PDA

View Full Version : I will be at work May 1st

TheDOCTORdre
04-29-2006, 01:22 PM
***DISCLAIMER: This is not a political post and is not meant to be taken as one it is a post directed towards idiots***

I don't know where to start with this one, so i guess I will start by saying this is not meant to be a political commentary. Secondly, I would like to say, and yes I say it proudly I am Mexican American. And thirdly, I would like to say to the idiots across America, "Get a freakin' clue!" On Monday May 1, 2006 America will see a protest which is being called "A Day Without A Latino", a day in which all Latinos are asked to not attend work in order to send a message to across the country protesting a bill that would criminalise illegal immigration. Now I had heard of the protest in little blurbs in the past couple of weeks, but I was brought face to face with the issue of the protest Thursday night when I went to work at Wal-Mart. As I walked to the backroom I noticed a small group of hispanic associates standing around and having what I thought to be just some general chit chat, but as I got closer to the group, I was asked this question, "Andres you coming to work on Monday?" A question which I answered with no hesitation, "Of course I am, Monday is just another day." I then heard, "oh I guess you haven't heard about it, on Monday no hispanics are supposed to go to work." To which I responded, "Oh, I know what you're talking about, that protest thing." When I called it a protest thing, you would have thought I would have spoke blasphemy against God by the looks in my coworkers faces. Nonetheless I tried not to offend them because thats the kind of guy that I am and said that people have the right to protest if they want and that I wouldnt hold anything against people who would protest on Monday, and they had the right to if they wanted too. Then the stupid comments began, "What man are you not proud of where you came from, are you too good to protest with your people?" The last time I checked I was a legal American citizen and I have no reason to protest the criminalization of illegal immigration. Yes I realize I am Mexican American, but the noun there is American being described by the adjective Mexican, so therefore I am an American who is shaped by the his Mexican ancestory, not the other way around. Its like Spider-Man, he is a man who has spider characteristics. If that wasn't enough stupidity I heard this comment next, "We need to show this counrty what its going to be like without any Latinos in it." By this time I could not hold my tongue anymore because this my friends is one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard in my life, unless I am mistaken, and if I am forgive me please but I was unaware that there was a bill trying to be passed to kick out all people of Latino origin or descent out of America. You know why I am unaware of that bill...because there isnt one. Yes to all of you protesting on Monday, I have nothing against you if you know what you're talking about and what you're protesting. In all reality though few people have a clue on what they're protesting on Monday, and they're just using it as an excuse to take off of work and drink some beer and "support the cause", even though they have no idea what the cause is. If you want to take the day off and drink some beer do it on Friday and celebrate Cinco de Mayo, (which by the way is not Mexican Independence Day but thats another story.) I got another great idea for those of y'all who want to "support the cause" on Monday, how about you support your family instead. Yes, how bout you show up to work on Monday and make some money to put some food on the table. And you know whats funny...when people get there check for the pay period including May 1, there will be those idiots who are wondering why there check came up short...hmmmm I dont know why you didnt make as much money on this check, maybe its because you skipped a day of work. Like I said earlier I have no problem if you want to protest on Monday and I will not hold it against you if you do, as long as you know what you are protesting. If you want you can protest a bill that would criminalise an illegal activity (I dunno why you would have a problem with an illegal activity being a crime but if you do you have the right to protest.) I am Mexican American, and am proud of who I am but I will be at work on Monday, and trust me I hate my job, I work at Wal-Mart, but you will still find me working on Monday.

Hugs and Hand Pounds

-Dre

District303aPastPlayer
04-29-2006, 01:29 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

LH Panther Mom
04-29-2006, 01:32 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: I must applaud you for that, Dre. You've got pride in your ancestry, but a good head on your shoulders and understand what it means to be an American. :)

SintonFan_inAustin
04-29-2006, 01:32 PM
The only mexican americans that will skip work monday would be the ones that dont know what its about and the ones looking for a excuse to skip work, but come paycheck time they be wondering why the heck they miss on monday.

Ranger Mom
04-29-2006, 01:34 PM
That was an AWESOME post Andres!!

Two thumbs up!!

griff
04-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Good word, Doc!

Blastoderm55
04-29-2006, 01:37 PM
I'll be going to work, and after work, I'll be going to fill up my car with Exxon gas at The Pantry North. :D

big daddy russ
04-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Amen, Dre.

