PDA

View Full Version : Were you affected by the May 1st protests and boycott?

pirate44
05-02-2006, 06:27 AM
Were you affected by the May 1st protests and boycott?

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2006, 06:29 AM
From what I saw, it was business as usual in Liberty Hill.

DU_stud04
05-02-2006, 06:32 AM
everything looked normal, even the 100 mexicans sitting at the gas station waiting to get picked up to work.....:D

Maroon87
05-02-2006, 06:50 AM
The park where I play softball on Monday nights was one of the protest sites, so the games were called off. Then again, we get rained out half the time anyway so that's nothing unusual.

lostaussie
05-02-2006, 07:05 AM
all of my employees came to work. buisness as usual.

piratebg
05-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Nope. All it did was take up a lot of air time on all of the major news networks and that's about all that bothered me.

bccards
05-02-2006, 07:19 AM
didn't affect me, but one mexican restaurant in Beaumont closed shop for the day. The owner/manager of Elana's Mexican Restaurant told all employees to not come to work, and rather, to run the roads protesting with all the others who are in the USA legally, that doesn't know the purpose of the bill. That restaurant will no longer be getting my business, and according to the news, a LOT of people will now boycott that restaurant. Let's see how the manager/owner likes it when s/he has to close his doors permanently because s/he isn't having any customers come and visit.. Wouldn't hurt my feelings, wasn't a good place to eat anyway! If the media wouldn't relay all this crap, the world would be a better place!

STANG RED
05-02-2006, 07:30 AM
I had one guy call in sick. He may have actually been sick, I dont know. Other than that, it didnt affect me at all. When I would see coverage on the TV, I would just change the channel. I also quit reading any reports of the protest. I'm just choosing to ignore it from here on out.

44INAROW
05-02-2006, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I I'm just choosing to ignore it from here on out.

same here..

espn1
05-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Slowed me down a little. But! My check will be slow also. I just won't be available Friday. Cinco De Mayo.

Aesculus gilmus
05-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by bccards
didn't affect me, but one mexican restaurant in Beaumont closed shop for the day. The owner/manager of Elana's Mexican Restaurant told all employees to not come to work, and rather, to run the roads protesting with all the others who are in the USA legally, that doesn't know the purpose of the bill. That restaurant will no longer be getting my business, and according to the news, a LOT of people will now boycott that restaurant. Let's see how the manager/owner likes it when s/he has to close his doors permanently because s/he isn't having any customers come and visit.. Wouldn't hurt my feelings, wasn't a good place to eat anyway! If the media wouldn't relay all this crap, the world would be a better place!

The restaurant industry can ill afford to lose any customers at this point. Gas prices are hammering a lot of people who normally eat out on a regular basis, but can't afford to anymore. A friend of mine from high school is an executive with a restaurant chain. I almost bought stock in his company a couple of years ago. I'm glad I didn't it. It has lost about 40 percent of its value since last summer.

As for the media, I think 3A Down Low can be considered a "medium" and I would not want outlets such as this shut down, although that may be where we are headed. I can see a day coming when only the U.S. government-approved Fox News Channel is on in all public places.

Ranger Mom
05-02-2006, 08:37 AM
According to the newspaper, 2 Mexican restaurants were closed in Midland. All grocery stores and both Wal-marts reported business as usual.

One of these restaurants is privately owned, not sure about the other one...I have never eaten at either of them. I would think the only ones they hurt finanacially was themself.

Midland seems to have a Mexican Restaurant on every corner, the closing of just those 2 didn't impact anyone except those who worked at one of those restaurants!

zeus63
05-02-2006, 10:41 AM
I had 2 kids absent out of my classes all day (one of which was white)

EricDraven
05-02-2006, 12:06 PM
there was a protest/boycott? How can you walk out on a job, when you don't WORK!

pirate44
05-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
I had 2 kids absent out of my classes all day (one of which was white)
maybe the white kid was canadian

EricDraven
05-02-2006, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
maybe the white kid was canadian :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gobbla2001
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
I heard traffic was decent in the early morning hours...

