of those teams drafted in the amateur baseball drafts within the next few years.

Isn't it funny that everybody is writing about baseball??? :D :D :D

A non-baseball memory:

6) My first ever trip to a Division 1 Football game was in 2002 to see Texas Tech vs Texas A&M. A&M jumps out to an early lead and is dominating through 3 quarters on the way to QB Dustin Long setting a Big XII record with 7 TD passes. However, Kliff Kingbury leads the Raiders to 24 4th quarter points (they were down 18 to start the 4th) and A&M misses an extra point late in the 4th quarter that allowed Tech to kick a game-tying field goal at the end of regulation. Then, after Tech scores in OT, A&M scores easily before missing a second extra point. It was a great game as far as excitement...and another great example of A&M choking!

SWMustang
05-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
In no particular order:

1) Sitting in the first row behind home plate to watch Nolan Ryan vs Roger Clemens in the last year of the old Arlington Stadium. Even better is meeting Nolan Ryan the following year in Abilene at a fundraiser and he signed a photo my dad took of Ryan helping out in a rundown between 3rd and home and there are all of the Kodak "K's" hanging over the left field wall.

2) Being at Carlton Fisk's last game at Fenway Park as a White Sox player. I'm not sure but I think it was Wade Boggs last year. The game went 14 innings and in the bottom of the 14th Boggs fouled a ball off right into my seat (under the awning on the 3rd base side) but we had moved down to the first few rows after people started leaving.

3) Listening to Nolan Ryan's 5000th strikeout vs Ricky Henderson. Also, watching his 6th and 7th no-hitters. I watched those tapes over and over and over...

4) Getting to meet Will Clark when he came to play for Texas. He was my favorite player as a kid.

5) Travelling to Austin to watch Abilene Cooper win state in baseball in 1987 and 1988. Arguably one of the greatest teams in Texas history, they had 10 or 11 guys that played on at least one of those teams drafted in the amateur baseball drafts within the next few years.

A non-baseball memory:

6) My first ever trip to a Division 1 Football game was in 2002 to see Texas Tech vs Texas A&M. A&M jumps out to an early lead and is dominating through 3 quarters on the way to QB Dustin Long setting a Big XII record with 7 TD passes. However, Kliff Kingbury leads the Raiders to 24 4th quarter points (they were down 18 to start the 4th) and A&M misses an extra point late in the 4th quarter that allowed Tech to kick a game-tying field goal at the end of regulation. Then, after Tech scores in OT, A&M scores easily before missing a second extra point. It was a great game as far as excitement...and another great example of A&M choking!

Not to get off topic, but whatever happened to Jason Satre - I think that was his name...

pirate44
05-04-2006, 09:46 AM
the first one that comes to mind is catching the final foul ball in a game between the rangers and twins (later that season becoming the world champion twins). the next pitch was a fly out which ended the game. i have the ball on display on a book shelf in my den.

CenTexSports
05-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Baseball is THE GREAT AMERICA past time. I watch football, play golf but I LOVE baseball.

One more favorite: Hot Pants night at Arlington Stadium in the mid 1970's. I don't care who was playing, those were some great games. Bring you wife or girlfriend and if they were wearing hop pants, they got in for free. I love baseball.

Adidas410s
05-04-2006, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
Not to get off topic, but whatever happened to Jason Satre - I think that was his name...

He made it to Triple A with the Orioles within 2 or 3 years of high school...and then the Reds AAA team...and then the Red Sox AAA team...and then was never heard from again. He loved alcohol more than baseball. He was still one of the greatest pitchers I have ever watched in person. He had a 95 mph fastball and an 88-90 mph slider to go along with a NASTY 12 to 6 curve that came in between 78-83 mph. I remember watching Brian Bohanan of Round Rock (who was also one of the top hitters in the nation at the time) go spinning around trying to hit Satre in the state tournament. Satre was truly a man among boys in Texas high school baseball.

WOSgrad
05-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
In no particular order:

Well, that is because my major college and pro experiences have not been kind to the team I supported:

1. In the early 1980's, I was invited to go see LSU play Tulane at Death Valley in Baton Rouge. This was the LSU team that had Dalton Hilliard and Gary James in their backfield and they had wrapped up their first major bowl bid (Orange Bowl) in forever. Well, the weather was miserable and so was LSU, who lost the game.

2. In the early 1990's (I think 1993), I had been over to a friend's to watch the Cowboys play and win their playoff game. As he lived just a mile from the Astrodome, we decided to hurry over there to watch the Oilers, who had won something like 12 consecutive games and was playing the heavy underdog Chiefs. Well, someone forgot to tell the Chiefs that!

3. Mid 1990's, I head up to Texas Stadium to watch the Cowboys in their playoff game against the Cardinals. It was cold!!!! The Cowboys must have been cold, too. Or at least they played like they were! Yep, they lost!

Yea, good ole baseball!

District303aPastPlayer
05-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Not many that i can think of... Maybe watching Braves/Astros with David Justice and Marquis Grissom im Left and Center, with Smoltz on the mound.

Also, watching an indoor football game last year... seeing a reciever jump up for a pass near the sideline, only to have the free safety hit him so hard he went flying into the stands. 3rd row never felt so unforgiving i bet...

BullFrog Dad
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
Gotta throw in the best HS playoff football game I've ever seen. It was the Friday after Thanksgiving 2002-Decatur vs Sweetwater at Stephenville. SW scores first on a FG 3-0, then Decatur 7-3, then SW 10-7, D 14-10, SW 17-14, D 21-17, SW 24-21, and the Decatur receiver is stopped on the one foot line as time ran out. Final Sweetwater 24 Decatur 21!

Bearkat
05-04-2006, 12:11 PM
1. My first NFL game. Eagles at COWBOYS on monday night. The atmosphere was incredible and the COWBOYS won.

2. My brother and I went on a baseball trip last year. We went to Wrigley Field and Miller Park. A great experience!!! The history of Wrigley and the new park in Milwaukee.

Bull's-eye
05-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Watching Michael Jordan and the Bulls play the Rockets, winning a free pizza and meeting former president George Bush at half time.

Chris Hart
05-04-2006, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
Baseball is THE GREAT AMERICA past time. I watch football, play golf but I LOVE baseball.

I think they are referring to the great American way to 'pass the time' until football season starts!:D

mustang04
05-04-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Gotta throw in the best HS playoff football game I've ever seen. It was the Friday after Thanksgiving 2002-Decatur vs Sweetwater at Stephenville. SW scores first on a FG 3-0, then Decatur 7-3, then SW 10-7, D 14-10, SW 17-14, D 21-17, SW 24-21, and the Decatur receiver is stopped on the one foot line as time ran out. Final Sweetwater 24 Decatur 21!

man....i wonder how that game appeared to a spectator....cuz that was the best game i ever played in....just the emotions throughout the game and all....it was awesome

sahen
05-04-2006, 06:17 PM
1. Baylor vs. A&M 2004, im sure people remember that one and know why

2. I dunno if we r supposed to put highschool but Baytown Sterling vs. Katy Tigers 1999.....Sterling was literally ranked 100+ in 5a in the state at the time (on those internet ranking sites) and Katy was number 1 in Texas and i think 2 or 3 in the nation....Sterling won the game at Katy on their homecoming, it was pretty cool and pretty much improbable...

and congrats to bulls eye for hitting 1000 posts.....