PDA

View Full Version : Is Kobe the next Jordan?

big daddy russ
05-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Certainly seems like he's on his way, especially this postseason. He's been the most unstoppable player in the league the past three years (not Shaq, Timmy, or LeBron). Now he's making his teammates better, too. Remind anyone of Jordan circa 1989?

Adidas410s
05-02-2006, 04:15 PM
well Dirk is the next...Dirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrk! ;)

ILS1
05-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Certainly seems like he's on his way, especially this postseason. He's been the most unstoppable player in the league the past three years (not Shaq, Timmy, or LeBron). Now he's making his teammates better, too. Remind anyone of Jordan circa 1989?

Not even close!!! I think Lebron has a better chance to replace Jordan than Kobe. Because he is a TEAM player,Kobe IS the team!!! Lebron is always willing to pass the ball and rebound more and do the little intangible stuff. Plus,Lebron plays defense,Kobe couldn't spell defense!!! Lebron for such a younger player is a classy,head smart person. Kobe thinks with the little head!!!!

:D :D

Gobbler Fan
05-02-2006, 04:26 PM
Bryant = good but no Jordan comparison's yet from me .

My all time top 10 - Wilt Chamerlain,Michael Jordan ,Bill Russel, Magic Johnson ,Larry Bird ,John Havlecek , Rick Barry ,Bob Cousy ,Oscar Robertson

"You can take Michael Jordans shoes and try to fill them . All of us now could put our foot in them and they still wouldnt fit.There will never be another Michael Jordan , nowhere near it ." Allen Iverson

lostaussie
05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Lebron James will be filling those shoes within the next couple of years. remember, he's only 21.

STANG RED
05-02-2006, 04:43 PM
Kobe may eventually equal Jordan in skills alone. But there was so much more to Jordan than just the skills. It was a combination of the skills, intelect, basketball saavy, leadership on and off the court, and the many intangibles, that I dont believe Kobe will ever possess. Lebron may develope all those things some day, but for now, Jordan is still in a class of his own.

big daddy russ
05-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Kobe may eventually equal Jordan in skills alone. But there was so much more to Jordan than just the skills. It was a combination of the skills, intelect, basketball saavy, leadership on and off the court, and the many intangibles, that I dont believe Kobe will ever possess. Lebron may develope all those things some day, but for now, Jordan is still in a class of his own.
Actually, Tex Winter (the "offensive coordinator" of both the Bulls' and Lakers' dynasties) said that Kobe's more skilled right now than Jordan ever was. The only thing that Jordan had only Kobe was strength and the post game. Now as far as the mental part of the game, that's where Kobe still has a ways to go.

big daddy russ
05-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Bryant = good but no Jordan comparison's yet from me .

My all time top 10 - Wilt Chamerlain,Michael Jordan ,Bill Russel, Magic Johnson ,Larry Bird ,John Havlecek , Rick Barry ,Bob Cousy ,Oscar Robertson

"You can take Michael Jordans shoes and try to fill them . All of us now could put our foot in them and they still wouldnt fit.There will never be another Michael Jordan , nowhere near it ." Allen Iverson
There will be another Jordan long before there will be another Russell.

Blastoderm55
05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Er, Kobe's been on the NBA All Defensive Team before. I think that means he's a decent defender. This postseason he's finally come around in terms of being a leader and involving his teammates in the game while still being about to carry them in the clutch.

District303aPastPlayer
05-02-2006, 09:38 PM
i can almost guarentee that most of the votes for no are most likely from people who can't get past his off the court problem.

Old Tiger
05-02-2006, 09:48 PM
I voted no because he is a selfish player and too cocky.

District303aPastPlayer
05-02-2006, 09:56 PM
his post season scoring average has been lower than his in season i think...

RMAC
05-02-2006, 11:17 PM
I vote no b/c where are all his championships? If you're a good player great, but just like Hawaii's QB, you gotta have the hardware if you want the respect.

District303aPastPlayer
05-02-2006, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by RMAC
I vote no b/c where are all his championships? If you're a good player great, but just like Hawaii's QB, you gotta have the hardware if you want the respect.

he has 3... doesnt he? or do those not count?

kaorder1999
05-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Kobe cannot play with any other star on his team....therefore...he can will never be on the level of a Jordan

big daddy russ
05-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I voted no because he is a selfish player and too cocky.

...Remind anyone of Jordan circa 1989?

Everyone seems to forget, but Jordan had the same rep pre-'90. That shot over Ehlo and that series over the Cavs put him into that Magic/Bird/Isaiah-level of NBA players.

SintonFan
05-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Too soon to compare these two. Give it another twenty years.
TNT reported that one of Kobe's teamates might be indicted for sexual assault. Another rally point? Ehh....
Kobe's skills are great, but there can only be one BEST player ever.:cool:

Bulldog_12
05-03-2006, 02:30 AM
Everyone seems to forget, but Jordan had the same rep pre-'90. That shot over Ehlo and that series over the Cavs put him into that Magic/Bird/Isaiah-level of NBA players.

Im glad somebody remembers Jordan in his early years. If I can recall corectly, I believe Jordan also had some issues off of the court as well. Kobe looks a lot like Jordan in the beginning. He will definately be mentioned at the top of the list of great athletes only behind Jordan, (and possibly) LeBron. Kobe is just ten kinds of amazing.