And by the sounds of it I'm pretty sure that the parking garages/lots in the area in Houston where the major rally was had their best business day ever... good job folk!!!

zeus63
05-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
maybe the white kid was canadian

No, this kid just isn't very bright.

griff
05-02-2006, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by bccards

bccards, thanks for stating this. I lived for many years in Beaumont and still get back there several times a year. My wife and I frequented that restaurant often. Thanks for passing on the word about what the owner did. I will never eat there again.

pirate44
05-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by zeus63
No, this kid just isn't very bright.
same thing :D

EricDraven
05-02-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm protesting by not getting my truck washed.

SintonFan_inAustin
05-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Nope. All it did was take up a lot of air time on all of the major news networks and that's about all that bothered me.

just because u didnt notice it dont mean others didnt noticed it either, pick up a USA today paper or caller times and read how others felt about it. But no it didnt affect me and my wife did mention one of them was not coming in and she is a legal worker here, she has a green card, but my wife told here it be wise to come in to work. She did come in but some didnt but not because of the protest they just call in sick

BigTex
05-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I made it a point to eat at the Mexican food restaurant in our town that did not close! All of their help is Mexican or Mexican-American. They were fully staffed and I left a larger than usual tip to show my appreciation for the good service and the fact they chose to remain open

lepfan
05-02-2006, 11:37 PM
There was one restaurant that closed yesterday...they are usually packed for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This morning there was 1 car in the lot for breakfast....at lunch time when I drove by there were NO cars there...around 11:45...this us usually a busy time for them....AND tonight at 5:30 and then at 6:30 there were only about 1 or 2 cars there! It appears their closing ticked these rednecks off up here.

SintonFan
05-02-2006, 11:41 PM
I wasn't affected...

sinfan75
05-03-2006, 05:07 AM
I went to Leons monday morning to get some tacos and they were closed. So I went and ate at Freddies. Yesterday morning I headed toward Leons and then decided to hell with em. I'll never eat there again. Freddies is better any ways.

NHSRattler60
05-03-2006, 05:15 AM
Well......I really wasn't affected at all.

At least not directly.

pirate44
05-03-2006, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I went to Leons monday morning to get some tacos and they were closed. So I went and ate at Freddies. Yesterday morning I headed toward Leons and then decided to hell with em. I'll never eat there again. Freddies is better any ways.
thats too bad. i kinda liked that place. i dont understand why a small town place would close for something like that.

Old Tiger
05-03-2006, 08:13 AM
No, I don't think I was.

raider red 2000
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
i personally wasnt effected in anyway.
most of us in small towns weren't

I talked to my dad who marched in Lubbock and he said that there was a huge crowd there. he said that it was the largest politcal protest that lubbock has ever seen.

he said that the group of people marching were stretched out oover about 7 blocks.....and held up traffic at a major intersection for about 20 minutes.

he said that there were not many bussiness shut down, but that he that it was awesome.

Z motion 10 out on 2
05-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I had my truck worked on. The owner of the shop (Who is Hispanic) told me to pick it up on Monday. I went in Monday and the place was closed. I couldn't get my truck. I was wondering what happened and then when I got home and turned on the TV and saw all the protesting. I realized the owner of the mechanic shop must have closed down for the day. Not that he was at some rally in Vernon but as a show of solidarity. No harm done to me and I got my truck on Tuesday.

raider red 2000
05-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Z- you are better than me....i would have been pretty pissed :)

eagle.eyes
05-03-2006, 06:52 PM
It affected me.....couldn't find anyone to mow the yard.......roof the house........sheetrock the living room.......bus my table.......pour my slab......OR........rotate my tires. I'm sorry Lord, I apologize, and be with the starving pigmies down in New Guinea.

pirate44
05-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by eagle.eyes
It affected me.....couldn't find anyone to mow the yard.......roof the house........sheetrock the living room.......bus my table.......pour my slab......OR........rotate my tires. I'm sorry Lord, I apologize, and be with the starving pigmies down in New Guinea.
shoulda called me. ive aced the art of drywall. like grandfather, like grandson:)

olddawggreen
05-03-2006, 07:59 PM
I heard there were a number of kids that stayed out of school in Burnet. I wonder who came out the loser on that deal?:weeping: :weeping:

Buccaneer
05-03-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by sinfan75
I went there Monday also to pick up a taco for breakfast and realized they were closed to protest. I went to Little Mexico. You cant get a better breakfast for a lower price anywhere in Sinton!