lostaussie
04-27-2006, 01:23 PM
from smoaky.com

Gilmer appears all but set to open against Bishop Gorman:

High School: Las Vegas Bishop Gorman
Nickname: Gaels (Irish Knight)
Colors: Blue and Orange
Enrollment: 940

OU signee's Demarcus Murray (RB) and Ryan Reynolds (LB) both played at Bishop Gorman from Las Vegas.

No contract has been signed, but that's who is the leading candidate to open against Gilmer in 2006.

gobblerfan02
04-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie

No contract has been signed, but that's who is the leading candidate to open against Gilmer in 2006.

so what...Gilmer's now taking a vote to see who will play them first or what?

Manck
04-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Since Canton cancelled, and the Classic is run by Titus Sports Marketing, all parties involved wanted to make sure it would be a competitive game, and not bring in De La Salle or something.

Traylor has the opportunity to approve or decline any proposed opponent, from what I can tell.

Bishop Gorman looks like a solid, evenly matched opponent, from what I can tell.

Manck
04-27-2006, 02:20 PM
So Gilmer's new TENTATIVE schedule looks like this
-----
2006 Gilmer Buckeyes
08/31 Las Vegas Bishop Gorman (E.T. Classic, TMF Rose, Tyler)
09/08 Tatum
09/15 at Daingerfield
09/22 Open
09/29 Center
10/06 at Atlanta
1013 Sabine (Homecoming)
10/20 White Oak
10/27 at Mineola
11/03 Spring Hill
11/10 at Gladewater

tdsteele
04-27-2006, 03:26 PM
They look weak to me. They attempted less than 100 passes on their 9 game season. Of course they were a rushing team. More importantly, they faced only 72 pass attempt against them last year....THE WHOLE SEASON. Gilmer will attempt 40 against them in their first game. It looked like they play a weak private school schedule. Their only loss was to public Las Vegas High and their start RB only had 31 yards rushing and they only attempted 8 or 9 passes. They better have speed to burn or it could be ugly.

Aesculus gilmus
04-27-2006, 03:36 PM
So I take it you're saying it wouldn't be wise to put any money on the team from Vegas?

Will there be a line on this game?

Hupernikomen
04-27-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by tdsteele
They look weak to me. They attempted less than 100 passes on their 9 game season. Of course they were a rushing team.

How often you throw the ball has nothing to do with how good you are. Liberty Hill doesn't throw the ball that often and does a heck of a job. Perhaps this is exactly the kind of team that could give Gilmer a real challenge. A smashmouth, time consuming offense against an air it out all the time offense..could be an interesting game.

PPHSfan
04-27-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Manck
Since Canton cancelled, and the Classic is run by Titus Sports Marketing, all parties involved wanted to make sure it would be a competitive game, and not bring in De La Salle or something.

Traylor has the opportunity to approve or decline any proposed opponent, from what I can tell.

Bishop Gorman looks like a solid, evenly matched opponent, from what I can tell.

I think the only way the game would not be competitive with De La Salle, would be Gilmer rolling De La Salle by forty.

lostaussie
04-27-2006, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
How often you throw the ball has nothing to do with how good you are. Liberty Hill doesn't throw the ball that often and does a heck of a job. Perhaps this is exactly the kind of team that could give Gilmer a real challenge. A smashmouth, time consuming offense against an air it out all the time offense..could be an interesting game. me thinks you make a very good point. if we don't stop the run, we will be in trouble.

Aesculus gilmus
04-28-2006, 06:12 AM
The last running team to give Gilmer a hard time was Pittsburg during our final regular season game of 2004. They had a back named Billy Martin whom Gilmer couldn't really stop. However, Daniel Dodd, our best player on defense, had to miss that game because of pancreatitis. The Buckeyes eventually pulled it out, 22-18, IIRC, on a show-stopping long TD pass from Manuel Johnson to Tay Bowser.

Well, I'm leaving out the Daingerfield regular season loss last season. But the Tigers were running the spread much of that game.

The last classic "smashmouth" running team to line up and beat the Buckeyes was Atlanta in the quarterfinals of 2003, also in Tyler. I think the final score was 34-14.

Hupernikomen
04-28-2006, 10:00 AM
I believe one of the best weapons against the spread is to keep the ball out of their hands. Guess that is true of any offense, but especially the spread. Grind the ball and score and get them all upset about not winning by 28 at halftime and allow the pressure to build. I have seen it many times that the more talented team loses to a well coached team with a good game plan. This is what it will take to beat Gilmer this year IMO.

tdsteele
04-28-2006, 04:45 PM
I agree that a good rushing team can give Gilmer trouble. Did I mention that their primary rushing weapon graduated? If I think there is not much of a chance of getting burned through the air, a good team will stack and stop the run or slow it down enough. From the stats, it doesn't look like they are capable of scoring 50 against Gilmer and that is what it is going to take. They can try to grind it but I think Gilmer could still manage 4 scores in their sleep, so you think they can put up more than 28 grinding it out? The answer is no, barring turnovers.

More importantly, did I mention that there were only 72 pass ATTEMPTS against Bishop Gorman last season? Gilmer will wing it more than half that in the opening game. They will see 20-25 pass attempts in the FIRST HALF. I hope they watch a lot of film of the spread.

It tells me that they played a weak patsy schedule. For example in the travel game against the team from Washington State, they won something like 63-19, with 9 rushing TDs. The opposition had a 3.5 yd rushing average but was still getting pounded and ONLY attempted 3 or 4 passes. Now that tells me that the competition was very one dimensional and weak. Most of their boxscores went something like that except that several were close like 21-19. In their loss to a quality opponent, the public Las Vegas High, their star RB, Murray (OU signee) had 31 yards rushing and they attempted only 7-9 passes I believe. Even good teams have trouble stopping a polished passing attack. HS kids cannot cover for the most part. See 2005 Canton vs Gilmer. Weak, I tell you.