LH Panther Mom
04-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I'll be going to work, and after work, I'll be going to fill up my car with Exxon gas at The Pantry North. :D
:clap: ROFL! :D

Ranger Mom
04-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

You little rebel!!;)

Bullaholic
04-29-2006, 01:49 PM
You can come to work for me ANYTIME, Andres. You have a responsible perspective beyond your years, and I applaud you for it. Thanks for being an American first, and a Mexican-American, second. This nation was made great by persons of all nationalities and heritages----all of them should have an "appreciation" day. You are a fine young man with principles and I think your fellow Hispanic co-workers are confusing ancestral pride with sense of responsibility.

Maroon87
04-29-2006, 02:41 PM
Well put Dre! I agree completely.:clap:

sww-bull52
04-29-2006, 02:46 PM
The Dr has spoken. Well said Dre. Alot of people confuse privleges with rights. That includes ALL Americans regardless of skin color.

sahen
04-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I nominate Dre F.A.N.T.O.M. speech writer! he can be the doc and a writer right?

sww-bull52
04-29-2006, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by sahen
I nominate Dre F.A.N.T.O.M. speech writer! he can be the doc and a writer right?

I'm not sure what it is, but I second the motion.

sinton66
04-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Your approach and attitude are dead-on, Dre. I believe that is all any good sense right-thinking American citizen could expect from immigrants hoping to become citizens. If you are a citizen, you are American first. If you want to be an American citizen, you should put America first. There is nothing what so ever wrong with having pride in your ancestry, it is what has made you what you are. The question you have provided the answer to is where are the priorities.

Bravo, Dre. Well spoken. I'll even add an "outstanding!".;)

Gobbla2001
04-29-2006, 04:56 PM
Whoa... that was good Dre...

I'm goin' to work Monday too... but I'm not Latino, I'm Texan....

pirate44
04-29-2006, 06:39 PM
i wonder if i moved to Mexico, if my decendants 2, 3 or 4 generations down would call themselves American Mexicans. (or because of my wife's ancestry be called Mexican-American-Mexicans) im glad i dont have any urge to label myself an English-American, or a Czech-American or even a Choctaw-American. But to each his own.

KingRob
04-29-2006, 07:10 PM
I just don't understand why they are asking everyone to wear white. White makes me look fat, and it's hard to hide those freaking salsa stains! I think it's all very silly!;) :p

West22
04-29-2006, 08:59 PM
DOC, YOUR POST WAS ONE OF THE MOST INTELLECTUAL THAT I HAVE SEEN .KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.ALL THAT PEOPLE WONT IS FOR THE IMMIGRANTS TO COME INTO THE SYSTEM WITHOUT BREAKING THE LAW.

pirate4state
04-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
***DISCLAIMER: This is not a political post and is not meant to be taken as one it is a post directed towards idiots***

I don't know where to start with this one, so i guess I will start by saying this is not meant to be a political commentary. Secondly, I would like to say, and yes I say it proudly I am Mexican American. And thirdly, I would like to say to the idiots across America, "Get a freakin' clue!" On Monday May 1, 2006 America will see a protest which is being called "A Day Without A Latino", a day in which all Latinos are asked to not attend work in order to send a message to across the country protesting a bill that would criminalise illegal immigration. Now I had heard of the protest in little blurbs in the past couple of weeks, but I was brought face to face with the issue of the protest Thursday night when I went to work at Wal-Mart. As I walked to the backroom I noticed a small group of hispanic associates standing around and having what I thought to be just some general chit chat, but as I got closer to the group, I was asked this question, "Andres you coming to work on Monday?" A question which I answered with no hesitation, "Of course I am, Monday is just another day." I then heard, "oh I guess you haven't heard about it, on Monday no hispanics are supposed to go to work." To which I responded, "Oh, I know what you're talking about, that protest thing." When I called it a protest thing, you would have thought I would have spoke blasphemy against God by the looks in my coworkers faces. Nonetheless I tried not to offend them because thats the kind of guy that I am and said that people have the right to protest if they want and that I wouldnt hold anything against people who would protest on Monday, and they had the right to if they wanted too. Then the stupid comments began, "What man are you not proud of where you came from, are you too good to protest with your people?" The last time I checked I was a legal American citizen and I have no reason to protest the criminalization of illegal immigration. Yes I realize I am Mexican American, but the noun there is American being described by the adjective Mexican, so therefore I am an American who is shaped by the his Mexican ancestory, not the other way around. Its like Spider-Man, he is a man who has spider characteristics. If that wasn't enough stupidity I heard this comment next, "We need to show this counrty what its going to be like without any Latinos in it." By this time I could not hold my tongue anymore because this my friends is one of the stupidest comments I have ever heard in my life, unless I am mistaken, and if I am forgive me please but I was unaware that there was a bill trying to be passed to kick out all people of Latino origin or descent out of America. You know why I am unaware of that bill...because there isnt one. Yes to all of you protesting on Monday, I have nothing against you if you know what you're talking about and what you're protesting. In all reality though few people have a clue on what they're protesting on Monday, and they're just using it as an excuse to take off of work and drink some beer and "support the cause", even though they have no idea what the cause is. If you want to take the day off and drink some beer do it on Friday and celebrate Cinco de Mayo, (which by the way is not Mexican Independence Day but thats another story.) I got another great idea for those of y'all who want to "support the cause" on Monday, how about you support your family instead. Yes, how bout you show up to work on Monday and make some money to put some food on the table. And you know whats funny...when people get there check for the pay period including May 1, there will be those idiots who are wondering why there check came up short...hmmmm I dont know why you didnt make as much money on this check, maybe its because you skipped a day of work. Like I said earlier I have no problem if you want to protest on Monday and I will not hold it against you if you do, as long as you know what you are protesting. If you want you can protest a bill that would criminalise an illegal activity (I dunno why you would have a problem with an illegal activity being a crime but if you do you have the right to protest.) I am Mexican American, and am proud of who I am but I will be at work on Monday, and trust me I hate my job, I work at Wal-Mart, but you will still find me working on Monday.

