PDA

View Full Version : I want your opinion, What do you think about...

NHSRattler60
04-27-2006, 02:30 PM
...Voting from ages 18-24.

I'm writing a paper over it and i think it helps to have insight on this stuff.

Do you vote?

What do you think we could do to increase voting from 18-24?

Anything you wanna add?

BJG40
04-27-2006, 02:38 PM
You prolly already have this point but if someone is old enough to die for their country they better be old enough to vote.
I'm in that age group and I voted in the last presidential race. Hah I know that probably wont help much but its all i've got at the moment.

injuredinmelee
04-27-2006, 02:40 PM
I think that voting at those ages are great and that before they do they need to do what eveyone should do.. research so that you are making a choice that you feel is the right one. Do a little work and see where the candidates stand on every issue that you feel is important. Check into bond referendums or local issues before voting. The most important thing though IMO is to vote with your head not your heart. There are too many decisions in all walks of life in which emotions are used as the deciding factor. Life is about more than how you feel or what you want it is about logic and common sense. Its much easier to rest comfortably with a decision reached in the long run if you use reasoning that is free of drama or preconcieved notions.

GreenMonster
04-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Here's an idea. Teach our youth from K-12 how important it is to vote. The govt funds much of the education system so make it a requirement for schools to really push how important voting is for that school to be eligible for govt funds. The real job of public school is to teach our youth how to be successful in life or at least give them the tools to be successful in life. This has been forgotten or pushed to the back burner due to politicians stressing teacher accountability. Instead of teachers teaching life skills they are teaching how to score well on a test. Hey People!!!! Life is not black and white, cut and dried. There is a lot of gray areas in life that you have to figure out for yourself and forcing our educators to teach to a test is cutting the legs out from under our youth and they are walking into the world blind. Take what is taught in the classroom away from the politicians and put it back into the hands of the educators and our world will be a much better place.

NHSRattler60
04-27-2006, 02:41 PM
anything you wanna say is free to say. I'm already pretty much done with my paper.

What about the drinking age being raised to 21 due to the lack of votes from the 18-20 demagraphic?

BJG40
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Here's an idea. Teach our youth from K-12 how important it is to vote. The govt funds much of the education system so make it a requirement for schools to really push how important voting is for that school to be eligible for govt funds. The real job of public school is to teach our youth how to be successful in life or at least give them the tools to be successful in life. This has been forgotten or pushed to the back burner due to politicians stressing teacher accountability. Instead of teachers teaching life skills they are teaching how to score well on a test. Hey People!!!! Life is not black and white, cut and dried. There is a lot of gray areas in life that you have to figure out for yourself and forcing our educators to teach to a test is cutting the legs out from under our youth and they are walking into the world blind. Take what is taught in the classroom away from the politicians and put it back into the hands of the educators and our world will be a much better place.

Very much agreed!

NateDawg39
04-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by NHSRattler60
anything you wanna say is free to say. I'm already pretty much done with my paper.

What about the drinking age being raised to 21 due to the lack of votes from the 18-20 demagraphic? If I can be old enough to be told to go and die for my country, I think I would like to vote.

GreenMonster
04-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by NateDawg39
If I can be old enough to be told to go and die for my country, I think I would like to vote.

Most definitely! 18 to vote! I have to stick with the 21 to drink though. There are lessons to be learned from not being old enough to drink but doing it anyways. Such as being responsible enough not to get caught and staying under control.

NHSRattler60
04-27-2006, 02:50 PM
Agreed. Haha.

NHSRattler60
04-27-2006, 05:20 PM
ttt

big daddy russ
04-27-2006, 07:09 PM
I'm sure you already know this, but that age group is the least politically active of any of the the age groups. Most people don't start voting until they close in on 30. On that note, I don't think it's a good idea to raise the voting age. At 18, you're considered an adult and rightfully so. The way a Republic works (and we live in a REPUBLIC, not a democracy), you're supposed to have a say in the people that handle your tax dollars and make laws affecting your daily life. At 18, many kids are already making a living for themselves and paying taxes. If you can be put in the electric chair, sent oversees to fight for our country, sign up for the selective service, and fund our government then you can d@mn well vote.

sinton66
04-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I don't mind the 18 yr olds voting , but I would oppose lowering the legal drinking age to 18 without a highschool graduation or entry into the military first. No 18 year old still in highschool needs to be drinking. I know what I was like at that age, and it wasn't cool like I thought it was at the time. I was a danger to myself and others at times.

PPHSfan
04-27-2006, 08:10 PM
I don't think there should be an age limit on voting. I think there should be an IQ limit.

I think you should have to prove an IQ of at least 110 to vote. This would solve a lot of the world's problems.

I also think you should have to have an IQ of a at least 125 to get a drivers license. And an IQ of at least 140 before you think about fathering children, or becoming pregnant.:D

Hupernikomen
04-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I don't think there should be an age limit on voting. I think there should be an IQ limit.

I think you should have to prove an IQ of at least 110 to vote. This would solve a lot of the world's problems.

I also think you should have to have an IQ of a at least 125 to get a drivers license. And an IQ of at least 140 before you think about fathering children, or becoming pregnant.:D

:nerd: :nerd: is all we would see everywhere..

PPHSfan
04-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
:nerd: :nerd: is all we would see everywhere..

There are plenty of beautiful people with high IQ's. It's not just for geeks anymore.

West22
04-27-2006, 08:48 PM
Young people should vote as soon as they are eligable.When you vote you then have the right to state your opinions .The youth are the future of this country so try to leave it a better place than some of our generation have left for you .

big daddy russ
04-27-2006, 08:50 PM

The average person has an IQ of 100. You're considered a genius at 130.

If those were the only people who could have kids, maybe we'd finally beat China at test scores. Not a bad idea, PPHS.

big daddy russ
04-27-2006, 08:53 PM
...I also think you should have to have an IQ of a at least 125 to get a drivers license....
I have an IQ of at least 125 but I think I'm Earnhardt, Jr. out on the highway. Do I get to keep my license? :D