NHSRattler60
05-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Jordan is Jordan. There is now comparison. There is not shoe filler or "next generation version"

Kobe Bryant has his own legacy to make IMO.

hata_hurta06
05-03-2006, 08:26 AM
Kobe sux!!!! If i had da ball in ma hand half the game i could look good also...Next jordan? plz!! If he played with his team i mite think about it but he doesnt so....

big daddy russ
05-03-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by hata_hurta06
Kobe sux!!!! If i had da ball in ma hand half the game i could look good also...Next jordan? plz!! If he played with his team i mite think about it but he doesnt so....
How tall or you? Can you create your own shot? Can you nail a high school three trailing by one with two seconds to play even if you can't get any separation from a defender? Can you step back a few feet and nail that same shot? Can you dunk it over a guy who's 6'4"? And can you do these things consistently?

Ron Mercer looked good during his years with the Bulls, but that doesn't mean you'll hear his name floating around in any 2001 MVP discussions.

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2006, 11:08 AM
and doesnt Jordan have a gambling problem that he has had since the early 90's? but he has no off the court issues...

and didn't Jordan get EVERY FLIPPIN CALL that could have gone his way. If i remember correctly, he pushed off Ehlo when he crossed him up.

EricDraven
05-03-2006, 11:22 AM
No.

District303aPastPlayer
05-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by EricDraven
No.

no what?

EricDraven
05-03-2006, 11:47 AM
No, Kobe isn't the next Jordan. One and only Michael Jordan. Kobe is Kobe.

venomous tat2
05-03-2006, 11:50 AM
In all due respect there can never be a "Next " someone. I try to teach kids to be the first "you ", while other athletes may preform
as good as the great ones, and compared to them as well, there can only be one. It is a honor to be looked upon in the same light as the great ones, but being the next somebody else is no good.
J M O :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

EricDraven
05-03-2006, 11:54 AM
Kobe is great in his own right. I'm not a fan, but I respect his skill.

Yes, Jordan got a lot of calls his way. Shaq gets the same and Kobe will to. Just the nature of the NBA, thanks to Stern.

DaHop72
05-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by venomous tat2
In all due respect there can never be a "Next " someone. I try to teach kids to be the first "you ", while other athletes may preform
as good as the great ones, and compared to them as well, there can only be one. It is a honor to be looked upon in the same light as the great ones, but being the next somebody else is no good.
J M O :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

EricDraven
05-03-2006, 11:57 AM
The real question should be "Who's the next Danny Ainge?":D

big daddy russ
05-03-2006, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
The real question should be "Who's the next Danny Ainge?":D
The Padres' Chris Young. Final answer.

HPLJ6L
05-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Yes Kobe is EXACTLY like Jordan.
If you mean that he will not win a championship until he gets around better players.
If you mean that he is about himself first and foremost.
If you mean that once Basketball is over, Nike will find someone else to sell their sh!t.
If you mean that both of them are given too much credit AND there is a better player in the league at the same position that is just less flashy and gets less pub. (Drexler was better than Jordan took a less talented team to deep playoffs) (Michael Redd is better than Kobe)
and everybody knows Kobe want to be Jordan, OH SO BADLY! That's why he is imitating him. Kobe is a Jordan knock-off. Kobe is swap meet Jordan.

Bulldog_12
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by HPLJ6L

(Michael Redd is better than Kobe)

:smoker:

HPLJ6L
05-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Redd is top 20 in every offensive statistical category including rebounds (which translates to hustle) and he plays defense.
All Kobe does is score.

Bulldog_12
05-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by HPLJ6L
Redd is top 20 in every offensive statistical category including rebounds (which translates to hustle) and he plays defense.
All Kobe does is score.

All Kobe does is carry a lame duck of a team to the playoffs and has them on the brink of the second round.

Here's some stats from NBA.com:
Kobe: Redd:
ppg 35.4 25.4

RPG 5.3 4.3

APG 4.5 2.9

SPG 1.84 1.19

BPG .38 .06

I dont think Redd is the better player by ANY means.

Phil C
05-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Lebron James will be filling those shoes within the next couple of years. remember, he's only 21.

I agree after watching Lebron last night! He was great and even if Cleveland had lost he would have played a great game. Kobe is a great player but he is not Michael yet. Lebron is going to be fantastic. If Cleveland can get one more outstanding player then they will rule the league. Can you imagine what would happen if Kobe and Lebron were on the same team? Whew!

HPLJ6L
05-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
All Kobe does is carry a lame duck of a team to the playoffs and has them on the brink of the second round.

Here's some stats from NBA.com:
Kobe: Redd:
ppg 35.4 25.4

RPG 5.3 4.3

APG 4.5 2.9

SPG 1.84 1.19

BPG .38 .06

I dont think Redd is the better player by ANY means.

ppg - look at percentages, Redd could jack up every shot just like Kobe and make up the 10 point difference.
rpg - on a team with strong rebounders
apg - on a team with a competent pg
spg - OK, good job Kobe.
bpg - 2 guards arent looked at to block a bunch of shots

Your stats prove my basic argument because they are so close, Kobe is on a team where he has to do it all, 81 in one game yet his stats aren't that much better than a player who gets his within the framework of his team. And just like with Jordan and Clyde there will be those who feel as if one just might be better than the other like me.

And LeBron is better than Redd and Kobe, he just plays the 3 instead of the 2.