PDA

View Full Version : Texans/Williams agree to terms

3afan
04-28-2006, 07:20 PM
ESPN just reported the Texans will not take Reggie Bush with the first pick - they have agreed to terms with with Mario Williams

how about that?

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2006, 07:25 PM
Look for new orleans to get ALL SORTS of offers for the #2 pick

schu1213
04-28-2006, 08:06 PM
Dumbest move ever

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by schu1213
Dumbest move ever

Mario Williams = Sam Bowie

wedo
04-28-2006, 08:27 PM
i think that the texans just made a big mistake!!! If they weren't going to take Young or Bush the next best choice would have been D'brickashw Ferguson!!!

sahen
04-28-2006, 08:28 PM
the Texans now top my idiot list.....they are my team but if they really do this then im not watching NFL next year....

kepdawg
04-28-2006, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by sahen
if they really do this then im not watching NFL next year....

There doesn't appear to be any IF about it.

Old Tiger
04-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
Mario Williams = Sam Bowie You're stupid my friend

Mario Williams = Reggie White

sahen
04-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg
There doesn't appear to be any IF about it. yah...maybe i shouldnt say that i wont watch the NFL cause i wont be able to not watch, but they better know something about this guy that a lot of people dont because if Reggie Bush and Vince Young both end up pro bowlers and this Mario Williams guy ends up a bust there is going to be heck to pay in Houston for it....

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
You're stupid my friend

Mario Williams = Reggie White

potentially, but like the ESPN guys have said... Young and Bush = Jordanesque... and that is something you DON'T pass up.

Bulldog_12
04-28-2006, 08:41 PM
F the Texans. Dumbest move EVER! Watch for tickets sales to drop even more after this bonehead move.

kaorder1999
04-28-2006, 08:46 PM
i think its great!!!! Because of this crap Reggie Bush and his family is pulling I wish failure on him!!! Muahhahahah

WOSgrad
04-28-2006, 08:52 PM
the Texans now top my idiot list.....they are my team but if they really do this then im not watching NFL next year....

Looks like there are no ifs about it:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3828229.html

Bulldog_12
04-28-2006, 08:53 PM
I dont care what they did. They lived in a free house, I would too if I had the chance. No matter what, the kid was a straight ATHLETE! You dont pass on that calibur of a athlete.

shellman54
04-28-2006, 08:59 PM
Not only are the Texans blowing this years pick, they are going to get the first draft pick next year as well, and would make the brilliant (sarcastic) pick of Johnny Bigleg, a punter from Wisconsin Dairy Tech. Seriously though, why use the overall #1 pick on a type of player that comes around every 2-3 years, and not on a talent that comes around every 20 years? I will not watch any game this year, not with the dimwits running the front office.

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by shellman54
Not only are the Texans blowing this years pick, they are going to get the first draft pick next year as well, and would make the brilliant (sarcastic) pick of Johnny Bigleg, a punter from Wisconsin Dairy Tech. Seriously though, why use the overall #1 pick on a type of player that comes around every 2-3 years, and not on a talent that comes around every 20 years? I will not watch any game this year, not with the dimwits running the front office.

hell, trade down and get more picks...

wedo
04-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by shellman54

Exactly!!!! They will suck even more than last year!! Carr will be sacked 70 times again and Williams won't matter!!

Bulldog_12
04-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by wedo
Exactly!!!! They will suck even more than last year!! Carr will be sacked 70 times again and Williams won't matter!!

YES! If you are going after a lineman, trade down and go after Justice. An O-lineman would have made more of a difference than a D-line would. It would have made more fans happy too because at least they would have had more to show than just the lineman. i.e. extra picks and or players.

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2006, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
YES! If you are going after a lineman, trade down and go after Justice. An O-lineman would have made more of a difference than a D-line would. It would have made more fans happy too because at least they would have had more to show than just the lineman. i.e. extra picks and or players.

dont put Dub Jus that early. Go after DBrick...

PhiI C
04-28-2006, 10:19 PM
Well that's the Houston Texans for you. :rolleyes:

lostaussie
04-28-2006, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Well that's the Houston Texans for you. :rolleyes: i'm thinking right about now, the texan faithful, ain't very happy:(

Crimestick
04-28-2006, 10:23 PM
According to all of the charts, Bush was the #1 player in the draft and Williams was #2. After that was Ferguson. I, personally, would like them to have taken either Ferguson or Vernon Davis if they were going to skip Bush. If it wasn't for Bush being in this draft - a player that everyone is calling a "once in a generation type player" - then I would be fine with this pick. I'm sick right now. Houston just passed on a franchise icon and a potential superstar. Say what you want about them passing on Young, but it's not NEARLY the same thing. There was Reggie Bush, and there was the rest of the draft. VY was #7 on most of the clearinghouse draft prospect boards. Maybe this is a dream.

