PDA

View Full Version : Grilling & Smoking BBQ at Home....

Bullaholic
05-02-2006, 11:30 AM
What's your favorite home grilled or BBQ'd food? How about the other "fixins" such as salad or beans?

I'm really partial to mesquite-smoked pork ribs. Rub em' down good with garlic salt & pepper and Carribean jerk seasoning and put them in the smoker at about 250 degrees for 3 hours or so, take em' out and cover them and finish them off in the oven for about 2.5 hours at 250-----ummmmm, sauce em' up and finger-lickin' good and tender.

44INAROW
05-02-2006, 11:36 AM
This time of the year, I am partial to grilled shrimp and redfish. I have been watching Bobby Flay and I am determined to learn how he does those sauces to put on the fish while grilling......
and on the Beef Side - a 1 inch thick; Medium Rare Rib Eye BBQ'd over mesquite with a baked potatoe (loaded); grilled asparagus and pasta salad :)

pirate44
05-02-2006, 12:07 PM
rib-eyes, briskit, chicken, vegetables, aw what the heck, everything.

EricDraven
05-02-2006, 12:09 PM
Nothing like a good pork tenderloin, some tater salad heavy on the mustard and good ol' pinto beans.

Bullaholic
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Hope we can get ESPN1 to share some of his BBQ secrets---I know that guy can do all with outdoor cooking. I wouldn't mind hearing about crawfish or crab boiling and fish frying, also.

EricDraven
05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
Nothing like a good fish fry.

Gobbla2001
05-02-2006, 12:11 PM
During dove season (and if you sit out with your pellet gun during the rest of the year) grilling dove is good...

I wanna try and grill some shrimp... never was big on seafood but shrimp isn't too bad every now and then...

Other than that I like grillin' anything... fajitas, pork loin, brisket, steak and ribs whatever....

slpybear the bullfan
05-02-2006, 12:35 PM
PORK RIBS!!!!

Marinate 24-36 Hours in Italian Dressing in the Fridge.

Pull 'em out and let 'em drip mostly dry in the sink.

Cover with your favorite spices. And I mean cover liberally. Rub. Cover. Drink Beverage. Rub. Cover. Drink.... well, you get the point.

Smoke over hickory. (Sorry, love mesquite but hickory gets the nod from slpybear!). I like 250 for 3 hours as well. Drink to keep it tender. Then I let my fire die and smoke around 210-220 for another 2 to 3 hours... till the meat is pulling back off the bones. Make sure you keep drinking to make sure it is tender.

No basting of sauces... (heathens!)

Gotta have homeade potato salad with it, (make sure it has purple onion, eggs, bacon, relish, paprika, real mayo and mustard in it!). And potato salad must be creamy.

Also, BBQ beans... Ranch style with catalina dressing, rotel tomatoes, and a can of Coke.

throw in some bread and banan pudding and I... I... I... gotta go home and start the ribs to marinating!!!!!!!!!

Gobbla2001
05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
PORK RIBS!!!!

Cover with your favorite spices. And I mean cover liberally. Rub. Cover. Drink Beverage. Rub. Cover. Drink.... well, you get the point.

Smoke over hickory. (Sorry, love mesquite but hickory gets the nod from slpybear!). I like 250 for 3 hours as well. Drink to keep it tender. Then I let my fire die and smoke around 210-220 for another 2 to 3 hours... till the meat is pulling back off the bones. Make sure you keep drinking to make sure it is tender.

Gotta have homeade potato salad with it, (make sure it has purple onion, eggs, bacon, relish, paprika, real mayo and mustard in it!). And potato salad must be creamy.

Also, BBQ beans... Ranch style with catalina dressing, rotel tomatoes, and a can of Coke.

throw in some bread and banan pudding and I... I... I... gotta go home and start the ribs to marinating!!!!!!!!!

Isn't Italian Dressing a Godsend or what?

NHSRattler60
05-02-2006, 01:05 PM
Pork ribs marinated in Honey BBQ Sauce over night. Cook em JUST RIGHT they slid off the bone.

Also, Brisket with a side of BBQ Sauce.

Sides: Baked Potato with Shredded Cheese, Ham, Bacon Bits and Butter.

NHSRattler60
05-02-2006, 01:06 PM
Now I'm Hungry. You suck.