Hugs and Hand Pounds

-Dre

:clap: Awesome!! I'll just add that I hate labels. Mexican-American, hispanic, latino...all that crap....hate it! :rolleyes: I was born and raised in AMERICA and more specifically TEXAS!! If I'm gonna label myself I'm gonna use TEXAN-AMERICAN!! :D :D

NHSRattler60
04-30-2006, 02:32 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/nhsrattler60/AmericaTheGreat.jpg

A True American

Diocletian
04-30-2006, 04:44 AM
too bad posting something like that here will get u nothing in life..........

why don't u make good use of your opinions and mail it to someone important, trying to altar our views here on the board will not help u in any of the troubles u stated, that is if your pride can handle being shot down time and time again by actual importance

PhiI C
04-30-2006, 08:15 AM
If this boycott catches on I wonder what will happen if Anglo Americans decide to boycott for a day.

Gobbla2001
04-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Diocletian

why don't u make good use of your opinions and mail it to someone important, trying to altar our views here on the board will not help u in any of the troubles u stated, that is if your pride can handle being shot down time and time again by actual importance

This whole boycott was most-likely started on the internet at places just like this...

Ranger Mom
04-30-2006, 09:38 AM

How do you know he hasn't done just that??

I know for a FACT this isn't the only place this is posted!

Bandera YaYa
04-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Well put Dre...I knew you were smart, the first time I met you.....you just wouldn't shut up!! :D :p :) Seriouly, you are a good American and a good man. Peace!! :thumbsup:

When I first heard of this planned boycott, I got really mad at the Mexican gov't who wont take care of it's own people. I wish the people of Mexico would revolt against their gov't who obviously don't care a dime for them. It's a real shame. But blaming Americans for this is not the solution. No country has done more for you then the US. I do pray for peaceful demonstrations. :(

Aesculus gilmus
04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
If you are a citizen, you are American first. If you want to be an American citizen, you should put America first.

Did you know that corporations are legal "persons" with all the rights granted their human counterparts and sometimes even more?

How many "American" corporations which have been chartered in the various states of this country routinely outsource and move their operations offshore?

The number is growing by the day. They are not putting America first. They are putting their own bottom lines first.

America as I knew it growing up is finished. Corporations have won. Even in this immigration debate, it is the corporate employers who will never be touched. Instead, the lower-middle-class "Anglos" and "Latinos" snipe at each other.

TheDOCTORdre
04-30-2006, 04:07 PM

you know i thought the same thing as soon as I got done reading your post, but just to humor you, I have sent in a more politically correct article to the newspaper, although I have yet to see them publish it and probably will not. I have sent a similar letter to the local chapter of LULAC (League of United Latin American Citizens) and have urged them to try and encourage latinos to no take part in the protest. So ya it may be looking like I am starting small by posting here on the DL but I assure you that it didnt stop there, and I will continue to make my opinion heard when I deem it necessary. And as far as my pride goes...it knows no ends and everytime I get shot down I will get up and take another hit because I'm Dre and thats what I do. And why don't you make good use of your opinions and keep them to yourself

Diocletian
04-30-2006, 04:56 PM
well that's good to hear......posting it may relieve some anger about the situation, but it seems your very intense about the people who will be skating out tommorz

Today i went to Jalisco mexican food rest. they have a sign that says they will closed tomroz for plumbing repairs, i asked to speak with the manager, and I told him "If you posted that sign then you have no pride in what u do. Why would u lie about it and try to cover up somthing like this."

