PDA

View Full Version : Deadwood

PPHSfan
04-30-2006, 08:01 PM
New season begins in June, and I can't Friggin wait.

slpybear the bullfan
04-30-2006, 08:04 PM
Deadwood is one $#^&% #&@%%$& Show! Those $%^&#*@! cowboys and #$^%@*@ ladies really do a great *&$*&#@@ impression of life in the #^$&* old $&^%#&^%# West.

:D :rolleyes:

turbostud
04-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Was there really that much cussin in the Old West?

PPHSfan
04-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by turbostud

It's not just the cussin that makes it great. It's HOW they cuss with such a mastery of the english language.

BreckTxLonghorn
04-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Is Season 2 on DVD yet? I don't get HBO, so I have to wait until they come out to watch them all at once.

slpybear the bullfan
05-01-2006, 12:22 PM

Great Question Turbo!

I have spent 20 years doing historical research on American History with a specialty in Mid-19th Century stuff... mainly American Civil War. What I have found is that most movies and novels do not really show the true life of men... particularly soldiers and the good ol cowboys.

I can assure you that all of the off-color language, jokes, pictures, etc. was definitely in use back in those days. And lots of it. When researching it becomes pretty clear that most folks cleaned up their retelling of stories to victorian era standards. And from the various letters and diaries you read you can see that most men knew the differences between accepted behaviour when "hanging with the boys" as opposed to general public... at least in settled areas where society had a chance to establish itself.

But when they were around each other... it was pretty bad. As I said earlier, pretty much everything we say, read, see today they did the same. Their letters and diaries are pretty revealing.

There are a few book written now that go into great detail about this subject. One of the best is called, "The Story the Soldiers Wouldn't Tell." It goes into detail about those venerated veterans of the civil war... and you learn they were just like young men of all times... human. They talked horribly, pursued all the things young men do, etc.

BUT... this doesn't make them "bad" in my eyes. Just human. And it makes them just that much more special to me.

Bullaholic
05-01-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
New season begins in June, and I can't Friggin wait.

Interesting.....I didn't know that "Friggin" was a "proper" psuedo-profanity noun requiring capitalization.

slpybear the bullfan
05-01-2006, 01:46 PM

Great Question Turbo!

I have spent 20 years doing historical research on American History with a specialty in Mid-19th Century stuff... mainly American Civil War. What I have found is that most movies and novels do not really show the true life of men... particularly soldiers and the good ol cowboys.

I can assure you that all of the off-color language, jokes, pictures, etc. was definitely in use back in those days. And lots of it. When researching it becomes pretty clear that most folks cleaned up their rete

Bullaholic
05-01-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Great Question Turbo!

I can assure you that all of the off-color language, jokes, pictures, etc. was definitely in use back in those days. And lots of it. When researching it becomes pretty clear that most folks cleaned up their rete

So true, slpy.....and many are probably not aware of the "less than savory" behavior by many of our "folk" heros such as Wyatt Earp, who I heard had that extra-long barrell "Buntline" special pistol made because he loved to "whack" cowboys over the head with it just for "fun". Many accounts of old-west gunfights have been "romanticized" also. A lot of the time those old "cowboys" would lie in wait and shoot somebody they didn't like in the back or anywhere else they could in a fight.