Blastoderm55
05-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Burgers on the grill are the best. Gotta love fajitas in the oven, marinated for a day or so in Italian dressing.

lostaussie
05-02-2006, 01:12 PM
imo world's greatest steak seasoning. made in san angelo by the name of U.S. Cattlebrand. i can only get it when i go hunting in the hill country or out west. anybody else familiar with it. i use it mainly on steaks but also use it to season pinto beans. this stuff is great.

DaHop72
05-02-2006, 01:15 PM
I cook the meanest hamburger known to man: In my family it's known as the "Hopper Whopper".:D :D

big daddy russ
05-02-2006, 02:35 PM
I love ribs and brisket, but I'm better at smoking fajitas. Most people grill them, but I like to BBQ them.

Gotta get the tenderized skirt steak from your local butcher, then go home and tenderize it more. After you finish with the meat mallett, take your turning fork and poke some holes in the meat to let the marinade soak through.

Turn on the stove, put a little beer, some butter, some italian dressing and some lime juice in it and simmer until it thickens to the consistency of dressing.

Rub the meat down with some Fajita Seasoning, throw it in some tupperware, and let it marinade overnight. The holes in the meat will allow the marinade to go into the meat, and the beer and lime juice will cook the meat just a little.

Next morning, go out and fire up your smoker. I prefer mesquite, but that's just me. Keep the fire above 500. Sprinkle some Prasek's BBQ rub on top, let each side go for about 1.5-2 hours.

Finally, before you take the meat off you have to make a baste. I like Lone Star Beer, real butter and my BBQ sauce. Only BBQ sauce I use is the HEB Texas Bold Sweet and Smoky. Throw it in a pan, heat it up, and take it out to the meat. Baste each side, cook for another 15 minutes, comes out great.

Oh, and you have to have homemade tortillas, grilled sweet onions and jalapenos, and some refried beans with your fajitas. It just isn't the same without them.

Now I like baby back ribs better, I just can't cook them like I can fajitas.

I also like to grill when I'm pressed for time. Love jerk pork chops and jerk chicken. Will also do fajitas and burgers when I'm grilling.

EricDraven
05-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Going for some BBQ in about an hour. Thanks to this thread, my diet is shot.

Bullaholic
05-02-2006, 02:52 PM
PORK RIBS!!!!

slpy...You are truly a "master" of the epicurian delights.

44INAROW
05-02-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
I cook the meanest hamburger known to man: In my family it's known as the "Hopper Whopper".:D :D

The "Hopper Whopper, Show Stopper" OK, I need to get back to work. :rolleyes:

DaHop72
05-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
The "Hopper Whopper, Show Stopper" OK, I need to get back to work. :rolleyes: And if you're ever in West Texas give me a call and I'll fire up the grill for you.:thumbsup:

BTEXDAD
05-02-2006, 03:21 PM
PORK RIBS!!!!

Make sure you keep drinking to make sure it is tender.

I quit drinking too soon the last time I made ribs. I won't let it happen again. Thanks, slpybear!

Bullaholic
05-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Another big question....What makes beer iced-down in a cooler taste so much better than beer out of the fridge?

Another fav....grilled jalapenos stuffed with cheddar cheese.

Shishkabobs with the right marinade and fixins is great for a change, also.

Adidas410s
05-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Another big question....What makes beer iced-down in a cooler taste so much better than beer out of the fridge?

Another fav....grilled jalapenos stuffed with cheddar cheese.

Shishkabobs with the right marinade and fixins is great for a change, also.
It's colder...duh! :rolleyes:

Bullaholic
05-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
It's colder...duh! :rolleyes:

lol. That's probably it, Adidas. Texans wouldn't make very good Germans---they drink their beer at room temp.

How come you can't make a hot dog taste as good as the good ones at the ballpark?

Adidas410s
05-02-2006, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
lol. That's probably it, Adidas. Texans wouldn't make very good Germans---they drink their beer at room temp.

How come you can't make a hot dog taste as good as the good ones at the ballpark?

cuz their grills are covered in grease and aren't cleaned when cooked upon like your grill at home. That's why I try to only clean mine once every few times...try it!

Also note that a hotdog gets better at a ballpark the further into the season you go. It's just gets more grease on it! :D