PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone hear about the Llano Liberty Hill game?

BHS#1
11-03-2003, 02:08 PM
I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Llano's penalty for celebrating after the score and got a 15 yard penalty. Which in turn gave LH good field position and the go ahead score. I not trying to start something I just don't understand what happened?

The Guru
11-03-2003, 02:17 PM
That must have been why LH returned the KO to the Llano 43. The 72 yard td run was huge for LH. That accounted for the majority of their yards.Liberty Hill avoids a stinging loss (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/sports_f33a96533425c17f0079.html)

espn1
11-03-2003, 03:10 PM
BHS#1:
I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Llano's penalty for celebrating after the score and got a 15 yard penalty. Which in turn gave LH good field position and the go ahead score. I not trying to start something I just don't understand what happened?It was a highly questionable call.

BHS#1
11-03-2003, 08:15 PM
ttt

LH Panther Mom
11-03-2003, 09:31 PM
The Guru:
That must have been why LH returned the KO to the Llano 43. The 72 yard td run was huge for LH. That accounted for the majority of their yards.Liberty Hill avoids a stinging loss (http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/auto/epaper/editions/saturday/sports_f33a96533425c17f0079.html)The 72 yard TD run had absolutely nothing to do with the celebration penalty and the ensuing return of the KO to the Llano 43. The 72 yd TD came at 2:44 left in the 4th, making the score 14-13, LH. Llano scored several plays later, score now 19-14, Llano. That is when they received the celebration penalty. LH scored the final TD with :15 left in the game. 20 points total were scored in 45:16; 19 points scored in 2:44. It just goes to show you 1) you can never lay down & 2) it takes 48 minutes to play a football game.

LH Panther Mom
11-03-2003, 09:38 PM
BHS#1:
I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Llano's penalty for celebrating after the score and got a 15 yard penalty. Which in turn gave LH good field position and the go ahead score. I not trying to start something I just don't understand what happened?To answer as to what happened - we typically sit around the 50, 2-3 rows from the top, which is generally a good view of the field. Whatever the cause of the penalty, we could not see it, so it must've been on the other side of all the players.

PAINTBALL
11-04-2003, 12:36 AM
LH Panther Mom:

BHS#1:
I was listening to the radio and they were talking about Llano's penalty for celebrating after the score and got a 15 yard penalty. Which in turn gave LH good field position and the go ahead score. I not trying to start something I just don't understand what happened?To answer as to what happened - we typically sit around the 50, 2-3 rows from the top, which is generally a good view of the field. Whatever the cause of the penalty, we could not see it, so it must've been on the other side of all the players.That's one possibility. Another possibility is you didn't see anything because nothing happened to warrant the penalty.

LH Panther Mom
11-04-2003, 06:27 AM
You're correct, Paintball, that is another possibility. I also didn't notice any questioning of the call at the time. There are schools that have a reputation for "funny" officiating, such as Wimberley (no offense intended), but I've not seen that in LH. I have seen a few questionable calls here over the years, none that could really be called game breakers, but I've also noticed times where penalties were missed - my son should have been called for illegal motion last year and wasn't.

BHS#1, on the radio did they mention why the penalty was assessed? Just imagine what would've happened if all PAT's (Llano missed 2, we missed 1) had been made - tie ballgame with :15. I'm not trying to downplay the game - Llano played tough.

BHS#1
11-04-2003, 07:38 AM
They said it was for celebrating I believe it was on the Compton-Hoff TD pass which was the first for LLano this year.

LH Panther Mom
11-04-2003, 08:12 AM
They deserved to celebrate; sometimes in games, the celebration is worth the penalty. The one we got last year was definitely worth the 15 yards.

BHS#1
11-04-2003, 08:48 AM
Do you think LH would have won the game without it?

JCM
11-04-2003, 09:12 AM
I saw the game. Llano got worked. I hate to see an officials call affect the outcome of a game. Llano had out-played Liberty Hill and had just thrown a pass for a TD to go ahead 19-14 with about 1 minute left in the game. The kids were excited and they jumped on the receiver and were flagged. The "excessive celebration" rule sucks.