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'm thinking right about now, the texan faithful, ain't very happy:(

myself, and 2 of my close friends, all texan fans, are digusted right now

Maroon87
04-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Well that's the Houston Texans for you. :rolleyes:

SHOW SOME COMPASSION!!!:mad: ;)

SintonFan_inAustin
04-28-2006, 10:32 PM
Join the Dallas Cowboys SuperBowl Bound Wagon, All Texans welcomed:D

Bulldog_12
04-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
Join the Dallas Cowboys SuperBound Wagon, All Texans welcomed:D

Superbound?? Sounds shady, I dont know if I want on that.;)

District303aPastPlayer
04-28-2006, 10:36 PM
hah... i made a joke all offseason long on how the Texans are getting Reggie Bush and my coworker's Cowboys wouldn't... yeah i look pretty stupid right now...

PhiI C
04-28-2006, 10:38 PM
hah... i made a joke all offseason long on how the Texans are getting Reggie Bush and my coworker's Cowboys wouldn't... yeah i look pretty stupid right now...

SHOW SOME COMPASSION! :mad:

That may be the next Lawrence Taylor who led NY to two Super Bowl Wins!

SintonFan_inAustin
04-28-2006, 10:38 PM
now wouldnt it be silly if Jerry Jones comes up with something to get Reggie Bush :D

lostaussie
04-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
i'm thinking right about now, the texan faithful, ain't very happy:( evidently, it ain't getting any better.

Bull's-eye
04-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Look for new orleans to get ALL SORTS of offers for the #2 pick

Why weren't the Texans getting those offers? :thinking: The Texans just gave N.O. an early Christmas present or they are still doing their part to aid the Katrina recovery program.

PhiI C
04-28-2006, 11:56 PM
Casserly lied and said they were going to take Bush and that was after they knew about Bush's problems with the house so that isn't no excuse.

big daddy russ
04-29-2006, 01:25 AM
I don't care what anybody else says, I've said from the get-go that they should go with 1.) D'Brick or 2.) Hawk, or 3.) Williams no matter which top pick they wound up with, and it looks like they're staying at number one.

The only one guy in this draft that has absolutely no questions in my mind is Hawk. He will be the next stud LB, and that's why I penciled him in second. D'Brick is second on the list of "most likely to succeed", and he fills the Texans' single greatest need, pushing him (obviously, at least in my mind) to number one. While Williams does have his flaws (I'm always wary of anyone who doesn't have a nonstop motor) he has fewer than Bush as far as what I've seen, has been described as a similar-caliber athlete by many NFL scouts, and (most importantly) turns TWO of the Texans' weaknesses into strengths. He fills a need at DE, and helps cover up their inadequecies in the secondary.

As far as Bush, don't get me started on that runaway hype train. Bush can't create his own holes, he's a big guy who plays small, and (listen to this!) he needs a line to help him out. He isn't getting that with the Texans, no matter what their fans think.

In 1991, Rocket Ismail was that "can't miss" talent that everyone was trying to get. Unfortunately, nobody but the Toronto Argonauts wanted to give him $3M per, so he signed with them. Never became they guy everyone thought he would. Meanwhile, the Falcons drafted a QB from Southern Mississippi with the sixth pick of the second round. Solid prospect, but not on the Rocket Ismail/Heath Shuler/Rick Mirer level. QB was some kid named Fav-ruh. Fav-reh. Farva. Either way, he took Green Bay to a couple of SuperBowls.

In 1999, Philly fans wanted a Heisman Trophy-winning RB out of the University of Texas, and they let their management know it. They wound up with a QB who's been the best, most consistent signal caller in the NFC ever since.

So I don't want to hear all the wannabe Mel Kipers out there griping about this pick. How good of a pick this is won'tl be decided for a couple of years.

Can't wait to see the draft tomorrow. Love Merril Hoge (is he the only guy out there with the cojones to disagree with Kiper?), and I want to see how the rest of the Texans' and Dolphins' (they're my team) drafts play out.