Maybey u should go there and talk to them, at least u can make 10-15 peeps feel the same way you do.

I'm hearing on the news that everything relating to the US will be banned by Mexico, and all US products must not be purchased.....LOL come on this is sooooo stupid

Tomorz in my mind will be known as Hatewhiteyonceayearday from now on, and i'll go to work and laugh my arse off about it!

BTW i'm White-not that it means anything.........

District303aPastPlayer
04-30-2006, 11:14 PM
dre, i hope you dont mind that i posted this as a blog/bulletin on myspace.

spiveyrat
05-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
Did you know that corporations are legal "persons" with all the rights granted their human counterparts and sometimes even more?

How many "American" corporations which have been chartered in the various states of this country routinely outsource and move their operations offshore?

The number is growing by the day. They are not putting America first. They are putting their own bottom lines first.

America as I knew it growing up is finished. Corporations have won. Even in this immigration debate, it is the corporate employers who will never be touched. Instead, the lower-middle-class "Anglos" and "Latinos" snipe at each other.

We live in a global economy now. What about all the foreign companies that move work here? :thinking:

piratebg
05-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
:clap: Awesome!! I'll just add that I hate labels. Mexican-American, hispanic, latino...all that crap....hate it! :rolleyes: I was born and raised in AMERICA and more specifically TEXAS!! If I'm gonna label myself I'm gonna use TEXAN-AMERICAN!! :D :D

I'll second that P4S. I have always said that I am American first, and so is everyone else born in this great country. I'm not a big fan of the labelling and the groups who keep that racial boundary on the rocks(KKK, LULAC, NAACP, etc.)

Aesculus gilmus
05-01-2006, 08:12 AM
If everything is "global" why do we pretend that "America" matters anymore?

Check the balance of payments of "this country" (assuming you even think it exists anymore) and you will find that we are running $800+ billion annually in the Red—as in "Red" China.

Somehow or another this global corporatism isn't balancing out for the "global economy" formerly known as the United States of America.

Adidas410s
05-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state

Yeah I try having that same talk with people and they just don't get it. The one that irks me the most is "Native American." I look at it this way...I was born in America...my parents were...my grandparents were...and my great grandparents were born in America. To me that feels pretty American to me...but what do I know? :rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Dre, this has my vote for "post of the year"....

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/atil/forum/usa.gif

pirate4state
05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
I'm not a big fan of the labelling and the groups who keep that racial boundary on the rocks(KKK, LULAC, NAACP, etc.) :mad: Me either...bunch of IDIOTS if you ask me!! :mad:

raider red 2000
05-01-2006, 01:15 PM
i am sure that if minorities had a level playing field then they wouldnt have those groups.

Rich white people dont generally like rich or poor minorrities to join the fraternities of country clubs. Those groups can be used to serve the same purpose as the country clubs.

bash me if you like.

mistanice
05-01-2006, 01:20 PM
I can vouch for you comment as I work for a Country Club here. I see these kinds of things on a daily basis.

DU_stud04
05-01-2006, 01:26 PM
im mexican and im not going to work today....:D

i dont work tonight

good post dre:thumbsup: :smoker:

mistanice
05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Why did dre make such a generalized statement as they just want the day off so they can drink beer? what's that supposed to mean?

piratebg
05-01-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by mistanice
Why did dre make such a generalized statement as they just want the day off so they can drink beer? what's that supposed to mean?

I interpret this as some people will use the protest as an excuse to miss work/school and do absolutely nothing, and there will be.

NHSRattler60
05-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Anyway......... Good Post Dre.

Bullaholic
05-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
i am sure that if minorities had a level playing field then they wouldnt have those groups.

Rich white people dont generally like rich or poor minorrities to join the fraternities of country clubs. Those groups can be used to serve the same purpose as the country clubs.

bash me if you like.

Success in life can be compared to climbing a mountain. The path to the summit is tougher for some than others---but everybody has a chance to get there---some give up before they start or expect someone to give them a "ride" to the top. The successful persons of any race or socio-economic circumstances manage to overcome all obstacles in their path and make it to the summit. I once read the story of a poor, disavantaged Afro-American girl who grew up in the ghetto with a drug-user for a father and a prostitute for a mother, but many years later she was able to put "Dr." in front of her signature. I read the story of a little Vietnamese girl who was a "street urchin" in Saigon who spoke no English, but managed to find her way to America and 18 years later graduated 1st in the Corps of Cadets at West Point. Nobody can say it can't be done.

