PDA

View Full Version : Has this already been posted? ( Teddy R.)

lepfan
05-01-2006, 03:28 PM
99 years later. What a visionary that Teddy R.!!!

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 03:39 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Gobbler Fan
05-01-2006, 03:47 PM
OK no more German , French , Spanish , Dutch, Polish , Arabic , Japanese , Chinese ,ect ect ect shall be spoken from this day forward . Lets not stop there lets do away with anything not totally American ---Business, Holiday's,Vehicles, Oil , Gas ,Lets bring our troop's home and establish a perimiter around the US to guard the border along with that lets send all the immigrants home that are Illegal even if it is great grandma ....sorry grammy you dont belong here .......(sarcasm)

Ranger Mom
05-01-2006, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
OK no more German , French , Spanish , Dutch, Polish , Arabic , Japanese , Chinese ,ect ect ect shall be spoken from this day forward .

Can I still speak pig latin??

Atthay isay ethay onlyay otheray anguagelay Iay owknay??

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
OK no more German , French , Spanish , Dutch, Polish , Arabic , Japanese , Chinese ,ect ect ect shall be spoken from this day forward . Lets not stop there lets do away with anything not totally American ---Business, Holiday's,Vehicles, Oil , Gas ,Lets bring our troop's home and establish a perimiter around the US to guard the border along with that lets send all the immigrants home that are Illegal even if it is great grandma ....sorry grammy you dont belong here .......(sarcasm)

So is the whole post sarcasm cuz it sure seems like it. Either way I can't dignify that with a response...it's just mindless ramblings...

Oh and congrats on 700...almost half way to the avatar! :thumbsup:

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Can I still speak pig latin??

Atthay isay ethay onlyay otheray anguagelay Iay owknay??

You can speak anything you want...if you whisper it to Reggie! ;)

Ranger Mom
05-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
So is the whole post sarcasm cuz it sure seems like it. Either way I can't dignify that with a response...it's just mindless ramblings...

I agree! Hence, my pig latin post!!:p

Gobbler Fan
05-01-2006, 03:59 PM
Pig Latin is allowed:D ----my post's dont need your approval I dont believe Adidas

Gobbler Fan
05-01-2006, 04:01 PM
700 posts wow ----lol ty

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 04:04 PM
my post's dont need your approval I dont believe Adidas

and I wasn't offering any...

NHSRattler60
05-01-2006, 04:09 PM
I do think that it's over the top, but that's just me.....

Gobbler Fan
05-01-2006, 04:09 PM
no did I ask for it or have Iever asked for , just goes to show some people dont need your input after all ...:D

Gobbler Fan
05-01-2006, 04:10 PM
Over the top yes but truthfull to a point

NHSRattler60
05-01-2006, 04:18 PM
I dunno..... Teddy meant everyone should learn english, not that everyone should speak ONLY english.

I do believe the National Anthem should only be (sung? sang?) in English.

Phil C
05-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Let's everyone be politically correct here! :mad:

Gobbler Fan
05-01-2006, 04:24 PM
Hell I get upset during a parade when people dont stand up when the flag and Veterans are passing by or during any sporting event and men dont take off their hats .......hell yes it should only be sung in English :clap:

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Hell I get upset during a parade when people dont stand up when the flag and Veterans are passing by or during any sporting event and men dont take off their hats .......hell yes it should only be sung in English :clap:

So people can live their lives speaking all sorts of languages in this country as long as they don't sing the National Anthem in a foreign tongue? That's only a little bit of a double standard...:rolleyes:

lepfan
05-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Speak whatever language you want to in your own home/family...but if you are going to need to me and you can't speak or understand English (while in the United States) then you damn well better bring a translator with you. I personally think when we stop enabling some they will pick it up....those who don't speak English should pay for their own translators...not me....I don't need the translator. Now if I am in another country and don't speak their language I will hire a translator or bring my own to help me!

DISCLAIMER: Not intended to offend anyone...these are just my opinions...

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by lepfan

Oh stop being so dang Politically Correct! :mad: ;)

lepfan
05-01-2006, 04:50 PM
So people can live their lives speaking all sorts of languages in this country as long as they don't sing the National Anthem in a foreign tongue? That's only a little bit of a double standard...:rolleyes: They can sing it in whatever language they want...but when in a public setting and it is to be sung...it should be English....We don't need any of this side by side junk.

lepfan
05-01-2006, 04:50 PM
Oh stop being so dang Politically Correct! :mad: ;) I 'learnt' many years ago to put a disclaimer on my comments... :)

NHSRattler60
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
So people can live their lives speaking all sorts of languages in this country as long as they don't sing the National Anthem in a foreign tongue? That's only a little bit of a double standard...:rolleyes:

No, The National Anthem was written in English. Not Spanish.

That's it...... new thread commin up.

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by lepfan
Speak whatever language you want to in your own home/family...but if you are going to need to me and you can't speak or understand English (while in the United States) then you damn well better bring a translator with you. I personally think when we stop enabling some they will pick it up....those who don't speak English should pay for their own translators...not me....I don't need the translator. Now if I am in another country and don't speak their language I will hire a translator or bring my own to help me!

I agree with you...especially about the enabling of it. My best friend is from Taiwan and he dang sure didn't have any ESL class that he was able to take when he moved into Wylie schools in the 1st grade...his sister in the 6th grade. They just had to learn the language and "how to survive" in their new surroundings. If you talked to them today...you would never know that they were born and spent their "childhood development" years in Taiwan learning to speak Manderan and Taiwanese. Yes they still speak their native languages amongst family most of the time...but they knew very well that they would have to learn "the ways of America" if they wanted to "make it" in America.

Ranger Mom
05-01-2006, 07:19 PM
We had a girl move to Greenwood who only spoke Spanish, I am pretty sure the only translators she had were the other Spanish speaking kids in that class.

At the end of the year, she was pretty darn fluent in English....it's amazing what you can do when you have no other choice!!

NateDawg39
05-01-2006, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Let's everyone be politically correct here! :mad: You would say that! I would respond in an according manor as well.

lepfan
05-01-2006, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
....it's amazing what you can do when you have no other choice!! immersion (did I spell that right?) It is amazing how you learn to 'deal with issues' when you have no other choice....

A restaurant closed today "in support of the immigrants" Now this is a town of 1800 people and I am not sure this restaurant will be in business in a few months....everyone is ticked off and is boycotting them! Talk about something biting you in the butt....