On that note, let me be the first to say GREAT MOVE, CHARLIE!!!!!!!

sahen
04-29-2006, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
On that note, let me be the first to say GREAT MOVE, CHARLIE!!!!!!!

well....u should have great options for where u want ur tickets when u go to the game cause ur about the only texans fan that isnt going "***????" right now....i hope ur right but i have a lot of doubts that Williams will be anywhere near the talent of Bush....only time will tell....

3afan
04-29-2006, 05:53 AM
I dont care what they did. They lived in a free house, I would too if I had the chance. No matter what, the kid was a straight ATHLETE! You dont pass on that calibur of a athlete.

apparently the house was not "free" - they just didnt pay the rent - there's a difference

LH Panther Mom
04-29-2006, 08:51 AM
In 1991, Rocket Ismail was that "can't miss" talent that everyone was trying to get. Unfortunately, nobody but the Toronto Argonauts wanted to give him $3M per, so he signed with them. Never became they guy everyone thought he would.
I was about to ask who that guy was. :doh:

I'm not one to keep up with who's who in the draft, what order, rounds, etc. Heck, I would even venture to guess that in the first round, I've maybe heard of 5 or 6 of the guys (outside of here).

It seems to me, that a team will draft what they're most in need of. The Texans don't need VY (sorry Phil). Honestly, Bush didn't impress me that much in the Rose Bowl. Maybe it was because UT's defense took the wind out of his sails. If anyone thinks he won't run into defenses that good and better in the NFL, I've got some oceanside property for sale. ;) I know next to nothing about this guy they want, but if he helps them win games, then the seats will fill. And ultimately, for a GM/owner & coaches in the NFL, winning games is what it's about.

Maroon87
04-29-2006, 09:01 AM
The Texans definitely needed a difference maker on defense. My only worry about Williams was a report I saw that a high number of his sacks came against some of the ACC weak sisters. There aren't any Dukes or Wake Forests in the NFL, last I checked.

LH Panther Mom
04-29-2006, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
My only worry about Williams was a report I saw that a high number of his sacks came against some of the ACC weak sisters. There aren't any Dukes or Wake Forests in the NFL, last I checked.
Nor any of those "weak" Pac 10 teams where Bush got most of his yards. :D I'm sure Keith will have some kind of response. ;)

Bulldog_12
04-29-2006, 09:40 AM
All I am saying, is that if the Texans wanted Williams, they should have traded down with the Jets, who by the way is going ape trying to trade up with the Saints right now. That would have given them the fourth pick in the draft, and possible more picks in later rounds or even cash or veteran players. Either way, it would have helped the Texans a lot more than just getting Williams would.

griff
04-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Like most of you, I was STUNNED when I heard the news. My preference all along was that the Texans pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson #1, but I knew they wouldn't. Every indication was that they would take Bush. At first it seemed all the talk from the Texans about Williams was an attempt to gain contract negotiating room with Bush, but now we see they were serious all along.

I believe over time we will see that there was something more to why they didn't take Bush. It was reported that the Texans and Bush were miles apart on the contract talks. It could be that they didn't want to get bogged down in negotiations with Bush that would drag into the regular season, especially with a new Head Coach and staff coming in. I'm not confident the "free rent house" issue with Bush's family factors into this. That will come back to bite USC, but it has no effect on Bush's pro career. My personal take is that this was a contract issue. Now, if it turns out that the Texans were cheapskates with Bush, then they've blown it in a major way. However, I don't think that's what happened here. Bush and his agent asked for a Fort Knox contract and overplayed their hand.

The Texans had Bush rated as their top offensive prospect and Williams their top defensive prospect (according to the team needs). So, barring injuries, Williams will become a dominant pro-bowl caliber player. He's not my first (or even second) choice, but it's still a good pick and a player who will make a definite difference on defense.

Crimestick
04-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Casserly lied and said they were going to take Bush and that was after they knew about Bush's problems with the house so that isn't no excuse.

Casserley NEVER said they were definitely going to take Bush. In fact, he repeatedly corrected people who assumed so. Over the last few days, he said that the house issues would not affect the decision, and that they were torn between Bush and Williams.

injuredinmelee
04-29-2006, 10:24 AM
I called my brother who is a huge Texans fan and lives in Houston this morning and he is livid. I asked him what the Texans were thinking and his words are they are trying to alienate every fan they have. The logical choices were Bush or Young. I cant imagine Casserly being there when the season begins.