As for membership in exclusive, rich, and white only country clubs---it is not proper to discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, creed, relgion, sex, or national origin. However, it is also not proper for individuals to attempt to seek membership in organizations in which neither the organization nor the individual are benefited----such as girls attempting to become members of the Boy Scouts, and vice-versa.

raider red 2000
05-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Bull- I totally agree that people should not make excuses or look for handouts.

with hard work most people can be a success.

success can also be measured my different things. i know some people that graduating HS is a success and to others it is just something that has to get done. me for instance i didnt "walk" when i graduated college or finished grad school. it was just not that important to me.

other some can be successful by taking money giving to them and making more money.

i understand that girls should not join the boys scouts....they have something comparable....girls scout.

minorties should not be looked down upon for having their own clubs. LULAC and NAACP can do things to better some people.

we both know that in life in order to be a success you need help from others. just like a country club gives some people the opportunity to make contacts so do these other groups.

finally the mountain isnt the same for everybody. i was fortunate enough to have almost everything that i wanted growing up, but i was taught that it was ok to help others. I believe that i do a good job of helping others to be successful.

my mountain might not be as tall as someone elses. also, some people have both of their hands and feet tied together and have a larger mountain to climb.

TheDOCTORdre
05-01-2006, 09:10 PM
this statement was not meant to say that mexicans just want an excuse to drink, but some of my co-workers told me that all they were gonna do today was drink a whole bunch, cuz thats what "our people" are supposed to do

TheDOCTORdre
05-01-2006, 09:43 PM
And now since I work the night shift I will be off to work:)

espn1
05-01-2006, 09:51 PM
My mud men called and told me they weren't going to be at work today. He also told me he wanted to come by and pickup a check. I told him, I wasn't writing any checks today. I might not be available on Cinco de Mayo either. Two can play that game.

LH Panther Mom
05-01-2006, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by espn1
My mud men called and told me they weren't going to be at work today. He also told me he wanted to come by and pickup a check. I told him, I wasn't writing any checks today. I might not be available on Cinco de Mayo either. Two can play that game.
:clap: :clap: Good for you!

mistanice
05-01-2006, 09:54 PM
so when does two wrongs make a right?

espn1
05-01-2006, 10:01 PM
so when does two wrongs make a right? I'm never wrong. I'm the boss.
****Warning****
Don't let my wife read this.:D :D :D

espn1
05-01-2006, 10:03 PM
so when does two wrongs make a right?
All joking a side. To answer your question. When you cost me money.

Emerson1
05-01-2006, 10:09 PM
What was the point of protesting today? If they don't buy something today, they will have to eventually sometime soon. That's why a nation wide gas protest would never work, everyone would still end up filling their tanks up the next day.

mistanice
05-01-2006, 10:21 PM
So you're saying they decided to protest today? Are they legal? Nevermind, who would admit to hiring illegals.

Ranger Mom
05-01-2006, 10:31 PM
So you're saying they decided to protest today? Are they legal? Nevermind, who would admit to hiring illegals.

A girl I work with is the Administrator of a non-profit organization that benefits children. Most of the people who work there are hispanic because they are bilingual and the organization has alot of spanish children in it. One worker (who is legal) took off for 4 days about a month ago to Mexico to get her "illegal" boyfriend out of jail. She never called into work until she got back....they gave her another chance and put her on probation. She is the ONLY one who didn't show up to work today....she told a co-worker she would not be here today sometime last week......she never called in today, even with the old "I'm sick" trick...she just didn't call in PERIOD!!

Guess what?? IF she comes back to work tomorrow, she will find out that she has been "terminated"......she broke the rules of her 90 day probation.

So, my question is this....what does it matter if they are "legal" or "illegal"?

mistanice
05-01-2006, 10:43 PM
We all know that illegals are willing to work for lesser wages. espn1 was saying that what they did was costing him money. Most of the time when those employers who practice this, are saving money in the long run.

Now im not trying to make any accusations.

LH Panther Mom
05-02-2006, 06:07 AM
espn1 was saying that what they did was costing him money.
If there's mudding to be done and the mud crew doesn't show up, then the job doesn't get done and his deadline to finish has been pushed back. Whatever comes after can't take place until it's finished either. It really doesn't matter if they're legal or not....they did not show up to work to do their jobs, which costs him money.