PDA

View Full Version : Jersey #s in the NFL....

Pmoney
05-02-2006, 04:36 PM
I have a question...Why does the NFL care what number a player wears? (ex. the NFL might not allow Reggie Bush to have the #5)...isn't it the player's choice of what number he wants its that way in every other sport that I know of....do ya'll agree w/ me?

Maroon87
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
The NFL has a system where numbers are available according to what postion the player has. For instance QBs can only wear #1-19, RBs #20-49, linemen/LBs #50-79, WR/TE 80-89, DL/LBs 90-99. Not sure why RBs & WRs can't wear a 1-19 number, although a few WRs wear those numbers now like Keyshawn Johnson.

Pmoney
05-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
The NFL has a system where numbers are available according to what postion the player has. For instance QBs can only wear #1-19, RBs #20-49, linemen/LBs #50-79, WR/TE 80-89, DL/LBs 90-99. Not sure why RBs & WRs can't wear a 1-19 number, although a few WRs wear those numbers now like Keyshawn Johnson.
ya i knew the NFL had a system but what does the system solve IMO absolutly nothin i think if a QB wants the #99 then he is more welcome to

Adidas410s
05-02-2006, 04:48 PM
it was mainly for officiating purposes I believe.

Bullaholic
05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I'll agree, Adidas. The refs have to know what players are elligible to handle the ball or block downfield on a pass.

Adidas410s
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I'll agree, Adidas. The refs have to know what players are elligible to handle the ball or block downfield on a pass.

There we go...thanks for reminding me why. I couldn't think of why they do it.

Now that being said, I think they could say with a # 1-49 and 80-89 you are eligible to be a ball handler...if you are #50-79 or 90-99 then you aren't unless you check in with official as such.

Pmoney
05-02-2006, 04:56 PM
o ok thats understanding but i still dont understand why the RBs and WRs cant have a # 1-49

cheatchu
05-02-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
RBs & WRs can't wear a 1-19 number, although a few WRs wear those numbers now like Keyshawn Johnson.

Thats not correct it isnt against the rules WR's can wear the numbers 10-19 now they changed that rule several years ago because there were so many WR who had lower numbers in college that wanted to wear there college numbers. WRs are making a push now for the nfl to make 1-9 eligible for them too since there are many who had those numbers in college also.

cheatchu
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
RBs are still limited to the original numbers though, but WRs have had complained enough to get the rules changed for them.

DU_stud04
05-02-2006, 07:17 PM
i alwways wanted 4 as my football number.... had to stick with 61:(

Adidas410s
05-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by cheatchu
Thats not correct it isnt against the rules WR's can wear the numbers 10-19 now they changed that rule several years ago because there were so many WR who had lower numbers in college that wanted to wear there college numbers. WRs are making a push now for the nfl to make 1-9 eligible for them too since there are many who had those numbers in college also.
actually it had nothing to do with their college numbers. Many WR's and RB's have not been allowed to keep their college number. They changed it because almost ever number in the 80's has been retired by at least 1 team and this will now give WR's 20 possible numbers to pick from where as before they were the only position with 10 possible choices.

Haunta Yo
05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
I loved QB Otto Graham wearin' #60 as much as him wearing the first facemask...

Little history lesson for you boys:

The NFL itself legislated this turn of events in the 1952 by outlining what numbers could be worn by which positions. For some teams, that entailed wholesale changes to the game program. The Cleveland Browns had several star players switch numbers in 1952. Actually they were shifting from the old All America Conference numbering scheme to one newly-instituted by the NFL. Tackle Lou Groza went from 46 to 76 while fullback Marion Motley went from 76 to 36. Browns Hall of Fame quarterback Otto Graham wore 60 from 1946-51 and 14 from 1952-5. His jersey is on display at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, and you can see that instead of issuing him a new jersey, the team simply tore off the 60 and sewed a 14 on to his faded jersey with the outline of the original number still visible. There was no money to waste in those days. Over the years, those league numbering guidelines have been revised slightly and expanded over the full 0-99 spectrum as roster sizes increased.

http://www.fansedge.com/Images/Product/33-37/33-37556-P.jpg

Check out the shoes he's wearing...there's a story there too. Anyone recognize the brand?

Old Tiger
05-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
actually it had nothing to do with their college numbers. Many WR's and RB's have not been allowed to keep their college number. They changed it because almost ever number in the 80's has been retired by at least 1 team and this will now give WR's 20 possible numbers to pick from where as before they were the only position with 10 possible choices. That is not quite true either. They allowed them to wear teen numbers now because there are also TE's, which has to wear an 80's number, so they ran out of 80 numbers so that allowed them to choose 10-19 now. Keyshawn opened the door for this when he was drafted.

District303aPastPlayer
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
they are Chuck Taylor Converse.

and the Edge tried to get his # changed back in 04 i believe... they denied himq

NHSRattler60
05-03-2006, 05:23 AM
I remember when I was on JV, I was moved from tight end to Lineman. I still had the number 80 on and went in as a linemen. They booted me from the game.

That's when I became 60 :thumbsup:

Then Junior Year, I was a full back against Bellville, and still with the Number 60 on, so when we changed formation we had to tell the referees and they announced that I was elligible to handle the ball. like 30 yards in that game. We lost...but I was proud. And Sore.

There are also formation shifts that make Tackles and Guards elligble in HS football. The NFL has outlawed them though I'm sure.

Keith7
05-03-2006, 11:04 AM

if this is true then how did the fridge get to handle the ball??? or Vrabel of the patriots catch all those playoff tds

Buccaneer
05-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Keith7
if this is true then how did the fridge get to handle the ball??? or Vrabel of the patriots catch all those playoff tds
They reported in to the referee!

Adidas410s
05-03-2006, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Buccaneer
They reported in to the referee!

:thumbsup: Vrabel will check in as tackle eligible when he lines up as a 3rd TE on the play.