LH Panther Mom
04-29-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The logical choices were Bush or Young.
Logical to the fans? :confused:

pirate4state
04-29-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
now wouldnt it be silly if Jerry Jones comes up with something to get Reggie Bush :D LOL :D

big daddy russ
04-29-2006, 11:14 AM
All I am saying, is that if the Texans wanted Williams, they should have traded down with the Jets, who by the way is going ape trying to trade up with the Saints right now. That would have given them the fourth pick in the draft, and possible more picks in later rounds or even cash or veteran players. Either way, it would have helped the Texans a lot more than just getting Williams would.
Williams would've probably gone number two. Reportedly, he was far and away the second-ranked prospect on just about every team's draft board and that's who the NO Saints were high on. It was either him or Ferguson going at number two if Bush didn't slide.

Apparently, there were some offers for the first overall pick (the Jets have contacted the Texans), but nobody was willing to give up what the pick was worth to move into the spot. Now before you say, "who cares about the draft value chart," remember that that you're on a slippery slope. Once you concede the first pick for less than it's worth, no team will give you full value for a pick through the rest of the draft.

big daddy russ
04-29-2006, 11:16 AM
well....u should have great options for where u want ur tickets when u go to the game cause ur about the only texans fan that isnt going "***????" right now....i hope ur right but i have a lot of doubts that Williams will be anywhere near the talent of Bush....only time will tell....
If the Texans start winning, they'll start selling out. Bush or Vince will put fans in the seats for one season. A winning team will put them in the seats for much longer.

gato 76
04-29-2006, 11:22 AM
If the Texans start winning, they'll start selling out. Bush or Vince will put fans in the seats for one season. A winning team will put them in the seats for much longer.

Don't hold your breath big daddy russ,i don't see the texans winning anytime soon.I not in total shock by what the texans have done after all they resigned one of the worst centers in the NFL M McKinney.

big daddy russ
04-29-2006, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by gato 76
Don't hold your breath big daddy russ,i don't see the texans winning anytime soon.I not in total shock by what the texans have done after all they resigned one of the worst centers in the NFL M McKinney.
They took their first, big step by not making a LATERAL move in the draft. Davis is a 1,500+ yard back with a good line. If Kubiak can do here what he did in Denver, Davis will be mentioned in the same breath as Shawn Alexander and LaDanian Tomlinson.

And remember, they picked up another C in free agency. Got Mike Flanagan from GB. While I'm not an NFL personnel director, everything I've heard is that McKinney and Weigert are their only two decent linemen, and I know Weigert was a top-level guard when he was in Jacksonville. If they pick up a couple of Tackles (and I can tell you right now that Wand and Weary are HORRIBLE, no matter what anyone tells you) then they could move Weigert back inside to his natural position, and maybe slide McKinney over to guard. He fits Kubiak's system well, as an agile blocker.

griff
04-29-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I called my brother who is a huge Texans fan and lives in Houston this morning and he is livid. I asked him what the Texans were thinking and his words are they are trying to alienate every fan they have. The logical choices were Bush or Young. I cant imagine Casserly being there when the season begins.

The "logical" choices? Nope, your brother is off the mark. The Texans stated a few days ago that they would pick either Bush or Williams. Some of the fans wanted to see Young picked, but that was not the "logical" pick - rather it was a fan favorite. It was obvious Young was not in their plans. The Texans signed David Carr to an $8 million extension. He is their man.

I'm hoping they pick up Reggie McNeal in the later rounds. He would be an immediate upgrade to back up Carr.

gato 76
04-29-2006, 11:36 AM
They took their first, big step by not making a LATERAL move in the draft. Davis is a 1,500+ yard back with a good line. If Kubiak can do here what he did in Denver, Davis will be mentioned in the same breath as Shawn Alexander and LaDanian Tomlinson.

And remember, they picked up another C in free agency. Got Mike Flanagan from GB. While I'm not an NFL personnel director, everything I've heard is that McKinney and Weigert are their only two decent linemen, and I know Weigert was a top-level guard when he was in Jacksonville. If they pick up a couple of Tackles (and I can tell you right now that Wand and Weary are HORRIBLE, no matter what anyone tells you) then they could move Weigert back inside to his natural position, and maybe slide McKinney over to guard. He fits Kubiak's system well, as an agile blocker.

Have to agree with you about Davis,he is a very good back with a good line,but maybe thet could have drafed R.B.,then trade him for some expienced off linemen,who knows what will happen i might have to watch more of the Cowboy games this year.

sahen
04-29-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by griff

I'm hoping they pick up Reggie McNeal in the later rounds. He would be an immediate upgrade to back up Carr.
i just threw up in my mouth.....McNeal isnt going to be a pro Quaterback, prolly a wideout if anything....