PDA

View Full Version : Elgin's New Offense

Matthew328
04-24-2003, 11:11 AM
I saw on The Old Coach that Elgin may be installing the single wing offense....boy that would be interesting.....I wonder how effective it would be....I am pretty sure not many defensive coordinators would know how to prepare for that kind of offense...I personally don't know the in's and out's of the offense..but I would definatley try and see that offense in action! Talk about a throw back!

Old Cardinal
04-24-2003, 12:43 PM
Matt, I watched Elgin get beat really bad by Bridge City in the playoffs. They had some of the top speed in the Playoff teams, yet were running from a tight little backfield that was certainly not condusive to their talent base. I think that they certainly will have an opportunity to do a better job on offense, in a single wing or any other wider set offense...Its strange watching HS ball, Kountze set up in a wishbone set, yet never ran any of the famous wishbone-options plays, who knows why?...Jasper had great offense talent yet they ran very few offensive plays because the offensive Coaches ran the clock down on each play with all sorts of handwaving signals. Had the players been allowed another 10 or so more offensive plays, it would have been of help to the team, in their few losses. I salute the Elgin Coaches for recognizing their talent and trying to spring that run-away talent with a new offensive set.

sinton66
04-24-2003, 05:16 PM
Matthew, if it's the single wing I'm familiar with, the ball is centered directly to a running back, and EVERYBODY else blocks. I've only seen it once, and that was down at the 1A level out in the San Angelo area. Believe it was Gorman that ran it quite effectively (Beat my Miles team 48-7 in a playoff game). Takes one hoss with LOTS of speed to burn. Defensively, LB's have to plug up the holes(VERY quickly). If you bring the DB's up, then they throw on you.

Lombardi
04-24-2003, 06:32 PM
Old Card. You don't have a clue.I saw Elgin play 7 times this year and they had 2 guys that could run.One who touched the ball every snap and another who averaged about 10 carries a game at the games I witnessed. The QB was fast but weighed about 120 lbs and could not throw a lick. I even saw the stomping you talk about against Bridge City. Wasn't it 14-7 at halftime.I think the coaches did the right thing with their talent.I promise you Jasper has tons more speed than Elgin did but I guess BC found that out the next week.Then I watched Jasper get Throttled by Burnet the next week. To make it worse I watch Everman stomp Burnet the next week.My point is I do not understand why you rip the coaches when you base your knowledge on one game.They did something right are they wouldn't have been there to begin with. Nobody gets on this board and criticizes BC's offensive scheme when they get beat by Jasper.Please think before you criticize. I do not think this board was intended for that purpose. Good Luck and keep your focus on your Cards. I promise you Elgin will not run the single wing. Their coaches are to smart to do that.

dog eat dog
04-24-2003, 07:03 PM
i heard elgin was installing the spread offense like the one texas tech runs. don't know if its true but sure is a change.

Old Cardinal
04-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Dear Vince Lombardi, I was complimenting the Elgin Coaches for making a change next year. That shows good choices based on the overall picture,of the great talent, in my humble opinion.

<small>[ April 24, 2003, 11:33 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

PPHSfan
04-24-2003, 11:32 PM
Hey Matt, you use the word NEW kinda loosely don't you? :D

Lombardi
04-25-2003, 08:27 AM
what is your interpretation of great talent? BC had the best two football players on the field the game I saw. You said they needed to run an offense more conducive to their talent. The players you are speaking of are seniors.Coaches have a tough enough job as it is. Let's let them make the decisions and not bash. I do.Good luck to the cards.

texcaj
04-25-2003, 08:43 AM
I have to admit, the great play out of the stack I is when the sniffer picks up the 120 lb qb and pushes him up behind the center, and then the fb pushes him from behind for the first down. That third back can also add some needed leverage on that play. Too bad it's illegal!

Pudlugger
04-25-2003, 11:24 AM
sinton66:
Matthew, if it's the single wing I'm familiar with, the ball is centered directly to a running back, and EVERYBODY else blocks. I've only seen it once, and that was down at the 1A level out in the San Angelo area. Believe it was Gorman that ran it quite effectively (Beat my Miles team 48-7 in a playoff game). Takes one hoss with LOTS of speed to burn. Defensively, LB's have to plug up the holes(VERY quickly). If you bring the DB's up, then they throw on you.You are right Sinton66, it is an offense designed around one exceptional athlete. I played against a single wing team in high school in 1964. The "hoss" was a guy named Bobby Bonds. He ran passed and kicked the football as well as he played baseball.

Old Cardinal
04-25-2003, 06:09 PM
Maybe the greatest single wing HS running back in Texas history was Julian Garrett from Raymondville. He lugged the ball every play for 3 years, never coming out of the game...He went on to Texas Univ. and became a great Tackle on a #1 rated Texas team....It takes a tough individual to carry the ball every play! I will tell you one thing you don't see that Offense throwing any "brush" blocks, on a winning team. I personally would not mind the team I pull for adding a half dozen single wing plays, just to test the defense occasionally. If nothing else, it would cause the defenses that face them to have to deal with an alien offense, that they have never faced, in their pregame preparation.