PDA

View Full Version : Merkel 35 -- Clyde 6

Knightmoon
09-06-2003, 11:24 PM
Congradulations Merkel Badgers!!! Once again, the defense looked awesome. I really expected this to be a much better game. The game next Friday against Ballinger should be the true test. Merkel did look good. Over 500 yards on offense. They really held Clyde scoreless till late in the 4th quarter. Merkel had some subs in. Great game and looking forward to next week. Merkel just might get some recognition yet.

wildstangs
09-06-2003, 11:36 PM
Ballinger by 3 TD's.

Knightmoon
09-06-2003, 11:52 PM
That's funny!!! It may be Merkel by 14. Merkel will have 3 interceptions, and 200 yards rushing and 200 yards receiving.Merkel is a better team than anyone wants to give them credit for. Wildstang-- wish I could bet you lunch. This should be Ballinger's year. I know they have a good team. I just don't think they will beat Merkel. Merkel vs Ballinger last year was a story of two halves. Ballinger owned the 1st half, Merkel the second. Merkel got burned on three passes last year. That won't happen. Merkel's defense is for real. They have a great defensive line. They have an even better linebacker corp and their secondary should get state honors. Wait and see. I am also saying Merkel will not place 2nd or 3rd in their district this year. They will win it outright. Being from Merkel we are accustomed to being underated. We like it that way.

wildstangs
09-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Please. Did you see what Seminole did to Monahans this week. The same Monahans team Merkel barely got by.

wildstangs
09-06-2003, 11:58 PM
We can bet lunch. Which one of Merekels two fast food joints are you going to take me to? Subway or Dairy Queen?

Knightmoon
09-07-2003, 12:06 AM
Very funny. I was thinking more of Joe Allen's. I like a good steak.

Knightmoon
09-07-2003, 12:15 AM
I wouldn't say Merkel just barely got by Monahans. We made some key mistakes like fumbling inside the 10 twice. They played a much tighter game and supposedly a better team with Clyde. Be careful what you say about Monahans. Merkel stomped them last year and they went on to go further in the playoffs than any other area team, including Ballinger, with the exception of Sweetwater. And I might add, Merkel will destroy Seminole. That game should be Merkel 28 - Seminole 7. NEXT!!!!

wildstangs
09-07-2003, 04:35 PM
Monahans and Ballinger both lost in round 3 last year.

Chief Woodman
09-07-2003, 04:39 PM
What was the score Merkel VS Monahans? If it was less than a TD, you barely got by. How many time you turn the ball over means nadda. Final score does.

wildstangs
09-07-2003, 04:46 PM
Chief Woodman:
What was the score Merkel VS Monahans? If it was less than a TD, you barely got by. How many time you turn the ball over means nadda. Final score does.Merkel won it 14-6.

Chief Woodman
09-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Thats a TD with a 2 point PAT. Not exactly a whooping.

wildstangs
09-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Chief Woodman:
Thats a TD with a 2 point PAT. Not exactly a whooping.The Badgers got a win, but looks like it was difficult to me. Seminole, who is in Merkel's district, beat Monahans 41-16 on Friday night. Now that was a whopping.

vet93
09-07-2003, 09:54 PM
This ought to be a good matchup. Merkel had a super game last friday against an up and coming Clyde ball club. They dominated them pretty well according to the score and stats. I look for this game to be a much much stronger test than the Bangs game for Ballinger. It is the first home game for Ballinger so hopefully we will have a good crowd on hand. Normally I would say that playing at home was an advantage but last year we lost 3 of our 5 games at home...hopefully this year we can break open that trend!

ClydeFan
09-08-2003, 09:47 AM
Congrats on the win, Knightmoon. It was a disappointing game to see, as I expected a much closer game. I know that Clyde can and will play better than what they showed. The season is young, they are still adjusting to the new offense and the first year coach, and there is plenty of time for them to get things together before district starts. I'm not ready to write the season off yet!

Merkel does look very good this year. They came out looking fired up and scored on their first possession, then shut down Clyde's offense on their first possession, which seemed to set the tone for the rest of the game. I was very impressed with their defense, as it seemed they just didn't miss tackles.

The Ballinger-Merkel matchup should be a good game. I'd still have to give a slight edge to Ballinger based on their offensive weapons and that close game with Greenwood, but a Merkel victory would not shock me.

Knightmoon
09-09-2003, 08:20 PM
Thanks ClydeFan. I just hope the Merkel/Ballinger game is a good one. I really think it should be. Ballinger is a really good team. No doubt about it. Merkel is a better team than last year. Merkel's defense has been very stingy so far. We will see how well they fair against Antonio Posey and crew. I do think it will be a much better game than anyone is expecting. Merkel sputtered on offense against Monahans-Hopefully,and it looks like they did, got past their first game mistakes. Merkel has 4 really good running backs.We'll just have to see how it goes. I wish them the best. Who does Clyde play this week? or do they have an open week? I agree ClydeFan, there is a whole lot of football left to play. Clyde should be okay in their district. Everyone might want to keep an eye on Comanche. They apparently have a better team than what Dave Campbell gave them credit for--Wylie too. This should be Ballinger's year. Posey being a senior. They were knocking on the door last year. Good luck to all Friday. Remember, its all about having fun.

ClydeFan
09-10-2003, 11:46 AM
Knightmoon, Clyde plays at 2A Stamford. Stamford took a major beating last Friday and had a 73-0 loss to 3A Breckenridge. I'm not looking for a close game, needless to say.

You are right about Comanche being stronger than expected. I thought Wylie was under-rated going into this season and it seems they have an even better team than last year, as does Ballinger. Brady is improved over last year also.

Good luck to all the teams. There are some great matchups this Friday night and it's too bad I can't be in more than one place at once!

Z motion 10 out on 2
09-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Tough district for sure. Say what type of offense is Clyde running now?